Team Mgmt. Best 22 - 2019 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

First full preseason wont surprise me. Im big on Ridley. I think hes going to be something pretty special if injuries can stay away for a bit. Hes coming from a little way back due to them but his ability is something special.

I'm 100% with you on his talent level, I reckon he's going to be a gun.

I just think with how Worsfold's approached all the younger guys so far, Ridley's going to be made to earn it. If he's not currently getting a game ahead of Matty Dea (who has been pretty good - but is probably depth in a top 8 side), I can't see how he'd leap frog Gleeson in an preseason.

Since Worsfold's been here, for better or worse, he's always favoured age/experience over youth.

This is the 22 to take us to the promised land

B. J. Atkinson A.Henneman A. Steinberg
HB R.Cole S.Hunt J Nash
C M.Bullen E Kavanagh T Hislop
HF J. Reynolds J. Neagle T Zantuck
F D.Cupido C.Johns M. Quinn
R J. Laycock J. Bannister B. Haynes
I H. Skipworth A.Browne D Van Unen
W.Hams

Just did a best 22 of who's not in them team against Port last round - blokes in bold either in or very close to best 22 round 1 in 2019.
Didn't actually realise we had so much tall timber/key position depth - guys like Draper, Margaret, Stewart & Hartley all waiting in the wings...

Margaret Hartley Dea
Gleeson Ambrose McNeice
Ridley Redman Begley
Stewart Daniher Fantasia
Draper McKernan Green

Bellcho Clarke Mutch

Houlahan Mynott Long

B. Francis Hurley Redman
Hb. Saad Hooker Mckenna
C Parish Merrett Zaharakis
HF Fantasia McKernan McDonald-Tipungwuti
F Baguley Daniher Stringer
R: Bellchambers Heppell Shiel
Int: McGrath, Smith, Langford, Mutch, Gleeson, Brown, Myers, Stewart, Ridley, Laverde, Guelfi

Good depth

B. Francis Hurley Redman
Hb. Saad Hooker Mckenna
C Parish Merrett Zaharakis
HF Fantasia McKernan McDonald-Tipungwuti
F Baguley Daniher Stringer
R: Bellchambers Heppell Shiel
Int: McGrath, Smith, Langford, Mutch, Gleeson, Brown, Myers, Stewart, Ridley, Laverde, Guelfi

Good depth

Shows when you forget Begley

HB R.Cole S.Hunt J Nash
W.Hams
Austin Lucy's omission enrages me.

HB R.Cole S.Hunt J Nash
W.Hams

Oh God my eyes! The goggles do nothing!

B: Francis Hurley Saad
HB: Gleeson Hooker McKenna
C: Smith Heppell Zaharakis
HF: Fantasia Brown Langford
FF: Stringer Daniher Walla
R: Bellchambers Myers Merrett
Int: Parish Redman McGrath Guelfi

Have gone with Guelfi and Brown ahead of guys with maybe a bit more talent/potential because they play such selfless, reliable, team oriented footy, which really epitomised our turnaround this season (for the same reason Baguley is a bit unlucky). Up to guys like Begley, Laverde and Stewart to force their way in.

Going to have one of the best back-lines in the competition next year without a doubt. You got Saad settling in after 12 months into the Essendon system, got another 18 games intp 22 y/o McKenna which is a big win for his experience and AFL minutes - also showed great improvement. Francis finished off the season strongly and hopefully carries that momentum and good spirit into a strong pre-season. Then you have my favorite Essendon player Gleeson coming back. Watching him and Francis off of half-back for 20 or so games next year is going to be some serious viewing and will be a key mechanism for consistency. Finals no doubt.

I think the most intriguing part will be what our best combination of talls up forward is.

HF: Baguley McKernan Walla
FF: Fantasia Daniher Stringer

Structurally McKernan makes the most sense as he is better in the ruck than Brown or Stewart, however Brown is pretty stiff to miss out based on his recent form.

I might need to think about this more but given the current state of the list, I think I've managed to fit what I think will be 21 of our best 22 players into the best 22 with the balance of players that I'd be looking for.

