Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you give Stephen Oliver the same advice. Greene 16 AFL games Oliver 13. Surely your guidance would have been given.

100%, used to tell Olly all the time if I had his ability I’d have played 300 games and be talked about with Wayne Carey! Same with Derrick. To this day Olly says no regrets but I can’t get my head around that either.

I’ve never understood anyone not squeezing every drop of ability out of themselves in order to make it at that level.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Kavanagh another forest, Greene could have, but he's climbed the mountain twice to get on an afl list, the sacrifices he would have made to do that, for maybe 1 more crack, I think it's fair enough and it's bloody good for the league, we need players of he's calibre in the comp, he'd be close to the best recruit in country footy at the moment imo

Kavanagh another forest, Greene could have, but he's climbed the mountain twice to get on an afl list, the sacrifices he would have made to do that, for maybe 1 more crack, I think it's fair enough and it's bloody good for the league, we need players of he's calibre in the comp, he'd be close to the best recruit in country footy at the moment imo

Reckon Tommy gave it a good crack. Went to two clubs and ended up cut from both but you are probably right in the sense that footy wasn’t the be all and end all for him. Lot of people don’t realise he is Brent Crosswell’s son. Was a shame he didn’t play 100 games with a club to give Tommy a run as a father son, think he was only a few short at Carlton and North.

He’s been at it for years now. Maybe he feels he has given all he can??

Must do, it’s a shame because listening to trade radio every day while at work, I heard his manager and journos all talk about club interest in him and how they were very surprised he was delisted.

100%, used to tell Olly all the time if I had his ability I’d have played 300 games and be talked about with Wayne Carey! Same with Derrick. To this day Olly says no regrets but I can’t get my head around that either.

I’ve never understood anyone not squeezing every drop of ability out of themselves in order to make it at that level.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Tony Southcombe was another player who returned (from Carlton) to Golden Square turning his back on what would clearly have been a successful AFL career.

Took a fair grab

If that was in the ones it would have been in the mix with the great marks of all time I reckon.

He used to take two of those a week for Castlemaine. Never seen a bloke that could vertical jump so high. We used to say he would be the only bloke able to exit a phone booth out the top. Other thing he used to be able to do was go back with the flight, jump and turn his body so he was facing the ball and mark in front of his opponent. Just an incredible athlete with amazing body control.

There’s a lot of champions in the 92 side but that half back line of Kavanagh Moran Starbuck would be as good as half back line as any country team has ever had. Three amazing players who were incredible as a unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a lot of champions in the 92 side but that half back line of Kavanagh Moran Starbuck would be as good as half back line as any country team has ever had. Three amazing players who were incredible as a unit.
I think Kavanagh played half-forward in 92 - at least in the finals. That team were scary good and scary..... played that finals series like they were possessed.

What was Kavanagh's first name? Football administrator bloke?
Tom?

Forest was recently talking about players turning their back on the AFL (Greene, Oliver, Filo etc). To add another dimension to this discussion I have listed three players who didn't even try to play AFL, but would have been very capable at that level - Peter Moroni, Ron Best & Brodie Filo.

Sandhurst, Golden Square & Castlemaine's recruiting shows good players are coming into the BFNL so it is not all gloom and doom. Castlemaine have two VFL listed players and Kangaroo Flat another who has been VFL listed and we are only in November. Jonty Neaves (Eaglehawk) is also a class recruit. I understand clearances don't actually open until February. Unlike others I also don't see the Dragons as overwhelming favorites for the flag. Sure they have recruited well, but they have lost Hamish Hosking who is just about irreplaceable and Matt Thorton, Andy Collins & Lee Coughlan who were great players over many years. It also looks like Cooper Smith will take some time to get back on the park. For all the faults with the BFNL at the bottom end of the ladder which I am not denying or pretending everything is rosey, last years final series was a good competitive one and if Gisborne & Castlemaine can make the finals next year the competition will be much healthier.

Tom?

Forest was recently talking about players turning their back on the AFL (Greene, Oliver, Filo etc). To add another dimension to this discussion I have listed three players who didn't even try to play AFL, but would have been very capable at that level - Peter Moroni, Ron Best & Brodie Filo.

Sandhurst, Golden Square & Castlemaine's recruiting shows good players are coming into the BFNL so it is not all gloom and doom. Castlemaine have two VFL listed players and Kangaroo Flat another who has been VFL listed and we are only in November. Jonty Neaves (Eaglehawk) is also a class recruit. I understand clearances don't actually open until February. Unlike others I also don't see the Dragons as overwhelming favorites for the flag. Sure they have recruited well, but they have lost Hamish Hosking who is just about irreplaceable and Matt Thorton, Andy Collins & Lee Coughlan who were great players over many years. It also looks like Cooper Smith will take some time to get back on the park. For all the faults with the BFNL at the bottom end of the ladder which I am not denying or pretending everything is rosey, last years final series was a good competitive one and if Gisborne & Castlemaine can make the finals next year the competition will be much healthier.
Can we please circle back on who Golden Square recruits are?

Can we please circle back on who Golden Square recruits are?
Holt from Wedderburn, Rosengren returns, as does Kyle Stevens, and Kai Daniels announces as well. I think that’s it at the moment. A long way to go to replace the number that have left.
Albury I think you have an old coaches hat on, trying to downplay how far ahead of the pack Sandhurst will be. It’s yours/theirs to lose based on what we currently know.

I think Kavanagh played half-forward in 92 - at least in the finals. That team were scary good and scary..... played that finals series like they were possessed.

No definitely half back, that was a hard forward line to break into. I have a feeling the scoring average is still the highest ever in a season, it was something crazy like 180 odd points a game.

Oliver, Henderson, Sean Smith, Mick Pedretti, Brett Fitzpatrick and a heap of attacking midfielders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back