Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Lawrie Woodman

@LawrieWoodman
·
42m

"From #1 pick Harley Reid, who played his junior football at Tongala (Central Victoria), to 21yo Oliver Wiltshire, selected by Geelong at pick 61 straight from community football at Barwon Heads, every player drafted has been heavily influenced, guided & supported by volunteers."

Laurie Woodman is a coaching guru!

Well should he have had a year vfl level against men, I think as a footballer your game improves playing against men

Some great players from past decades made it because they were 15, 16 or 17 year olds showing they could cut it against grown men at a decent standard of football in the country or in metro footy. Some would end up playing VFL Under 19s to hone their craft a bit more and the better ones got onto a senior list.

There are a fair few stories over the years about young fellas copping some harsh attention from more battle-hardened blokes but recruiters would be watching to see if they could handle themselves under this pressure and play well and if they did they could have the chance to go on to better things.

Reid has shown at various levels this year - VFL, MFL seniors, nationals and other levels - that he is worthy of the talk surrounding him by performing against peers and men.

The one issue I have with the process is many players are rated against same aged peers at schoolboy or Under 18 level and it's not really the best guide. Guys like Cooney and to a lesser extent Horne-Francis who have played decent footy at SANFL senior level for a season before being drafted provide a more reliable guide to whether an 18 year old draftee can handle it against players in their mid-20s and older or whether they will be found wanting. That's probably why there are people who publicly call for the draft age to be lifted to 19 or 20.

The pios first rounders have generally turned out to great players, brown, tarrant, selwood, dusty. livo might be the only one not to get 150 games, and the main part was injury and Denis pagen

I've always thought that your better equipped as a player, playing against men, but our game is moving away from the physical intimidation, daicos, ashcroft and sheezal have shown that, zone footy is a far easier step, especially starting behind the play, than 20 years ago

AFL CENTRAL VIC officially reject Maiden Gullys application to join Bendigo league. Maiden Gully to have under 18s in the LVFL

Clubs will be pleased but from the governing body that is a bizarre decision.

Surely st some point the clubs have to demand some sort of public declaration on the future of local footy from these imbeciles?

Clubs will be pleased but from the governing body that is a bizarre decision.

Surely st some point the clubs have to demand some sort of public declaration on the future of local footy from these imbeciles?

What an absolute circus !

Ok - what do the defenders of this shambles of a commission and BFNL board say now ??

Can you admit that the lunatics are running the asylum and change has to be made asap

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Went to an annual premiership reunion lunch today and lots of the guys there are now involved in clubs and leagues around the district.

By the sound of it the Heathcote and Loddon Valley leagues are not far from outright going to war with AFL Central Vic.

I get the feeling something is going to give soon, either leagues will go independent or there will be a major shake up of personnel.

And on cue the BFL board comes out and pots the commission, which to be fair is like a fight between two idiots to determine which one is dumber.
Makes the decision by Kyneton to jump ship look like an even smarter move. It’s a debacle of a situation - Gisborne will be ruing not leaving for 2024 and you’d think would be odds on to be gone in 2025, and if led by strong committees both Castlemaine and Maryborough will follow. McKinstry and co will need more than Maiden Gully on board if they want to maintain a 10 team league - this once great comp is on its knees in my opinion.

Makes the decision by Kyneton to jump ship look like an even smarter move. It’s a debacle of a situation - Gisborne will be ruing not leaving for 2024 and you’d think would be odds on to be gone in 2025, and if led by strong committees both Castlemaine and Maryborough will follow. McKinstry and co will need more than Maiden Gully on board if they want to maintain a 10 team league - this once great comp is on its knees in my opinion.

How is McKinistry trying to blame Kyneton leaving on the commission’s two division proposal?

That’s just an absolute lie and shows they are either completely out of touch or completely deluded.

Either way it is very instructive as to why things are as they are.

How is McKinistry trying to blame Kyneton leaving on the commission’s two division proposal?

That’s just an absolute lie and shows they are either completely out of touch or completely deluded.

Either way it is very instructive as to why things are as they are.

It was pretty clear from Kyneton’s media release the main reasons were the lack of equalization and lack of future plan in place from the BFNL ?

