Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

So if the new GM was actually that instead of a checkout operator at Woolies or whatever he is qualified for, I’d be looking for these things.

1. Make a public call on AFL Vic to change the points system to promote equalisation by 2025 or the region will break away. Scrap the salary cap.

2. Demand a full review of the pathway system and submit that the TAC Cup be disbanded.

3. Call a meeting of every club in the region and tell them change will be made next season, with a three tiered regional league to be introduced. Put the option of cutting netball loose on the table.

That would be a great start.
1. We got people whinging about teams paying to much now and your solution is to make it legal?

2. Do you seriously think disbanding TAC would get any traction?

3. You had me on board until you want netball cut.

1. We got people whinging about teams paying to much now and your solution is to make it legal?

2. Do you seriously think disbanding TAC would get any traction?

3. You had me on board until you want netball cut.

The salary cap is unenforceable and a complete waste of time. If the points system is used properly then salary cap becomes mute anyway.

I think disbanding the TAC would keep young talent at clubs more and stop the stacking of Bendigo teams. It would also provide incentive for the best young players to play major league.

It’s not that I necessarily want to drop netball, I just think it is inevitable. It’s the sticking point to being able to mix footy clubs into tiers. And let’s face it, if we are honest footy doesn’t really want netball around and netball doesn’t really love being tied to footy. Return to the old days of association netball at a central base, and still be connected to footy clubs as training bases and socially. Win, win.

The salary cap is unenforceable and a complete waste of time. If the points system is used properly then salary cap becomes mute anyway.

I think disbanding the TAC would keep young talent at clubs more and stop the stacking of Bendigo teams. It would also provide incentive for the best young players to play major league.

It’s not that I necessarily want to drop netball, I just think it is inevitable. It’s the sticking point to being able to mix footy clubs into tiers. And let’s face it, if we are honest footy doesn’t really want netball around and netball doesn’t really love being tied to footy. Return to the old days of association netball at a central base, and still be connected to footy clubs as training bases and socially. Win, win.

I cannot fathom your thinking on the netball I really cannot. I actually can’t put it into words

I agree with you on the salary cap. Just another headache for a volunteer. Could be wrong but I think the only clubs to be “caught” have self reported.

Division footy in our region and splitting from netball. Can’t see it working.

Sea Lake and Birchip have been at the top end of the NCFL for a few years now, I can’t see either of their communities getting to excited about the repeated trips to Bendigo for a game of footy. Watch the supporters & families disappear. What happens to jnr footy?

With the death of interleague footy I’d rather see a Central Vic Champions.
Div 1 Kerang vs Square
Div 2 Sea Lake vs Mount Pleasant
Div 3 Marong vs Hay
The week after the AFL gf.
Senior games only, You could almost squeeze them all into the one day at the QEO.
Move up and down from there.

Also I think AFLCV need look
At how they can make mergers attractive to clubs. And put it to clubs that are having trouble fielding full jnr teams.
Eg reduced league fees, guarantee the supply full umpire contingent for the first year, eg no club umpires.

I agree with you on the salary cap. Just another headache for a volunteer. Could be wrong but I think the only clubs to be “caught” have self reported.

Division footy in our region and splitting from netball. Can’t see it working.

Sea Lake and Birchip have been at the top end of the NCFL for a few years now, I can’t see either of their communities getting to excited about the repeated trips to Bendigo for a game of footy. Watch the supporters & families disappear. What happens to jnr footy?

With the death of interleague footy I’d rather see a Central Vic Champions.
Div 1 Kerang vs Square
Div 2 Sea Lake vs Mount Pleasant
Div 3 Marong vs Hay
The week after the AFL gf.
Senior games only, You could almost squeeze them all into the one day at the QEO.
Move up and down from there.

Also I think AFLCV need look
At how they can make mergers attractive to clubs. And put it to clubs that are having trouble fielding full jnr teams.
Eg reduced league fees, guarantee the supply full umpire contingent for the first year, eg no club umpires.

There’s imperfections in every solution naturally but it has to be bigger picture stuff.

The North Central clubs are going strong now but they know the writing is on the wall. Before long they will have less and less clubs to play against. And the juniors are non existent.

Issues of distance can be solved, there’s plenty of venues in between where games can be played on those occasions and I think the excitement would spark those communities.

Imagine the Tiges bringing JJ down to take on Sandhurst on the QEO this weekend, in a top three clash in Division One. It would be massive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s imperfections in every solution naturally but it has to be bigger picture stuff.

The North Central clubs are going strong now but they know the writing is on the wall. Before long they will have less and less clubs to play against. And the juniors are non existent.

Issues of distance can be solved, there’s plenty of venues in between where games can be played on those occasions and I think the excitement would spark those communities.

Imagine the Tiges bringing JJ down to take on Sandhurst on the QEO this weekend, in a top three clash in Division One. It would be massive.

So clubs who don’t exist anymore will keep venues maintained for other clubs to play at?

I’ll spell it out for you Silver.
Old mate Roota claims he knows more than CM. I’m asking how he can be so sure of that.
That may have gone over your head.
The overall point was that it was two posters claiming to know more than the other, whilst saying not much of anything.