SD-1: Saad KD-1: Hurley KD-3: Francis
HB-1: McKenna KD-2: Hooker HB-2: Redman (M)

R: Bellchambers M-1: Merrett M-2: Myers
M-3: Langford (MF) W-1: Smith W-2/HB-3: Heppel

KF-3: Stringer (M) KF-1: Daniher MF2: Laverde (M)
SF-1: Fantasia KF-2: Stewart (R) SF-1: McDonald-Tipungwuti

I-1: McGrath (M/D) I-2: Zaharakis (M/F) I-3: Ridley (D/W) I-4: Parish (M)

I'm not going to bother with emergencies because the next best 4 players would all be key position players and the selection of emergencies is based on form and need. Gleeson is the unlucky one but we're ultimately trying to fit him Francis, Ridley and Redman into three positions so something is going to have to give. I also expect Gleeson to start in the side for round 1 2019, by the way.

I was arguing with posters back in the middle of the season about Gleeson. The idea that Francis, Ridley and Redman would be on par with Gleeson was being scoffed at. What about Francis and Redman now?

Admittedly Redman's sample size is smaller but he could hardly have been more impressive. The thing that works for Redman is that he's an excellent runner and he'll also be capable of rotating into the middle of the ground which adds important versatility.

Ridley is progressing well. He's the upgraded cyborg. Bigger, faster, stronger, etc. Anything Gleeson can do Ridley does or will do better. I love Marty but your blind if you can't see the challenge he faces. Maybe that brings something more out of him. It will be party time if that happens.

:insert gif:

I liked what I saw of Heppell playing as the seventh defender or as a very defensive winger at times against Port. It's the way to maximise talent in the side and to evolve the midfield to give Langford the game time he should command.

There is an argument that we could play another genuine tall in place of Laverde. If it's not a "break out" pre-season or VFL finals campaign that resolves the issue it will be the ability to rotate into the middle of the ground. Begley has the handicap of his injury but I'd say that the ability to convert an opportunity aside there is nothing he has done that has him ahead of Laverde anyway. Begley is definitely someone I thought about for I-4 but he's going to need to demonstrate more of a game up the field before that happens.

Stewart would be the only other controversy. Brown has played some very good matches but it's nothing better than what Stewart has done and Stewart does it with a physical presence that Brown plays without. McKernan is a better option as a ruck and is on par or slightly ahead of Stewart as a deep forward. I think Stewart can genuinely influence a game in three different roles as a forward whereas the other two are more limited.

There is a bit of an embarrassment of key position riches out of the side. Hartley is a different player now, he could play as Hooker does whereas previously he was just a stopper.

McKernan is clearly AFL standard as a KPF and so is Brown as more of a third tall forward.

Ambrose would be as unlucky as any to miss but the reality is that for his strengths, he's not in Hurley's league as a stopper and Hurley is probably not in Francis' league as a third tall/interceptor so I see no reason to play Ambrose in a best side.

Baguley and McNiece play roles at either end of the ground. Guelfi is a useful utility.

Unsurprisingly the exercise has identified a need for an inside mid or two. Begley, Mutch and Clarke are unlikely to be factors next year.

I like the idea of Setterfield though I'm not sure whether he can be real depth next year. I certainly would not include him in a best 22 before seeing him play.

The need for more run is also evident. The best 22 is blisteringly quick but there is not a lot outside of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HB R.Cole S.Hunt J Nash
W.Hams

Nice mix of failures there... how about and all recycled team from other clubs list prior to the 2012 "incident';

Zantuck - Michael - Bomford
Kickett - Wellman - McPhee

Allan - Doolan - Denham
Alvey - Young - Fraser

Murphy - Kickett - Skipworth
Barnard - Williams - Cupido

Cole - Haynes - Grgic - Prismal

That's just off the top of my head as I'm sure I've missed many. A few can hold their heads very high Denham, Wellman & Barnard played roles in flags and the likes of Kickkett, McPhee, Young, Doolan and Fraser played enough in the Bombers colors to justify bringing them in but there is a lot of experiments that didn't live up to investment.

