Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I see Maryborough still signing young kids flat stick but barely anyone with experience. Another looooong year. How long until these kids get sick of it and ship off? Surely it’s not that hard to bring in some experience ! Throw some coin Maryborough ffs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So what happens to players who are over 23 and still want to have a game, but don’t have the ability or dedication to play at senior level??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They play as age exemptions.

I reckon Soccer keeps shooting itself in the foot. Ridiculous fees to play it at junior level and as for "A" League it will be lucky to be around for much longer.

Not sure about that, soccer is flush with juniors.

Holt from Wedderburn, Rosengren returns, as does Kyle Stevens, and Kai Daniels announces as well. I think that’s it at the moment. A long way to go to replace the number that have left.
Albury I think you have an old coaches hat on, trying to downplay how far ahead of the pack Sandhurst will be. It’s yours/theirs to lose based on what we currently know.
No. Hosking a massive loss. Now Conforti is another massive loss. Thornton, Collins & Lee Coghlan also serious losses and don't know how much footy they will get out of Day-Wicks as, apart from the Pioneers, he seems to get picked for a lot of other underage rep footy. That is a massive loss of talent from last year's team grand final team. There is also a rumor of another top liner going.

I am sure other finals teams will announce recruits when clearances open in February. Watch Golden Square for a start. Then teams can be properly assessed and the favourite(s) can be decided.

Good to have a discussion about teams and players Trent and not the usual never ending negative stuff.

We still need to see who the other teams recruit in February mate to make a final judgement.

I am curious, you talk about '...good players coming from mounts'. I am aware of Wallace. Who else is coming?

Good to have a discussion about teams and players Trent and not the usual never ending negative stuff.

We still need to see who the other teams recruit in February mate to make a final judgement.

I am curious, you talk about '...good players coming from mounts'. I am aware of Wallace. Who else is coming?

Wallace wa the other heading to Sturt I was told

Will Maryborough make it to the starting line? I just read a post on Twitter that 2024 might be a bridge too far

Who knows. They keep signing on kids but no one really with any experience.
I hope they tough it out and they manage to get some players who are able to bring the club up but I’m doubting it. Would love to see them up and about. But at this rate I can only see them losing the younger blokes to other teams or them just giving in all together.

Hearing strath is getting desperate - calling 16 yr olds guaranteeing senior games - what a disgrace from a So called powerhouse ! Jesus they have gone from great to poo real quick - losing Wilson and sharp etc is not looking like a great thing

I'd doubt it, strath have plenty of juniors in the system already.

In my opinion it's the best coaching position in country footy, I'm not sure why they didn't look at a full time coach to be honest.

Maryborough needs some afl help, through a promotions officer helping footy in the twon, and playing home games there. You can't let a town of 10k plus lost to senior football, not sure andrew Dillon or he's mates care though, as long as there's kids drafted, they don't care if Maryborough only has 1 team in the town in the minor league, just means more people will watch afl. Sad state of affairs is footy outside of afl and school football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd doubt it, strath have plenty of juniors in the system already.

In my opinion it's the best coaching position in country footy, I'm not sure why they didn't look at a full time coach to be honest.

Maryborough needs some afl help, through a promotions officer helping footy in the twon, and playing home games there. You can't let a town of 10k plus lost to senior football, not sure andrew Dillon or he's mates care though, as long as there's kids drafted, they don't care if Maryborough only has 1 team in the town in the minor league, just means more people will watch afl. Sad state of affairs is footy outside of afl and school football
Doesn't Maryborough need to help itself in some ways? Lot of towns of that size (or smaller) play in a major league and have surrounding district league clubs yet still find a way to compete at a reasonably high level? Kyabram jumps out as an obvious example.

Last edited:
Haven't they tried? Good coaches in Lavers, Andrews etc at the helm, gone are the days of people relocating to Maryborough to live straight out of the afl, from what I scan see they are trying to get their junior pathways sorted, with some results, however they need 7-8 recruits to stay 4 years to develop these kids, to get those guys, they'd need to pay double minimum what they are getting paid now, that's never going to happen

Doesn't Maryborough need to help itself in some ways? Lot of towns of that size (or smaller) play in a major league and have surrounding district league clubs yet still find a way to compete at a reasonably high level? Kyabram jumps out as an obvious example.
Kyabram is also a lot closer inbetween two major towns than Maryborough is - half an hour to Echuca and Shepparton vs 55 minutes to Bendigo and Ballarat. To me, I reckon that kind of accessibility to those kinds of towns plays a part in Kyabram's success vs Maryborough's, as does the ageing population the town has. Maybe it sounds silly, I don't know. But living in the town, that's the way I'm seeing it.

Kyabram is also a lot closer inbetween two major towns than Maryborough is - half an hour to Echuca and Shepparton vs 55 minutes to Bendigo and Ballarat. To me, I reckon that kind of accessibility to those kinds of towns plays a part in Kyabram's success vs Maryborough's, as does the ageing population the town has. Maybe it sounds silly, I don't know. But living in the town, that's the way I'm seeing it.
I think your in denial sorry to say. Clubs who don't even have a Pub can make it work more than a town like Maryborough can with great facilities. Normally starts with the admin. The challenges are there with the local comp but it shouldn't knee cap you the way Maryborough has been.

I think your in denial sorry to say. Clubs who don't even have a Pub can make it work more than a town like Maryborough can with great facilities. Normally starts with the admin. The challenges are there with the local comp but it shouldn't knee cap you the way Maryborough has been.
You can't compare Maryborough to Kyabrum, Rochy or Koroit as examples - these are all destination clubs that may have minor leagues around them but they are the go-to clubs for players, including local farmers as examples, who are the main stay of these clubs.

Maryborough is not a destination club and the best local farmers go to Natte, Carisbrook and now Ballarat Clubs. In many cases it is not Maryboroughs fault the other clubs are just more well run.

You can't compare Maryborough to Kyabrum, Rochy or Koroit as examples - these are all destination clubs that may have minor leagues around them but they are the go-to clubs for players, including local farmers as examples, who are the main stay of these clubs.

Maryborough is not a destination club and the best local farmers go to Natte, Carisbrook and now Ballarat Clubs. In many cases it is not Maryboroughs fault the other clubs are just more well run.
What makes them a destination Club? A stamp? Or the way they are run and the culture they implement?

Maryborough was always going to find the going extra tough with a shiny new merged team in town.

Supporters on here have been bullish about their kids and long term prospects though so hopefully they get through.

Who are you referring to there ?

All of them - the pies aren’t that good in Koroit / Kyabram / rochy - give me a break if you think players are driving there for the love of it ! They would be in the same if not worse trouble as Maryborough if they weren’t spending at least double the cap !

All of them - the pies aren’t that good in Koroit / Kyabram / rochy - give me a break if you think players are driving there for the love of it ! They would be in the same if not worse trouble as Maryborough if they weren’t spending at least double the cap !

Get real mate

Winning culture means everything in today's footy. Who's going to sign on to Maryborough knowing they won't play finals for 2 years?

They can't offer jobs? Why go there, it's not like the 90s, where they got bond, Tranter, sumner all guns straight out of the afl, with great local talent. Adcock, Chaplin haven't come back, or even a Jeremy humm. Even richards changed to Eaglehawk and I'm sure there's others

Rochy, kyabram, Koroit have strong histories where locals travel and come back and play for bugger all. I reckon Maryborough have lost hat, Cramer travels to Ballarat to play, you'd never see ash watson do that at rochy, Paul Newman do that at y, or Joe mcclaren do that at Koroit, when your best locals stay, and play for less it builds culture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back