Bennett

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually, I think it's fair enough to refuse to answer questions. I didn't see the interview, so I can't really comment, but if a coach thinks a question is stupid I have no problem with him saying that he won't answer it.

What kind of questions didn't he want to answer?

It didn't matter what question, it was any of them. He's just sooking because the league's made it compulsory to have to front up after a game.

Wayne Bennett = fool

I don't have much time for Wayne Bennett, he's a very petty character who seems to have a fair chip on his shoulder.

About a month ago, a young up-and-coming Bronco player, Justin Hodges, announced that he had signed up with the Roosters starting next year. He had been with the Broncos since he was a schoolboy and the Broncos had geared him to take Wendell Sailor's place next year, so naturally the Broncos were dissappointed and angry at his future move.

Wayne Bennett after hearing the news said that Hodges was not welcome at club training and would spend the rest of the season in the reserves irrespective of form. Hodges has been ostracised by the club he has been playing with for several years. Sure, you don't want a player you've nurtured to turn their back on you and leave, but Rugby League is now a business and clubs have to be
resign to the fact that players will leave sometimes despite the amount of time you've put into them.

Bennett's actions were petty and short-sighted, Hodges is a Queenslander and only 20 years old (I think) so there's a high chance that after a couple of seasons in Sydney he'd want to return to the Broncos but not anymore after Bennett's act! Also players should be picked on form not on the coach's prejudices and the Broncos board is as much at blame for letting Bennett carry on like a pork chop, Bennett needs to go, his halcyon days are over now he's just holding the Broncos back with his petulant attitudes believing he is above the laws and conditions which govern all other Rugby League coaches.

Wayne Bennett...has had a tragic childhood...

I remember reading the story of his life when he was young and I suppose that has turned him into the person he is....still I guess the guy is now living in the past, and rugby league needs to gets its act together in a couple of areas and Bennett is not helping that image.

However, I do think he is a great coach.

I tend to agree with him re Hodges..I heard also there was a little more to that story that was revealed.

Hopefully rugby league players can soon change their stance on the timing of when they decide to change clubs, it should be at the end of the year, not 3/4's of the way thru the year.....this brings me back to the Kimmorley saga and how unsettling this way.

I would love to see Bennett coaching the Storm as I feel he should get away from Queensland and make a fresh start, say in Melb. where it will be a challenge for him.

What do you guys think??

I agree Ms. Storm.

The Broncos had invested a lot of time and money into the young player and were rightly dissapointed when he dropped the club mid-season. I hope other coaches follow Bennetts lead and we will get some respect back into the players about the clubs they have signed up to play for.

It's very dissapointing when players are negotiating with other clubs when they are still playing for a club.

I see your points, Briedis and Ms. Storm re. Hodges, I just reckon it was silly for Bennett to totally alienate Hodges. No one likes disloyalty by players and I can understand Bennett's point in making an example of him but I never believe it is wise to burn bridges. The world of professional sports these days doesn't lend itself much to loyalty, and clubs are just as guilty if not more guilty than players in this regard.

Bennett's actions have greatly reduced the chances of Hodges ever wanting to play again with the Broncos in the future. Bennett's decision, though effective in making a point with players regarding player loyalty and contracts could well turn back on the Broncos in the future, particularly if Hodges becomes a star player, and expresses that he would otherwise return Brisbane but for his past experiences with Bennett.

It's also a bit hypocritical of Bennett to dump the kid for signing with another club after Sailor had already decided to go to Rugby mid-way through the season and is still playing.

I agree about players being able to sign with other clubs halfway through a season, it is an absolute joke. How can you stay focused when you know you aren't going to be playing with that club next year? And so much for the deadline about not talking with other clubs until the 30th of June. There would have been a lot of deals done in secret before then. Until Rugby League fixes those areas, they will not get the supporters back that they once had.

Hippie, Bennet said that the difference between Sailor and Hodges is that Wendel has served the club loyally over a long period of time and the club would stand behind any decision he made for his future because of the long-term input he has given to the club over the years. I think this is fair enough.

Also, who cares about coaches post-match interviews anyway? Even the ones that do speak just string cliche after cliche so that they won't say anything that will either rev up the opposition or get them fined by the AFL/NRL. It's just a pointless exercise and Bennet seems to hate being forced to spend his time doing it, which I can also understand. The only ones who are upset about it are the media and obviously they have the medium to make it a big issue if they want to....

Some really good points by all...

AND IT SEEMS we all agree about the players union agreeing to change the timing of signing contracts.

I think there will be a strong push in this area very soon.
It will improve the image of rugby league in general.

Rugby league administrators and players still have got quite a bit to learn from afl( *and the same can be reversed in some areas too for afl, e.g. judiciary vs afl's pathetic tribunal) so hopefully this should stengthen the image of r/l because its such a great game, but just needs to get its act together in some areas.

Cheers:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back