Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weapo said:
Again some bad news, especially for us Square followers with rumours that Aaron Hawkins is heading to Cohuna?

Weapo your right on the mail here. I also hear he is taking Dillon Anderson as well who is keen to return to his junior club.

just saw the pools in todays addy for the pre season comp the way luke west thinks it should be. whats peoples opinion on the pools? rochy are in south and golden squares pool and echuca are with sandhurst and maryborough

NOT a real big surprise but Gisborne CHF Jordie Barham is going to play with VFL club Werribee this year.
He did have one game with Geelong's VFL side last year when Gis. had the bye. And he also did a fair bit of the summer pre-season with Melbourne.

YEP, he has Bossco. And also Dave Power is returning and Ty Elliott sez he will play on for 1 more year.
As you will have seen Jordan Barham if off to Werribee. And earlier in the summer, Adam Pokrovsky (Coburg) and Ricky Watts (Williamstown) were also training with VFL clubs to try and step up. Don't know whether either, or both, have made it.

Top dog gone

Luke West
Saturday, 28 January 2006

PREMIERSHIP forward Jordan Barham has quit Gisborne to embark on a Victorian Football League career with Werribee.

Barham has spent the past two years with Gisborne, playing in the club's All Seasons Bendigo Football League premiership last season and losing grand final side to Sandhurst in 2004.

But he is moving on to pit his skills at a higher level with Werribee, who was beaten by Sandringham in last year's thrilling VFL grand final.

"We're rapt to get Jordan; we spoke to him last year, but he said he wanted to have a year playing footy with his brother," Werribee coach Simon Atkins said yesterday.

"He's coming off a fantastic season with Gisborne, and has the benefit of doing a pre-season with Melbourne behind him.

"He offers us height and mobility at either end of the ground and he has set a great example on the training track in the two weeks he has been training with us."

Barham has previously spent time on the Port Power and St Kilda rookie lists, and also spent the first part of the pre-season this summer with Melbourne, but was unsuccessful in being drafted.

Since he returned to Gisborne from Myrtleford in 2004, Barham has been one of the most difficult key forwards for opposition sides to match up on in the BFL.

Last year, he kicked 59 goals for the Bulldogs, including six hauls of five goals or more.

He kicked three in Gisborne's 31-point win against Eaglehawk in the grand final at the Queen Elizabeth Oval, but it could have been considerably more after he had 12 shots at goal.

Gisborne coach Marcus Barham - Jordan's brother - said the 194 cm athletic forward would be a loss, but his departure gives younger players at Gardiner Reserve an opportunity.

Matthew Knox - a Rositas Rising Star nominee in round two last year - is one player who looms as a potential replacement at full-forward.

In his debut senior game last season, Knox booted six goals against Maryborough in an encouraging performance.

Another possible full-forward for the Bulldogs is Richard White, who kicked five goals against Kangaroo Flat late in the season.

"We've got some good young players coming through who will get their opportunity, so we can't worry about it too much," Marcus said.

The Bulldogs have pre-season matches lined up against Sunshine and Sunbury, and the BFL lightning premiership on April 1.

Gisborne played in last year's Ballarat Football League lightning premiership, and Marcus says the club is looking forward to competing in the Bendigo Football League's version.

"It's a good concept and a good chance to see new recruits from other sides," Marcus said.

"We go out to win every game, but because it will be our last hit-out before the season starts and our side for round one won't be decided, we will be giving a few blokes a chance."

The Bulldogs' first game of the premiership season will be when they play Golden Square at Country Vet Oval on Sunday, April 16.

Meanwhile, South Bendigo's active recruiting campaign has continued, with the Bloods' luring Ryan Connaughton back to the club.

Connaughton spent last year with Goulburn Valley Football League club, Rochester.

"It's good to have Ryan back at the club," South Bendigo coach Danny O'Bree said.

"We might play him down back this year; I think he will enjoy the challenge of playing off a half-back flank."

