Team Mgmt. Best 22 - 2019 edition

Its Dylan Shiel and I added the s because that's how many say the name. Not sure what you are on about Langford would be miles off a certainty particularly with Dylan joining the team. Im tipping Parish steps up. Im pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about. Even last year (considered by many to be a disappointing year for Parish) he average roughly 3 more possessions a game then Langford.

Good effort as an outsider, you've gone pretty close IMO.

Langford is 100% in that side barring injury. Absolute lock.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok I underestimated Langford and based my view too much on stats.
New best 22
B: Saad Ambrose Hurley
HB Mckenna Hooker Francis
C: Mcgrath Shiels Zaka
R: Bellchambers Heppell Z.Merrett
HF: Smith Mckernan Tippa
FF: Stringer Daniher Fantasia

I/C Parish, Glesson, Laverde, Langford
Sill think either Brown or Ambrose are in the 22 to allow Hurley to play the spare role where he dominated in early to mid 2018. Both players (ambrose and brown) are not in the best 22 Essendon players, but one is needed to allow Hurley to play the quarterback role. Redman might still be the surprise packet. Him or Laverde might be in opposition for best 22. Still think Myers misses out as you would have too many inside mids if Myers, Shiel, Langford, Heppell and Parish (who I think will play more inside next year) are all in the team.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Ok I underestimated Langford and based my view too much on stats.
New best 22
B: Saad Ambrose Hurley
HB Mckenna Hooker Francis
C: Mcgrath Shiels Zaka

I/C Parish, Glesson, Laverde, Langford
Sill think either Brown or Ambrose are in the 22 to allow Hurley to play the spare role where he dominated in early to mid 2018. Both players (ambrose and brown) are not in the best 22 Essendon players, but one is needed to allow Hurley to play the quarterback role. Redman might still be the surprise packet. Him or Laverde might be in opposition for best 22. Still think Myers misses out as you would have too many inside mids if Myers, Shiel, Langford, Heppell and Parish (who I think will play more inside next year) are all in the team.
Someone already mentioned it earlier but hurley is better when given someone to stop. For example when he beat buddy last year we beat sydney. We've got enough intercept marking strength and rebound without hurley playing as a loose man. Ambrose isnt best 22. You are right about myers though. He needs to have another good year or else any of guelfi, laverde, begley, redman or ridley should and probably will get played ahead of him. I feel hes still got enough in the tank to have plenty of impact in 2019 though.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Someone already mentioned it earlier but hurley is better when given someone to stop. For example when he beat buddy last year we beat sydney. We've got enough intercept marking strength and rebound without hurley playing as a loose man. Ambrose isnt best 22. You are right about myers though. He needs to have another good year or else any of guelfi, laverde, begley, redman or ridley should and probably will get played ahead of him. I feel hes still got enough in the tank to have plenty of impact in 2019 though.
Ok:
Taking on advice then: My final attempt.
B: Saad Hurley Francis
HB Mckenna Hooker Glesson
C: Mcgrath Shiel Zaka

I/C Parish, Begley, Laverde, Langford
Redman to come in for Laverde if he can build on his impressive couple of games in 2018

Its Dylan Shiel and I added the s because that's how many say the name. Not sure what you are on about Langford would be miles off a certainty particularly with Dylan joining the team. Im tipping Parish steps up. Im pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about. Even last year (considered by many to be a disappointing year for Parish) he average roughly 3 more possessions a game then Langford.
Pretty bold coming onto an opposition board and declaring they have no idea about their own best 22.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty bold coming onto an opposition board and declaring they have no idea about their own best 22.
Im pretty sure you missed the fact I was responding to a poster having a go at my post mis-spelling Shiel while mispelling the word themselves. You might want to read my more recent posts where I aknowledged essendon supporters would know more than me and I was having a go as an outsider.

