Best 22 2019

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
hey guys was wondering what type of role did Ward play this year?

Was he pushed out to a wing/outside wing this year with Hopper/Cogs/Taranto/Shiel in the middle?

Is he likely to play more as an on-baller next year?
Shiel and Kelly were pushed outside last year to compensate for the loss of Scully, and Whitfield playing back to cover Williams.

Hard to imagine Ward anywhere but in the middle of the packs, forward at times in some rotations though.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Don’t underestimate how important it is for the north-eastern clubs to have a good age spread so they never bottom out. The AFL need the two Sydney clubs in finals every year.

Ryand

Draftee
Jan 29, 2010
Kk
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With Shiel and co gone any possibility of Toby getting a go in the guts? Beast he is. Would give ward and conigs a chop...

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
With Shiel and co gone any possibility of Toby getting a go in the guts? Beast he is. Would give ward and conigs a chop...
Very likely.
He often has in the past. Not so much last year, possibly because he missed so much footy and never really had the match fitness.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/gw...w/news-story/98fdf2a13148a6e62abfca46f1333cb8

84967080c078a5bb3e9eba4109969040.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
It will be interesting to see how the draftees progress and I think the first 4 are all highly likely to see senior game time during the coming season and it will just come down to how they go fitness and injury wise to determine how many. Two of the recent draftees in Hopper (10) and Taranto (14) games played in their first year so I could see them all hoping for something like that but it is also that the club is now experienced around the park to play 1-2 1st year players per week where as I would say in Whitfield and Kellys first years it would have been harder with the lack of experience although with the sub role the interchange strategy was different.
Did anyone see from the McConnell cup video on the club website who the higher finishes were? Most of the squad looked to be running which is good to see and hopefully pretty much everyone will be on the track in January when they come back

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
While I realise that it's not simply a case of replacing a departing player with a similar player (and especially because Leon tends to select the best players and work out positions afterwards), Shiel's departure surely opens up a spot for an inside/outside midfielder to some extent. Taranto could specifically fill the role, in which case it would shift slightly to a midfielder/forward - but largely the same players would be in the mix for both roles (not really being that different). So, both Bonar and Shipley from last year's draft crop, and Hately, Caldwell & O'Halloran from this year's certainly have something to focus on during their pre-season preparation. Caldwell for mine is the closest like-for-like replacement for Shiel, so if he is injury free and can show his best at training, he could certainly grab a spot early. If so, you'd think he'd get rested at some point due to his U18 injury history, so there would certainly be chances for others. Bonar, if he can get his tank up a bit, is a big chance I think for that forward/midfield role - could be devastating bursting out of centre clearances - and showed in 2018 that he can take a good grab forward. Hately a solid chance - probably not so much x-factor but a more solid (and durable) player - to get that early nod. We do really need one or two of these guys to really show something in 2019 to drive the team forward rather than stagnate (which would see us drift backwards).

It will be interesting to see how the draftees progress and I think the first 4 are all highly likely to see senior game time during the coming season and it will just come down to how they go fitness and injury wise to determine how many. Two of the recent draftees in Hopper (10) and Taranto (14) games played in their first year so I could see them all hoping for something like that but it is also that the club is now experienced around the park to play 1-2 1st year players per week where as I would say in Whitfield and Kellys first years it would have been harder with the lack of experience although with the sub role the interchange strategy was different.
Did anyone see from the McConnell cup video on the club website who the higher finishes were? Most of the squad looked to be running which is good to see and hopefully pretty much everyone will be on the track in January when they come back
From the comments I took it that Hately finished 2nd but that was about it, and the only handicap I recall specifically mentioned was Tommos 60 second one vs Hills scratch start

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
While I realise that it's not simply a case of replacing a departing player with a similar player (and especially because Leon tends to select the best players and work out positions afterwards), Shiel's departure surely opens up a spot for an inside/outside midfielder to some extent. Taranto could specifically fill the role, in which case it would shift slightly to a midfielder/forward - but largely the same players would be in the mix for both roles (not really being that different). So, both Bonar and Shipley from last year's draft crop, and Hately, Caldwell & O'Halloran from this year's certainly have something to focus on during their pre-season preparation. Caldwell for mine is the closest like-for-like replacement for Shiel, so if he is injury free and can show his best at training, he could certainly grab a spot early. If so, you'd think he'd get rested at some point due to his U18 injury history, so there would certainly be chances for others. Bonar, if he can get his tank up a bit, is a big chance I think for that forward/midfield role - could be devastating bursting out of centre clearances - and showed in 2018 that he can take a good grab forward. Hately a solid chance - probably not so much x-factor but a more solid (and durable) player - to get that early nod. We do really need one or two of these guys to really show something in 2019 to drive the team forward rather than stagnate (which would see us drift backwards).
I think the problem for the first year players is Bonar, Daniels, Perryman Cumming and Shipley are currently on the outside pushing as well.

