Benny for the AFL CEO(?)

Remove this Banner Ad

If they appoint someone from media land as boss then the game will have its soul sold to the highest bidder ( if we haven’t already). I think it’s critical that a football person gets the gig. The game is in danger of losing its position as the religion of the masses if they continue on the path they’ve taken in recent years.

Given the media deal is expected to be done before Gill goes, a strong media industry background would not be as critical as it may be if the deal still needed to be done.

To me it is basically if the clubs want someone to represent them and football, or they want a media focused person, or the Boy's club yet again.

If the clubs band together they will appoint the new CEO. If they don't then the AFL insiders will win.

The clubs seem to be fairly p'd off. So hopefully they will get a reset, using Benny Gale.

What Eddie says points very clearly at Mr. B Gale. But is Eddie representative of the clubs and others? Or is he an outlier?

So much to play out.

But we all know that the AFL has gone totally off the rails. They might just manage to kill the Golden Goose. And our passion for football. Hopefully there are enough people to reset the dumpster fire that is the AFL.

Benny gets the job. Immediately scraps the stand rule, umpire dissent, protected zone and brings back holding the ball. Sounds like a dream too good to be true

I don’t mind what they’re trying to do with umpire dissent. It was getting out of hand. But they need to be more pragmatic about it.

To me it is basically if the clubs want someone to represent them and football, or they want a media focused person, or the Boy's club yet again.

If the clubs band together they will appoint the new CEO. If they don't then the AFL insiders will win.

The clubs seem to be fairly p'd off. So hopefully they will get a reset, using Benny Gale.

What Eddie says points very clearly at Mr. B Gale. But is Eddie representative of the clubs and others? Or is he an outlier?

So much to play out.

But we all know that the AFL has gone totally off the rails. They might just manage to kill the Golden Goose. And our passion for football. Hopefully there are enough people to reset the dumpster fire that is the AFL.

Would be a pretty good idea to have an ex-player, Lawyer, ex-club CEO and ex-AFLPA CEO in charge of the AFL given what’s likely to be coming with a CTE class action. Not to mention his many other executive skills and experience.

I can not think of a more qualified person for it. Which means he probably won’t get it. If the AFL go internal it’s probably going to be Dillon.

Last edited:
Interesting segment on who is in line to be the next AFL CEO.

Couple of things interested me. 'All of the clubs want Benny Gale'. 'The AFL doesn't want Benny Gale'. And Eddie that there needs to be a step change with a football guy in charge. Sounds like the AFL boy's club doesn't want any silly football focused person to come in and trash the apple cart. And Benny would do that big time.

I'd hate to lose the Chief, but I would love him to run the AFL. Would stop a lot of the crap.

I'm the same - hate to lose Benny, but generational change is necessary at the AFL, and if this is the price to get back to something like footy's core roots, then so be it for the good of the code!

Wonder if Gil will have a say in who replaces him. You’d think not, but he is on the commission.

Looking at what happened at Melbourne him and Goyder appear to love pissing in each other’s pocket
Is on the Commission only because he is CEO - surely not!

I don’t mind what they’re trying to do with umpire dissent. It was getting out of hand. But they need to be more pragmatic about it.
True, have no problem with mouthed swearing, OVER THE TOP rejection of the decision, and straight out abuse - but this penalising of emotion, hands out, come on...type of thinking is just plain stupid and makes the whole game seem petty. Get rid of some of the dweeby type umpires if they can't cope with a little disagreement. Minor and marginal infractions should just be 10m and if the penalised person gets in the way, then 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew Dillon is a Richmond supporter, if he gets it then thats ok, if Benny gets it, I reckon Dillon would make a great next CEO at Richmond, although Cain Liddle would also be a big chance.

True, have no problem with mouthed swearing, OVER THE TOP rejection of the decision, and straight out abuse - but this penalising of emotion, hands out, come on...type of thinking is just plain stupid and makes the whole game seem petty. Get rid of some of the dweeby type umpires if they can't cope with a little disagreement. Minor and marginal infractions should just be 10m and if the penalised person gets in the way, then 50.

I suspect that most umpires are just as frustrated with the changes as most supporters. It'd be crap to try and adjudicate when you don't know what the rules actually are any more.

Andrew Dillon is a Richmond supporter, if he gets it then thats ok, if Benny gets it, I reckon Dillon would make a great next CEO at Richmond, although Cain Liddle would also be a big chance.
he is not a richmond supporter if he sits there like a stunned mullet while they do this to our club

just a bitch

We know who's best qualified in every aspect of the job and we know who won't get an interview.
Owl Who Meme GIFs | Tenor

Benny, he's not in the club.

The club being the Boy's club I presume.

I just hope that the dissatisfaction people have leads to picking an outsider, from the Boy's club that is. Benny is one of the ultimate insiders in the AFL overall.

If the AFL pick one of their own again, then I reckon the crowds and dissatisfaction will just go through the roof.

I think if Gale put his hand up publicly that he wanted to be CEO of the AFL he'd have a very good chance.
A lot of other clubs respect him & the push to get him there would be pretty big.
Doubt it , interstate clubs would fear someone that had a background with major Melb based club , wouldn’t have universal support despite outstanding credentials

I feel the boys club would intentionally sabotage his reign.
Would be a huge effort if he was able to clean it up.

I reckon he'd be part of an effort to clean out the old guard. Bring in people with sense and competence and get rid of the narcissists. 1/2 the AFL HQ leaves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back