Im pretty sure you missed the fact I was responding to a poster having a go at my post mis-spelling Shiel while mispelling the word themselves. You might want to read my more recent posts where I aknowledged essendon supporters would know more than me and I was having a go as an outsider.
I didn't miss anything. Thanks though.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Ok:
Taking on advice then: My final attempt.
B: Saad Hurley Francis
HB Mckenna Hooker Glesson
C: Mcgrath Shiel Zaka

I/C Parish, Begley, Laverde, Langford
Redman to come in for Laverde if he can build on his impressive couple of games in 2018
Better. Much the same as mine. I have Myers and Ridley on the pine but you’d be more than justified in seeing Begley and Laverde there instead. And Redman shows enough but I am thinking that Ridley might be a smoky for the big improver next year.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I didn't miss anything. Thanks though.
Sorry to be Captain Obvious but yeah you did miss my point. Great contributions here. Pretty bold offering nothing and then having a go and anyone who contribution a different point of view. Nice to see such positive contributions.

Last edited:
Sorry to be Captain Obvious but yeah you did miss my point. Great contributions here. Pretty bold offering nothing and then having a go and anyone who contribution a different point of view. Nice to see such positive contributions.
No I didn't. You told him he had no idea after declaring Parish was better than Langford.

Very odd to make a, incorrect btw, point about Shiel name, carry on about Parish and Langford and then declare he had no idea about Shiel name.

Nice try though.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
No I didn't. You told him he had no idea after declaring Parish was better than Langford.

Very odd to make a, incorrect btw, point about Shiel name, carry on about Parish and Langford and then declare he had no idea about Shiel name.

Nice try though.
His name is Dylan Shiel. What planet are you on? He said it was Shield. I was also predicting Parish would be better than Langford in a prediction thread for best 22 and made the point that Parish statistcally was better than Langford by a decent margin so the idea that Langford was a deadset certainty to be picked ahead of Parish was a stange point. No drama. Clearly an outsiders views arent welcome here even if the outsider has been in the top 100 twice for supercoach because he has predicted players who will step up each year far more accurately than most do. Not phased. Im out.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
His name is Dylan Shiel. What planet are you on? He said it was Shield. I was also predicting Parish would be better than Langford in a prediction thread for best 22 and made the point that Parish statistcally was better than Langford by a decent margin so the idea that Langford was a deadset certainty to be picked ahead of Parish was a stange point. No drama. Clearly an outsiders views arent welcome here even if the outsider has been in the top 100 twice for supercoach because he has predicted players who will step up each year far more accurately than most do. Not phased. Im out.
AFL teams aren’t picked on SuperCoach points and stats buddy, we are all for opposition supporters giving their opinion on our best 22 just try and not offend the actual Essendon posters and your sweet.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
My issue with picking them both is that they are similar in the sense they both would rather play loose on their opponent and aren't adept at playing small. I rate Gleeson as a player but I have Ridley and Redman as better complimentary players to to the Hurley/Hooker/Francis trio

Francis showed he could play on a man, beat him, then also take intercept marks. Hooker can do that too. With Hurley playing tight and Gleeson playing a little looker we have a backline that will take as many intercept marks as West Coasts. Kicking long into our backline will be a fruitless ploy for opposition teams.

MarkJohnson#1

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
That 6th position in the back line is most intriguing for me. Don't agree with Gleeson being the obvious selection like most on here. Is Ridley ready to step up? Redman fit? Dea to start off the year until others are ready? McGrath to play back? Zerk make it too tall? McNiece good enough? Ambrose the best lock down option? Jok the smoky?

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
That 6th position in the back line is most intriguing for me. Don't agree with Gleeson being the obvious selection like most on here. Is Ridley ready to step up? Redman fit? Dea to start off the year until others are ready? McGrath to play back? Zerk make it too tall? McNiece good enough? Ambrose the best lock down option? Jok the smoky?

Id dare say that's the only position really up for grabs. Its also a very good thing to have so many options.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
I'm amazed people still think more disposals = better player, and bring it up as if it strengthens their argument.

Last edited:
The part where you incorrectly summarized you should add an S on his name is incorrect. You also didn't say it was a strange point, you said he had no idea and what did I say in my original post? Pretty sure I said it was bold to tell someone they had no idea about their team on their board. Which it is.

Your ham fisted attempt to back away from that has been amusing but probably a smart idea to walk away now.

As for supercoach.... ******* lol.

Gleeson has more runs on the board than anybody else except maybe Ambrose, who now seems perenially injured.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon

Gleeson is probably still the front runner for mine if he gets back into full training after Christmas. Redman would have been in consideration but he's probably consigned to VFL early season recovering from his most recent injury. Ridley is the most like for like contender and in many ways could even up a superior version of Gleeson, being taller, more athletic and a better kick. I wouldn't write off Ambrose. If our other talls are Hooker, Francis and Hurley we already have a lot of intercept and rebound so we could afford to pick a guy that's mostly a negator.

