Quaynor Roughead Langdon
Howe Moore Pendlebury
WHE Adams Crisp
JDG Mihocek Stevenson
Cox Elliot Sidebottom

Grundy Maynard Treloar

Sier, Murphy, T. Brown, JT.
Beams??? if/when available

Left field ideas/ New Roles >>> Phillips @ Small forward (he finds the footy wherever he is and he can kick goals...handy half forward)
Noble @ rover in place of Treloar (has smarts and speed, kicks the ball ok as well)
Appleby @ tagger (Give Greenwood all year coaching him how)
Wilson @
Depth: Mayne, Reid, Varcoe, Cal Brown, Daicos, Kelly, Keane, Dunn, Tohill

Long Term Injury list: Greenwood

Retire: Wells, Goldsack (Shoulda been Reid)

Delist: Murray, Crocker, Madgen,

Trade or at least attempt to find new homes for: Shazz, Aish, Wills, Lynch (these guys are surplus to needs as it stands) Appleby is another but he might be "new roleable"

That’s hard on Aish, Wills. They played in the prelim and now they’re surplus!

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
That’s why I used “that small”.Not sure I’d be playing him on Rioli

Which one?

I'd play him on Daniel. Not so much on Willie.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Imo

Maynard Roughead Langdon
Crisp Howard Howe

Grundy Adams Treloar
Stephenson Pendlebury Scharenberg

Sidebottom Moore Beams
Elliot Mihocek DeGoey

Sier/Wills Aish Cox/Cameron Bonar

Not sure how the Howard and Bonar deals would get done, I'd look at moving Phillips for one of them, while maybe offering JT and Wills to the GC club could net us something worth moving on to secure the other deal. As mentioned I'm not to sure on their currency, so maybe someone more trade focused could advise.

I know Phillips has his fan boys on here, including myself, however of the assests we have that are expendable I think he has the most currency. Also his disposal lets him down to often for my liking, and id prefer Shaz's more reliable kicking over Phillips gut running ability.

I'd like to see Stevo out on a wing more using his pace, and have him, Steele, Beams and JDG (as well as Bonar) all rotate through mid-deep forward and through the middle.

One of of Cox or D.Cameron I think will be important as we rotate Grundy/Moore through the ruck and forward positions respectively.

The only other change I would make is I'd allow JDG the freedom we've seen Dusty have, letting him rotate between MID/FWD freely. Makes him and our setup unpredictable to the opposition.

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
I think we need to be realistic and not include Langdon and Beams in our “best” team. Alternatively better off selecting the team that will get it done for majority of the season.

B: Crisp. Roughie.....IQ
HB: Howe. Moore. Maynard
C: Mayne Adams. Steelo
Hf: Checkers. BLANK. WHE
F: Stevo. BLANK. De Goey
R: Grundy. Pendles, Treloar

Bench - Brown x2, BLANK, BLANK

Not included - Beams, Langdon, Cox, Elliott (until he commits)

So for mine there are two spots up forward that need to be addressed in the trade period. I would also like a pact small forward to compliment our current mix. I also think Checkers needs to be under pressure to hold his spot. He should not be a walk up start.

Last edited:

4#Didak#4

Premiership Player
May 21, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Forwards
Elliott Cox (r2) Stephenson (M) Sidebottom (M) Mihochek Reid (B) Thomas Varcoe C Brown Daicos

Mid
Treloar Pendlebury Grundy (r1) JDG (F) Beams Crisp (B)Adams Phillips Wills T Brown Sier

Back
Langdon Howe Moore (F) Maynard Roughead Murphy Quaynor Kelly Murray Noble Scharenberg

Utility
WHE Mayne Aish Greenwood Crocker

I am moving away from best 22s to best squads. Let’s face it when was the last time we fielded our best 22? So I am starting with pre trade squads.

