BERGER SIGNS ON!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 26, 2008
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
(COLLINGWOOD has secured the prized signature of gun defender Matthew Scharenberg, continuing a raft of re-signings for the Pies.

The Herald Sun can reveal Scharenberg has agreed to a two-year extension, which will keep him at the club until the end of 2020.

It is a huge coup for the Magpies, with the South Australian in the midst of a career-best season.)

Great work Pies! Love the way this kid is going about his business!

Wow, that's a big signature. One gets the feeling CFC are only scratching the surface in regards to his potential.

m38BnVQ.gif

Last edited:
I always knew he'd sign! (Bullshit, I had no idea)

I'm so happy he committed to the club. The cycle has turned and it would appear that the boys are happy and want to stick around to experience success together.

Onwards and upwards.

Duck Toaster, off topic but could you make a gif out of the bearded guy waving a flag, you know that supporter from the VFL, might be hard but...

A gif exists on our website MB of that bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the way we are going about things under Ned Guy.

Great to see Scharenberg play some good footy this year, but more importantly to recommit for another 2 years. Presumably this takes him to restricted free agency territory?

I like the way we are going about things under Ned Guy.

Great to see Scharenberg play some good footy this year, but more importantly to recommit for another 2 years. Presumably this takes him to restricted free agency territory?
From the AFL website:

Players who are in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract, if they have served at least eight years with the club.

Would that be only 7 years?

From the AFL website:

Players who are in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract, if they have served at least eight years with the club.

Would that be only 7 years?

Correct 7 years. Interesting that the contract is only a 2 year extension.

Maybe he thinks in 2 Seasons he be Close to Elite and get a Huge Contract then

Maybe. But the trend across the industry is to sign contracts that gets you to free agency.

But it seems as if Collingwood under Ned Guy is looking for shorter contracts - 2 years max. Maybe the days of 4 - 5 year contracts are going with club worried about the impact of long terms contracts (injuries, form etc)

Good move by Ned in my view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back