McGrath will get used down back occasionally, even with Saad and McKenna but only against teams that play lots of small forwards iike Richmond / Collingwood etc. I wouldn't name him down back in a best 22 though as I think he'll predominantly be a winger.

In summary 1) Gleeson 2) Ridley 3) Ambrose

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Been keeping an eye on this thread for a week or so, its clear we are going to have great depth. Which is always a good problem to have.
Thought I would give my best 22 a crack!

Backs:

Saad Hurley Francis
McKenna Hooker Dea

Midfield:

McGrath Shiel Zaharakis

Forwards:

Fantasia Daniher Laverde
Smith Stringer McDonald-Tipungwuti

Followers:

Bellchambers, Heppell, Merrett

Interchange:

Myers, Langford, McKernan, Parish

Begley is close, probably fighting with Parish for the final bench spot. Can hit the score board, bigger body and also really good overhead.
Dont really see Mitch Brown playing much AFL this season.
Gleeson again, fighting for a spot with Dea.
James Stewart, cant see him getting a game ahead of any of our forwards.
Redman is a strong chance, really rated him last year, just depends on his injury.
McNiece is a strong small defender, suspect he will come in the side to play a role on specific players.
Hartley is an extremely good back up for Hurley or Hooker, confident in him to fill the void.
Guelfi again, impressed with him, has good attack on the ball, has good hops, will play AFL football at some stage during the season, no doubt.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Been keeping an eye on this thread for a week or so, its clear we are going to have great depth. Which is always a good problem to have.
Thought I would give my best 22 a crack!

Backs:

Saad Hurley Francis
McKenna Hooker Dea

Midfield:

McGrath Shiel Zaharakis

Forwards:

Fantasia Daniher Laverde
Smith Stringer McDonald-Tipungwuti

Followers:

Bellchambers, Heppell, Merrett

Interchange:

Myers, Langford, McKernan, Parish

Begley is close, probably fighting with Parish for the final bench spot. Can hit the score board, bigger body and also really good overhead.
Dont really see Mitch Brown playing much AFL this season.
Gleeson again, fighting for a spot with Dea.
James Stewart, cant see him getting a game ahead of any of our forwards.
Redman is a strong chance, really rated him last year, just depends on his injury.
McNiece is a strong small defender, suspect he will come in the side to play a role on specific players.
Hartley is an extremely good back up for Hurley or Hooker, confident in him to fill the void.
Guelfi again, impressed with him, has good attack on the ball, has good hops, will play AFL football at some stage during the season, no doubt.

Can’t see Dea playing R1 unless we have some kind of preseason injury run.

Think you’ve got

Hurley
Hooker
Francis
Saad
McKenna

As your 5 locks in defence.

Gleeson
Redman*
Ridley

As your next three.

Ambrose as a negator might get a role, but think we’ll see Gleeson or Ridley we first options it fit, Ambrose to come in for a Francis / Hurley / Hooker.

Hartley is really only a Hooker backup I’d think.

Dea played a bit this year because we had Ambrose, Gleeson, Redman, Ridley all injured at once, with Francis untried.

McKenna / Ridley / Gleeson / Redman could all move up the field more and play as part of a 7 man rebounding defensive unit, whilst Ambrose and Dea are negating type players.

Definitely not a part of the field that will allow players to be passengers as long as the guys in the VFL are performing!

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
B: Gleeson Hooker Francis
HB: Saad Hurley McKenna
C: Zaka Heppell McGrath
HF: Smith Daniher Fantasia
F: Walla Smack Stringer
Ru: T-bell Shiel Zerrett
Int: Parish Langford Myers Guelfi

Pretty much picks itself apart from:

Smack is a better chop out ruck than stewart, and allows daniher to play forward full time coming back from OP.

Gleeson, provided he is fit, is almost a lock as a defender. He was this time last year and provided the injury is ok he plays. If not Ridley steps in.

I like Guelfi, he was solid this year and was a contributor forward, back and on the wing. Versatility like that is important when you consider the chances of mid game injuries or strategic adjustments.

Last edited:
Back