Some key things must happen next year. I think DeGoey and Crisp need to move primarily into the middle to provide some grunt and class. Wills and Sier have potential to fill that role but not with that class which makes one perhaps expendable this trade period. Crisp can be covered down back we have plenty, DeGoey up forward less so which makes Elliot essential.

We have great depth that’s our strength and why we have made it so far with so many injuries.

We have quite a few floating players like Aish Greenwood and Mayne who normally you wouldn’t see a need for but they fill gaps that appear.

I would keep Murray as we need some speed and IQ I am excited about coming off HB.

I want to see Sidey playing forward I think he can gel the fwds and provide creativity and connection.

Beams remains a huge concern. He is an A grader or nothing and you kind of need to know what he can offer in 2020 before you trade a Sier etc

Our backline is going to be fine our Mids also but our forward Line is really where concern lies and where our recruiting and trading needs to concentrate on especially if Elliot goes.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Liking the creative, imaginative, “food for thought” options and positional tweeks and changes being thrown up.
I think this approach is where we’ll see the most improvement along with the development of Murphy, Wilson, Quaynor, Noble etc.
We are not far off being a very, very good side.
Hope our footy department is doing the same and having a fresh look like many of posters above.

jsdsgn

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lakers
re-thinking this and i might just fill in the team based on who will definitely be there

FB Scharenberg Roughead Langdon
HB Howe Moore Quaynor

C Crisp Adams Treloar
R Grundy Pendlebury Maynard

HF Sidebottom Mihocek Beams
FF Stephenson ---- Elliott

Int ----- Thomas ----- -----

• I truly see Schaz as best 22. Reminds me of Scarlett / Clement. Maynard and Crisp into the midfield next year is many people's views so Scharenberg is someone ready-made who slots into the backline. Quaynor replaces Crisp as the runner off half back. He reminds me of HarryO. And not just appearance. (Difference is HarryO could play tall or small.)
  • We need a KPF and I dont think that need is filled by Darcy Cameron, Josh Jenkins or Mason Cox. We need a good KPF who we know will kick 45+ goals next year. Example is Josh Bruce.
  • Its hard to narrow down the 3 bench spots. Phillips, Mayne are best candidates and i like Mayne a lot, but WHE and Sier have cases. Cox and D Cameron will likely be the backup ruck but i dont see a spot for them in a best 22. The team needs another inside bull but i think Maynard can be that. I really think Josh Thomas is an essential part of this team. Hes the one that steps up when all our other forwards are playing poorly, saved our asses many times last year and nearly won us the prelim off his own boot.
  • I dont know enough about Nathan Murphy and i question whether he will have huge impact next year like many are suggesting.
  • I see Wills, Aish, Varcoe, Reid, Cal Brown as the depth players
  • Tyler Brown and Will Kelly are two players who have to debut next year
  • Daicos, Noble, Crocker, Broomhead and Appleby i unfortunately just dont see in our plans. Daicos i rate though and i think he can provide solid depth.

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Big issue in 2019 is that we really didn't 'uncover' any players.

Quaynor was ok, but still needs time, Callum Brown/Josh Daicos will both never make it, Sier went backwards & jury is out on Noble.

Maybe Wills as an inside mid at a stretch was some sort of find, but we'll need to unearth something/someone in the next 6 months for us to make progress.

Pretty much, compare it to last year....
Mihocek now even features on Milo tins these days!

Need to uncover more players or this team will do a St Kilda of the 2009s/2010s pretty quickly.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
B: Jeremy Howe - Jordan Roughead - Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Brayden Maynard
C: Adam Treloar - Scott Pendlebury (C) - Tom Phillips
HF: Jamie Elliott - Brody Mihocek - Steele Sidebottom
F: Jaidyn Stephenson - Mason Cox - Dayne Beams
R: Brodie Grundy - Taylor Adams (VC) - Jordan De Goey
I: Matthew Scharenberg - James Aish - Will Hoskin-Elliott - Callum Brown

E: Chris Mayne - Brayden Sier - Josh Thomas - John Noble

Unavailable: Levi Greenwood

The obvious standout is the lack of a second key forward. Mihocek has too much work on his shoulders as a second tall forward, and I just don't think we can win a flag with he and Cox as our tall targets. Furthermore, I think the re-signings of Reid and Varcoe further set back our chances due to their constant lack of on field presence.

