Prediction Best 22 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Will we still have the goods when Naitanui returns?

What do we need to add in the meantime?

This is not to write off 2016-2017 but rather to offer a longer-term assessment of which holes need plugging in the next two off-seasons.

This is an ultra-conservative projection as a starting point, assuming very little change. I've included ages at the start of 2018.

B: Wellingham (29), Barrass (22), Schofield (28)
HB: Hurn (30), McGovern (25), Sheppard (26)
C: Gaff (25), Priddis (32), Yeo (24)
HF: Cripps (25), Darling (25), Jetta (28)
F: LeCras (31-32), Kennedy (30), Hill (28)
R: Naitanui (27), Shuey (27), Sheed (22)
Int: Masten (28), Lycett (25), Hutchings (26), Redden (27)

Waiting in the wings: Nelson (21), Duggan (21), Cole (20), Partington (20)

I guess it invites a few questions: Can Mackenzie recover? Can LeCras get back to his previous level? How do we improve that midfield rotation? Do we need to introduce an extra tall forward, or at least a tall utility? I guess Jake Waterman will be in the mix. Which of the younger players is most likely to push up and cement a spot? I've retired Butler but kept Priddis and LeCras – is that right? On a side note, who should be captain?

This is not to write off 2016-2017 but rather to offer a longer-term assessment of which holes need plugging in the next two off-seasons.

This is an ultra-conservative projection as a starting point, assuming very little change. I've included ages at the start of 2018.

I guess it invites a few questions: Can Mackenzie recover? Can LeCras get back to his previous level? How do we improve that midfield rotation? Do we need to introduce an extra tall forward, or at least a tall utility? Which of the younger players is most likely to push up and cement a spot? I've retired Butler but kept Priddis and LeCras – is that right? On a side note, who should be captain?
Not bad mate, I reckon Lecras has one season left. Priddis seems to have no durability issues so he may make it to 2018. Maybe we need to draft the next Lecras, or possible Karpany fills his position depending on how he comes on.

• Banned
Not bad mate
I didn't really change anything.

I reckon Lecras has one season left. Priddis seems to have no durability issues so he may make it to 2018. Maybe we need to draft the next Lecras, or possible Karpany fills his position depending on how he comes on.
If LeCras goes back to playing as a permanent forward and can still be good for 40 goals, he's still worth a spot, no?

Admittedly, he's been pretty bad in 2016. Probably the worst-performed in terms of the gap between expectation and output.

I'm not too fussed about that spot, though. We have reasonable coverage there.

Tom+Barrass+szpmFwgYrgbm.jpg

With 21 witches hats.

I didn't really change anything.
Don't be so hard on yourself.

The inclusion of Redden was pure genius and not many would have seen it coming :)

I guess it invites a few questions: Can Mackenzie recover? Can LeCras get back to his previous level? How do we improve that midfield rotation? Do we need to introduce an extra tall forward, or at least a tall utility? I guess Jake Waterman will be in the mix. Which of the younger players is most likely to push up and cement a spot? I've retired Butler but kept Priddis and LeCras – is that right? On a side note, who should be captain?
Surely by 2018 you'd hope Duggan, Nelson and or Partington would have overtaken Hutch and maybe Masten

Lecras will be gone by 2018. Nearly every small forward now pushes into the middle. What made us so great last year was that all three smalls pushed down the ground.

i say duggan would cement a spot on the wing. Yeo might replace butler in defence.

It's unfortunate that his inclusion is in fact a gamble at this stage.
I think the biggest question marks from your 2018 B22 are over:
  • Redden (may be squeezed out by new talent)
  • Hutchings (ditto)
  • Hill (may be replaced by another midfield option)
  • Yeo (might not make it as a mid)
  • Le Cras (age)
  • Schofield (KPD balance/Mackenzie recovery)
Hurn will stay captain until he retires IMO

Duggan will bounce back next year if he has a big pre-season and I fully expect him to be B22 next year.

Surely by 2018 you'd hope Duggan, Nelson and or Partington would have overtaken Hutch and maybe Masten
You'd hope we have some ready-to-go upgrades but it's also only one full season away. Hutchings and Masten will still be young enough if they're good enough. So it's an open question, I reckon.

It's why I'd like to see us add further to the midfield rotation via trade and/or free agency.

I certainly hope so. We shouldn't need to make any drastic changes to our structure in that time

Short term I think we need to look at the ruckman/fwd role.

Can Mackenzie recover?
He will be better than this year, but I don't know if there will be a spot for him. He will be fighting for a spot with Schofield/Depth

Can LeCras get back to his previous level?
No he's cooked. Hope he plays on next year but is prepared to play some WAFL

Do we need to introduce an extra tall forward, or at least a tall utility?
Yes, McInnes isn't going to take over from JJK, so we need to start blooding a replacement

I've retired Butler but kept Priddis and LeCras – is that right?
Butler and LeCras to retire next season, Priddis to go on one year after that (could be playing a bit of WAFL that year)

Who should be captain?
Hurn to keep it until we have a clear replacement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Wellingham - Mackenzie - Barrass
HB: Cole - McGovern - Sheppard
C: Duggan - Sheed - Gaff
HF: SPP - Kennedy - Yeo
FF: Cripps - Darling - Hill

R: Naitanui - Priddis - Shuey
I/C: Lycett - Redden - Nelson - Hurn

E: Partington - Hutchings - J Waterman

• Mackenzie to return and overcome Schofield.
  • Cole will establish himself in the 22 as early as next year. I'm actually pretty excited about him as a prospect and think we have a steal.
  • Duggan is more of a project but by 2018 will be able to contribute regularly from the wing.
  • I quite like the look of Sam Powell-Pepper and think his attributes would allow him to be able to play AFL relatively early.
  • Partington to be in and out of the side in a Hutchings-like depth role.
  • Redden to have hopefully overcome his mental issues by then but if not, you could swap him out for Hutch/Masten/Partington.
  • Hill has had a good year but I could see Karpany pinching his spot if he drops off at all.
  • Shuey my preference to be captain as Hurn becomes a regular bench starter when Cole comes on.

Redden doesnt have mental issues yet. His body isnt right and hasnt been right for a few years now. That forward line has question marks imo. We need a genuine crumber and neither spp or yeo will provide the same scoring power as lecras so we need a bit more for em.

Redden doesnt have mental issues yet. His body isnt right and hasnt been right for a few years now. That forward line has question marks imo. We need a genuine crumber and neither spp or yeo will provide the same scoring power as lecras so we need a bit more for em.

We play without a genuine crumber now.

But you might be right that I'm a forward short. Perhaps Karpany or Waterman for Redden.

I think that's about spot on. I'd like to see Duggan for Hill or Lecca. Maybe after we win the flag this year Lecca will retire.

LOL at how young our current team is

Nice job, well done. I tend to concur that Duggan, Nelson (and possibly Cole) should be pushing for regular selection by then. The List does have a great stable feel about it at the moment and a sh'thot age demographic with the kids waiting in the wings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back