Fishing Berleying - Snapper/Whiting/Garfish

Remove this Banner Ad

A mixture of crushed up crab shells/offal, tuna oil and soaked chook pellets all mixed in, then freeze in blocks. Put them in your burley bucket or a hessian sack and lower to the bottom at the back of your boat. Makes for a great slow release burley the snapper and whiting love. If for garfish, position your burley on the surface, to get a nice slick going, great for Gardys and Tommys.

Excellent. Thanks Colonel. Do you use the pellett/fish oil/crab mix for Gar and Tommies as well. If you do, how do you stop it from sinking?

I have thought about using mince meat/Semolina as berley and bait for gar and tommies. I have used this mix for bait to catch Mullett when fishing off the beach and have also caught a few gar/toms, and thats without any berley. What do you think?

Excellent. Thanks Colonel. Do you use the pellett/fish oil/crab mix for Gar and Tommies as well. If you do, how do you stop it from sinking?

I have thought about using mince meat/Semolina as berley and bait for gar and tommies. I have used this mix for bait to catch Mullett when fishing off the beach and have also caught a few gar/toms, and thats without any berley. What do you think?

When you put the frozen block in a burley bucket, and tie it to the back of the boat, tie it so it sits on the surface, half in half out of the water. The oil creates a slick on top of the water, which attracts Gar. The other bits that defrost and break off, gently wash back with the tide along the surface and mid water where Gar feed. The same happens when you lower it to the bottom for snapper and whiting, it slowly washes downtide on the bottom.

As for your mix of semolina/mince meat, that would be good, but not as attractive as a burley. You don't have that natural fishy scent.

Did you know using any meat or poultry now for bait or burley in the sea is illegal. That includes mince meat.

When you put the frozen block in a burley bucket, and tie it to the back of the boat, tie it so it sits on the surface, half in half out of the water. The oil creates a slick on top of the water, which attracts Gar. The other bits that defrost and break off, gently wash back with the tide along the surface and mid water where Gar feed. The same happens when you lower it to the bottom for snapper and whiting, it slowly washes downtide on the bottom.

As for your mix of semolina/mince meat, that would be good, but not as attractive as a burley. You don't have that natural fishy scent.

Did you know using any meat or poultry now for bait or burley in the sea is illegal. That includes mince meat.

Wow. Didn't know that, wouldn't offal also be illegal then. Thanks Colonel.

Thanks again Colonel.

As I haven't caught any crabs yet (fingers crossed for Dec), i've settled for a mixture of chook pelletts, crushed cockles (crab substitute for now) and tuna oil. I've also put abit of Semolina in to bind it together. Before I lower the pot, I will also throw a couple of fresh pillies in to add that bit extra.

I've been doing some searching and your mix seems to be one of the more popular.

came across an interesting little tip. Apparently, you shouldn't leave the pot on the sea bed as the current on the bed usely isn't that strong. Lower it until you hit the bottom and then bring it up 1-2 metres so the pot dangles in the current.

Anyway mate, happy hunting.:thumbsu:

Thanks again Colonel.

came across an interesting little tip. Apparently, you shouldn't leave the pot on the sea bed as the current on the bed usely isn't that strong. Lower it until you hit the bottom and then bring it up 1-2 metres so the pot dangles in the current.

:

Great tip, cheers :thumbsu:

Let us know how your burley gets on.....sounds good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back