• Yes, but he went a little too far

• No, but protecting players is key

• No, totally unacceptable but that is it, move on

• No, totally unacceptable and needs a sanction

• I barrack for another club and just want to see the results

• I am in the media and need my next news story

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You're assuming that the club isn't acting on supporting him if he indeed does need it. I put more trust in them than a gossip journo.

Don't get sucked into her. She was using the 'Bev needs help' card as a negative against his behaviour in the immediate aftermath, not through any genuine concern for him. If she's still banging on about it she's trying to change the slant to make herself look like she really cares, while moving the negative towards club management by assuming they aren't supporting Bevo.

The best I can say about her is that she has no self awareness, but I suspect she's really just a grub.
I have no idea whether Bev needs support or not and if he does whether he's receiving it or not. I daresay none of us outside the Club administration do. Wilson's in a position to have more knowledge. The argumentum ad hominem response gets us nowhere. If she's right, it's disturbing.

the Club's silent on her allegation that the Club recognises that Bev needs support and that it should have seen his meltdown coming.

I rarely engage in this s**t, and I shouldn't give this oxygen either, buuuuuuuuttttt....

Why the hell does the club need to respond to anything from this shitbag journalist, but more specifically this? If it's false it gives a nothing story more air, and even if it is true, the club can quietly review the situation and put things in place.

Don't feed the bottom-feeding scum.

I dont take the clubs mealy mouthed statements as meaning anything of substance. They were pretty obviously negotiated outcomes designed to refocus the competition on the rest of the opening round of the season after Bevo intemperate rant nearly derailed it.

Surely the burden of proof is on Caro to prove that the many assertions that she has spun into her self serving narrative is on her and not supporters, the club or Beveridge.

If we win the GF last year and he rocks up with this mo, is anyone questioning his mental health over it

If we had won the flag last year and Bev rocked up with the Mo then David King would be writing articles about how genius it was. He would be saying, "These new coaches like Craig McCrae should be looking at that and thinking, 'Right, I need to grow a handlebar moustache. That's what a leader looks like.' He's an innovator. He's eccentric. He's outside the box. That's what it takes to be the best coach in the comp."

It’s obvious the media has Bevo in their sights. My concern is there are some half truths. Don’t think Bevo does get challenged enough, he is too arrogant and cannot see his own coaching flaws, especially match selection And game plan. Yes there is a panel but I doubt anyone questions Bevo on selections.
In 6 seasons he's coached 33% of our finals wins since joining the VFL in 1925 (7 out of 21), and 50% of our GF appearances and premierships.

Maybe - just maybe - Bevo knows what he's doing?

I have no idea whether Bev needs support or not and if he does whether he's receiving it or not. I daresay none of us outside the Club administration do. Wilson's in a position to have more knowledge...

If this is the basis of your thought process then it's terribly flawed.

You have no idea if Bev needs support.
You also have absolutely no idea if Wilson has any [relevant] knowledge whatsoever.

She shot off on a poorly considered rant about a Coach who is very highly regarded by his peers (and for his EQ generally) but unlike others (who may or may not have a far higher EQ than herself), instead of winding back the emotion and apologising for going to far, she's doing all she can to make herself not look silly by perpetuating her own myth.

So, in essence you don't know anything about Bevo or inside the Club, but you believe Wilson simply because she is a "journalist" and therefore must know more than your average bear?

The logic is at one end of the scale, the irony at the extreme other.

Why the hell does the club need to respond to anything from this shitbag journalist, but more specifically this? If it's false it gives a nothing story more air, and even if it is true, the club can quietly review the situation and put things in place.

It doesn't need to respond, frankly shouldn't, administration should concentrate on administering rather than responding to allegations by journalists. On the other hand, if an allegation is unanswered then the supporters only hear one version. If the hostile responses in this thread are anything to go by, support for Beveridge is an issue for supporters so a statement from the Club might be helpful.

... but you believe Wilson simply because she is a "journalist" and therefore must know more than your average bear?
I have not said I believe her at all. She has better knowledge and gives reasons for her conclusion. Her opinion should not be dismissed in a shower of scorn and derision.

She shot off on a poorly considered rant about a Coach who is very highly regarded by his peers (and for his EQ generally) but unlike others (who may or may not have a far higher EQ than herself), instead of winding back the emotion and apologising for going to far, she's doing all she can to make herself not look silly by perpetuating her own myth.

Can't help thinking she's shocked by the ferocity of the backlash she's copped on social media - eg FB, where a huge % of responses to her articles are negative (to put it mildly).

She may have realised she just ain't the Gold Standard she thinks she is.

