Team Mgmt. Best 22 - 2019 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Heppell and Zac Merrett will have to spend a fair chunk of time on the wing.

I feel we only really have 2 wingers in pur best 22 being Zacka and McGrath. Guelfis the other that could come into calculations on a wing. With redman injured and Gleeson not progressing as rapidly as i expected. Ridley will be required across half back.

I wouldnt be against seeing Heppell play there. I dont think its the worse call. His junior career he played as the quarter back and plenty across half back.

Knowing wooshas coaching we will use Mcgrath or guelfi down back with Ridley

Round 1 side: (Assuming Gleeson and Redman, arnt ready)

B: Guelfi - Hooker - Francis
HB: Saad - Hurley - Mckenna
C: Mcgrath - Heppell - Zaharakis
HF: D.Smith - Daniher - Tippa
F: Fantasia - Mckernan - Stringer
R: TBC - Shiel - Z.Merrett

Bench: Ridley(D), Parish (F), 2 of Myers, Langford and Laverde.

Feel Laverde as we he can play both well. Allows Stringer to go onball when needed and Laverde can also play wing whereas im not sure Langers or Myers cover the ground there.

Feel Laverde as we he can play both well. Allows Stringer to go onball when needed and Laverde can also play wing whereas im not sure Langers or Myers cover the ground there.

Think this is very close. Brown a likely starter though if Daniher not ready.
The bench is the tricky part - Myers is a lock for mine - in the leadership group, was decent last year and provides some grunt out of the middle.
And I cant leave any of Langford, Laverde or Parish out of the 22. So for me I'd say its Guelfi & Ridley competing for the same spot and one of them will miss.

Im very sure Langford could play on the wing, pretty sure he spent some good time there last year.

Think this is very close. Brown a likely starter though if Daniher not ready.
The bench is the tricky part - Myers is a lock for mine - in the leadership group, was decent last year and provides some grunt out of the middle.
And I cant leave any of Langford, Laverde or Parish out of the 22. So for me I'd say its Guelfi & Ridley competing for the same spot and one of them will miss.

Then Mcgraths playing back and everything in preseason says otherwise

Francis Hartley Gleeson
McKenna Hurley Saad
Mgragth Shiel Zerrett
Smith Daniher Fantasia
Stringer Hooker Tippa

Bellchambers Heppell Parish

Laverde , Langford , Myers , Zaharakis

Pretty easy.

Francis Hartley Gleeson
McKenna Hurley Saad
Mgragth Shiel Zerrett
Smith Daniher Fantasia
Stringer Hooker Tippa

Bellchambers Heppell Parish

Laverde , Langford , Myers , Zaharakis

Pretty easy.
The big Chook has got to stay back. Settled our back 6 beautifully in the second half of last year. Can still swing forward for a cheeky burst every so often. Mckernan to partner joe in the forward line as he can also give T bell a chop out in the ruck

Zach Clarke and Bellchambers are so similar. Both okay without being great around the ground, both can go forward and take a mark, kick a goal. Who is our number 1 ruck?

Zach Clarke and Bellchambers are so similar. Both okay without being great around the ground, both can go forward and take a mark, kick a goal. Who is our number 1 ruck?
Bellchambers comfortably.

Agree to an extent. I don't think he is comfortably our number ruck.
I reckon he's comfortably in the top 10 rucks for 2019 at this stage, and Clarke is adequate back up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When everyone is fit and available:

Saad Hooker Francis
McKenna Hurley Gleeson
McGrath Heppell Smith
Fantasia Daniher Laverde
Tippa McKernan Stringer
Bellchambers Shiel Merrett
Parish Langford Zaharakis Myers

Think Ridley and Stewart will take the spots of the injured Gleeson and Daniher for round 1. Guelfi unlucky while Redman and Begley should be pushing hard for selection when fully fit as well, but not quite best 22 at this stage.

After thursday night, i have the final spot in defence locked down by Ridley

Francis Hooker Ridley
Saad Hurley McKenna
Smith Shiel Merrett
Tippa Stringer Fantasia
Laverde Daniher Stewart
TBC Heppell Langford
Parish Myers Zaka McGrath

Lets try keep that 22 fit.
Redman and Begley to pressure for spots.

The big Chook has got to stay back. Settled our back 6 beautifully in the second half of last year. Can still swing forward for a cheeky burst every so often. Mckernan to partner joe in the forward line as he can also give T bell a chop out in the ruck

McKernan was a genuine forward force before he got injured last year, no chance he doesn’t get the chance to reproduce that imo.

