Opinion Best 22 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

My post was more for team in 2020 but with regards to Stef I think it would be wise to play him less minutes next season anyway. We really need to start getting games and experience into either Smith or Oscar. While we are still rebuilding it would be best to experiment a bit IMO. Can't imagine what would happen if for arguments sake Stef gets a season ending injury and we have to rely on a 10 gamer in Smith to hold his own in the ruck solo. Wouldn't be against resting Martin for the rest of the season either as he has been down on form a bit IMO and we aren't pushing for finals.
Martin has been a good soldier but it's time to look to the future....sorry Steph...I cringe each time he has a possession.

Every time I watch Hawthorn, which seems a like every week with their prime time games, you realize how many times McEvoy takes a big contested grab either deep down back, a long kick down the line when there's no other option or a big grab down forward.
I would welcome a McEvoy type.

Put time into Smith n Oscar...or/and part timers hammelman/ close n Walker.

We are in development stage and if we can get something for Steph in a trade while he still has some credits let's do it

They have plenty to learn in the 2s. Another season or 2 from Stef won't set us back.

Put time into Smith n Oscar...or/and part timers hammelman/ close n Walker.

We are in development stage and if we can get something for Steph in a trade while he still has some credits let's do it
Steph would get us a packet of chips, BBQ Samboy mind you. There are more younger ruckman around the league that others could get.

What's the alternative?
McInerney, Smith I also think Walker offers way more around the ground and is just as competitive in center bounces/ball ups/throw ins as Stef. Matty Eagles would offer just as much as well IMO.

The best mature ruckman we could find from the NEAFL/WAFL/SANFL would do just as good a job too and would cost a very late or rookie selection on draft night and not much $$$. If we were offered a 3rd round selection this or next year for Stef I would jump at it.

Steph would get us a packet of chips, BBQ Samboy mind you. There are more younger ruckman around the league that others could get.
Some team always in need of a back up Ruckman...we have 2 from Melbourne....we give1 back lol

We need a proven 2nd hand ruck from somewhere. Martin wont last forever / is always open to a trade. Archie hasn't shown anything close to being ready IMO and at this stage, i dont think he will make it. And.. other young guys need several years to be ready.

We need a proven stop gap whike the young guts come on.

Also need small forwards and midfield class.

They have plenty to learn in the 2s. Another season or 2 from Stef won't set us back.
Agree. Think posters here totally under rate how valuable Steff Martin really is to the team. His effort is unquestionable and if he was injured, our center clearances would be dramatically reduced to what is currently below par. IMO, Steff is one of the first players picked in the team. Has been now for years and will be for at least another 1-2 years in the future.

McInerney, Smith I also think Walker offers way more around the ground and is just as competitive in center bounces/ball ups/throw ins as Stef. Matty Eagles would offer just as much as well IMO.

The best mature ruckman we could find from the NEAFL/WAFL/SANFL would do just as good a job too and would cost a very late or rookie selection on draft night and not much $$$. If we were offered a 3rd round selection this or next year for Stef I would jump at it.

Surely you must realise that you are in the minority with that opinion and maybe for a good reason too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely you must realise that you are in the minority with that opinion and maybe for a good reason too.
I'll join Jason in the minority group. The sooner we move on from Steph the better. I think Archie will succeed at AFL level. The only thing he needs to work on is his around the ground presence. If his NEAFL form is anything to go by his marks are up and he's kickin goals. Let him ruck 90% of the game he's proven he can more than hold his own.

Steph's old and ain't gonna be there in the future. I don't think he's offering that much that he will be sorely missed from the team. His disposal leaves a lot to be desired and he's softer than Archie in contested situations.

I'll join Jason in the minority group. The sooner we move on from Steph the better. I think Archie will succeed at AFL level. The only thing he needs to work on is his around the ground presence. If his NEAFL form is anything to go by his marks are up and he's kickin goals. Let him ruck 90% of the game he's proven he can more than hold his own.

Steph's old and ain't gonna be there in the future. I don't think he's offering that much that he will be sorely missed from the team. His disposal leaves a lot to be desired and he's softer than Archie in contested situations.

This board has a strange view of our young players and our experienced players. Archie still has a very long way to go. The only thing he has to work on is his around the ground presence? That's one of the most ridiculous things you've written and there's lots of competition.

