Bendigo FNL 2017

Who will win this year's BFNL senior flag

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

K o
Overhaul, paah ... !!! Put St Patrick's College, Ballarat, in Bendigo with all its boarding facilities, multiple sporting scholarships - yes they grab 16 year olds from across Victoria and NSW - obvious case in point would be Jacob Hopper circa 2015, Rioli etc (and the majority of draftees out of St Pats over the past 10 years) - and ready access to the coaching and conditioning assets available within the environment of a proven successful VFL team such as North Ballarat and there is your overhaul. Ballarat and Clarendon College do the same in relation to scholarships to what is proven to be one of the top ten schools in the state (Academia wise, which makes it an easy sell) That is why the Rebels work!!

Pioneers don't have the luxury of these schools supporting their program, and I am positive the coach of the Pioneers is mot responsible for the current points system ... that said, given your comments about Pioneers not playing for their home side during Bye rounds, ex pioneers playing in Bendigo locally wouldn't be 4 pointers if they return to their home club.

It's worth remembering that the TAC is a pathways model, designed by the AFL to facilitate the growth of the AFL. Not unlike any other educational pathway. Four draftees is a tick in my book. I imagine it would be in the AFL's book as well.

I am also not having a crack at draftees.

My gripe is a disconnect from local clubs.
It use to be up to the player

Nothing wrong with the coaching

But would hope that the TAC cup physophy is not get as many drafted. then not care about the others on the list
And reset for next year .

K o

I am also not having a crack at draftees.

My gripe is a disconnect from local clubs.
It use to be up to the player

Nothing wrong with the coaching

But would hope that the TAC cup physophy is not get as many drafted. then not care about the others on the list
And reset for next year .

Your original post suggested that 'the Pioneers system and group needs an overhaul' ... and that 'AFL central Victoria must be asking questions why other regions work, while the Pioneers do not' ...

I think I have answered the question for you in relation to Ballarat and Bendigo. Rebels players are either from Ballarat and surrounding districts, or they are from various other regions (including the Pioneers region, and housed in boarding schools such as St Patrick's College, Ballarat & Clarendon, or Ballarat Grammar. It's a simple yet significant difference as kids don't have to travel 'miles' to training .... I can't comment on Gippsland as I do not know. I imagine the Bushrangers face similar problems to the Pioneers with the tyranny of distance.

I repeat ... the TAC system is a pathway designed to educate young players to feed the industry that is AFL footy. I think all players on lists are 'cared' about, but ultimately the AFL's pathway system has the prize of a spot on an AFL list. The reality of life is that not everyone wins a prize!

Anyway, with due respect, this is a BFL forum so we might leave it there.

Your original post suggested that 'the Pioneers system and group needs an overhaul' ... and that 'AFL central Victoria must be asking questions why other regions work, while the Pioneers do not' ...

I think I have answered the question for you in relation to Ballarat and Bendigo. Rebels players are either from Ballarat and surrounding districts, or they are from various other regions (including the Pioneers region, and housed in boarding schools such as St Patrick's College, Ballarat & Clarendon, or Ballarat Grammar. It's a simple yet significant difference as kids don't have to travel 'miles' to training .... I can't comment on Gippsland as I do not know. I imagine the Bushrangers face similar problems to the Pioneers with the tyranny of distance.

I repeat ... the TAC system is a pathway designed to educate young players to feed the industry that is AFL footy. I think all players on lists are 'cared' about, but ultimately the AFL's pathway system has the prize of a spot on an AFL list. The reality of life is that not everyone wins a prize!