The Bloods will be the first team to confront the BFL's newest club, North City, when they clash under lights at the QEO on Saturday, April 15.

South Bendigo finished third last year, beaten by Eaglehawk in the preliminary final.

Wayne Weideman said:
just saw the pools in todays addy for the pre season comp the way luke west thinks it should be. whats peoples opinion on the pools? rochy are in south and golden squares pool and echuca are with sandhurst and maryborough

Weids, am sure the Rochy boys will be happy with this draw....

There is more than a few pretty keen to line up against Ryan Connaughton and Nick Knight

ilovetogetblind said:

There is more than a few pretty keen to line up against Ryan Connaughton and Nick Knight

the draw that was in the local was the reporters 'wishful thinking'.
as per my post in the other bendigo thread:
Have heard from a reliable source within the bfl that :
POOL A will contain - GSq, Ehawk & Rochy
POOL B - KFlat, M'borough & South Bgo
POOLC - Kyneton, C'Maine & Echuca
POOL D - Gisbourne, S'Hurst & North City

and pools A & C, B & D will play off in semi
which means that South & Rochy can only meet if they make it to the final.

also word is there will be a BFL sprint prior to the start of the final

Mark Lloyd of the Square (now he's reportedly NOT going to the Geelong league), Mark Scerri of Kyneton (if he's staying with the Tigers, but could be doubtful on that score), Brad Rogerson of the 2 Blues, Ben Galea of South.
Not putting Troy Auld or Jason Wescott of South in as sprint faves. They'd struggle a bit, like Boof Lehmann did last summer in the Adelaide Oval sprint against the Kiwi bloke, Richardson.

Jock Clark 2 said:
Mark Lloyd of the Square (now he's reportedly NOT going to the Geelong league), Mark Scerri of Kyneton (if he's staying with the Tigers, but could be doubtful on that score), Brad Rogerson of the 2 Blues, Ben Galea of South.
Not putting Troy Auld or Jason Wescott of South in as sprint faves. They'd struggle a bit, like Boof Lehmann did last summer in the Adelaide Oval sprint against the Kiwi bloke, Richardson.

I agree with Lloydy being a firm favourite but as for Scerri and Ben Galea, are you sure you dont mean Alex Galea, the goal sneak! As for wescott and auld, well even if each of them had to sprint half each they wouldn't come within 10 seconds of the winner!! Rogerson could be a smokey. What about the gizzy boys. A few of them have a bit of toe.

ilovetogetblind said:

who would these blokes be mate? i know that knight is goods friends with rochys ruckmen brennan and lenny schmidt. there might be a bit of chat on the field from the rochy boys but connaughton never shuts up and knight learnt from stevie rass the art of sledging. should be quite and interesting affair. i cant wait to watch the final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wayne Weideman said:
who would these blokes be mate? i know that knight is goods friends with rochys ruckmen brennan and lenny schmidt. there might be a bit of chat on the field from the rochy boys but connaughton never shuts up and knight learnt from stevie rass the art of sledging. should be quite and interesting affair. i cant wait to watch the final

Counting yourself out already mate...?

CLUBS have to vote on whether to shift the grannie from the Sat. to the Sunday in late September to avoid a clash with the HDFL play-off, and whether to endorse the 2 Sat. nite finals on the opening weekends of the 2006 finals series.
That's the qualifying final (2nd versus 3rd) and second semi-final (top team at end of home-and-away season versus winner of qualifying final).
I rekon Sat. night finals under lites is a great way to go.

Jock Clark 2 said:
CLUBS have to vote on whether to shift the grannie from the Sat. to the Sunday in late September to avoid a clash with the HDFL play-off, and whether to endorse the 2 Sat. nite finals on the opening weekends of the 2006 finals series.
That's the qualifying final (2nd versus 3rd) and second semi-final (top team at end of home-and-away season versus winner of qualifying final).
I rekon Sat. night finals under lites is a great way to go.