Anyway, I'll type some things I am optimistic or hope to be optimistic about:
- James Aish as handy as he is as a small defender, I'd love to see him play wing/half-forward more like he did early in 2018 before his PCL injury. I also recall him playing a lot of footy in the guts in our upset win against West Coast in Perth this year, so I think he can be utilised in a few roles.
- Jordan De Goey should play his role in a mid/forward 80/20 split - he's a very good forward but no mid of ours can break open a game in the middle like he does. Outstanding second half performances in midfield from Jordy won us games against Carlton and West Coast. He's obviously a really good forward but his output in midfield would be twice as good, particularly if Elliott is playing the lead-up forward role instead.
- Hoskin-Elliott to play deeper as a forward like he did in early 2018. I'm not sure why he continues to be shoved up to HFF/wing, he's not good there. I reckon Jamie does his best work at half-forward, and Will does his best work near the goals.
- With De Goey in the middle, I also wanna see Maynard contest centre bounces. Those two are fierce, brutal units and with Pendlebury and Grundy's class around them, I think we'd win a hell of a lot more clearances than we do.
- Presuming he returns to footy, Beams should be played forward - he's a sizey, powerful unit like De Goey who could prove a scary match-up for mid-sized defenders. Sidebottom likewise has become too liable defensively in midfield, I thought his best footy was played when he hit the forward 50 more.

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
B: Jeremy Howe - Jordan Roughead - Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Brayden Maynard
C: Adam Treloar - Scott Pendlebury (C) - Tom Phillips
HF: Jamie Elliott - Brody Mihocek - Steele Sidebottom
F: Jaidyn Stephenson - Mason Cox - Dayne Beams
R: Brodie Grundy - Taylor Adams (VC) - Jordan De Goey
I: Matthew Scharenberg - James Aish - Will Hoskin-Elliott - Callum Brown

E: Chris Mayne - Brayden Sier - Josh Thomas - John Noble

Unavailable: Levi Greenwood

The obvious standout is the lack of a second key forward. Mihocek has too much work on his shoulders as a second tall forward, and I just don't think we can win a flag with he and Cox as our tall targets. Furthermore, I think the re-signings of Reid and Varcoe further set back our chances due to their constant lack of on field presence.

Anyway, I'll type some things I am optimistic or hope to be optimistic about:
- James Aish as handy as he is as a small defender, I'd love to see him play wing/half-forward more like he did early in 2018 before his PCL injury. I also recall him playing a lot of footy in the guts in our upset win against West Coast in Perth this year, so I think he can be utilised in a few roles.
- Jordan De Goey should play his role in a mid/forward 80/20 split - he's a very good forward but no mid of ours can break open a game in the middle like he does. Outstanding second half performances in midfield from Jordy won us games against Carlton and West Coast. He's obviously a really good forward but his output in midfield would be twice as good, particularly if Elliott is playing the lead-up forward role instead.
- Hoskin-Elliott to play deeper as a forward like he did in early 2018. I'm not sure why he continues to be shoved up to HFF/wing, he's not good there. I reckon Jamie does his best work at half-forward, and Will does his best work near the goals.
- With De Goey in the middle, I also wanna see Maynard contest centre bounces. Those two are fierce, brutal units and with Pendlebury and Grundy's class around them, I think we'd win a hell of a lot more clearances than we do.
- Presuming he returns to footy, Beams should be played forward - he's a sizey, powerful unit like De Goey who could prove a scary match-up for mid-sized defenders. Sidebottom likewise has become too liable defensively in midfield, I thought his best footy was played when he hit the forward 50 more.

We need help - internal improvement will not be enough.