It's possible they'll push their way in, but it wont be easy. Thete'll be stages in the season that we'll need to fill holes though.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I think the problem for the first year players is Bonar, Daniels, Perryman, Cumming and Shipley are currently on the outside pushing as well. It's possible they'll push their way in, but it wont be easy.
Yes, exactly. However, if one of the first year players is good enough, then they'll push themselves above the others and get a spot. And that's what they want; and we fans too - because it will signify they're pretty damn good.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Looked like Hately, Whitfield, then Keeffe, and couldn't identify after that.

I think from memory Keefe placed in the 2k when the senior players ran so he must have a good tank after 10 years around the AFL system
And good to see Hately perform well and I would have thought O’Halloran would have been up there as he performed well at the combine

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think from memory Keefe placed in the 2k when the senior players ran so he must have a good tank after 10 years around the AFL system
And good to see Hately perform well and I would have thought O’Halloran would have been up there as he performed well at the combine
As Tommo alluded to some guesswork in the handicapping of the new guys. It was 4k as well.
:moustache: doing well at the combine might have earnt him a spot further back.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Some thoughts on the make up of the 22
I could see Reid in the best 22 for the first part of the season and likely after the bye players like Perryman and Bonar are in front of him
I can see one of Taylor or Cumming in the 22 and then Buntine the next in line but I think they would be reluctant to play both Cumming and Taylor in the same 22 unless they are both performing above expectations. I think Cumming needs another year developing but hopefully he can get at least 5 games under his belt. Although they are different players I can see Bonar and Daniels in competition for a spot in the 22 although I prefer Bonar for what i have seen of him i think he is more dangerous
it will be interesting to see where TOJ plays over the preseason as whether he has the skills to be that utility like Tomlinson to play back, forward and wing but I think he would benefit more from playing in the one position
I hope they stick with Sheridan on the wing as again the one position will suit him better as he needs to develop the teamwork with all new teammates but he would be a good mid rotation player but again we will need to see how he goes over preseason to know where he fits in the 22

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Some thoughts on the make up of the 22
I could see Reid in the best 22 for the first part of the season and likely after the bye players like Perryman and Bonar are in front of him
I can see one of Taylor or Cumming in the 22 and then Buntine the next in line but I think they would be reluctant to play both Cumming and Taylor in the same 22 unless they are both performing above expectations. I think Cumming needs another year developing but hopefully he can get at least 5 games under his belt. Although they are different players I can see Bonar and Daniels in competition for a spot in the 22 although I prefer Bonar for what i have seen of him i think he is more dangerous
it will be interesting to see where TOJ plays over the preseason as whether he has the skills to be that utility like Tomlinson to play back, forward and wing but I think he would benefit more from playing in the one position
I hope they stick with Sheridan on the wing as again the one position will suit him better as he needs to develop the teamwork with all new teammates but he would be a good mid rotation player but again we will need to see how he goes over preseason to know where he fits in the 22
Sheridan is interesting and I dont think we'll know where he stands in the pecking order until the second JLT game. That's usually probables. Likely the coaches dont really know until after the off-season training.

I think William's, Whitfield and Kenners are definitely in front of him as outside runners, and should be seen as competing with him.

Depending on the preferred configuration in the midfield Kelly and Taranto might be competing there. We might want to move one or both of them more inside though.

If Bonar plays midfield that could influence the decision.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Sheridan is interesting and I dont think we'll know where he stands in the pecking order until the second JLT game. That's usually probables. Likely the coaches dont really know until after the off-season training.

I think William's, Whitfield and Kenners are definitely in front of him as outside runners, and should be seen as competing with him.

Depending on the preferred configuration in the midfield Kelly and Taranto might be competing there. We might want to move one or both of them more inside though.

If Bonar plays midfield that could influence the decision.

Yes a lot to happen until we have an idea of the teams make up for rd 1 but I see Williams and Kennedy as HBFers then Whitfield and Tomlinson as wingers with Kelly and Deledio the others likely to feature with significant game time on the outside from my best 22. Several others will be inline for time on the wings but if any of those players above are moved around then opportunities will present
I think Taranto will rotate between forward and playing around the ball but primarily as a mid, Kelly similar but maybe more outside time

Back