VFL Game Day Bendigo v North Ballarat Eureka stadium Sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

Drove up. Nice part of the world and pretty mild there yesterday.

As probably already mentioned Gumby, Kav and Bellcho were taken off at Three Quarter Time and spent the quarter in tracksuits on the bench.

Gumby doesn't deserve to play... but given the injury/suspension concerns, he will. Disappointing.

Bellchambers tapwork was exceptionally good.

Colyer, despite the odd turnover, was decent.

Cannot believe I'm saying this... but... Slattery was good. Needs to be considered.

Drove up. Nice part of the world and pretty mild there yesterday.

As probably already mentioned Gumby, Kav and Bellcho were taken off at Three Quarter Time and spent the quarter in tracksuits on the bench.

Gumby doesn't deserve to play... but given the injury/suspension concerns, he will. Disappointing.

Bellchambers tapwork was exceptionally good.

Colyer, despite the odd turnover, was decent.

Cannot believe I'm saying this... but... Slattery was good. Needs to be considered.

I seem to recall you abusing those of us who had the foresight to call for Gumby in on Thursday night. Oops.

I seem to recall you abusing those of us who had the foresight to call for Gumby in on Thursday night. Oops.

Abusing people, was I? That's interesting...

I hope Gumby comes in and rips it up on Saturday over there, but from what I saw yesterday... that is very unlikely.

The club is trying to put the positive spin on his possible selection (the website article) & given we're going to be without Hurley/Crameri, he will probably come in.

Along with pressure there is also a difference in skills and generally quicker delivery in Afl compared to VFL. The main thing to consider with Gumby is whether he is match fit.

Abusing people, was I? That's interesting...

I hope Gumby comes in and rips it up on Saturday over there, but from what I saw yesterday... that is very unlikely.

The club is trying to put the positive spin on his possible selection (the website article) & given we're going to be without Hurley/Crameri, he will probably come in.

Sorry, my mistake. My recollection was that you'd called people who wanted him in stupid or something. Apologies.

The point remains though. You implied that we'd be likely to lose if we picked him:

People shouldn't come on here piss and moaning if we play Gumby then and as a result get done.

It's not like he has had a few weeks off injured now played a few games in the VFL (he only played a quarter in his last VFL game). The guy has missed over 18 months of any sort of football and has only had 3 and a half games of competitive football since... he has shown glimpses in these games but still needs a fair amount of work before he challenges the position of anybody in the senior side.

It's certainly not 'close the door on Gumby' altogether... he just isn't ready yet and it would be a mistake to play him and would reek of complacency. St Kilda aren't exactly Gold Coast or GWS.

Along with pressure there is also a difference in skills and generally quicker delivery in Afl compared to VFL. The main thing to consider with Gumby is whether he is match fit.

Gumby was okay - but not great - before his concussion. Perhaps he was somehow rusty, but I was much more confident of him coming in before this week's match.

He has potentially 3 or 4 matches to play for his career. Hopefully Hirdy is getting is getting in his ear about his leading and running patterns, as there's no point running for running's sake.

I can't see the result being all that much different if Gumbleton played.

Tend to agree. I couldn't see the Gumbleton who I saw yesterday, who had 10 possessions and kicked 0.0, playing against St Kilda and even marginally reversing a 71 point defeat.

Sorry if that was such an outlandish statement, but each to their own...

I can't see the result being all that much different if Gumbleton played.

Maybe not the result, but the gameplay would have been vastly different. Every time we got the ball we went wide which we haven't done all year. Why? Because farking Melksham was playing CHF (sign Matthew Knights screwed with our heads #275878937: I typed "Monfries was playing CHF" as a muscle memory reflex type thing) and we couldn't bomb long to anything. Even if he literally had 0 possessions, Gumby would have allowed us to move the ball directly like we usually do and give our small forwards a chance to do something before St Kilda got their defensive numbers back.

Defending was shooting fish in a barrel for them because we went to a slow build up gamestyle for the first time all year. No surprises that it was our first non-competitive performance.

Maybe not the result, but the gameplay would have been vastly different. Every time we got the ball we went wide which we haven't done all year. Why? Because farking Melksham was playing CHF (sign Matthew Knights screwed with our heads #275878937: I typed "Monfries was playing CHF" as a muscle memory reflex type thing) and we couldn't bomb long to anything. Even if he literally had 0 possessions, Gumby would have allowed us to move the ball directly like we usually do and give our small forwards a chance to do something before St Kilda got their defensive numbers back.

Defending was shooting fish in a barrel for them because we went to a slow build up gamestyle for the first time all year. No surprises that it was our first non-competitive performance.

I agree entirely, but I don't think that messing with the structure was necessarily inherent in arguing that Gumbleton wouldn't be up to it since Bellchambers could probably be considered as viable an option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was commentating to a mate about the way we were shifting the ball from side to side reminded me of a soccer style build up.. it seemed so different from what has got us to where are this year. May have something to do with the way they flooded our fwd line but more to do with us having no central focal point as such.

i was commentating to a mate about the way we were shifting the ball from side to side reminded me of a soccer style build up.. it seemed so different from what has got us to where are this year. May have something to do with the way they flooded our fwd line but more to do with us having no central focal point as such.

We enabled them to flood back so easily though. We had no get out of jail chaos ball kick.

Any word on Winderlich? Did he play and for how much of the game? Did he play ok?

Came on after half-time and looked really well and untroubled by the knee and hammy. Could be the surprise packet come August.

My take on Bendigo's 6th consecutive win was that there was a clear class difference between the 2 sides. It was clear that Hirdy's influence on Skipworth to rest Bellchambers, Kavanagh and Gumbleton through the last quarter is part of the proof of that.

Colyer and Slattery also played with a higher level of class. It would not surprise me that all 5 players would be selected for the Port Adelaide game this weekend.

Big game at Windy Hill this Saturday as we take on the in-form Casey Scorpions.

It would not surprise me that all 5 players would be selected for the Port Adelaide game this weekend..

It doesn't surprise me you'd think that.

Undesirable fixturing again for Bendigo, as far as getting all our "fringe" players a game. If Bendigo play Saturday, Essendon will no doubt keep a couple out just in case, and take them to Adelaide.
It means a couple of players who don't get a game with the seniors but are close to it (eg maybe Browne, Colyer, Kav or the like) won't get to play for Bendigo, and if they are needed the following week against Geelong, will have had yet another week off.

Would have been much better if Bendigo played Sunday.

Jay Neagle used to do SFA in the 2's yet when got a surprise call up to the seniors would kick 2-3 goals and people would be posting "Why has he been wasting away in the VFL". Rarely do listed fwds at any club kick big bags of goals in the VFL, so Gumby not hitting the scoreboard isnt a huge concern.

Re Gumby think we need to take into consideration that he had a bad concussion 2 weeks ago (requiring 12 stitches to head). Many medical staff and players themselves have commented that quite often your not back to your normal self until 3 weeks later when playing footy. Fingers crossed he is back to his normal self and can contribute at 100% of his capacity this week. Definitely need a mobile marking target with Hurley/Crameri out and Gumby is the only option capable of providing this. Ryder doesn't work as a permanent forward - we've tried this before - he plays his best when in the ruck.

I've backed Bendigo the last 6 weeks running for a decent profit. Keeping in mind there are 2-3 more essendon players out and 2 will travel as emergencies bendigo will be much shorter on talent this week.
Time to jump off and back the opposition this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back