HB R.Cole S.Hunt J Nash
W.Hams
Throw H Slattery in there and you have a winning formula!!

HB R.Cole S.Hunt J Nash
W.Hams
Lonergan ahead of Skippy surely?

Nice mix of failures there... how about and all recycled team from other clubs list prior to the 2012 "incident';

Zantuck - Michael - Bomford
Kickett - Wellman - McPhee

Allan - Doolan - Denham
Alvey - Young - Fraser

Murphy - Kickett - Skipworth
Barnard - Williams - Cupido

Cole - Haynes - Grgic - Prismal

That's just off the top of my head as I'm sure I've missed many. A few can hold their heads very high Denham, Wellman & Barnard played roles in flags and the likes of Kickkett, McPhee, Young, Doolan and Fraser played enough in the Bombers colors to justify bringing them in but there is a lot of experiments that didn't live up to investment.
If we are talking "Crazy Kev's Bargain recycled team" Then id look something like

B T. Zantuck - T Darcy - A.Bomford
HB R Cole - J. Robran - I.McMullin
C S. Camporeale - J. Murphy - G, Raines
HF A. Manning - I Grgic - M. Richardson
F M.Williams - D. Cupido - H. Skipworth
Foll M.Allan - B. Doolan - B. Prismall
Int S. Eastaugh - B. Bower - M. Alvey
B. Haynes

I too think Heppell is more useful as a wing that rotates inside rather than an inside player who occasionally rotates onto a wing or flank. Sees the game very well, spreads the width of the ground and can take an overhead grab.

Whether it's Shiel or someone else in the draft a genuine high level centre square clearance winner makes us a completely different side, could you imagine Oliver or Mitchell dishing out to Merrett or Zaharakis or Smith on the fly?

If we are talking "Crazy Kev's Bargain recycled team" Then id look something like

B T. Zantuck - T Darcy - A.Bomford
HB R Cole - J. Robran - I.McMullin
C S. Camporeale - J. Murphy - G, Raines
HF A. Manning - I Grgic - M. Richardson
F M.Williams - D. Cupido - H. Skipworth
Foll M.Allan - B. Doolan - B. Prismall
Int S. Eastaugh - B. Bower - M. Alvey
B. Haynes

I missed Campo, great pick up, there was a re-tread that arrived with one foot out the door!!

Didn't Eastaugh start with the Bombers then go to Freo?

I too think Heppell is more useful as a wing that rotates inside rather than an inside player who occasionally rotates onto a wing or flank. Sees the game very well, spreads the width of the ground and can take an overhead grab.

Whether it's Shiel or someone else in the draft a genuine high level centre square clearance winner makes us a completely different side, could you imagine Oliver or Mitchell dishing out to Merrett or Zaharakis or Smith on the fly?

Is prone to shanking the ball to the opposition though.

HB R.Cole S.Hunt J Nash
W.Hams

* we picked quite a few dud overs the years :tearsofjoy:

Ambrose has consistently been left out of best 22 teams but I suspect that if he's fit he'll still be starting round 1 next year. His athletic ability and discipline on field will find him a spot somewhere on the ground. I could even see him being reinvented as a defensive forward. I can't see why he wouldn't be able to do everything Baguley is doing right now to an even better level.

I think there is still doubts over McKernan, Brown and Stewart going into next year. McKernan and Brown did well when Daniher wasn't in the team and they got to play as main targets. Stewart conversely did worse when he got more attention. It will be interesting to see what level of output we get from these 3 and which ones emerge as genuine best 22 players.

Laverde's seems to have found his way into plenty of teams ahead of Baguley and Begley. Interestingly the coaches didn't select him ahead of either of them at all this season. Nor does he look likely to displace Myers from the midfield. I reckon he gets a lot more wraps on here than is warranted by his performances.

If Ridley isn't in at the start of the year, he will be by the end. IMO, he will go past quite a few players next year & I reckon he is a good chance to end up a better player than both Hurley & Hooker.

If we can land a Dylan Shiel type, I won't be surprised if we win the premiership next year. We have the smell of Geelong 06.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back