Preview Best 22, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

So he was on track for a 30 goal season and that's poor?
He tackles, competes in the air and provides run an carry.
11.5 disposals, 2.2 tackles and 3.3 marks a game - I don't think he does any of that especially well. He has the odd very good game like West Coast in rd 22, but otherwise I think he's underwhelming and wouldn't get a game at quite a few clubs.

Garlett kicked 18 goals in 11 games and was on track for 36 this season - and we all unanimously agree he had a bad year.

11.5 disposals, 2.2 tackles and 3.3 marks a game - I don't think he does any of that especially well. He has the odd very good game like West Coast in rd 22, but otherwise I think he's underwhelming and wouldn't get a game at quite a few clubs.

Garlett kicked 18 goals in 11 games and was on track for 36 this season - and we all unanimously agree he had a bad year.

Yeah it's tough being a small forward when your tall target doesn't compete in the air or chase on the ground, you can be chasing grass trying to cover.
Melksham isn't exactly a forward pressure monster either So our blokes have to cover both of those.

Hannans year was a 5/10. Poor is a bit strong.

Yeah it's tough being a small forward when your tall target doesn't compete in the air or chase on the ground, you can be chasing grass trying to cover.
Melksham isn't exactly a forward pressure monster either So our blokes have to cover both of those.

Hannans year was a 5/10. Poor is a bit strong.

I’m impressed that you’ve managed to bring this back to Hogan. His ground level pressure is crap, but he certainly brought the ball to ground this year - we just constantly let it fall into the hands of opposition defenders because nobody waits at ground level. Hannan is particularly annoying because his first instinct is to fly at the ball rather than wait for it to hit the desk. Your analysis is especially strange given we have two tall targets, with Tommy kicking more goals than Hogan. Garlett has never had trouble feeding off him in the past. Not many tall forwards are brilliant at ground level, but it doesn’t hurt the guys willing to lay tackles like Charlie Cameron.

Also fun fact, Hannan kicked 15 in 9 against top 12 opposition slightly better than Hogan.

If he fluffed his stats in 100 point wins like Hogan he would have kicked 35-40 for the season as well.
Yeah this isn't how statistics work

Yeah this isn't how statistics work
If Hannan had kicked 60 he would kick 60. Probably 80+ if Hogan's ruckwork wasn't so shoddy. Look it up, its called science.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised you haven't suggested Hogan plays in the ruck so we can have an extra midfielder
I would suggest Hogan plays in the ruck, but he'd win all the taps and the ball would spend all game in our forward half. It wouldn't be fair to move Hannan to full back to make room for May in the forward pocket and then not let him test himself against the gorilla forwards.

This is abit hard but at the moment, if the trades go our way

Hibbo, O-Mac, May
Jetta, Lever, Salem
Jones, Harmes, Lewis
Petracca, Weideman, Melksham
Spargo, T-Mac, ANB
Gawn, Viney, Oliver

Pruest, brayshaw, Hunt, KK

This is abit hard but at the moment, if the trades go our way

Hibbo, O-Mac, May
Jetta, Lever, Salem
Jones, Harmes, Lewis
Petracca, Weideman, Melksham
Spargo, T-Mac, ANB
Gawn, Viney, Oliver

Pruest, brayshaw, Hunt, KK
Soon we'll all be In Search of Lost Time - wondering why we bothered with these hypotheticals when it turns out the rumours aren't true.

Assuming Hogan, VDB and Tyson go, KK, May and Preuss come in.

FB: Lever, OMac/Frost, Jetta
HB: Salem, May, Hibberd
C: Brayshaw, Viney, KK
HF: Melksham, Weideman, Fritsch
FF: Spargo, TMac, Petracca
R: Gawn, Oliver, Harmes
I/C: Jones, Lewis, Preuss, ANB

Can't make up my mind on who I'd prefer out of OMac/Frost, OMac is much more predictable and reliable with ball in hand/in the air but Frost can give you that matchwinning defensive act or run from D50. Fritsch moves back to wing/forward where he is a much more damaging player (No more Fritsch in D50 please) and whilst I love Mitchy Hannan Fritsch is a superior footballer. KK/Stretch/Baker all fight it out for that outside run role which is an obvious weakness, ideally I'd like another player of that ilk in the trade period but we haven't been linked with anyone so looks unlikely.

I think we've told Preuss that he will play quite a bit with Gawn, it'll enable us to rest Max forward a lot more and in general look after his body. Club knows Gawn is a generational player and it can't afford to run him into the ground, if we look after Maxy he could play well into his 30s.

It is a bit of a low hanging fruit call but I reckon halfway through next year we'll be bemoaning Lewis and Jones in the same side much like we did Lewis and Vince. Can't see Jordan playing beyond 2019, I'll be very intrigued to see if we continue to guarantee him a spot or his selection is now purely form based. Don't think he'd take kindly to being dropped back to the VFL, will be a good test of the match committee (Obviously if Lewis is playing good footy he plays every week).

FB: Lever, OMac/Frost, Jetta
HB: Salem, May, Hibberd
C: Brayshaw, Viney, KK
HF: Melksham, Weideman, Fritsch
FF: Spargo, TMac, Petracca
R: Gawn, Oliver, Harmes
I/C: Jones, Lewis, Preuss, ANB
Wow that's a slow bench. Reading that puts me already in the mind of can't play Jones and Lewis in the same team. We needed them for their cooler heads and experience. Our team has some of that experience now after 3 finals and learning how to win closer games. It may be time to rotate them through.

Wow that's a slow bench. Reading that puts me already in the mind of can't play Jones and Lewis in the same team. We needed them for their cooler heads and experience. Our team has some of that experience now after 3 finals and learning how to win closer games. It may be time to rotate them through.

Agree the bench worries me but I can’t think of how else we line up in round 1.

Agree the bench worries me but I can’t think of how else we line up in round 1.
Its a very slow bench. I'm pinning my hopes on trading and drafting unknown. We can't have delisted so many players without some kind of idea worked out in advance about who we bring in (or at least, I hope that's the case).

Kolojashnij and Fritsch on the wings, unless we somehow land another gun outside winger who we haven't been linked too yet.
Joel Smith and Jayden Hunt competing for 1 spot I think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back