...and that has to be good for football, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Even everyone's favourite bete noire acknowledged his coaching prowess in the Footy Classified clip.
... which has nothing to do with the post I responded to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but it does have to do with yours, I don't think anyone doubts his coaching ability.
I was actually responding to a post that infers that very doubt. It's even on the same page, all you had to do was look up a bit.

I've not only not criticised you, S, but I have left the corroborating quotations unacknowledged, nothing personal to anyone. The fourth estate's role is to inform, question and enlighten. Wilson is a journalist. You don't have to agree with her but if you reject what she writes, you have to do more than merely insult her, not that I'm saying that you have or do.
Does Caroline Wilson have any facts or honest arguments, as you insist is necessary, when she claims Bevo is "not coping", "unravelling", questions if he is "equipped to coach" or "equipped to be looking after the futures of 30 young men"? Is her call for a six figure fine sincere? To me her comments fall very far of the standard expected for a journalist. Were her comments not clouded by the fact Bevo criticised a fellow journalist (and, apparently, a family friend)?

That she made some potentially reasonable points about Bevo putting up a bit of a wall around the club does not validate the rest of her ridiculous commentary on the matter since Thursday.

I have not said I believe her at all. She has better knowledge and gives reasons for her conclusion. Her opinion should not be dismissed in a shower of scorn and derision.

Her "conclusion" was that our coach was mentally unstable and eas having difficulty coping.

She then broadcasts this with rqual parts vigour and scorn...
...despite the wider community (and obviously Bev in particular) working hard to remove mental health stigma and acknowledging that publicly shaming those affected will inevitably have a negative impact.
The irony is clearly lost on you both.

If she really cared she'd have picked up the phone and asked of he was ok.
She didn't.
That should tell you at least one of two things.

I was actually responding to a post that infers that very doubt. It's even on the same page, all you had to do was look up a bit.

Does Caroline Wilson have any facts or honest arguments, as you insist is necessary, when she claims Bevo is "not coping", "unravelling", questions if he is "equipped to coach" or "equipped to be looking after the futures of 30 young men"? I...

She does, I counted 7 and she concludes that these "little signs" lead her to a conclusion that he needs help. She doesn't mention his mental health at all, indeed, she specifically says that she is not suggesting that he need psychiatric help. It's a long bow to draw to say that not coping and in need of help = mental health.

Her "conclusion" was that our coach was mentally unstable and eas having difficulty coping.

Her conclusion is that he needs help and says that she believes that his is not coping, not that he is mentally unstable. She not only does not mention mental health or instability, she specifically says that she is not saying that he needs psychiatric help. It's worth your while re watching the clip.

She does, I counted 7 and she concludes that these "little signs" lead her to a conclusion that he needs help. She doesn't mention his mental health at all, indeed, she specifically says that she is not suggesting that he need psychiatric help. It's a long bow to draw to say that not coping and in need of help = mental health.
Her tenious 'facts' to back up her claims took 4 days to come to light following her initial outburst.

How does Bevo resigning from the coaches association, holding a closed training session or growing a moustache indicate that he is not "equipped to be looking after the future of 30 young men"? Talk about a long bow to draw.

I've never been more tempted to fly to Melbourne, rent a car, drive to WO, storm the inner sanctum, bust down Bevo's door, and bear hug him Matt Damon / Robin Williams / Good Will Hunting stylez.

"It's not your fault"
"....."
"Look at me, Bevo, it's not your fault"
"I know"
"It's not your fault...."
"I know"
"No, no, you don't. It's not your fault"
"Don't * wth me, alright!!!"
"Bevo, it's not your fault"

Her conclusion is that he needs help and says that she believes that his is not coping, not that he is mentally unstable. She not only does not mention mental health or instability, she specifically says that she is not saying that he needs psychiatric help. It's worth your while re watching the clip.

Who even are you, even?

Her tenious 'facts' to back up her claims took 4 days to come to light following her initial outburst.

How does Bevo resigning from the coaches association, holding a closed training session or growing a moustache indicate that he is not "equipped to be looking after the future of 30 young men"? Talk about a long bow to draw.
Yours is the first post I've read that addresses her reasons for drawing the conclusions she draws. You might well be right that her reasons don't support her conclusion.

Worth keeping in mind that Caro is semi-retired and as given how she spends her time, you can't really call her a journalist or reporter anymore, just an opinion commentator or analyst. She wrote one article per week last year that was almost always tagged as "opinion" or "analysis" and typically regarded boardroom/coaching/power, has not written anything this year other than an article about female assistant coaches in the AFLW, and her media appearances are simply Offsiders, Footy Classified and The Age Podcast (with C9 owning both the latter two broadcast).

Back