Round 1

Ridley Hooker Francis
McKenna Hurley Saad
McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
Smith Daniher Fantasia
Stringer McKernan Tippa
T-Bell Shiel Zerrett
Myers Langford Laverde Parish

Gleeson hopefully builds quickly and puts pressure on the backs to come back in. Ridley starts though while he is out and on the back of his JLT form.

Rest of the team picks themselves really.

Round 1

Ridley Hooker Francis
McKenna Hurley Saad
McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
Smith Daniher Fantasia
Stringer McKernan Tippa
T-Bell Shiel Zerrett
Myers Langford Laverde Parish

Gleeson hopefully builds quickly and puts pressure on the backs to come back in. Ridley starts though while he is out and on the back of his JLT form.

Rest of the team picks themselves really.

Smack in for me as well & it's hard not to like the look of that side, maybe Laverde out for Long on the bench.

Moving feast this is - right now I’d have:-

Francis Hartley McKenna
Ridley Hurley Saad
Smith Heppell McGrath
Tippa Brown/Smack Laverde
Stringer Daniher Fantasia

Bellcho Shiel ZMerrett

Zakka Langford Myers Parish

Really can’t decide between SMACK and Brown for that CHF spot - and then there’s guys like Gleeson, Ambrose, Begley, Z.Clarke and probably a couple of others I’ve missed all who have cases for starting 22 round 1

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My round 1 side
Saad Ambrose Francis
Ridley Hurley McKenna
Zaharakis Shiel Langford
Smith Brown Fantasia
Stringer Daniher Tipungwuti
Bellchambers Heppell Merrett

Laverde Myers McGrath Parish/Guelfi

Emg McKernan Baguley Parish/Guelfi

Tough to balance the side from the bench, Lav is the 7th forward, Myers and McGrath the extra mids. Parish vs Guelfi is interesting since Guelfi could play the role as 7th defender but that spot could also be taken by Myers/Heppell who could rotate back which could allow us that extra mid in Parish. If Myers doesnt play the 2nd JLT he wont play Round 1 anyway but i feel if he is fit he will play AFL level regardless.

My round 1 side
Saad Ambrose Francis
Ridley Hurley McKenna
Zaharakis Shiel Langford
Smith Brown Fantasia
Stringer Daniher Tipungwuti
Bellchambers Heppell Merrett

Laverde Myers McGrath Parish/Guelfi

Emg McKernan Baguley Parish/Guelfi

Tough to balance the side from the bench, Lav is the 7th forward, Myers and McGrath the extra mids. Parish vs Guelfi is interesting since Guelfi could play the role as 7th defender but that spot could also be taken by Myers/Heppell who could rotate back which could allow us that extra mid in Parish. If Myers doesnt play the 2nd JLT he wont play Round 1 anyway but i feel if he is fit he will play AFL level regardless.
My exact team as well. Hooker in for Ambrose the only clear cut change if we are fully fit (Gleeson vs Ridley is 50/50 IMO).

As far as round 1 (so not an absolute best 22 and no Hooker coz he's injured)...

Players who played the majority (70%+) of their available games in 2018 and have played in both JLTs this year:

Forwards (5): Joe Daniher, Jake Stringer, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Mark Baguley, Mitch Brown

Other forwards who played both JLTs: nil

Midfielders (9): Dyson Heppell, Zach Merrett, David Zaharakis, Andrew McGrath, Devon Smith, Dylan Shiel, Darcy Parish, Matt Guelfi, Kyle Langford

Other midfielders who played both JLTs: nil

Defenders (4): Michael Hurley, Conor McKenna, Adam Saad, Patrick Ambrose

Other defenders who played both JLTs (2): Aaron Francis, Jordan Ridley

That's 18 (not inc. Francis/Ridley).

Usually we have 6 forwards, 1 ruckman, 8 or 9 mids and 6 or 7 defenders.

So a ruckman, probably Bellchambers. That's 19.

Don't see Myers and Fantasia being omitted if they're fit, despite only playing one JLT each. Played every game last year, and are in the leadership group. That's 21. Puts one or two of our mids playing out of defence though. McGrath would be the obvious guess to rotate back, possibly Myers as well if he's not in the guts.

The 22nd man is up for debate, but would need to be a defender. Probably one of Francis and Ridley, they're probably competing for a spot between them unless Gleeson is fit. Depending on match ups it could also be McKernan in with Brown sent to defence.

So R1:

Saad, Hurley, Francis/Ridley
McGrath, Ambrose, McKenna
Heppell, Merrett, Zaharakis
Smith, Daniher, Fantasia
Brown/Smack, Stringer, Walla

Bellchambers, Shiel, Myers

I/C: Baguley, Parish, Guelfi, Langford

That backline scares me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back