Bendigo 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Bendigo squad for 2012

Stroobants hasn't played a senior game for Bendigo in years.....

So annoyed that Bendigofc still haven't got the new site up and running, they said it would be done by mid Jan...

he's played a few. definitely played last round of last season in case we needed some extra players qualified for the finals series. but he's a depth player only imo, certainly not 1st choice. having 5 players drafted has cut a hole in the bendigo list though, so finding replacements is going to be important.

Matt Little is staying with Bendigo too. could form a useful forward line with Maddern (ignoring essendon-listed players in this discussion).

bendigo website should be up and running soon. practice matches start in a few weeks

shouldn't be weakened significantly i wouldn't have thought.

Dickson is a big loss, Biggs wasn't a star, Dunnell was handy but again not a star, Campbell was good but only played 7 games.

Guys like TSlatts will be a significant loss but if they can recruit a ruckman coupled with likely at least a couple of Lee, Baguley and Dell'Olio they should be at least as good and better balanced. Ladson should help too. Wouldn't mind if they recruited another key defender as insurance either.

Dyson, slatts, Prismall will play regularly for Bendigo in the early season anyway.

So they will have some experience around.

Prismall's injured, wouldn't expect much of him in the first month (when do Bendigo start???)

Vfl generally starts a week after the afl.

I reckon he would be a chance to make a return for a quarter/ half by round. 2 or 3. And playing the first half of the year in the Bendigo side until he recaptures form and fitness

I'd envisage a fairly competitive lineup as such during the season:

B: Ladson, Shinners, McVeigh (Hibberd replacing him in ones)
HB: Long, Carlisle, Browne
C: Kavanagh, Duscher, Dyson
HF: Lovett-Murray, Steinberg, Ross
F: Little, Maddern, Dell'Olio
Foll: Bellchambers, Lee, Colyer
Int: Davis, Merrett, O'Brien, H.Slattery, Dalgliesh, Hunter

Then you've got Gumbleton, Winderlich, Prismall who all might spend some time early in the VFL recovering from injury etc.

You know the list is much stronger when H.Slattery is resigned to the VFL bench.

Should be more competition for spots this year - last year Williams, Daniher, Welsh, Winderlich, Dempsey, Prismall, Gumbleton, Long were all out for long periods. We could only be optimistic that it won't be this bad in 2012!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd envisage a fairly competitive lineup as such during the season:

B: Ladson, Shinners, McVeigh (Hibberd replacing him in ones)
HB: Long, Carlisle, Browne
C: Kavanagh, Duscher, Dyson
HF: Lovett-Murray, Steinberg, Ross
F: Little, Maddern, Dell'Olio
Foll: Bellchambers, Lee, Colyer
Int: Davis, Merrett, O'Brien, H.Slattery, Dalgliesh, Hunter

Then you've got Gumbleton, Winderlich, Prismall who all might spend some time early in the VFL recovering from injury etc.

You know the list is much stronger when H.Slattery is resigned to the VFL bench.

Should be more competition for spots this year - last year Williams, Daniher, Welsh, Winderlich, Dempsey, Prismall, Gumbleton, Long were all out for long periods. We could only be optimistic that it won't be this bad in 2012!

Good to see you putting your own bias out there again.
Slattery may not be AFL standard but he is up to VFL and will not be a bench player and to say he is not shows the blinkers are on big time.

There might be some more Bendigo signings, but on the current list Shinners would be the back-up ruckman. or -if efcboy's team is on the money, and Knighter seezes control of the coaches box again - Lovett-murray.

cut it whichever way you like, essendon's decision to run with just three rucks on both lists is a dicey one. Ruckmen tend to get injured. and if they do opt for the "three-ruck policy" at times this year, Bendigo won't field a genuine one at all.

I'd say someone else will surely be added to the Bendigo list that they could reach for if needed.

Ben Allen is listed on the site, has he been there before? He is South Bendigo's ruck so they at least have some kind of backup.

