My final crack at it before round 1:

B: Gardiner Andrews Hodge
HB: Mayes McStay Witherden
C: Allison Beams Rich
HF: Taylor Walker Robinson
F: Christensen Hipwood Cameron
R: Martin Zorko Berry
Bench: Mccluggage Bell Rayner Lester

Robertson unlucky, couldn't squeeze him in anywhere. I'd personally prefer Robertson over Lester but I think they will go with Lester.

Allison starts on the wing. I think the coaches are really keen on him due to his pace and long kicking. Could become an Isaac Smith type line breaker.

Yet had the second most clearances in the JLT match along with a heap of contested possessions and a higher than team ave DE? They are certainly open to giving him a shot in the cuts and week one was a personal success in many ways for Tom. I know the club were impressed with his inside work. Next week will be the big test.
For years I've scratched my head at Bell not being used as an inside mid for you, hope this year he gets to play that role.

For years I've scratched my head at Bell not being used as an inside mid for you, hope this year he gets to play that role.

He’s never been an inside mid and while he was adequate in the practice matches he still needs to prove himself.

He’s never been an inside mid and while he was adequate in the practice matches he still needs to prove himself.
He was a bit more than adequate but I agree that consistency is the key. Look forward not back. We want him to continue the good work, not talk about how he fell short previously. Glass half full

View attachment 468834

**** it - avatar change!!
This one might help you to get all of his head in the av:

IMG_0894.JPG

You can also usually scroll the pic down as you're setting it up as your av, to get the parts of the pic you want to show inside the box, before saving it.

All the best for this week guys and gals and for the season ahead. Hope it's a good standard and exciting game with no injuries. :thumbsu:

I see Mitch Robinson is chasing two more years at the lions. Hope the club comes to the party and pays him well. He has performed really well for us on and off the field, so let's not "pikey" him.
Where did you see that?

Certainly deserves a 2 year deal imo

Where did you see that?

Certainly deserves a 2 year deal imo
It was an article on the bottom of another afl article on news.com.au

Quoted Mitch, seemed legit. I hope he gets to 101 games for us. A good example of a guy who has settled down and thrived out of the fishbowl of Melbourne

Thing with Bell is that he just doesnt have the agro like a Robbo to really use his body. There are glimpses here and there when he just crunches someone, but doesnt do it consistently. Bell doesnt need to be an elite inside mid, if he could do a similar job to Robbo, just use his body, hurt guys, crunching tackles, big blocks and be a presence inside, it would allow the other mids to do the skill work.

Berry is very much like this, as is Matho.

I knew archie Smith at school, so I was noticed he is not in many of your projected line ups, despite getting quite a few games last year. Is this a case of him not being up to it? Others moving ahead of him, or just being stiff to miss out?

Basically I am asking how many games do you think he will play this year.
Thanks

I knew archie Smith at school, so I was noticed he is not in many of your projected line ups, despite getting quite a few games last year. Is this a case of him not being up to it? Others moving ahead of him, or just being stiff to miss out?

Thanks
We will largely play one FT ruck, so assuming Stef Martin stays fit that limits game time straight away. Then you have Oscar McInerny who is very much challenging Smith for the 2nd ruck position, particularly given in the reserves last year McInerny was more of a goal threat when resting forwards then Smith was.

Personally I am still a big fan of Archie, and the club must still like his prospects having re-signed him for another 2 years, but he has work to do for sure

Archie is an interesting proposition. I do wonder if there is some consideration to playing Archie with Walker up forward and moving Eric as a mobile target. We have so much speed in Christensen, Rayner, Taylor, Robinson etc at the feet, but there must be a concern about our ability to compete in the air. Might be too much responsibility for Hipwood at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Archie is an interesting proposition. I do wonder if there is some consideration to playing Archie with Walker up forward and moving Eric as a mobile target. We have so much speed in Christensen, Rayner, Taylor, Robinson etc at the feet, but there must be a concern about our ability to compete in the air. Might be too much responsibility for Hipwood at this stage.

I reckon 2 rucks + 2 KPP is overkill. Archie + Martin are not forward threats ans we're better off with a mobile forward line.

McInerney has shown a fair bit more as a forward than Archie ever has.

Thanks
His game against Essendon, in which he was a crucial contributor at some last quarter clearances and centre contests,gives me cause for hope.Has physical presence, needs to get more experience reading general play.

