• Hell yes! Bring back the Biff, Bevo.

• Yes, but he went a little too far

• No, but protecting players is key

• No, totally unacceptable but that is it, move on

• No, totally unacceptable and needs a sanction

• I barrack for another club and just want to see the results

• I am in the media and need my next news story

Results are only viewable after voting.
She does, I counted 7 and she concludes that these "little signs" lead her to a conclusion that he needs help. She doesn't mention his mental health at all, indeed, she specifically says that she is not suggesting that he need psychiatric help. It's a long bow to draw to say that not coping and in need of help = mental health.

So what is this? "a man unravelling", "a man who is clearly not coping", "who clearly can't deal with life at the moment." (thanks TiAn)

Lesson 957 from the "mental health in 2022" handbook: "when a person's mental health is suffering, they most often than not don't need to see a psychiatrist (not that there's anything wrong with that). There are psychologists, GPs and most importantly friends and family".

Are you telling me if Bevo is struggling as badly as Caro suggests that he doesn't have these supports in place to ask him if he's ok? If he has a psychiatric illness, you're telling me people haven't noticed and pulled him aside? He's too valuable an asset for the Club not to for starters. They have the club doc & psychologist who I would hope would check in with him. I would hope they would do this regularly anyway.

And the bottom line (as many have already stated) if she really cared she wouldn't go flouting it publicly. And she has has exacerbated his troubles and breached patient/doctor confidentiality if she has any hint something is going on behind closed doors.

Maybe you genuinely worried because he's channelling Che Guevarra and see it akin to the old meme when "crazy" people were assumed to look and behave like this:

D06jeaVWkAA-AI3.jpg

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Who even are you, even?

So what is this? "a man unravelling", "a man who is clearly not coping", "who clearly can't deal with life at the moment." (thanks TiAn)

Are you telling me if Bevo is struggling as badly as Caro suggests that he doesn't have these supports in place to ask him if he's ok? If he has a psychiatric illness, you're telling me people haven't noticed and pulled him aside? He's too valuable an asset for the Club not to for starters. They have the club doc & psychologist who I would hope would check in with him. I would hope they would do this regularly anyway.

Not at all. I'm making no comment about his mental health at all, how would I know ? I'm pointing out that Wilson didn't say that he was suffering from a mental illness.

Not at all. I'm making no comment about his mental health at all, how would I know ? I'm pointing out that Wilson didn't say that he was suffering from a mental illness.

What part of ""when a person's mental health is suffering, they most often than not don't need to see a psychiatrist" didn't you understand?

These are your words: "It's a long bow to draw to say that not coping and in need of help = mental health".

Your words are WRONG.

Not coping and in need of help IS mental health.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
What part of ""when a person's mental health is suffering, they most often than not don't need to see a psychiatrist" didn't you understand?

These are your words: "It's a long bow to draw to say that not coping and in need of help = mental health".

Your words are WRONG.

Not coping and in need of help IS mental health.
In the clip, Wilson uses the word cope twice. Hutchinson asks her "what does that mean ?". She responds that it means that he's lost heavy senior coaching support and goes on to talk about the 2 coaches who left. Loss of coaching support, not mental illness. The second time she said that he doesn't cope with the media and added that he doesn't understand the media. Lack of understanding of the media, not mental illness. She uses need for help once. She says that he needs help to be capable of doing the job. It's a clear reference to lack of coaching support, not mental illness. That's the long bow. She's specific about the problems being lack of coaching support and lack of understanding of the media. The mental health red herring comes from posters, not Wilson. It will help if you have another look at the clip.

Bevo sounded pretty chill in the press conference today. Thought he batted off the Tom Morris stuff pretty well.

Sam Edmund sounded pretty chipper too, probably still a bit chuffed at being singled out as one of the better journos in Bevo's post match presser last week.

"Loss of support" Bevo is talking about largely refers to the COVID cut of 1/3 of the footy department soft cap from $9 million to $6 million midway through 2020. Bevo mentioned it in the press conference and has been outspoken about it in the past. Obviously an element is turnover of assistant coaches, but Bevo is basically being asked to do the same job with only 2/3 the the resources. And whilst it's true for all coaches across the league, Bevo probably does more in the wider football department (like being involved in VFL teams, list management, strategic thinking) more than other AFL clubs, who have more powerful footy department or list manager types.

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In 6 seasons he's coached 33% of our finals wins since joining the VFL in 1925 (7 out of 21), and 50% of our GF appearances and premierships.

Maybe - just maybe - Bevo knows what he's doing?
But my question is could we do better? I don’t like to use our tragic finals record over the preceding 96 years as the benchmark of success and failure.

Bevo has a 1 in a generation list at his disposal, strong and stable board, good facilities and strong financial base. Not sure many coaches prior had so much luck.
With the talent on our list and all the other positives maybe we should benchmark him against Clarko which is best practice not Bulldogs history which is worst practice.

