List Mgmt. Best 22 - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care what players are best 22, it seems it's about the team not individuals (yeah, cliche)...but it seems that whithin reason the whole list knows the plan.

If you take a few talls out of the VFL team, where do they play come the weekend?
Rest 1 of Balta, Miller, CJones on a rotation basis. I'd prefer the tall players missed the odd game for the overall benefit of the VFL & AFL teams.
Mind you last year the VFL team had Maric, Griff ~ both who retired. Now if Hampson continues his record with injury, Soldo will be senior ruck. And C Jones next in line. So I'm happier to see that.

Last edited:
Rest 1 of Balta, Miller, CJones on a rotation basis. I'd prefer the tall players missed the odd game for the overall benefit of the VFL & AFL teams.
Mind you last year the VFL team had Maric, Griff ~ both who retired. Now if Hampson continues his record with injury, Soldo will be senior ruck. And C Jones next in line. So I'm happier to see that.

OK. So you were only suggesting the team had one too many talls. I thought you were saying 2-3 needed to come out of that team.

I would prefer they all play but get rotated positionally. I am from the view the VFL is all about development, not winning. But as kids, they will need rests during the season anyway.

Just rewatched the GF. Hard to find fault really. But the impact of Caddy and Towno was clear. Got the ball and got the opposition. The impact of the small Fwds Butler and Castagna was less so. Fluffed kicks and handballs. Now I don’t know what indicators the club uses but to the untrained eye you’d think these 2 were first in line for losing their positions. And on another view Jack Graham has room for improvement. Which is a huge plus for us. The defence is a bit scrappy at times but worked well as a unit.

Theres 4 or 5 in the gun for me looking at rnd 1 .

Looks likely Rioli misses rnd 1 and Broad definately. To me its a straight swap Bolton for Rioli and Broad is replaced with one of Markov for run and pace or Garthwaite replacing height for height.
Carlton have a lot of tall fwds Curnow, Silvagni, Casboult and McKay. It could be Garthwaite will be needed for match ups.

Id like to see Menadue come in for B Ellis but the golden haired one wont get dropped despite an abysmal finals campaign.

Rioli being hurt probably saves Castagna but i would not be averse to giving one of the other smalls a shot at it as well or Higgins to debut.

Looking for a second tall fwd and i think Moore needs to be played and persevered with.I think McIntosh is in trouble and would not be surprised if he misses rnd 1 .

FB: Grimes 193/90. 26 yo 104gms - Astbury 195/96. 27yo 85 gms - Vlastuin 187/87. 23yo 96gms.
HB: Houli 180/84. 29yo 170gms. - Rance 194/96 28yo 175gms - Markov 188/78 21yo 15 gms. or Garthwaite 192/90 19yo 0gms.

R: Nankervis 199/102 23yo 36gms - Cotchin 185/85 27yo 198gms - Prestia 175/82 25yo 117gms.
C: Grigg 190/84 29yo 192gms. - Martin 187/92 26yo 178gms - Menadue 187/80 21yo 28gms.

HF: Butler 182/80 21yo 23gms - Riewoldt 195/92 29yo 225gms - Edwards 182/81 29yo 207gms
FF: Townsend 187/89 24yo 37gms - Moore 193/93 21yo 2 gms - Bolton 175/76 19yo 6gms.

Int: Caddy 186/88 25yo 88gms - Lambert 178/77 26yo 52gms - Graham 181/82 20yo 5gms. - ######

Last spot is open could be a tall a big bodied player or even a chop out for nank or even one of the smalls castagna higgins stengle?

Time will tell. The guys knocking down the door will be Bolton, Higgins, Stengle and Lloyd on the forward line. Short, Markov and Conca on the backline. Miles and Corey Ellis on the mids. Perhaps one of our plethora of small forwards can become a mid, guys like Bolton and Higgins certainly have the potential.

We could certainly use a second tall on the forward line but unless we can convert one of the backs or one of our 2017 draftees develops more quickly than expected we are going to need to play around that position (as we did so successfully in 2017)

It's good to be the king.

I think there will be 4 changes to round 1
out. Rioli, Broad, Prestia and some one we don't know yet.
replacements will come from whomever is killing the pre season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back