You're basing that form on one game in a 94 point win when the opponent didn't have a ruckman. The week before he had 1 mark and 0 goals and that's the only other game he's played since he's been dropped.

No idea where this idea that Stef is soft has come from. He gets bashed into 100 times a game as a ruckman. He's never been a strong mark but people expect him to magically start taking them.

Stefs disposal is fine. Only had 1 clanger on the weekend. It's certainly a lot better than Smith who's still told to handball where possible.

This board has a strange view of our young players and our experienced players. Archie still has a very long way to go. The only thing he has to work on is his around the ground presence? That's one of the most ridiculous things you've written and there's lots of competition.

You're basing that form on one game in a 94 point win when the opponent didn't have a ruckman. The week before he had 1 mark and 0 goals and that's the only other game he's played since he's been dropped.

No idea where this idea that Stef is soft has come from. He gets bashed into 100 times a game as a ruckman. He's never been a strong mark but people expect him to magically start taking them.

Stefs disposal is fine. Only had 1 clanger on the weekend. It's certainly a lot better than Smith who's still told to handball where possible.
There is no doubt that Archie & big Mac will be Steff's replacement over time. Definitely not ready now but they are fast learning the trade. Archie has been given taste's throughout the year in the seniors and is obviously not ready yet. In the meantime, Steff continues to provide great service to the club by being our ruckman and often being named in the best players. Cant see that changing soon.

There is no doubt that Archie & big Mac will be Steff's replacement over time. Definitely not ready now but they are fast learning the trade. Archie has been given taste's throughout the year in the seniors and is obviously not ready yet. In the meantime, Steff continues to provide great service to the club by being our ruckman and often being named in the best players. Cant see that changing soon.

Exactly. Archie did a good job in 2 games as sole ruckman lost year and he'll have O Mc and probably Ballenden working hard take his spot in the queue. However Stef is still a quality ruckman and it's up to them to take his spot.

I love how you have to have a snipe in everything you post to me. It's getting pretty tiresome bud. The rest of your post is a good argument but it's hard to read past the bolded.

Archie's tap work, follow up work and defensive work rate at stoppages is I would argue better than Stef.

Stef is miles ahead with what he offers around the ground.

Archie's ruck/centre/stoppage work is fantastic. He needs to work on his around the ground presence.

Quit being so combative in your posts I'm not the only one you constantly snipe at

I love how you have to have a snipe in everything you post to me. It's getting pretty tiresome bud. The rest of your post is a good argument but it's hard to read past the bolded.

Archie's tap work, follow up work and defensive work rate at stoppages is I would argue better than Stef.

Stef is miles ahead with what he offers around the ground.

Archie's ruck/centre/stoppage work is fantastic. He needs to work on his around the ground presence.

Quit being so combative in your posts I'm not the only one you constantly snipe at

How do they smell today?

Martin has his deficiencies, but this is way off. Come on, let's at least attempt to be slightly realistic here.
Yeah there's really no need to rush ruckmen into it. Martin didn't do anything of note until at afl level until he was 27.

Martin has his deficiencies, but this is way off. Come on, let's at least attempt to be slightly realistic here.
I obviously have a different opinion of Stef than you. From my perspective Stef is grossly over rated. I have been watching him very closely since I came out as a "not a fan of Stef" member and nothing has changed my mind as yet.

I obviously have a different opinion of Stef than you. From my perspective Stef is grossly over rated. I have been watching him very closely since I came out as a "not a fan of Stef" member and nothing has changed my mind as yet.
Jason, some posters on BF do get offended when your opinion (& others) is not the same. That's what makes BF interesting. Don't let them get to you. It would be a boring place if everyone agreed to my views & opinions no mater how correct they are EVERY time. lmao.

Jason, some posters on BF do get offended when your opinion (& others) is not the same. That's what makes BF interesting. Don't let them get to you. It would be a boring place if everyone agreed to my views & opinions no mater how correct they are EVERY time. lmao.
Thanks FWG, no one has ever got to me on BF and very rarely in the flesh and blood world.

I only ever get my back up if a derogatory comment is directed at someone who can't speak up for themselves eg, kids, elderly.

Totally agree with the bolded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back