Best 22 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

We often play 7 backs (6 start; 1 bench) and with the Whitfield suspension you'll have Buntine and A Kennedy going for that spot to start with. Zac Williams is likely to rotate more in the midfield too. That said, De Boer might use the opportunity to put his claim forward as well.

If Johnson's injury takes him out for longer than expected, there's another spot up for grabs. Matt Kennedy has been playing more forward than mid so he might take the bench spot, with Smith going into the starting line-up but Harry Himmelberg might be a swing man and come in instead.

Tommo seems to have found a niche and I think it's his spot to lose.
Hi,

Didn't Williams play wing/midfield as a half-back? Or was he exclusively a half-back last year?

Also, are you saying he will almost certainly play additional midfield time compared to last year?

Thanks alot

Hi,

Didn't Williams play wing/midfield as a half-back? Or was he exclusively a half-back last year?

Also, are you saying he will almost certainly play additional midfield time compared to last year?

Thanks alot

Only pushed up into the midfield when we were injury depleted. Did exceptionally well when in there and so may see more time there this year. But basically he's a half back who can cover. And we have a fair bit of midfield depth.

It depends on team structure as to who goes down and who needs to be guarded. A midfielder goes down they can bring in another and leave Williams down back, or they can move Williams up and bring in a Kennedy or Buntine like back - it would depend I think on who we are playing and how they structure.

FB: Haynes Corr Davis
HB: Shaw Tomlinson Wilson
C: Scully Coniglio Kelly
HF: Deledio Cameron Smith
FF: Johnson Patton Greene
ON: Mumford Shiel Ward
INT: Lobb Williams Hopper Griffen

Thoughts? I'm sure I missed some freak talent!

FB: Haynes Corr Davis
HB: Shaw Tomlinson Wilson
C: Scully Coniglio Kelly
HF: Deledio Cameron Smith
FF: Johnson Patton Greene
ON: Mumford Shiel Ward
INT: Lobb Williams Hopper Griffen

Thoughts? I'm sure I missed some freak talent!
Great attempt but I personally can't see us playing 4 talls in the backline. To me it's one of corr or Tomlinson at CHB with Davis at FB

Maybe Bunts who is more flexible?

Kennedy (A) played the first ten last year before copping an injury in the Adelaide game then five in a row at the end before being KO'd pretty badly in the West Coast game. Underrated in my opinion. Just goes about doing his job. And if not for injuries would have been pretty solid in the best 22 all year. Rested for the first JLT along with pretty much all the other senior players.

Would have to be at least equal with Bunts for consideration.

Kennedy (A) played the first ten last year before copping an injury in the Adelaide game then five in a row at the end before being KO'd pretty badly in the West Coast game. Underrated in my opinion. Just goes about doing his job. And if not for injuries would have been pretty solid in the best 22 all year. Rested for the first JLT along with pretty much all the other senior players.

Would have to be at least equal with Bunts for consideration.
Fair enough
Honestly I dont know. I like Bunts and agree with Conliglio no 1 that 4 talls looks a bit much. Gotta like the way Kennedy plays.

Fair enough
Honestly I dont know. I like Bunts and agree with Conliglio no 1 that 4 talls looks a bit much. Gotta like the way Kennedy plays.

I agree 4 talks is a bit much.

Davis, Haynes and Tomlinson/Corr along with Shaw, Williams and then Wilson, Kennedy, Buntine fight for the last couple(or possibly one if we were to use Deledio down back) of spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thought would be that if Corr & Tommo both played (Davis & Haynes are givens for mine), then one is taking Patfull's former role. That's possible, particularly with Tommo's athleticism, but probably less likely than other options. I can't see Leon playing that 4-tall combination just to release Davis to intercept more.

My thought would be that if Corr & Tommo both played (Davis & Haynes are givens for mine), then one is taking Patfull's former role. That's possible, particularly with Tommo's athleticism, but probably less likely than other options. I can't see Leon playing that 4-tall combination just to release Davis to intercept more.
4 talls with one on the bench for rotations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 talls with one on the bench for rotations
I would not have said that Leon has played that way particularly in the past. Patfull has usually been that 'fourth KPD' - and at times when Marchbank, Corr & Davis were injured even the third KPD. So, yes, they could go with that rotation & I'd describe that as Tommo effectively taking over from Patfull (has a little extra height and more athleticism with youth compared to Patfull). I just see other options as more likely from how we've seen Leon's selections in the past - Bunts as that undersized 'fourth KPD' or even Griffen, which allows variety to run through midfield. Of course, Leon has to keep adjusting his game plan and style to match the other teams changing their own style and counteracting the Giants' style from previous years, so I'd not be surprised if Leon tweaked the team balance at all.