Hopefully trying to offload Cox is the first sign that Ned Guy is rolling up the sleeves and getting down to business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melaniej

Team Captain
May 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
re-thinking this and i might just fill in the team based on who will definitely be there

FB Scharenberg Roughead Langdon
HB Howe Moore Quaynor

C Crisp Adams Treloar
R Grundy Pendlebury Maynard

HF Sidebottom Mihocek Beams
FF Stephenson ---- Elliott

Int ----- Thomas ----- -----

• I truly see Schaz as best 22. Reminds me of Scarlett / Clement. Maynard and Crisp into the midfield next year is many people's views so Scharenberg is someone ready-made who slots into the backline. Quaynor replaces Crisp as the runner off half back. He reminds me of HarryO. And not just appearance. (Difference is HarryO could play tall or small.)
  • We need a KPF and I dont think that need is filled by Darcy Cameron, Josh Jenkins or Mason Cox. We need a good KPF who we know will kick 45+ goals next year. Example is Josh Bruce.
  • Its hard to narrow down the 3 bench spots. Phillips, Mayne are best candidates and i like Mayne a lot, but WHE and Sier have cases. Cox and D Cameron will likely be the backup ruck but i dont see a spot for them in a best 22. The team needs another inside bull but i think Maynard can be that. I really think Josh Thomas is an essential part of this team. Hes the one that steps up when all our other forwards are playing poorly, saved our asses many times last year and nearly won us the prelim off his own boot.
  • I dont know enough about Nathan Murphy and i question whether he will have huge impact next year like many are suggesting.
  • I see Wills, Aish, Varcoe, Reid, Cal Brown as the depth players
  • Tyler Brown and Will Kelly are two players who have to debut next year
  • Daicos, Noble, Crocker, Broomhead and Appleby i unfortunately just dont see in our plans. Daicos i rate though and i think he can provide solid depth.

De Goey?

Agree about Shaz being in our best 22. Would love to see Crisp spend more time in the middle. Wouldn't write Noble off after 5 games.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
We need help - internal improvement will not be enough.

Hopefully trying to offload Cox is the first sign that Ned Guy is rolling up the sleeves and getting down to business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We need forward reinforcements but I don’t think trading Cox is the way to go. Cox has strengths, we just haven’t don’t enough to get the best out of him. We’ve blown an opportunity with Daniher and Bruce crossing clubs but not to us, it is an absolute 100% necessity that we pick up a Cameron/Brown/B.King next off-season or else we’ll have missed another opportunity. Having a mobile, roaming CHF like Daniher or Cameron would give Cox a lot more flexibility with regards to opponents constantly hanging off of him all the time.

And as I’ve said a few times before, the greatest beneficiary is Brody Mihocek whose creativity and run isn’t displayed as often as it should because as the second tall, he just has too much to handle because he’s not a big dude.

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
I do agree to some degree but if Cox is on around the rumoured amount of money then I would still look to trade him.

If we are to retain Cox then I agree re a roaming forward.

However my preference would be trade Cox, get a clunk marking forward, Checkers and maybe Cameron with De Goey, Jamie, Steph and WHE as a supporting cast.

I still think if Ned Guy is bold then maybe something can still happen this trade window. However with the big fish you generally need to have been speaking with player manager for a fair while. Maybe he has?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
There’s two ways to do a team like this for 2020.
Known current players and then “projecting” a few to reach some better heights not currently scaled.

With that in mind:

Collingwood Exposed Know Form:

B. M Scharenberg ~ J Roughead ~ T Langdon
HB. J Howe ~ D Moore ~ J Crisp
C. S Sidebottom ~ A Treloar ~ T Phillips
HF. D Beams ~ J De Goey ~ J Stephenson
F. J Elliott ~ M Cox ~ W Hoskin-Elliott
R. B Grundy ~ S Pendlebury (c) ~ T Adams
I. B Mihocek ~ B Sier ~ C Mayne ~ B Maynard
C. N Buckley

E. J Noble, C Brown, J Thomas, I Quaynor

J Aish (going it seems, R Wills might too)

Collingwood Futures 2020

C. S Sidebottom ~ A Treloar ~ D Beams
HF. J De Goey ~ T Wilson ~ J Stephenson
I. B Mihocek ~ B Sier ~ N Murphy ~ B Maynard
C. N Buckley

E. W Kelly, T Brown, C Brown, I Quaynor

NB: J Jenkins if arrives and T Wilson being a bit dreamy might be that key forward

T Phillips not placed as to speculation but likely stays so he plays for N Murphy.

