Bendigo FL discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Some really interesting discussion here that should be going on at AFLCV. Unfortunately this isn’t the case as they are generally oblivious to the issues facing footy around the region and the high turnover of staff doesn’t help either. Whilst others may say the BFNL is going ok I think otherwise, same teams year after year up top and lack of foresight/ direction of growing footy in the area and supporting clubs that are struggling.

I keep going back to the lack of foresight in the northern growth corridor of Bendigo, whilst we are now talking about Maiden Gully, why wasn’t a BFNL club relocated/ established out at Epsom at the facility there, what a missed opportunity. At no time was this considered by those overseeing the game In the region. I also see the general waning interest in footy around Bendigo at finals time with the same teams competing. As a neutral supporter I get tired of the same teams dominating the competition each year, it does become boring.

With the points system, trust me it is a rort and has done nothing to improve competitions or their competitive nature. It isn’t just BFNL clubs that ‘play the game’ by offering other incentives to players to come to their respective club to play. The whole system is broken and to be honest we would be better off without it.

Unfortunately any review needs to be done by someone clearly removed from the competition as whatever the outcome the Bendigo based clubs won’t be supportive as they seem to like the way things remain which is consistent dominance of their competition. The ‘head in the sand’ attitude/ mentality is alive and well.

Some really interesting discussion here that should be going on at AFLCV. Unfortunately this isn’t the case as they are generally oblivious to the issues facing footy around the region and the high turnover of staff doesn’t help either. Whilst others may say the BFNL is going ok I think otherwise, same teams year after year up top and lack of foresight/ direction of growing footy in the area and supporting clubs that are struggling.

I keep going back to the lack of foresight in the northern growth corridor of Bendigo, whilst we are now talking about Maiden Gully, why wasn’t a BFNL club relocated/ established out at Epsom at the facility there, what a missed opportunity. At no time was this considered by those overseeing the game In the region. I also see the general waning interest in footy around Bendigo at finals time with the same teams competing. As a neutral supporter I get tired of the same teams dominating the competition each year, it does become boring.

With the points system, trust me it is a rort and has done nothing to improve competitions or their competitive nature. It isn’t just BFNL clubs that ‘play the game’ by offering other incentives to players to come to their respective club to play. The whole system is broken and to be honest we would be better off without it.

Unfortunately any review needs to be done by someone clearly removed from the competition as whatever the outcome the Bendigo based clubs won’t be supportive as they seem to like the way things remain which is consistent dominance of their competition. The ‘head in the sand’ attitude/ mentality is alive and well.
What do you do though? Just go back to an open system where metro clubs had double the salary of country clubs, have coaches take 10+ players each time they change clubs, leaving the club they left in a world of hurt, have players shop themselves around to get the highest paycheck, at least that is stopped by the points system.

Maybe it needs a review to iron out a few things, there appears to be more players going from bottom clubs to top clubs in the same league, I'd think that should be worth more than getting an ex AFL player to your club, which generates more interest and more people coming to the footy, shouldnt AFL Vic be encouraging that. Maybe one ex AFL player per club is worth 0 points and outside the salary cap.

Metro and vafa should be on 32 points each, change it from under 19s to 18s, and play more locals.

Bendigo, Geelong, Ballarat & Albury/Wodonga finals teams should be 35 points. They have unis that keeps and attracts players.

Gv and Gippsland big town clubs 38 points
Further away from Melbourne and uni towns should be max 50.

You can't just have one league change, as if other major leagues don't it affects the bfl.

Also players from minor leagues under 24 should be 1 pointers going into a major league, major league players 31 years plus should be 1 point in a minor league.

Players that have played 7+ years at the same club, should be 1 point if they wish to go to another club in another league, to reward their commitment to one club.

If you go from one club to another in the same league it should be 4 points, plus 1 point for each spot on the ladder the club they're going to is above their current team.

Have a father son rule introduced to keep country clubs alive, if your dad aged 100 games of seniors, your son is a 1 pointer

Get rid of interleague, and have a champion club comp, with the 32 premiers of the previous year, having a knock out comp at the start of the next year with a 100k prize money and play the games as AFL curtain raisers where possible

Some great points in recent posts - if anyone is able to forward on please do ! Might assist many comps

Zac Denahy signed at gisborne, things not looking good at all for Castlemaine!

Couldn't be a better example of what has been discussed on the past few pages.