That may have gone over your head.
The overall point was that it was two posters claiming to know more than the other, whilst saying not much of anything.
Nah, didn’t go over my head. Just questioning one persons thoughts that they know more than someone else. Thanks for chipping in though.

So if the new GM was actually that instead of a checkout operator at Woolies or whatever he is qualified for, I’d be looking for these things.

1. Make a public call on AFL Vic to change the points system to promote equalisation by 2025 or the region will break away. Scrap the salary cap.

2. Demand a full review of the pathway system and submit that the TAC Cup be disbanded.

3. Call a meeting of every club in the region and tell them change will be made next season, with a three tiered regional league to be introduced. Put the option of cutting netball loose on the table.

That would be a great start.
For a bloke who I thought had some idea of creating remedies to fix the woes of local footy the idea to get rid of the netball is one of the most hairbrained ideas yet. Dont know what goes on at Castlemaine or the BFL in general but in the district leagues of late netball is seen as a 50/50 partnership with footy, god forbid there is even a couple of women presidents of footy clubs. While the introduction of a tiered footy system is attractive it isnt going to work if netball doesnt go along for the ride.

For a bloke who I thought had some idea of creating remedies to fix the woes of local footy the idea to get rid of the netball is one of the most hairbrained ideas yet. Dont know what goes on at Castlemaine or the BFL in general but in the district leagues of late netball is seen as a 50/50 partnership with footy, god forbid there is even a couple of women presidents of footy clubs. While the introduction of a tiered footy system is attractive it isnt going to work if netball doesnt go along for the ride.
You got any ideas to throw on the table? Forest has come up with several ideas worthy of discussion. Roota says just get heaps of clubs to merge and that’ll fix it. What are your ideas?

1. Tighten points system so bfl clubs with loads of juniors are below 30
2. Scrap the cap - paying recruits helps district league clubs get 2 teams on park
3. Slight restructure of district leagues hdfl ncfl and lvfl If clubs are on board
4. No restructure should occur solely for benefit of BFL

You got any ideas to throw on the table? Forest has come up with several ideas worthy of discussion. Roota says just get heaps of clubs to merge and that’ll fix it. What are your ideas?
Well firstly scrap AFL intervention in country footy. Go back to the leagues running themselves in their own interest. Scrap salary cap, raise it, spend it how you want. As far as BFL juniors go perhaps instead of all the better juniors heading to a couple of clubs draw some lines on the map of similar population, play your junior footy until under 18s there then go where you want. League execs of all leagues to gat together abd decide where they want to head to best suit their interests not told by AFL.

With netball entrenched within the fabric of football clubs now I dont believe any restructure will involve divisions as there is always the idea of relegation/demotion with divisions.Dont think Navarre is going to survive as a stand alone club for much longer either, been fractured by the indecision of proposed amalgamation with Swifts. Unfortunately amalgamations will become a neccessity, best to be proactive and get what you can sooner rather than later.
If Swifts/Navarre merger were to happen it was agreed the team would stay in MCDFNL.

Swifts reason for merge was that they were unable to recruit players from Ballarat/Melbourne/Geelong to travel out far West Wimmera for footy. Clearly just haven't had a look at the North Central Footy plan that seems to attract players left right and centre ($$$ I know).
Thanks Master but whilst things are on hold, the potential merger is still on the cards. Rest assured I can see it happening for many reasons including junior numbers but more importantly assuring senior football can still be played as the number if locals playing continue to dwindle. I wasn’t suggesting the merge was happening immediately as I am aware of the moratorium but I can see it happening along with members from both clubs.
I tend to agree yes there is a "lets continue for 2/3 years see how we go" agreement I think each year there maybe a phone call of "Hey whats up, how are we feeling?".

Whether in the minor or major leagues mergers and league swaps are going to become more and more common. The fact us Billy Smith's can see it on an internet forum and those in power hub, AFLVIC, AFL can't see or don't want to see it says enough.

Not quite correct as NCFL didn't even get invited.

And the key difference is it was a discussion, I’d be simply telling clubs this is the way forward.

Unfortunately it’s an inevitability. Footy needs a restructured model to get like clubs playing each other but it will never fit netball as well. Going to a tiered footy comp and maintaining netball would destroy it.

And I have to say as someone who has had a long involvement with netball at Bendigo and district levels, it’s fallacy to suggest it is a partnership without significant challenges.

Most footy clubs treat netball as an add on, don’t like to spend on it given the pressure to fund footy and see the best feature of having netball as a way to keep young men playing footy by having better functions. For there part most netball people resent being used as a cash builder for footy clubs, having to pay to get in and watch for no other reason than to pay the footballers. If you put up an option to return to an association model to the netball I suspect you’d get a very strong response in favour.

And by the way you can be a women and be connected to footy like many of the presidents are. Karen O’Sullivan at Kyneton was as much of a footy president as any have ever been.

And by the way I’m not talking about removing netball from clubs, just that they’d often play Saturdays at a different venue than footy.

Cricket has been doing that for a very long time, it’s very possible just needs a shift in thinking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back