Opinion Best 22 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

For once this is actually difficult to do in a good way, i.e. not wanting to leave players out rather than desperately trying to find 22 players worthy of a spot! My 2 cents :
B Gardner Mcstay Robertson
HB Witherden Andrews Mayes
C Cutler Beams Berry
HF Taylor Hipwood Zorko
F Robinson Schacke Christensen
Fol Martin Rockliff Mathieson
Int McCluggage Rich Lester Keays

That's a bit unfair. Buckley left after 1-2 years, Rocky has stayed with us and is now what? 28? He has every right to chase a flag.
Not disputing that, more the grass isnt always greener.

B Gardiner, Andrews, Cutler
HB Mayes, McStay, Robertson
C Bewick, Beams, McCluggage
HF Taylor, Hipwood, Zorko
F Christensen, Schache, Smith

Followers Rockliff, Martin, Mathieson
Interchange Robinson, Berry, Rich, Witherden
Emergencies Lester, Walker

If we could keep this side together for the entire season next year we would be a force to be reakoned with. Plenty of run and speed in the starting 18 and a great bench. Once the season started players would be "in" or "out" on form and obviously injury.

Not disputing that, more the grass isnt always greener.

Definitely, however it is hard to argue we're closer to a flag than Adelaide, Melbourne *insert list primed for a flag tilt* and if you're 28 years old and want to push for a flag, you need to take a chance either with your current team or one closer to the top 4.

Definitely, however it is hard to argue we're closer to a flag than Adelaide, Melbourne *insert list primed for a flag tilt* and if you're 28 years old and want to push for a flag, you need to take a chance either with your current team or one closer to the top 4.
Well when we beat Adelaide in the preliminary final next year he is going to be feeling pretty damn silly.

If we could keep this side together for the entire season next year we would be a force to be reakoned with. Plenty of run and speed in the starting 18 and a great bench. Once the season started players would be "in" or "out" on form and obviously injury.

Rohan Bewick are you taking the piss the guy is no where near afl standard

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I quite like this team. Except I think I would move Berry or MRobbo into the middle and have Lester and Bewick fighting it out for the final interchange spot. On consistency I would lean towards Lester at the moment.

I would also see MRobbo (and to a lesser extent, NRobbo) as the Mr Fixit, depending on the opposition and state of the game. He might tag an opposition mid, play out of the middle at restarts or play a small pressuring forward role, depending on needs.

I wouldn't mind getting Cutler into the half back line as well. Witherden could start deeper with Cutler coming off the bench into half back/wing roles.

I think playing Archie is worth it for us. He is competitive on the ground, defensively works quite hard and while he isn't a natural forward, he at least seems to be able to bring the ball to ground.

I quite like this team. Except I think I would move Berry or MRobbo into the middle and have Lester and Bewick fighting it out for the final interchange spot. On consistency I would lean towards Lester at the moment.

I would also see MRobbo (and to a lesser extent, NRobbo) as the Mr Fixit, depending on the opposition and state of the game. He might tag an opposition mid, play out of the middle at restarts or play a small pressuring forward role, depending on needs.

I wouldn't mind getting Cutler into the half back line as well. Witherden could start deeper with Cutler coming off the bench into half back/wing roles.

I think playing Archie is worth it for us. He is competitive on the ground, defensively works quite hard and while he isn't a natural forward, he at least seems to be able to bring the ball to ground.
Great post. Very well thought through. I thought long and hard about Robinson on the wing, with a licence to run through the middle and Bewick on interchange. Went with Bewick on the wing as he has a massive tank and is more of a natural there and having Robinson on interchange for midfield rotation.

Fagan is selecting bewick (last week and this weekend) but we have Robinson and Christensen at least out injured from best 22.

Need to move on from Bewick as quickly as possible as an inconsistent 28yo, 100 gamer who is in and out of the team isn't something you associate with a finals team.

if you guys dont realise by now, fagan is selecting players and changing there positions to see who will be in his plans for 2018.

right now there will be multiple players in our side not playing next season and wont be in his plans but he wants to see if they show potential in positions out of the ordinary, i believe if you are playing 2s right now for us and about 26+ fagan wont bring you back next season (claye beams * off) fagan knows what he is doing and will be an amazing coach but i think he is testing the waters now

if you guys dont realise by now, fagan is selecting players and changing there positions to see who will be in his plans for 2018.

right now there will be multiple players in our side not playing next season and wont be in his plans but he wants to see if they show potential in positions out of the ordinary, i believe if you are playing 2s right now for us and about 26+ fagan wont bring you back next season (claye beams **** off) fagan knows what he is doing and will be an amazing coach but i think he is testing the waters now
Thank you. I was oblivious until now

right now there will be multiple players in our side not playing next season and wont be in his plans but he wants to see if they show potential in positions out of the ordinary, i believe if you are playing 2s right now for us and about 26+ fagan wont bring you back next season (claye beams **** off) fagan knows what he is doing and will be an amazing coach but i think he is testing the waters now
Bit harsh on Claye Smokey, IMO at his best he would have been a very good footballer but injuries have been cruel to him. I agree he will be de listed but not told to **** off.

Bit harsh on Claye Smokey, IMO at his best he would have been a very good footballer but injuries have been cruel to him. I agree he will be de listed but not told to **** off.

Yeah, pretty poor comment. Has always given his all for this club.

If not for the never ending injuries, he would have been a very solid long term player for us.
Shame!

Back: Gardiner Andrews Mayes
HB: Rich McStay Witherden
Cent: McCluggage Beams Lester
HF: Taylor Schache Bastinac
FF: Hipwood Walker Christensen
Foll: Martin Rockliff Zorko
Bench: Berry, Robinson, Robertson, Cutler

Gonna be interesting next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back