Good to see you putting your own bias out there again.
Slattery may not be AFL standard but he is up to VFL and will not be a bench player and to say he is not shows the blinkers are on big time.

both ladson and mcveigh have proven to be superior players at both vfl/afl level than h.slattery and i would expect both long and browne to be given more opportunities to develop than h.slattery. they both have far superior potential and the coaches will want to give them game time to see their worth and develop them. whether the essendon listed slattery gets an opportunity ahead of ladson for this reason remains to be seen but i know who the better player is.

h.slattery can only play small-medium defender role and yes i have him behind all of the above and hardingham, heppell, hibberd and fletcher who fill these roles in the seniors cpmplimentiing pears and hooker in the KD roles forming the back six.

however as we know injuries will hit so the ideal team is unlikely to be seen and guys like h.slattery will get a gig inevitably

There might be some more Bendigo signings, but on the current list Shinners would be the back-up ruckman. or -if efcboy's team is on the money, and Knighter seezes control of the coaches box again - Lovett-murray.

cut it whichever way you like, essendon's decision to run with just three rucks on both lists is a dicey one. Ruckmen tend to get injured. and if they do opt for the "three-ruck policy" at times this year, Bendigo won't field a genuine one at all.

I'd say someone else will surely be added to the Bendigo list that they could reach for if needed.

essendon would have rookied tom campbell but the bulldogs pinched him.

i'd see maddern as being the 2nd ruck in the team playing a leigh brown type role (20% ruck) and if bellchambers is out the bendigo boy ben allen would get a gig.

But what you're forgetting is all the new blokes are new, and new is ALWAYS better. At least until they've played a game.

i didn't actually replace him with anyone new. mcveigh/ladson slightly older than hank whilst browne/long are not new but have superior potential.

essendon would have rookied tom campbell but the bulldogs pinched him.

i'd see maddern as being the 2nd ruck in the team playing a leigh brown type role (20% ruck) and if bellchambers is out the bendigo boy ben allen would get a gig.
Maddern wont spend time in the ruck - he isn't big enough.
McVeigh wont be in the 2nds as he is too good.
Slatts will not be on the bench as he is too good.
Gumby will be CHF for Bendigo if he manages to get fit.

both ladson and mcveigh have proven to be superior players at both vfl/afl level than h.slattery and i would expect both long and browne to be given more opportunities to develop than h.slattery. they both have far superior potential and the coaches will want to give them game time to see their worth and develop them. whether the essendon listed slattery gets an opportunity ahead of ladson for this reason remains to be seen but i know who the better player is.

h.slattery can only play small-medium defender role and yes i have him behind all of the above and hardingham, heppell, hibberd and fletcher who fill these roles in the seniors cpmplimentiing pears and hooker in the KD roles forming the back six.

however as we know injuries will hit so the ideal team is unlikely to be seen and guys like h.slattery will get a gig inevitably

Slattery has played midfield and done it well in the VFL.
If you think he will be starting on the bench then you are in dream land and the fact is your bias is so bad against Slattery that you can not admit he is a good VFL player which he is.
It does not matter what the pecking order is in the seniors and if he is up to getting selected. He will get picked on the field in the VFL side.

And i doubt McVeigh will be playing too much seconds, lets start to be a little real about things. He is no lock in my best 22 but he is still very much at the top end of the order within the club.

i didn't actually replace him with anyone new. mcveigh/ladson slightly older than hank whilst browne/long are not new but have superior potential.

So we no longer pick sides on form ?

So we no longer pick sides on form ?

AFL aligned VFL sides are not picked on form - you know as well as i know that a large chunk of selection is based on development when it comes to AFL aligned teams which Bendigo is.

McVeigh is massively over-rated now - too slow for midfield and behind several in seniors now. He's a chance for a small defenders role in AFL but I have Hibberd just ahead of him. Hibberd is that little bit quicker so just gets the nod but certainly not much in it.

Slattery is terrible in the midfield. He is average as a stopper but will inevitably get games due to injuries etc. I don't think anyones naive enough to suggest we'll go through a season without many. Is Slattery a good VFL player? Probably is but that doesn't help the AFL team - developing guys like Long/Browne etc who can be better than just good VFL players (like Slattery) is more important for Essendon long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back