News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
When Cam says “Let’s bring it in boys” at the end of his speech in the huddle, you know the language is going to get a little ‘blue’.

That’s usually the cue for women and children to get off the ground and resume their seats.

Women and children love that stuff these days and some are the best proponents.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Collingwood really came down hard on De Goey today, made us look very soft - especially considering he self reported unlike Harley seems to have

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Also drink driving is a much more serious offence than a bit of a scuffle at a night club.
I thought the scuffle was a non-event and Harley was actually punished for being drunk the day before training?

In any event, the fact that Degoey got in a car drunk is way worse. He endangered others lives doing that. Harley was just wasting his own talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the Collingwood AFLW going winless so far, with both Eddie McGuire and Nathan Buckley at the last game, contributed to the result.

I know they were not happy with his physical condition before this but it would be fun to think Collingwood FC took out some of their frustration on De Goey, especially with bad boy Heath Shaw on the sidelines playing hero helping out the ladies GWS team and buying them dinner.

It would feel like the kicks just keep coming.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder if the Collingwood AFLW going winless so far, with both Eddie McGuire and Nathan Buckley at the last game, contributed to the result.

I know they were not happy with his physical condition before this but it would be fun to think Collingwood FC took out some of their frustration on De Goey, especially with bad boy Heath Shaw on the sidelines playing hero helping out the ladies GWS team and buying them dinner.

It would feel like the kicks just keep coming.
I highly doubt AFLW is even remotely related to this punishment.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
You do realise De Goey broke the law and Bennell didn't right. Actually, Collingwood made their treatment of Hodge look comically soft.
And Bennell didn't when he drove without a licence and got a further ban for 9 months? Following that he's been slapped on the wrist by the club 3 or 4 more times

Edit: Bennell's fine and suspension from driving were actually both higher and longer from the court

Yet after all that and another year of unprofessional behaviour would we even dream of starting a club statement with "it has been agreed Harley will remain a senior listed player"

Last edited:

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
And Bennell didn't when he drove without a licence and got a further ban for 9 months? Following that he's been slapped on the wrist by the club 3 or 4 more times

Lost license due to accumulated demerit points is how it was reported and according to Bennell he'd not received the notification because of a change of address. I have personally have found Department of Transport unreliable in sending out notices and I haven't moved house in 20 years - although they've moved location several times. Grain of salt etc. De Goey is a p-plater, so he shouldn't have any alcohol level.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Lost license due to accumulated demerit points is how it was reported and according to Bennell he'd not received the notification because of a change of address. I have personally have found Department of Transport unreliable in sending out notices and I haven't moved house in 20 years - although they've moved location several times. Grain of salt etc. De Goey is a p-plater, so he shouldn't have any alcohol level.
A pattern of poor behaviour shouldn't lessen the case in point.

Harley is also much older and should have already had his wake up call being booted from his last club for drugs and fighting in clubs already

Even Shane Yarran a convicted criminal was given more rope than De Goey

Galvo

Senior List
Feb 11, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Collingwood really came down hard on De Goey today, made us look very soft - especially considering he self reported unlike Harley seems to have

I could be missing something but the punishments seem very similar to me. It's just different language has been used to describe the suspension ie $20k and an indefinite suspension vs $15k and a minimum of 8 weeks suspension.

They could both be playing after 8 weeks or never again.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lost license due to accumulated demerit points is how it was reported and according to Bennell he'd not received the notification because of a change of address. I have personally have found Department of Transport unreliable in sending out notices and I haven't moved house in 20 years - although they've moved location several times. Grain of salt etc.

I went through a multanova when I was about 30 and paid the fine. A few days later I got a call from the police about it. They told me that my drivers' license had expired 4 years ago. They had been sending it to 410 instead of 41d all that time. I had no idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back