Would barely be in the best 22 for Gisborne, a completely unnecessary move. Assuming that means his brother has gone as well, who is under 18 and a better player. Again just killing a struggling under 18 side to make a strong one even better. It's a farce.

Would barely be in the best 22 for Gisborne, a completely unnecessary move. Assuming that means his brother has gone as well, who is under 18 and a better player. Again just killing a struggling under 18 side to make a strong one even better. It's a farce.
It comes down to the mental toughness of some of these young blokes nowadays, just simply not prepared to stay the long course with their local club.....because it's too hard and they get beaten by 15+ goals every week. Sometimes you have to take a chance in life.

It comes down to the mental toughness of some of these young blokes nowadays, just simply not prepared to stay the long course with their local club.....because it's too hard and they get beaten by 15+ goals every week. Sometimes you have to take a chance in life.

Also says something about the character of the people who skip out and then do their best to lure as many others with them as possible.

Also says something about the character of the people who skip out and then do their best to lure as many others with them as possible.
Would love to see him and Braidon Blake tough it out at Castlemaine! Have heard Shepard was castmeines last resort for coach, couldn’t land any of their targets. A few have left because of their relationship with him from maldon, Tommy horne and tom Cain. As bad as Castlemaine have been, unfortunately next year will be a new low.

Would love to see him and Braidon Blake tough it out at Castlemaine! Have heard Shepard was castmeines last resort for coach, couldn’t land any of their targets. A few have left because of their relationship with him from maldon, Tommy horne and tom Cain. As bad as Castlemaine have been, unfortunately next year will be a new low.

Tommy Horne was gone well before Shepherd was appointed

Do they go to uni in melbs and Braemar ?

Blake won't go back as I think his dad's term as President didn't end all that well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I hear there wouldn't be a lot of desire to have them there from either party.
This is exactly what's wrong with Castlemaine footy club, Michael Blake ex champ not welcome back with open arms, not sure another ex premiership star don Moran would be that keen either, how many of their ex superstars are involved in the club or even go down to the game anymore and I reckon the 90s Maine guys on talent would be right up there, add Oliver, filo X2, Cox, Jorgenson, Walters, Jardine etc

This is exactly what's wrong with Castlemaine footy club, Michael Blake ex champ not welcome back with open arms, not sure another ex premiership star don Moran would be that keen either, how many of their ex superstars are involved in the club or even go down to the game anymore and I reckon the 90s Maine guys on talent would be right up there, add Oliver, filo X2, Cox, Jorgenson, Walters, Jardine etc

I'd say what I said a few pages back about the ex-players, it's a two-way street and I think the ones that have stood by the club have no issues and are regularly involved. Unfortunately a core group of guys from that era are loyal to no-one except themselves.

I'd say what I said a few pages back about the ex-players, it's a two-way street and I think the ones that have stood by the club have no issues and are regularly involved. Unfortunately a core group of guys from that era are loyal to no-one except themselves.
During my second year there helping Robbo I would hear about a "group" of disgruntled so and so's (former club ppl) hiding near the scoreboard at home games deriding Robbo and praying for his downfall....pathetic.

Rick Andrews standing down at Maryborough, no new coach yet.

Alarm bells ringing everywhere for country clubs.
I just don't really know why anyone would want to coach local footy. There is way too much involved these days, texts, calls, welfare, recruiting, meetings, training prep, game day prep, dealing with disgruntled supporters etc. In the end most get sacked as a president (who usually hasn't played) or committee members flex their ego's and think they know it all. As Forest alluded to ex players can also make life difficult as well. Then when the axe falls its splashed all over the local paper to really make the situation even more embarrassing. In this instance the coach has stood down but in reality it's usually due to a lack of support. Not great timing and good luck with finding a decent mentor at the start of December.

I just don't really know why anyone would want to coach local footy. There is way too much involved these days, texts, calls, welfare, recruiting, meetings, training prep, game day prep, dealing with disgruntled supporters etc. In the end most get sacked as a president (who usually hasn't played) or committee members flex their ego's and think they know it all. As Forest alluded to ex players can also make life difficult as well. Then when the axe falls its splashed all over the local paper to really make the situation even more embarrassing. In this instance the coach has stood down but in reality it's usually due to a lack of support. Not great timing and good luck with finding a decent mentor at the start of December.
Exactly it would be like trying to climb Everest for Maryborough, with one guy in charge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back