Opinion Best 22 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a chance

I don't see how Rayner doesn't play as many games as he can this season. Essendon were much stronger than Brisbane and they fit McGrath straight into their team. Plus if you are being honest the Lions need to give the fans some 'star' factor so they can see improvement.

Barrett is in trouble to hold his spot consistently.
Rayner's endurance is deplorable. How is he going to run out games or even chase down players and keep the presuure and the ball locked into the f50?

IF raynor can beat Barrett for the position than that’s great. But he would have to be able to run a shitload better than he can currently and I can’t see Barrett giving up his spot in the team. Competition for spots is great but I can’t see raynor being a shoe in because he went no 1. Andrew Mcgrath is a running machine, so it’s not the same.

If Rayner can be left to play as a deep forward, he should be right for round 1. I think we’d like to have his talent in the side as early as possible, even if he’s a bit of a liability defensively.

Especially when he averages 3 goals a game in his debut season.

I will have a go at the round 1 team.

Gardiner mcstay Witherden
Mayes andrews Hodge
Cameron Beams Robinson
Bundy Walker Rich
Taylor Hipwood Barrett
Martin Mathieson Zorko

McCluggage Berry Robertson Bastinac

No room for the newbies. They can earn their spot playing in the twos.
Rayner will play round 1 if fit IMO

Rayner's endurance is deplorable. How is he going to run out games or even chase down players and keep the presuure and the ball locked into the f50?
Rayner ran out games this year playing hurt, his time trials are just that. Time trials. I'd say he is smart, knows when to conserve energy and knows when to burn it. He's the real deal, he'll be right!

Rayner ran out games this year playing hurt, his time trials are just that. Time trials. I'd say he is smart, knows when to conserve energy and knows when to burn it. He's the real deal, he'll be right!

White line fever goes a long way in footy.

Last edited:
Rayner will play round 1 as a forward if he earns his spot based off his own KPIs. Lets face it, if he ticks them off there is no chance in hell Barrett will keep him out (assuming they fight for the same spot)
I think Rayner is more against Lester, Barrett is there as a lock in small and does a lot of 1%ers. Don't see that as Rayner.

Rayner had knee issues and still not fully over them day of time trial, he had exams day before, went for his licence and further study all in the day of and days before, give him a break and we will see just how good he is, comments made being last years kids drafted in system he played against he has full confidence against them as beat them all one on one. He has the swagger and confidence and breeding to be the player we have hoped for.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Rayner can be left to play as a deep forward, he should be right for round 1. I think we’d like to have his talent in the side as early as possible, even if he’s a bit of a liability defensively.

I was feeling a bit worried that he'd really struggle defensively at AFL first up but looking at the names most have in the forward line in the this thread made me feel a lot more at ease. Cameron, Robinson, Christensen, Hippy all very capable of applying a lot of defensive pressure. It's not like he won't have to still work hard but I think being part of that unit and playing deeper you would think we'd be able to cover his current endurance deficiencies reasonably well, whilst taking full advantage of his finishing ability around goal. I hope he's there round 1.

Rockliff was never a good athlete and struggled with time trials, but on game day he was always the one working the hardest deep in red time. I think Rayner is similar in that regard. He is not an endurance machine but he still finds a way to step up and make an impact in short bursts. Time trials are not always a good indicator of game day endurance.

Lester is also there to go behind the ball when required. Can't see Rayner doing that effectively.
But Lester is there to hit the scoreboard too where Barrett's kpis I think are different. Rayner will be there to hit the scoreboard as that medium fwd.

I'm also more than happy to have Rayner in the Neafl to earn his stripes

Rockliff was never a good athlete and struggled with time trials, but on game day he was always the one working the hardest deep in red time. I think Rayner is similar in that regard. He is not an endurance machine but he still finds a way to step up and make an impact in short bursts. Time trials are not always a good indicator of game day endurance.

