News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He clearly doesn't have a good support network. From what I've heard, he doesn't.

I know what you're saying re the penalty and I agree to a point in that if he wants to pull himself together, he has the chance. But, what about his calf? He has had access to the best medical advice in the world over the last 2 years and he's still having trouble with it. How's he going to go training away from the club and at Peel? They've set him up to fail imo. Unless of course the calf is a red herring and isn't as bad as we think and could be fixed if he really wants?
I totally agree.

What days do Peel train. I would guess Tuesdays/Thursdays afternoons. Press release from Bond yesterday was mid afternoon - if Harley doesn't have a calf injury he might have had to go to Mandurah yesterday.

Yeah, good call but Yarrans was slightly different in that he had already been to gaol and then got another 2 serious charges while a Docker. He was never going to get chances. Newman was an 18yo draftee and I think was his first issue while at WC. This was also back in the Worsfold days and we all know the s**t that went down back then. Their culture has been much better than ours since then.

Also, we picked up Bennell knowing his history and have given him far too many chances even though his incidents haven't been serious enough to be sent to jail. I just think that if we were serious about our culture we would've removed him totally by now. Just my opinion but I don't think we have any moral high ground over WC in this area atm.
So how about Masten, Darling? Plenty of WA based players have had run ins with bouncers, skyworks, girlfriends.
Until Harley is charged with a serious offence, which he hasn't, the club has set the standard for improvement.
Society, journalism, these days is a joke with PC, sure Bennell is an idiot, but I reckon at the same age we have
all done some reckless stunts.
When Richmond were looking to offload Martin, life is full of risks, no risk no reward.

Such a shame it's gone this way and I can't see him coming back from this now IMO just had way too many problems and probably not the best fora . footy club to have someone like this in the squad. I reckon he was the most talented player we've seen in the game for the past 25 years but I feel we will be robbed of seeing him at full flight. Loved him at the Suns but I feel it was the wrong for himself to move back home to his mates... have heard they aren't the kind you would want your son or daughter to hang with.

Hope he can come good but I fear unless he changes his circle of friends and life style choices he will he will be out of the game at the end of his current contract. Can't see him being offered an extension at this rate.

Cuz,Chick,Fletcher,Gardiner ,Mainwaring were never reprimanded despite red flags flying every where. At least Freo have recognised the problem and not turned a blind eye like WC did. Bit rich for a WC supporter to come on here lecturing us about how we are dealing with Harley.

I wasn't lecturing. I wish my club had taken a harder stance earlier. It is idiotic to say well the eagles didn't do this right so therefor any of the fans can't have a say. I would think most of us would agree the club handled it poorly. It is even more idiotic to use something that we know was handled poorly as the yard stick to measure freo's action by.

To say none of the eagle were reprimanded is 100% wrong, reprimanded severely enough is the question (we all know the answer to that, No). Let's not turn this thread into the old eagles v dockers crap fest. We are never going to agree on that.

If you guys don't want opposition supporters joining in put it in the thread title.

I'm happy with the sentence handed down. The only thing that Bennell's been charged with since he got back to Perth was driving without a licence. Hell even the Bar itself didn't lay any charges against him from the weekend's events. Give him the rest of this contract (ie until the end of the year). If he keeps quiet for that time and gets back on the park, give him a one year extension. If he keeps messing up, turf him.

Has showed many signs of being a future star

Hopefully he does a Walters and turns it around

I’m confident (or perhaps just hoping) that once his calf’s right and he’s playing again he’ll be fine and these episodes will stop. It surely has to be frustrating being a professional athlete but unable to play.

I wasn't lecturing. I wish my club had taken a harder stance earlier. It is idiotic to say well the eagles didn't do this right so therefor any of the fans can't have a say. I would think most of us would agree the club handled it poorly. It is even more idiotic to use something that we know was handled poorly as the yard stick to measure freo's action by.

To say none of the eagle were reprimanded is 100% wrong, reprimanded severely enough is the question (we all know the answer to that, No). Let's not turn this thread into the old eagles v dockers crap fest. We are never going to agree on that.

If you guys don't want opposition supporters joining in put it in the thread title.