Archie and OMc are two different types of rucks. OMc is a classical tap ruck who can play forward and take pack marks/goals. Archie is stronger body on body and is very handy around the ground. Archie is very much a raw prospect version of Stef Martin wheras OMc is more akin to a traditional ruck. If we had a ruck that could do all 3 roles (ruck, around the ground clearance machine + go forward and take pack marks/goals) we would have an AA level Paddy Rider clone.

OMc playing well doesnt mean Archie loses his spot. OMc playing well will put the pressure on Walker to perform in a post Stef Martin team. Ballenden is what interests me in the big man stakes. Ballenden played as a FWD, played his best footy at CHB but could become a decent ruckman as well. Even if Archie remains second ruck for most of his career (assuming Stef retires and OMc takes his spot) he is such an asset as a back up with his tackling and running around the ground. That Essendon game where he laid a bonecrunching tackle on someone in the middle resulting in an instant re-entry into the F50 + goal is what we need.

Archie and OMc are two different types of rucks. OMc is a classical tap ruck who can play forward and take pack marks/goals. Archie is stronger body on body and is very handy around the ground. Archie is very much a raw prospect version of Stef Martin wheras OMc is more akin to a traditional ruck. If we had a ruck that could do all 3 roles (ruck, around the ground clearance machine + go forward and take pack marks/goals) we would have an AA level Paddy Rider clone.

OMc playing well doesnt mean Archie loses his spot. OMc playing well will put the pressure on Walker to perform in a post Stef Martin team. Ballenden is what interests me in the big man stakes. Ballenden played as a FWD, played his best footy at CHB but could become a decent ruckman as well. Even if Archie remains second ruck for most of his career (assuming Stef retires and OMc takes his spot) he is such an asset as a back up with his tackling and running around the ground. That Essendon game where he laid a bonecrunching tackle on someone in the middle resulting in an instant re-entry into the F50 + goal is what we need.

Interestingly, I would’ve said the complete opposite. With his athletic attributes and physical aggression, Archie looks to me more like a traditional ruck with a big jump. Oscar doesn’t jump or tackle that aggressively but has good hands overhead and kicks well for goal.

I think that gives Oscar a better chance of finding a spot while Stef is still at or near his prime, but long term I think Archie has an equally good chance as the main ruck.

Interestingly, I would’ve said the complete opposite. With his athletic attributes and physical aggression, Archie looks to me more like a traditional ruck with a big jump. Oscar doesn’t jump or tackle that aggressively but has good hands overhead and kicks well for goal.

I think that gives Oscar a better chance of finding a spot while Stef is still at or near his prime, but long term I think Archie has an equally good chance as the main ruck.

Archie jumps high but he mistimes and is not able to get it right. OMc in centre bounces is supreme at timing and making the most of his jump; however he gets outbodied so easily in NEAFL situations in ball ups. Archie can hold his own in ballups but at centre square jumps he is so terrible at AFL level. His mistiming gets easily exploited and exposed. He is much better in the Stef Martin mold of staying slightly down and working more as an added midfielder at the centre. He scraps and can get that clearance whereas if OMc doesnt get the tap he often then doesnt get the clearance at NEAFL level.

Archie jumps high but he mistimes and is not able to get it right. OMc in centre bounces is supreme at timing and making the most of his jump; however he gets outbodied so easily in NEAFL situations in ball ups. Archie can hold his own in ballups but at centre square jumps he is so terrible at AFL level. His mistiming gets easily exploited and exposed. He is much better in the Stef Martin mold of staying slightly down and working more as an added midfielder at the centre. He scraps and can get that clearance whereas if OMc doesnt get the tap he often then doesnt get the clearance at NEAFL level.

I think that’s overstating the mistiming a bit, but I agree with you that it does happen. That seems a fixable issue to me though, and plausibly just him trying a bit too hard to assert himself there. As you say, he mitigates that problem with physical pressure around the ball.

Oscar, to me, looks like a chop out ruck who spends more time forward.

I think that’s overstating the mistiming a bit, but I agree with you that it does happen. That seems a fixable issue to me though, and plausibly just him trying a bit too hard to assert himself there. As you say, he mitigates that problem with physical pressure around the ball.

Oscar, to me, looks like a chop out ruck who spends more time forward.
The mistimed jumps aren't overstated, he does it a lot, often by large margins. Seems odd from someone from a basketball background.

The mistimed jumps aren't overstated, he does it a lot, often by large margins. Seems odd from someone from a basketball background.

At least he's mostly sorted out that issue where his timing tended to be totally catastrophic at the start of each game. Other than that he's improving but it still needs work.

Archie would want to show he’s ready for the number one position by the end of the year or he might be cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back