Malthouse, Wheeler, Wallace and Eade could only dream what Bevo has been gifted.

But my question is could we do better? I don’t like to use our tragic finals record over the preceding 96 years as the benchmark of success and failure.

Bevo has a 1 in a generation list at his disposal, strong and stable board, good facilities and strong financial base. Not sure many coaches prior had so much luck.
With the talent on our list and all the other positives maybe we should benchmark him against Clarko which is best practice not Bulldogs history which is worst practice.

Malthouse, Wheeler, Wallace and Eade could only dream what Bevo has been gifted.
Do we have the best list in the competition? To me, we have big question marks in the forward and defensive parts of the ground.
We've done well to cover for those deficiencies and I still think Bevo is the right coach for us.

Questioning whether he can still coach just because he publicly slagged off a gutter-snake is a fair stretch.

With the talent on our list and all the other positives maybe we should benchmark him against Clarke’s record?

We were 3rd last in the AFL for revenue in 2019. Obviously a pretty simplistic view, and we've come a long way since we had to get members or VFL clubs to donate a bit extra so we could get another player on the rookie list and Jason Akermanis laughed at the idea of any elite player coming to the Dogs before realising no other club wanted him, but we're still fundamentally at a structural disadvantage compared to other clubs, especially among those who are constitutionally independent from the AFL. Maintaining a long-term winning record is an achievement in that context.

In the clip, Wilson uses the word cope twice. Hutchinson asks her "what does that mean ?". She responds that it means that he's lost heavy senior coaching support and goes on to talk about the 2 coaches who left. Loss of coaching support, not mental illness. The second time she said that he doesn't cope with the media and added that he doesn't understand the media. Lack of understanding of the media, not mental illness. She uses need for help once. She says that he needs help to be capable of doing the job. It's a clear reference to lack of coaching support, not mental illness. That's the long bow. She's specific about the problems being lack of coaching support and lack of understanding of the media. The mental health red herring comes from posters, not Wilson. It will help if you have another look at the clip.

I think you're gaslighting us all - now I really think I'm crazy. :cool:

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Bevo sounded pretty chill in the press conference today. Thought he batted off the Tom Morris stuff pretty well.

Sam Edmund sounded pretty chipper too, probably still a bit chuffed at being singled out as one of the better journos in Bevo's post match presser last week.
I thought it was a very good press conference given it was the first public apperance since last Wednesday night. The journo's were pretty respectful and asked normal questions. There were a couple that tried to get a reaction out of Bevo but he played a very straight bat.

It seemed to be basically business as usual. Bevo gave some solid info to the reporters about certain players and answered questions well so hopefully all can move on from here.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Worth keeping in mind that Caro is semi-retired and as given how she spends her time, you can't really call her a journalist or reporter anymore, just an opinion commentator or analyst. She wrote one article per week last year that was almost always tagged as "opinion" or "analysis" and typically regarded boardroom/coaching/power, has not written anything this year other than an article about female assistant coaches in the AFLW, and her media appearances are simply Offsiders, Footy Classified and The Age Podcast (with C9 owning both the latter two broadcast).
And at least one Vic club (not us, but we well may have) has an internal edict not to converse with her in any format (and several other media are persona non grata at the same club).

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was listening to Sam Harris’s most recent podcast today. He describes today’s society as suffering from “an epidemic of contrarians”, particularly when referring to anti-vaccine supporters who suddenly speak with authority without little or no science to back up there arguments.

A contrarian purely for the sake of being a contrarian or being identified as a ‘contrarian’. Boy - really makes threads like these about 40% longer than what they would have been in simpler times.

I still think this was simply Bevo trying to make it an us against them mentality with his players (at the same time sticking up for his players) because he thinks that's what they respond well to. Remember last year when he had a go at the SA government for not letting us train at Adelaide, I think he enjoyed relaying that to the players as us against them this finals series. We have had to travel all over the state etc etc.

Also how about this line from Barrett "Tom Morris is the collateral out of all of this. And it’s not the first time someone outside his operations have become not just the collateral but the focus of his scary anger". How f**king rich coming from you Damo, Tom Boyd was collateral out of all your reporting on him and constant attack. What a scumbag hypocrite.

Also how about this line from Barrett "Tom Morris is the collateral out of all of this. And it’s not the first time someone outside his operations have become not just the collateral but the focus of his scary anger". How f**king rich coming from you Damo, Tom Boyd was collateral out of all your reporting on him and constant attack. What a scumbag hypocrite.
The collateral in all of this is actually Megan Barnard. Not surprising Barrett wouldn't get that.

I was listening to Sam Harris’s most recent podcast today. He describes today’s society as suffering from “an epidemic of contrarians”, particularly when referring to anti-vaccine supporters who suddenly speak with authority without little or no science to back up there arguments.

A contrarian purely for the sake of being a contrarian or being identified as a ‘contrarian’. Boy - really makes threads like these about 40% longer than what they would have been in simpler times.

Also known as Kane Cornes

Back