Cuz was made Captain when most of Perth knew what he was up to. Yep he was reprimanded. :rolleyes:
Plus read your own board on the subject ,its feral so put your opinions in there . We don't give a flying fart what your opinion is on our board.

From my understanding $15k fine is really $30k of their gross salary for an AFL player when you factor in the tax effect.
You can't realistically fine them any more than that (not sure what aflpa limit is).

Really dissapointed with this result. For whatever reason, Harley has consistently shown he isn't able to make the commitments required of an AFL player. At this stage the most value we could have gotten out of him was as an example to all the young players we just drafted of what won't be tolerated, by sacking him. Putting it all back on to the leadership group is a bit soft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just hard to imagine Harley ever getting his attitude right.

Whenever he is on holiday's there appears to be a strong chance of an incident and many incidents (of heavy drinking) have been reported here that didn't make it to the media. Brad Hardie was reporting that he was playing up at the end of the year (and who would doubt it) and despite this he goes again on the last night before training.

I don't believe in a person having a permanent minder, his behaviour and any changes are up to him. I am sure his teammates are doing their best but excuses should not be made for him.

This is obviously the last chance and so it should be, don't think he has a better than 40% chance of turning it around so he is out of my mind for this season.

Just hard to imagine Harley ever getting his attitude right.

Whenever he is on holiday's there appears to be a strong chance of an incident and many incidents (of heavy drinking) have been reported here that didn't make it to the media. Brad Hardie was reporting that he was playing up at the end of the year (and who would doubt it) and despite this he goes again on the last night before training.

I don't believe in a person having a permanent minder, his behaviour and any changes are up to him. I am sure his teammates are doing their best but excuses should not be made for him.

This is obviously the last chance and so it should be, don't think he has a better than 40% chance of turning it around so he is out of my mind for this season.

I don't mind it.
He's on the list and we can't replace him.

He either shits or gets off the pot.

Just did a quick calculation and it's actually a 38.71% chance.

Cuz was made Captain when most of Perth knew what he was up to. Yep he was reprimanded. :rolleyes:
Plus read your own board on the subject ,its feral so put your opinions in there . We don't give a flying fart what your opinion is on our board.
Then ignore me rather than being an ass hat about it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Stop speaking for all of us.

If you can't handle civil discussion between footy fans, put him on block or stop whining.

I don't need you to tell me what to post. If you don't like it don't read it and for what its worth the poster is a WC slug, only turns up on our board when there is a Freo drama. There is plenty of Bennell s**t on his own board to throw his opinions around without coming on here.

From my understanding $15k fine is really $30k of their gross salary for an AFL player when you factor in the tax effect.
You can't realistically fine them any more than that (not sure what aflpa limit is).
It's the other way around. Money doesn't go from the player to the club, it just doesn't go from the club to the player.

He might be on a big salary compared to the rest of us, but that is still a hefty amount of dosh to lose even for that salary, if it were you or me we'd be screaming at the payroll staff. He's banished from the playing group for 2 months and if it were me, the biggest punishment is going to counselling - if he's like me he'd hate those gabfests.

I'm happy with this, he's in contract until the end of the year and we can't just put up a job ad at seek.com or get a temp to replace him. I can't imagine him being allowed any more misdemeanours without being sacked. I think it unlikely but I hope that 15k proves a good education for him, at least to be a better person in the long term, maybe it let's him get on with his footy career.

Please let's not pretend he got any punishment at all.

The judge ruled it a case of boys will be boys.

It's the other way around. Money doesn't go from the player to the club, it just doesn't go from the club to the player.
You might be right, I was thinking it was like the AFL fines which the player has to pay (eg $1500 melee fee), my understanding is that these come out of post tax dollars and the player doesn't get a tax deduction.

Ben Cousins is out of jail today if HB is interested enough to note that things can go haywire in a big way. Being a gun footballer doesn't count for much if your life runs out of control. I hope they both get on the straight and narrow and make something of their lives.

Yes, you think this would make anyone stop and think but as you know some people just don't understand the consequences of their actions until it is too late, Harley is rapidly heading that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back