Anyway, with due respect, this is a BFL forum so we might leave it there.
are the pios the only tac cup side to not win a flag?
all other country teams have won at least one. whos our micky turner, you dont here bt talk about pio football factory?
no disrespect to ringo but other sides have no trouble getting high profile coaches within their under 18s why cant pios get a brent guerra for example whos an assistant at freo?
lets hope ringo's sacking provides an overhaul to the pios system, as I remember seeing pios go back to their home clubs and star in the past

are the pios the only tac cup side to not win a flag?
all other country teams have won at least one. whos our micky turner, you dont here bt talk about pio football factory?
no disrespect to ringo but other sides have no trouble getting high profile coaches within their under 18s why cant pios get a brent guerra for example whos an assistant at freo?
lets hope ringo's sacking provides an overhaul to the pios system, as I remember seeing pios go back to their home clubs and star in the past

Have you been drinking Trent? You are normally far more articulate.

As for high profile coaches: At the Rebels former coach David Loader and now Gerald Fitzgerald are hardly high profile AFL names.

Last edited:
Have you been drinking Trent? You are normally far more articulate.

As for high profile coaches: At the Rebels former coach David Loader and now Gerald Fitzgerald are hardly high profile AFL names.
haha thanks silver, I'll just put it down to sleep depravation. fitzy's a former vfl coach of the year and is the kevin sheedy of ballarat hes fairly high profile, although I have no idea who david loader is.

Interesting to see that there has been no big signings in the BFNL so far with the exception of Andrew Collins to Sandhurst, Josh Bowe to Eaglehawk and Clinton Young to Gisborne. Clubs like Storm and Square are usually very active in this landscape and unveil 2 or 3 big recruits each year but seem to be quiet this year. Any word on where clubs are at?

heard something at a pub that Kyneton have signed somebody from a vfl reserves side...
Sounds like they will go pretty well. Seems to be talk around that Storm will announce some recruits shortly including Brad Rohde. Lachie Sharp will be back playing so they could still come up alright. Was impressed with some of the kids they have and they beat us in what was a cracker 3rds Grand Final.

Sounds like they will go pretty well. Seems to be talk around that Storm will announce some recruits shortly including Brad Rohde. Lachie Sharp will be back playing so they could still come up alright. Was impressed with some of the kids they have and they beat us in what was a cracker 3rds Grand Final.

I thought Brad Rhode had moved to Qld

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard Rohde was a playing Assistant Coach so unlikely to be a fly in.Id imagine South Bendigo were disappointed to miss on him.
south would love a key forward however I dont think rohde would've been the man for the role. very lazy around training sessions. It'll be very interesting to see how he handles bfl after spending years in the lvfl.

Could someone PLEASE explain to me how Sandhurst of worthy of flag favouritism over Golden Square and even Strathfieldsaye for that matter?

$2.50 –
Sandhurst

$3 – Golden Square

$3 – Strathfieldsaye

$8 – Kangaroo Flat

$11 – Kyneton

$11 – Eaglehawk

$26 – Castlemaine

$31 – South Bendigo

$101 – Gisborne

$101 – Maryborough

Interesting to revisit some of these comments. It was not unreasonable to say this at the time. However look where Eaglehawk finished - almost made the Grand final.

It will be interesting to see how much Castlemaine, Gisborne & South Bendigo improve.

Any brave predictions?

Interesting to revisit some of these comments. It was not unreasonable to say this at the time. However look where Eaglehawk finished - almost made the Grand final.

It will be interesting to see how much Castlemaine, Gisborne & South Bendigo improve.

Any brave predictions?

Expect some incremental improvement at Gisborne. Gut feel is they should beat most of the bottom teams and win at the Graveyard against all but the to 4-5 teams... 6-10 wins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see Wayne Mitrovic, an all time great of the Dragons and captain of their 2004 premiership team has a clearance back to them. I assume he is coming back in some sort of coaching role. Can anyone clarify this?

I see Wayne Mitrovic, an all time great of the Dragons and captain of their 2004 premiership team has a clearance back to them. I assume he is coming back in some sort of coaching role. Can anyone clarify this?
Word on the street is the Boar has under 5 games to get 100 senior games up at the club so hoping to sneak them in this year.
Apparently he has played well in practice matches!

Back