Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

What ideas do you have for the board that they can use to bring the lower clubs up to the level of the top sides.

I’ve posted about this many times but if you’d like a recap here’s what I would do if I started as CEO tomorrow:

1. Use the points system better.

That would involve removing discounts and holding players at their points value for three years before a one point discount. One more point discount after 5 years. Tighten the points for the top teams and remove points from cap of finals teams each year on a sliding scale, add points to teams outside 5 on a sliding scale.

2. Take money out of the game

The salary cap doesn’t work so we will remove money from the competition instead. No admission charges, no sponsor logos of any kind on uniforms or around ground and no alcohol sales until completion of senior match.

3. Protect struggling clubs from player raids

Senior player who has moved clubs in same league at any stage is maximum points and ineligible for discount. Juniors won’t be cleared out of residential postcode without a compelling reason. Introduce junior points system based on postcodes.

4. Address population inequities

Scrap reserves football and under 18 football and play under 16 games as thirds. Under 16 comp expands to be able to include 16-18 ages under permit for players who need further development.
Second grade to be under 23s with a set number of over age players permitted by each team.

I’ve posted about all of these things several times. Some people disagree with some of it, some people disagree with all of it but this insinuation that it’s all criticism and nothing constructive is crap.

Like those ideas or not, they are four more than the so called leadership has given over the past decade.

The onus is on clubs to make decisions to make themselves stronger isn’t it?

What levers can league administrators or regions pull?

They could start by -

Using the points system the way it was intended (to equalise)

Listen to the clubs and ask them what they really need?

Stop the same clubs getting taking from alcohol sales because they win a tender ! It’s easy to win a tender when you know the oppositions price

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I disagree on Gisborne.

Mergers need to occur in both Maryborough and Castlemaine

Gisborne are gone, I can absolutely lock that one away. 3 years tops.

I can’t see mergers either, Newstead and Maldon would be the only hope. The others are too stubborn or hate each other too much.

I think the merger bud has missed Maryborough now too, with Bushy and Rovers getting in first.

It's a state problem, the majority of ex afl players now play vafa, or metro leagues. I've watched a bit of edfl thirds, some of those kids should be playing senior footy, but are kept down by big imports. Same as geelong, st marys under 19s on a dry fast track would push a lot of bfl teams. They had chris Jansen, who was one of rochys stars in the gv, finish the year in the twos.

If the points are lower in the vafa and metro, we get more players playing throughout the state, the majority of the best players outside state footy now play vafa, premier edfl, Northern, Eastern leagues metro, Geelong and the oa
ndm.

All other major leagues are nowhere near as strong as 15 years ago

Roots and Albury will be happy - Back to normal everyone can relax / Sandhurst back in the advertiser today

I’ve posted about this many times but if you’d like a recap here’s what I would do if I started as CEO tomorrow:

1. Use the points system better.

That would involve removing discounts and holding players at their points value for three years before a one point discount. One more point discount after 5 years. Tighten the points for the top teams and remove points from cap of finals teams each year on a sliding scale, add points to teams outside 5 on a sliding scale.

2. Take money out of the game

The salary cap doesn’t work so we will remove money from the competition instead. No admission charges, no sponsor logos of any kind on uniforms or around ground and no alcohol sales until completion of senior match.

3. Protect struggling clubs from player raids

Senior player who has moved clubs in same league at any stage is maximum points and ineligible for discount. Juniors won’t be cleared out of residential postcode without a compelling reason. Introduce junior points system based on postcodes.

4. Address population inequities

Scrap reserves football and under 18 football and play under 16 games as thirds. Under 16 comp expands to be able to include 16-18 ages under permit for players who need further development.
Second grade to be under 23s with a set number of over age players permitted by each team.

I’ve posted about all of these things several times. Some people disagree with some of it, some people disagree with all of it but this insinuation that it’s all criticism and nothing constructive is crap.

Like those ideas or not, they are four more than the so called leadership has given over the past decade.

So what happens to players who are over 23 and still want to have a game, but don’t have the ability or dedication to play at senior level??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I think if we jump forward a few generations, soccer becomes the main winter community sport.
I reckon Soccer keeps shooting itself in the foot. Ridiculous fees to play it at junior level and as for "A" League it will be lucky to be around for much longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez last posts have been deleted - must have touched a nerve with the country towns who have nothing but a pub and a bowling club attracting ex AFL guns and premier footballers for a pie and a can of coke !

Jeez last posts have been deleted - must have touched a nerve with the country towns who have nothing but a pub and a bowling club attracting ex AFL guns and premier footballers for a pie and a can of coke !

Appears yours nerves are easily touched. Check the 2024 thread genius.

Wow. A 'secret racket' ... let's wait and see. This could unravel. I wonder what Albury E would make of this?

Ps. I have no skin in the game.
At the time it was obvious it was such complete and utter crap that I just couldn't be bothered commenting on. The 'secret racket' (which is meant to exist between Strath and the Pioneers) has netted a whole two players for Strath this season!!!!

At the time it was obvious it was such complete and utter crap that I just couldn't be bothered commenting on. The 'secret racket' (which is meant to exist between Strath and the Pioneers) has netted a whole two players for Strath this season!!!!
Is it possible that Strath’s attempts to coerce kids to play for them “if they want a better chance to play Pioneers” didn’t succeed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back