Benny Gale to the NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Benny Gale being tapped hard by the NRL to take over the helm and dig them out of the coronovirus hole.

NRL has form on targeting AFL types - Gillon was their first pick before they appointed Greenberg.

Benny fancies himself as AFL boss one day, and this could provide a great launching pad.

He's done tremendous work with the Tigers, you'd say pretty much job done there, this would provide a great new challenge.

I'd be backing away from that challenge, hastily. They're already a shambles without the Corona Virus. An "opportunity" like that is a double edged sword: if you get it right, great, the world is your oyster, but get it wrong and the AFL is out of the question. As it stands, he could just hang around AFL circles for a few more years and he'll probably get the top job without even having to risk everything. Unless, of course, he just loves a challenge - in which case, he'd have a doozy at the NRL.

I'd be backing away from that challenge, hastily. They're already a shambles without the Corona Virus. An "opportunity" like that is a double edged sword: if you get it right, great, the world is your oyster, but get it wrong and the AFL is out of the question. As it stands, he could just hang around AFL circles for a few more years and he'll probably get the top job without even having to risk everything. Unless, of course, he just loves a challenge - in which case, he'd have a doozy at the NRL.

Yeah, I can totally understand the risk. But hey, does just hanging round get you anywhere in life.

Gale's a good operator. Nobody internationally knows who Richmond is, so turning them around means squat.

But the NRL has international purchase. He turns that around and then does a session at the AFL and gets that humming again - he can start to look on the big stage imo.

Risk worth taking.

Seriously mate, just stop. Pretty sad attempt at attention. Gale at this point in time has 0 interest in leading the AFL. He has stated his work isn't finished at Richmond.

Yeah, I can totally understand the risk. But hey, does just hanging round get you anywhere in life.

Gale's a good operator. Nobody internationally knows who Richmond is, so turning them around means squat.

But the NRL has international purchase. He turns that around and then does a session at the AFL and gets that humming again - he can start to look on the big stage imo.

Risk worth taking.

Can you imagine the abuse and scorn from Sydney RL types when this ship eventually starts to sink? From an AFL background he would be on a hiding to nothing.

Can you imagine the abuse and scorn from Sydney RL types when this ship eventually starts to sink? From an AFL background he would be on a hiding to nothing.

It is a risk for sure.

I'm not saying he's going or anything, I'm saying the NRL are interested in him.

Risk worth taking.
I can look at it both ways. He might enjoy being part of a couple more Richmond flags before moving into AFL house. Then he can probably walk into the job, and after that, the world is open to him. I think success at the AFL would be a better primer than success at the NRL. Despite Rugby league being an international sport, it's not as huge an organisation as the AFL. But hey, some people just love a challenge, and if he wants to do it, why not. I wonder if he would have mixed feelings about competing with his number one sport. Sometimes the heart isn't in it when you're from a different code.

Benny Gale being tapped hard by the NRL to take over the helm and dig them out of the coronovirus hole.

NRL has form on targeting AFL types - Gillon was their first pick before they appointed Greenberg.

Benny fancies himself as AFL boss one day, and this could provide a great launching pad.

He's done tremendous work with the Tigers, you'd say pretty much job done there, this would provide a great new challenge.
Knowing people who have worked with the head honchos in AFL land, they say Benny Gale is the most impressive of the lot.

Seriously mate, just stop. Pretty sad attempt at attention. Gale at this point in time has 0 interest in leading the AFL. He has stated his work isn't finished at Richmond.

Cant see Gale being interested in reporting to V'Landys, are you suggesting he might be
OR
do you understand how a management structure works?

???

It is the NRL who making the running here.

As I said before, they've got form going after rising AFL administrative stars.

RUGBY league has made a multimillion-dollar poaching raid on the AFL's No.2 man Gillon McLachlan.

The Australian Rugby League Commission is prepared to offer McLachlan more than $1 million a year to replace former NRL chief executive David Gallop.

McLachlan has been headhunted after overseeing key growth issues such as the AFL's $1.25 billion broadcast deal last year, and the formation of expansion sides on the Gold Coast and in Greater Western Sydney.

He refused to comment yesterday. Industry sources claim he has been told the job is his if he wants it.

Knowing people who have worked with the head honchos in AFL land, they say Benny Gale is the most impressive of the lot.

Exactly.

If I were the NRL he'd be my first cab of the rank.

Greenberg is brown bread.

Gale also has the "cultural" side of things sorted.

Cant see Gale being interested in reporting to V'Landys, are you suggesting he might be
OR

No need to get snippy.

I'm saying the NRL are very keen on him, just as they were with McLachlan.

He's done an unfortunately brilliant job at Richmond - wish he'd been worse at his job so we didn't have to put up with millions of bloody Tigers fans lording it over us for the next decade - and is probably one of the few in the country who could do the same for the NRL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OR

I suspect given my employment history I have more of a handle on corporate structures than your good self. I may also know people within the club, hence my remark "he has no interest in the head job of the AFL. He feels his work isn't complete at Richmond". Now given the unfortunate pandemic that is now upon us, he will be even less inclined to go anywhere.

???

It is the NRL who making the running here.

As I said before, they've got form going after rising AFL administrative stars.

I think we should just have a Richmond mega thread for you to dump all your Richmond threads into. Could be a time saving.

He's done an unfortunately brilliant job at Richmond - wish he'd been worse at his job so we didn't have to put up with millions of bloody Tigers fans lording it over us for the next decade - and is probably one of the few in the country who could do the same for the NRL.

Exactly, this isn't some go at Richmond. It is bloody praise of them lol.

I think we should just have a Richmond mega thread for you to dump all your Richmond threads into. Could be a time saving.

It isn't about our bunnies actually, it is about the NRL and Gale.

No need to get snippy.

I'm saying the NRL are very keen on him, just as they were with McLachlan.

I'm suggesting the NRL/V'Landys is a very different animal to the AFL/Goyder & the structure the two of Commissions is very different as is the day to day administration with the clubs.

Snippy you say, I missed any speculation in the media over Benny that you refer to.

I suspect given my employment history I have more of a handle on corporate structures than your good self. I may also know people within the club, hence my remark "he has no interest in the head job of the AFL. He feels his work isn't complete at Richmond". Now given the unfortunate pandemic that is now upon us, he will be even less inclined to go anywhere.

Your need to pump up your own tyres on your employment history suggests to me you feel insecure.

My comments have not mentioned any club, nor did the OP - being nice, what post are you replying to, maybe ask your EA/exec sec.

Not an Eddie fan, but the way he was treated by the Sydney establishment when he headed Ch9 almost made me feel sorry for him.

Gale's resume and achievements at Richmond could give him any sporting CEO job in the country if the timing was right and the job was available. He's got the credibility and results to back it up.

I don't see him jumping ship to the NRL though. He is an AFL man through and through, and a Melbourne man. Eventually he will be high up in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back