List Mgmt. Best 22 - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Rocket saw behavioural and cultural problems both on and off field with Stevie J

Id say that's why but I can't see how he could have been a bad influence. He's one of Gaz's best mates and the great man endorsed him coming up. Such a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to me that we're having issues finding a small crumbing forward who can snag goals from the forward 50. We've got a few players still developing, but none who we can definitively say are ready in 2016.

So why the **** weren't we interested in Stevie Johnson?

Even if Ah Chee is more of a marking small, I hope he becomes the crumber we need.

The thing is, I don't think Stevie J is going to sustain this form for the whole season. I could see him getting dropped to the NEAFL a bit if he came to us.

I think the thing that went against Stevie J joining us was that given the "cultural issues" surrounding the club we could not be seen to be picking up anyone remotely connected to a party boy image and Unfortunately even though it was some time ago, Stevie had history with getting on the booze and getting into trouble with the law. Plus we don't have the extra millions in salary cap allowance that GWS have.

On Sam Day being in the best 22, I have him there purely for insurance purposes, not on form. If we go with one ruckman and Tommy goes down in the first quarter we are ****ed. If we have to throw 2MP into the ruck that will leave Lynch to be double and triple teamed and also risk hurting 2MP as I don't think he's ready for the Mumford's and Sandilands yet. Also if Maysie or Thommo get injured down back at least Sammy can fill a gap down there. He probably will never be the other gun forward we have been after but his versatility has its positives. All depends on the conditions and opponents on the Day.

I think the thing that went against Stevie J joining us was that given the "cultural issues" surrounding the club we could not be seen to be picking up anyone remotely connected to a party boy image and Unfortunately even though it was some time ago, Stevie had history with getting on the booze and getting into trouble with the law. Plus we don't have the extra millions in salary cap allowance that GWS have.

On Sam Day being in the best 22, I have him there purely for insurance purposes, not on form. If we go with one ruckman and Tommy goes down in the first quarter we are stuffed. If we have to throw 2MP into the ruck that will leave Lynch to be double and triple teamed and also risk hurting 2MP as I don't think he's ready for the Mumford's and Sandilands yet. Also if Maysie or Thommo get injured down back at least Sammy can fill a gap down there. He probably will never be the other gun forward we have been after but his versatility has its positives. All depends on the conditions and opponents on the Day.
Agree! Day has to be the big utility.. we dont really have a third tall back or third tall fwd or second ruck.. that can fill a key big spot if any of the key bigs get an injury.. Say what u like about Day but he is a terrific utility, can plug a number of spots and in our current best 22 is absolutely essential off the bench.. on a side note.. Spook Russell should only get a spot if we get a similar injury toll to last year.. just not up to it... Stanley on the other hand is definitely up to it but he looks to be on the outer... give Ah chee and Mcpherson and Davis all a run before Spook!!

I really just want to see Day dumped to the NEAFL. Love the big fella but he needs a month there to become a confident player.

The thing that makes doing a 22 so hard for me is putting Miller a forward. In my weird mind if he's listed there he plays there (played too much AFL live). Obviously they rotate through the midfield but man... Touk is actually too good to be pigeon holed as a forward.

25 touches, 6 clearances, 7 tackles and a goal at 84% DE. Those numbers are elite.

The thing that makes doing a 22 so hard for me is putting Miller a forward. In my weird mind if he's listed there he plays there (played too much AFL live). Obviously they rotate through the midfield but man... Touk is actually too good to be pigeon holed as a forward.

25 touches, 6 clearances, 7 tackles and a goal at 84% DE. Those numbers are elite.

Team sheets will mean bugger all when it comes to the midfield this season. Like you said many of our mids will rotate fwd instead of the bench this season.

Ablett, Hall & Miller will definitely rest fwd in preference to the bench.

Mids with lesser tanks like Hallahan & Lonergan with rest more on the bench.

Name them where you like really, they are all rotating through the middle. Just some of them are also very valuable crumbling fwds when having a breather and help keep our interchanges to 90.

Last edited:

I look at the other way and write up my teams with best 18 on the field, especially if a mid can play fwd and rest there and switch with others (e.g. Ablett, Miller, Hall). I find it a bit misleading to put a Matera, Ah Chee or Hallahan on the ground and see Miller on the bench when he is obviously best 18.

Like Corkie said it doesn't mean s**t just a personal preference of how you like to write it up.

Team sheets will mean bugger all when it comes to the midfield this season. Like you said many of our mids will rotate fwd instead of the bench this season.

Ablett, Hall & Miller will definitely rest fwd in preference to the bench.

Mids with lesser tanks like Hallahan & Lonergan with rest more on the bench.

Name them where you like really, they are all rotating through the middle. Just some of them are also very valuable crumbling fwds when having a breather and help keep our interchanges to 90.

Yeah absolutely. Understand all that, just an odd nuance in my mind. I put the interchange as guys who will rotate though multiple positions.

Naming your best "22" is an interesting concept as there are so many variables at play.

Firstly there are always injuries (e.g Swallow and O'Meara) which poses the question are the injured payers in your best team at that particular moment in time.

Secondly picking your best team to match the opposition team can often mean a best "22" changes weekly.

Just a thought!

I can understand the frustration for sure, but we don't have a goal sneak who plays in the forward pocket to complement Martin. He won't be mixing it up with the big powerful lads in the midfield. Look what happened when we played Touk first year out of the draft, just because he is a first year doesn't mean he can't contribute to the team.

As much as I love Spooky, he just seems to be floundering and not doing much and his disposal is up there with the other average ones of the club and I do think Stanley is good, but where has he been? Seen nothing of him over pre-season. Matera has proven himself valuable playing up field and as seen over the countless years doesn't have a sense for goal roving the pack.

Now when we get the likes of Swallow and O'Meara back we won't be needing Gazza in the midfield as much and we can push him forward so then then Ah Chee might be due for a run in the 2's

Ah Chee has great disposal (from what I have seen), has a sense for a goal and is quick. All the attributes a small forward needs. If Martin and Ah Chee show that work ethic up forward then we will see a turn around.

Again this team is my OPINION so I reserve the right to change my mind, but at the moment, from the exposed form I think he will fit well surrounded by the bigger bodies and more experience in the line up.
Hey sorry to cross enemy lines but having played against Ah Chee and with Jarrod Garlett I truly believe that garlett has the better disposal when confident and possibly the best I've ever seen I can remember when he fractured my mates thumb with a spear kick 40m out.

Sent from my HTC_0PFJ50 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though Jarrad Grant was recruited to the club to be used as a mid-sized forward, I've always felt he was much better when he was playing off a wing. It just seems to play more to his strengths. He could provide some much-needed run-and-carry and keep shits like Shaw out of the 22. I kind of hope Ryan Davis can nail down that mid-sized forward spot so Grant is forced to play more on the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back