C: Fritsch Brayshaw Salem
HF: Petracca Weideman Melksham
FF: Spargo McDonald Neal-Bullen
R: Gawn Viney Oliver
IC: Jones Hannan AVB Kolodjashnij
Did Harmes run over your cat?

HF: vandenBerg McDonald Melksham
FF: Petracca Weideman Hannan
That would leave all our forwards at over 1.85 o_O. Spargo has to play unless Jeffy has a revival.

Frost would be the quickest player in that team. We really lack pace - Frost is versatile enough to take a smaller forward.
He's versatile enough, but will he do it well? I suspect not. Even more importantly, will he be able to resist the temptation to fly for balls that he can't reach and/or try and burn a small forward that can actually catch him? I love Frosty, and he will start in the team with Lever still out, but who knows from there.

Here’s my attempt. Really torn on Frost vs OMac as the third tall defender once Lever’s back. Also assuming they recruited Preuss to play him so he’s in my team even though I think he needs to prove himself a capable ruck/fwd.

IMG_6524.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's versatile enough, but will he do it well? I suspect not. Even more importantly, will he be able to resist the temptation to fly for balls that he can't reach and/or try and burn a small forward that can actually catch him? I love Frosty, and he will start in the team with Lever still out, but who knows from there.

Jetta gets the out and out small forward. If there's two, next would be Hibberd. Frost will be fine on a 3rd or 4th forward - absolute best result for him.

Frost gets criticized for his footy smarts, but he showed a lot of improvement when he came into the side late in the season. It's entirely possible he'll go back to being rubbishly mad / madly rubbish, but if he doesn't regress, then he's capable of doing a decent job defensively as well as providing some run out of the backline.

Fly for balls he can't reach? Yes, might do. Try and burn a small forward and get tackled? He'll probably do that, too. He makes mistakes, but so do all of our players. Frost's just tend to be a lot more spectacular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL media has has a crack: http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-20/your-clubs-best-22-for-2019

B: Oscar McDonald, Steven May, Neville Jetta
HB: Christian Salem, Jake Lever, Michael Hibberd
C: James Harmes, Jack Viney, Kade Kolodjashnij
HF: Alex Neal-Bullen, Sam Weideman, Jake Melksham
F: Charlie Spargo, Tom McDonald, Christian Petracca
FOLL: Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Angus Brayshaw
I
/C: Nathan Jones, Aaron vandenBerg, Jordan Lewis, Mitch Hannan

Besides the glaringly obvious omission of Fritsch, I think it’s pretty close.

I'd have your cat in the forward pocket. Natural predator.
In his prime he’d have been handy, but sadly like a lot of us he’s pulled the rip cord.
AFL media has has a crack: http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-20/your-clubs-best-22-for-2019

B: Oscar McDonald, Steven May, Neville Jetta
HB: Christian Salem, Jake Lever, Michael Hibberd
C: James Harmes, Jack Viney, Kade Kolodjashnij
HF: Alex Neal-Bullen, Sam Weideman, Jake Melksham
F: Charlie Spargo, Tom McDonald, Christian Petracca
FOLL: Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Angus Brayshaw
I
/C: Nathan Jones, Aaron vandenBerg, Jordan Lewis, Mitch Hannan

Besides the glaringly obvious omission of Fritsch, I think it’s pretty close.
I think it comes down to Fritta or Hannan if KK is fit.

That would leave all our forwards at over 1.85 o_O. Spargo has to play unless Jeffy has a revival.
I’ve got ANB and Spargo on the bench, so they’ll both rotate through that forward line.

Despite his height, Hannan is a genuine crumber (who can also fly). He kicks more goals from scrambled half chances than anybody on our list.

Does anyone think Chunk can play forward pocket?

Lower centre of gravity than the latter two. We need pressure there

Slower than Hannan and much less dynamic than Petracca. More to tackling and chasing than how tall someone is. I'm sure Chunk can put the effort in, but I don't think we need a purely defensive forward.

Jetta. May. Hibberd
Hunt. Frost. Lever
Salem. Oliver. KK
Trac. TMac. Fritsch
Melksham. Weid. Spargo
Gawn. Brayshaw Viney
Jones. Harmes. Vanders. Lewis

Slower than Hannan and much less dynamic than Petracca. More to tackling and chasing than how tall someone is. I'm sure Chunk can put the effort in, but I don't think we need a purely defensive forward.
Fairo I was trying to gauge how we rate Jonesy’s goalkicking. Not high enough to put him in the forward pocket by the looks of it.

I actually think a Spargo has a few tricks he hasn’t showed us yet but I definitely want another pressure forward in there.

Honestly not even sure how Jonesy will go next year. Petracca and Salem should go through the guts before Chunk next season IMO

Fairo I was trying to gauge how we rate Jonesy’s goalkicking. Not high enough to put him in the forward pocket by the looks of it.

I actually think a Spargo has a few tricks he hasn’t showed us yet but I definitely want another pressure forward in there.

Honestly not even sure how Jonesy will go next year. Petracca and Salem should go through the guts before Chunk next season IMO

He wouldn't be useless and he is good for the odd goal here and there, but there are better options available. Spargo, Hannan and Petracca already mentioned, plus Milkshakes, VDB and Fritsch play or rotate through there. If someone knows how to unlock Garlett's head and flick that switch that makes him an interested, contributing member of the side, he'd be miles ahead, too. Lewis is a beautiful set shot for goal, but he's also slow as buggery. I can't see Jones getting off the wing unless we have injuries in the middle, or they decide to play him on the half back flank again. Salem is much preferred there as Chunk isn't much chop overhead.

He's definitely getting close to the fringes of the team. If we're playing both Jones and Lewis every week next season, I'd be quite surprised (and disappointed). And by that I mean I hope Lewis gets phased out of the side.

He wouldn't be useless and he is good for the odd goal here and there, but there are better options available. Spargo, Hannan and Petracca already mentioned, plus Milkshakes, VDB and Fritsch play or rotate through there. If someone knows how to unlock Garlett's head and flick that switch that makes him an interested, contributing member of the side, he'd be miles ahead, too. Lewis is a beautiful set shot for goal, but he's also slow as buggery. I can't see Jones getting off the wing unless we have injuries in the middle, or they decide to play him on the half back flank again. Salem is much preferred there as Chunk isn't much chop overhead.

He's definitely getting close to the fringes of the team. If we're playing both Jones and Lewis every week next season, I'd be quite surprised (and disappointed). And by that I mean I hope Lewis gets phased out of the side.
I just can’t see what Lewis brings that Fritsch can’t down back or up forward tbh. Would be very disappointed to see him play 20+ next year.

Really really want Stretch to get a run of games on the wing. He’s by far our most natural winger

I just can’t see what Lewis brings that Fritsch can’t down back or up forward tbh. Would be very disappointed to see him play 20+ next year.

Really really want Stretch to get a run of games on the wing. He’s by far our most natural winger

Funny one, Stretch. Looked like he would have been a very good option on the wing early doors, then didn't seem to progress far, plus his time in the middle in the VFL meant he seemed to be trying to play a bit of an inside role as well, which we don't need him to do. Says a lot though that Tyson was getting a game ahead of him on the wing. I haven't written Stretch off yet, but I don't think he'll make it with us. By all reports the work ethic and professionalism are there, but he still seems a long way from getting a regular game in the side. Needs to do something next season or move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back