Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't really know why anyone would want to coach local footy. There is way too much involved these days, texts, calls, welfare, recruiting, meetings, training prep, game day prep, dealing with disgruntled supporters etc. In the end most get sacked as a president (who usually hasn't played) or committee members flex their ego's and think they know it all. As Forest alluded to ex players can also make life difficult as well. Then when the axe falls its splashed all over the local paper to really make the situation even more embarrassing. In this instance the coach has stood down but in reality it's usually due to a lack of support. Not great timing and good luck with finding a decent mentor at the start of December.

Exactly right.

I remember when I first started playing and Castlemaine would be starting preseason training and you would turn up and hope like hell you were good enough. When I got a game in the seniors it was like being picked for AFL.

Nowadays everyone expects a personal phone call or an invitation and if they do t get it they crack it and move to a lesser team.

Rick Andrews standing down at Maryborough, no new coach yet.

Alarm bells ringing everywhere for country clubs.

I was in Maryborough yesterday
Actually went past the oval.
Was about 25 blokes out there training
Couple of decent size bigmen by the looks.

Maybe it was that team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly right.

I remember when I first started playing and Castlemaine would be starting preseason training and you would turn up and hope like hell you were good enough. When I got a game in the seniors it was like being picked for AFL.

Nowadays everyone expects a personal phone call or an invitation and if they do t get it they crack it and move to a lesser team.
I absolutely get what you're saying but that's just how it is. The situation Castlemaine are in; why wouldn't they be making 200 calls and ensure numbers? I get the frustration but what are the options? Hope young kids of today change and keep struggling or change the way the clubs attracts and keeps players?

What about the PDFL Roar? Was it only the 1 year they were out, why did they opt back in (Think they're now back under AFL Vic)?
Iirc The only affiliation agreement they were offered required them to hand over their administration and umpires . They weren’t prepared to do either so went it alone for 12 months and the following year a more favourable deal was made available which was accepted .

Will Moran to sandhurst. Castlemaine in absolutely shambles, seems like his old man and Castlemaine may not have ended on great terms. Losing a young local lad, who played every game this season to another team in the league is a massive blow.
The pain continues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any word on Kyneton? Announce some re signings that didn’t include Manuel or Driscoll

Very unlikely Castlemaine would head there.

Aligned with Castlemaine but also on Werribee vfl list.

Doing a power of work to recruit players I hear.
Not sure how that'll go, someone who has a foot in 2 doorways asking others to be chips in 🤔

Would you rather him sit back and do nothing.
And so as to appear to be too mean spirited, from what I read here about Bailey Henderson he seems to be a quality player and individual and has every right to pursue the highest standards he can achieve. Obviously the point I'm making is when I'm toiling away at the QEO,Tannery Lane,Wade St,Dower Park etc I want the person encouraging me to be at the 'Camp reserve to be right by my side week in week out and on Tues and Thurs night. I'll leave it there.

And so as to appear to be too mean spirited, from what I read here about Bailey Henderson he seems to be a quality player and individual and has every right to pursue the highest standards he can achieve. Obviously the point I'm making is when I'm toiling away at the QEO,Tannery Lane,Wade St,Dower Park etc I want the person encouraging me to be at the 'Camp reserve to be right by my side week in week out and on Tues and Thurs night. I'll leave it there.
"NOT" too mean spirited 😁

If I’m involved in a club and one of the clubs best players is trying to test himself at a higher standard and that opportunity presents the chance to meet and form a relationship with other talented players I would certainly be promoting that. Not every player doing a preseason with an VFL side gets a contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get what you are saying but even if he gets just the one player to the club then it’s a success for them. They need all the assistance they can get and I think that’s it’s a good thing that the young bloke is so engaged even though he is still trying to better himself

Remove this Banner Ad

Back