Triple Ms best 22

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/greater-western-sydney-giants-best-22-for-afl-season-2017/

B: Heath Shaw, Adam Tomlinson, Nick Haynes

HB: Zac Williams, Phil Davis, Nathan Wilson

C: Brett Deledio, Callan Ward, Tom Scully

HF: Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith

F: Rory Lobb, Jonathon Patton, Steve Johnson

R: Shane Mumford, Dylan Shiel, Stephen Coniglio

I: Josh Kelly, Ryan Griffen, Lachie Whitfield, Jacob Hopper

Emerg: Tim Mohr, Adam Kennedy, Matt Buntine

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The whole emergency list is odd - they've gone for 3 backs. While they might be their perception of the best balanced emergency bench, it's certainly not mine.

In the MMM team, while you can cut positional placements a number of different ways - and it is largely irrelevant - I'd certainly quibble at putting Deledio on a wing. For mine, he takes a forward slot and one of the forwards moves onto the bench, with Josh Kelly taking the wing. There's still two pre-season games left to see, and Lachie Whitfield of course is handicapped by being absent, but I'd probably think that Josh has passed Lachie on the pecking order just at the moment.

Other than that until we see the remaining pre-season games, I'd probably go the same team list - which leaves one spot likely to be open to replace Lachie. I see that as possibly a back (Adam Kennedy or Bunts more likely for mine) or another mid (Matt Kennedy or a chance to blood one of the new young mids in Taranto or Setterfield). We'll see soon enough.

Williams Davis Haynes
Shaw Tomlinson Wilson
Kelly Ward Scully
Greene Cameron Johnson
Lobb Patton Smith
Mummy Cogs Shiel
Corr Taranto Griffen Kennedy

I'm assuming Hopper isn't fit... anyone heard anything?

Revised Rd 1 team

Williams Davis Haynes
Shaw Tomlinson Wilson
Kelly Ward Scully
Greene Cameron Johnson
Lobb Patton Smith
Mummy Cogs Shiel
Corr Taranto Griffen Kennedy

I'm assuming Hopper isn't fit... anyone heard anything?

Revised Rd 1 team
Think it's pretty close and I assume you mean Matt?
I could certainly be wrong but I think it's likely Taranto will start in the NEAFL, being so new to the system.Does look like a ready made AFL player I get.

What we don't know yet is exactly how big is the hole Joel Patfull left. In terms of reliability, dependability, consistency, he was just there and you din't have to worry too much about the zone around him.
I like the idea someone put up of playing 3 rotating KPF's per game besides Haynes. So one of Corr Davis or Tommo named on the interchange, all 3 in 22, Tommo to swing elsewhere for other variables. Patton only to swing back where he needs to pick up touches to get into the play.

Patfull was a set and forget player. You are correct that it remains to be seen how the team adapts without his poise but I would like to think that the improvement of our core players will compensate his loss

Patfull was a set and forget player. You are correct that it remains to be seen how the team adapts without his poise but I would like to think that the improvement of our core players will compensate his loss
Gotta wonder if he finished in the ones becuase of Corr and Marchbank's injuries last year. He was a warrior though and he gets his redundancy payout this year so all's good as I see it.

Gotta wonder if he finished in the ones becuase of Corr and Marchbank's injuries last year. He was a warrior though and he gets his redundancy payout this year so all's good as I see it.
Also love that the club moved his contract to the rookie list to give us even more spare space in the cap. Tigers are paying a large portion of Deledios deal, Phil scully is no longer in our cap with the new contract for tom, Scully is on reduced wage and we moved out a bunch of blokes on average to decent coin for a bunch of minimum wage draftees and

Also love that the club moved his contract to the rookie list to give us even more spare space in the cap. Tigers are paying a large portion of Deledios deal, Phil scully is no longer in our cap with the new contract for tom, Scully is on reduced wage and we moved out a bunch of blokes on average to decent coin for a bunch of minimum wage draftees and
Didn't know his dad was removed. Cool.

Is Phil off the books? I know when Tom signed his new one we asked for the the situation to be reassessed, because a) it was stupid in the first place and b)made even less sense five years later - but that was the last I heard. Is there an official announcement somewhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back