Captain Embubry

Team Captain
Jan 31, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now that trade period is over ill have a crack... guarantee I've forgotten someone important.

FB: Maynard - Roughead - Langdon
HB: Crisp - Moore - Howe

R: Grundy - Adams - Treloar
C: Sidebottom - Pendlebury - Beams

HF: DeGoey - Mihocek - WHE
FF: Elliott - Cox - Stephenson

INT: Phillips, Sier, Mayne, Scharenberg

EMG: C.Brown, Varcoe, Quaynor, Thomas

Fingers crossed for a healthy list in 2020, a return to form from Phillips, Thomas and Langdon, and a serious spike in development from Stevo, the Browns, IQ, Sier, Scharenberg

Last edited:

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now that trade period is over ill have a crack... guarantee I've forgotten someone important.

C: Sidebottom - Pendlebury - Phillips

INT: Thomas, Sier, Quaynor, Scharenberg

EMG: C.Brown, Varcoe, Reid, T. Brown

Fingers crossed for a healthy list in 2020, a return to form from Phillips, Thomas and Langdon, and a serious spike in development from Stevo, the Browns, IQ, Sier, Scharenberg
Beams?

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus

C: Sidebottom - Pendlebury - Beams

INT: Phillips, Sier, Quaynor, Scharenberg

EMG: C.Brown, Varcoe, Reid, Thomas

I think Thomas plays ahead of Schaz in that team. I doubt we’ll go in with a bench of two mids and two defenders. With Langdon, Howe, Roughead and Moore in the backline it’s already tall enough so I think Scharenberg makes way.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another interesting way to view the list and best 22 is to then list the remaining players as the reserves team.

Gives a nice view point to see how things stack up list wise.

NB: obviously a player or few will be given the pink slip but until we know who then they remain. Three players that look like they may be in the cross hairs I’ve placed on the reserves bench with the Irish boys. But ofcourse who knows who might be departing.

Collingwood

C. S Sidebottom ~ A Treloar ~ T Phillips
HF. D Beams ~ J De Goey ~ J Stephenson
I. B Mihocek ~ B Sier ~ C Mayne ~ B Maynard
C. N Buckley

E. R Wills, C Brown, J Thomas, J Noble

Collingwood II

B. F Appelby ~ L Dunn (c) ~ J Madgen
HB. I Quaynor ~ W Kelly ~ J Noble
C. N Murphy ~ L Greenwood ~ T Varcoe
HF. T Brown ~ T Wilson ~ J Thomas
F. J Daicos ~ B Reid ~ A Bosenavulagi
R. D Cameron ~ R Wills ~ C Brown
I. M Keane ~ A Tohill ~ M Lynch ~ B Crocker ~ T Broomhead
C. G Hocking

Captain Embubry

Team Captain
Jan 31, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Thomas plays ahead of Schaz in that team. I doubt we’ll go in with a bench of two mids and two defenders. With Langdon, Howe, Roughead and Moore in the backline it’s already tall enough so I think Scharenberg makes way.

I get what you're saying. If all of our bigger defenders are healthy i think i'd like to see Moore start to be used as a swing man up forward at times. Having Shaz ahead of Thomas allows that. I think at times this year we were found out by having too many ineffective smalls in the forward line and not enough targets down the line. Too often the ineffective forwards were guys like Thomas, Brown and WHE so it worries me having too many of those types in the forward line.

Back