They wanted a strong sandhurst / strath and square and now they have it. If BFNL stays under the same current administration for much longer then Heathcote will pass them as a better comp in the next 3 to 5 years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was pretty clear from Kyneton’s media release the main reasons were the lack of equalization and lack of future plan in place from the BFNL ?

And the higher fees, hub taking fundraising opportunities at finals etc, and just the general pain in the ass of dealing with the staff there.

The decision was made before the two tier thing was even discussed and McKinistry knows that. It’s just a straight out lie to save face. That’s the people guiding our game.

Formal declaration of no confidence in commission apparently underway.

Clubs being asked to sign on to calling for them to resign.

Formal declaration of no confidence in commission apparently underway.

Clubs being asked to sign on to calling for them to resign.
We have been discussing this for so long about the issues in the league and the very Bendigo centric approach. Perhaps both boards need to go. In fact why do we have 2 boards anyway. Over governance at its best. The BFNL board is a sham anyway with the Chair having her “mates” on board and other positions being temporary.

Cannot believe the comments about Kyneton being the problem. The issue has been the lack of support and focus on the non Bendigo based clubs and just concerning themselves with the stronger clubs. The competition has been stuffed for years and no action has been taken despite many concerns being raised. The inaction by many has been a disgrace and their total lack of understanding of the issues facing football in the region is a problem too. Some of the rubbish and brain fades that have been put out there for consideration have been nothing short of bizarre.

Where’s the accountability of all involved. They all need to go.

We have been discussing this for so long about the issues in the league and the very Bendigo centric approach. Perhaps both boards need to go. In fact why do we have 2 boards anyway. Over governance at its best. The BFNL board is a sham anyway with the Chair having her “mates” on board and other positions being temporary.

Cannot believe the comments about Kyneton being the problem. The issue has been the lack of support and focus on the non Bendigo based clubs and just concerning themselves with the stronger clubs. The competition has been stuffed for years and no action has been taken despite many concerns being raised. The inaction by many has been a disgrace and their total lack of understanding of the issues facing football in the region is a problem too. Some of the rubbish and brain fades that have been put out there for consideration have been nothing short of bizarre.

Where’s the accountability of all involved. They all need to go.
I agree. We have been talking about this issue for far too long and no one has come up with a way to make these clubs stronger.

I agree. We have been talking about this issue for far too long and no one has come up with a way to make these clubs stronger.

Problem is until an issue impacts Sandhurst, Square or Strath nothing happens.

It’s the Golden Square reserves syndrome all over again.

It’s probably going to take the league getting to a state where it is so boring and loses so many sides that they start to lose players and take a financial hit from crowds and games reducing, before anything happens.

Problem is until an issue impacts Sandhurst, Square or Strath nothing happens.

It’s the Golden Square reserves syndrome all over again.

It’s probably going to take the league getting to a state where it is so boring and loses so many sides that they start to lose players and take a financial hit from crowds and games reducing, before anything happens.
What ideas do you have for the board that they can use to bring the lower clubs up to the level of the top sides.

More than likely, Castlemaine, Maryborough and Gisborne will have departed before the board either realises or acknowledges that the problems are real.

Kyneton's departure should have served as a wake-up call but it obviously hasn't.

Where do they all go though?

Gissy always get talked about but continually reaffirm their desire to remain

Gisborne reaffirmation was made not long before Kyneton's announcement if I recall correctly.

Without Kyneton and the money-making southern derby, Gisborne are a chance of going to the Ballarat league where Melton, Sunbury, Darley and Bacchus Marsh are all close by and would be good revenue-earning home matches.

I think Maryborough are likely to end up in the MCDFL at some stage and Castlemaine's future depends on what goes on over the next few years with this new-look setup.

Gisborne reaffirmation was made not long before Kyneton's announcement if I recall correctly.

Without Kyneton and the money-making southern derby, Gisborne are a chance of going to the Ballarat league where Melton, Sunbury, Darley and Bacchus Marsh are all close by and would be good revenue-earning home matches.

I think Maryborough are likely to end up in the MCDFL at some stage and Castlemaine's future depends on what goes on over the next few years with this new-look setup.

I disagree on Gisborne.

Mergers need to occur in both Maryborough and Castlemaine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back