True, but Rocky still only played 1 game in his first season. I remember him getting a personal trainer and working seriously hard on his running in the off-season of 2009 to get to were he needed to be. You're right that Rayner seems to use what endurance he has intelligently and impact games at the right time, he certainly never seemed to struggle in juniors and it was only in testing situations his endurance issues became apparent, but his AFL is a very different beast and there is a big jump in what is expected from each player on the field.

You can’t honestly expect a first year medium forward to hold his own playing deep? Nobody does pagans paddock anymore. He will be zoning on the half back, sprinting forward, expected to hold the ball in our forward line through defensive pressure and repeating for 10 mins a quarter.

On top of that he will be playing on someone like dylan roberton, leigh Montagna or Sam Gilbert who would quite literally run rings around him.

If he rolls through the preseason and shows he does have the capacity to run out whole games then that’s awesome but if he does need some time to develop the tank well that’s okay too. In my mind it’s Barrett’s position until someone takes it.

But Lester is there to hit the scoreboard too where Barrett's kpis I think are different. Rayner will be there to hit the scoreboard as that medium fwd.

I'm also more than happy to have Rayner in the Neafl to earn his stripes

I honestly think even defensively Barrett was poor. As mentioned above Robinson will be back and probably play as a defensive/marking forward as he did at the start of this season.

I'm surprised by all the teams with Gardiner in the team. Don't get me wrong I like what he brings to the side with his agression but I struggle seeing him playing games when Hodge is in the side. Different players sure, but I'm not sure you play all of Hodge, Gardiner, McStay and Andrews in the same backline. Ideally if Cutler can adjust his game to be a bit more accountable defensively and not have those brain fade moments he's massively prone to then he's probably a better fit than Gardiner. Will be interesting to see the dynamic between him and Hodge this off season. From watching Cutler over the years at trainings here and there he appears to back himself and his choices on the field a bit too much, even when told otherwise. Hodge will have plenty to say to him and it will be interesting to see how Cutler takes that feedback on board.

I'm surprised by all the teams with Gardiner in the team. Don't get me wrong I like what he brings to the side with his agression but I struggle seeing him playing games when Hodge is in the side. Different players sure, but I'm not sure you play all of Hodge, Gardiner, McStay and Andrews in the same backline. Ideally if Cutler can adjust his game to be a bit more accountable defensively and not have those brain fade moments he's massively prone to then he's probably a better fit than Gardiner. Will be interesting to see the dynamic between him and Hodge this off season. From watching Cutler over the years at trainings here and there he appears to back himself and his choices on the field a bit too much, even when told otherwise. Hodge will have plenty to say to him and it will be interesting to see how Cutler takes that feedback on board.

Does Hodge have an opponent? I'm assuming we play a roaming defence with 7 defenders. 1 of which can push up to the contest when required.

Also, Gardiner played on the most dangerous small forward quite often last season while Cutler played more on the wing. I'd expect this to continue.

If Hodge replaces anyone surely it would be Rich. Play Rich up the field. Robertson is probably more of a worry given he lost his spot in defence late last season and finished the season very poorly.

Does Hodge have an opponent? I'm assuming we play a roaming defence with 7 defenders. 1 of which can push up to the contest when required.

Also, Gardiner played on the most dangerous small forward quite often last season while Cutler played more on the wing. I'd expect this to continue.

If Hodge replaces anyone surely it would be Rich. Play Rich up the field. Robertson is probably more of a worry given he lost his spot in defence late last season and finished the season very poorly.

No but I see is going a step further towards a more zone based defense with him there. Sure there's scope for someone to play tight but I'm not sure Gardiner will offer quite enough offensively. I acknowledge he may get in purely on the covering a small forward as we lack options there. We could see us go with someone a bit smaller in that role too. Robertson could be an option, he seems better when he has an opponent and can run with pace for a decent amount of time. I do wonder where we see Christensen playing next year, he could roll on and off on occasions.

Personally I see our defense evolving further next year with less specific lock down roles and more situational based rolling structures. Gardiner does have some decent flexibility in his matchup capabilities so can suit that structure which works in his favour. Still I was a bit surprised to see him in most every side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back