Can they ask the HDFL to do something about it. The HDFL currently has a week-end in the middle of the season pencilled in to play interleague, but know one really wants to play them. Last I heard they were in discussion with the Benalla District League, which should on paper at least, be a complete mismatch. Hey what about this for a brilliant idea - Hdfl scrap the meaningless interleague match and then put the GF a week earlier than Bendigo's, problem solved. Interleague matches are a good showcase for the league but it does not mean you have to have them every year.

Giantbug said:
Can they ask the HDFL to do something about it. The HDFL currently has a week-end in the middle of the season pencilled in to play interleague, but know one really wants to play them. Last I heard they were in discussion with the Benalla District League, which should on paper at least, be a complete mismatch. Hey what about this for a brilliant idea - Hdfl scrap the meaningless interleague match and then put the GF a week earlier than Bendigo's, problem solved. Interleague matches are a good showcase for the league but it does not mean you have to have them every year.

You are an IDEAS MAN bugalugs :thumbsu:

Giantbug said:

Why give BFL precedent, if the BFl are that concerned about attracting minor league spectators play it the day after the HDFL

Doona2 said:
Why give BFL precedent, if the BFl are that concerned about attracting minor league spectators play it the day after the HDFL

Good Point - I suppose I my point was more aimed at a pointless interleague clash. However, it is entertaining to see the BFL working themselves into a lather about Heathcote Leagues GF date. Maybe they have been a bit jealous of the GF gates of HDFl over the last few years

Giantbug said:
Good Point - I suppose I my point was more aimed at a pointless interleague clash. However, it is entertaining to see the BFL working themselves into a lather about Heathcote Leagues GF date. Maybe they have been a bit jealous of the GF gates of HDFl over the last few years

My thoughts exactly, if they're (BFL) so concerned about it, which they obviously are then Sunday is their best bet. Otherwise they risk losing out on bums on seats because the HDFL big one always pulls a crowd.

Already cleared to BFL clubs : Luke Rosa G Square .. from Warrack Eagles; Adrian Conn C'maine ... from Templestowe in Eastern Dist FL; Frank Byrne C'maine ... from Newstead; Damian Marra North City .... from St Arnaud

Trying for an OUT David Leatch Kyneton .... to Hoppers Crossing in the Ammos; Brad Comer Sandhurst .... to Newbridge; Jason Curtain Sandhurst .... to G Square.

Already OUT Greg McKenzie Gisborne to Yarraville in the Western Region League; Guy Campbell ex Bgo Bombers and Gisborne to Echuca United in the Murray League

Jock Clark 2 said:
Already cleared to BFL clubs : Luke Rosa G Square .. from Warrack Eagles; Adrian Conn C'maine ... from Templestowe in Eastern Dist FL; Frank Byrne C'maine ... from Newstead; Damian Marra North City .... from St Arnaud

Trying for an OUT David Leatch Kyneton .... to Hoppers Crossing in the Ammos; Brad Comer Sandhurst .... to Newbridge; Jason Curtain Sandhurst .... to G Square.

Already OUT Greg McKenzie Gisborne to Yarraville in the Western Region League; Guy Campbell ex Bgo Bombers and Gisborne to Echuca United in the Murray League

Good post Jock, have you got a link where we can check on clearances?

AND another quick one for you Spoke. Thanks to Grimmett for the direct link but also try:
www.bendigofooty.tk then click on "transfers"

You'll see Wh. Hills has rejected Shannon Hayes application to join South Bendigo but approved Ricky Coburn to go to Souith.
Wonder whether South will go to appeal to try and snaffle Hayes
They have a heap of paperwork "in progress" the ol' Red and Whites from South

See in today's Addie (I'm sure Doona will post it before too long) S'hurst skipper Wayne Mitrovic's problems with osteitis pubis has flared up
No certainty for Round 1 on Easter Saturday, the coach says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back