Quaynor Roughead Howe
Langdon Moore Pendlebury

Grundy Adams Treloar
Beams Maynard Crisp

Elliott Mihocek Stephenson
De Goey Cox Sidebottom

Int:
Sier WHE Phillips Cameron
You can’t play Grundy Cox and Cameron. Grundy doesn’t need a second ruckman off the bench just a forward who can compete for 5 minutes a quarter

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
You can’t play Grundy Cox and Cameron. Grundy doesn’t need a second ruckman off the bench just a forward who can compete for 5 minutes a quarter
They pretty much said that's what they are going to do so we'll see

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
After the trade period wrapped up, I'll go with:

B. Langdon Roughead Howe
HB. Crisp Moore Maynard
C. Phillips Pendlebury Sidebottom
HF. Beams Mihocek Hoskin-Elliott
F. De Goey Cox Elliott
R. Grundy Treloar Adams
I. Stephenson Mayne Quaynor C.Brown
E. Sier Murphy Thomas Scharenberg

Probably should have factored in injuries as we know they'll come, hard selecting when assuming full strength though! This would change a hundred times before we get a sniff of NAB Challenge games too

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
After the trade period wrapped up, I'll go with:

B. Langdon Roughead Howe
HB. Crisp Moore Maynard
C. Phillips Pendlebury Sidebottom
HF. Beams Mihocek Hoskin-Elliott
F. De Goey Cox Elliott
R. Grundy Treloar Adams
I. Stephenson Mayne Quaynor C.Brown
E. Sier Murphy Thomas Scharenberg

Probably should have factored in injuries as we know they'll come, hard selecting when assuming full strength though! This would change a hundred times befire we get a sniff of NAB Challenge games too
think you have nailed it. Thomas/Varcoe/C.Brown is always debatable for me though

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
think you have nailed it. Thomas/Varcoe/C.Brown is always debatable for me though
I'm a Cal Brown fan so went with youth. Thomas will get plenty of games as well I think

I think/hope we see Varcoe and Reid sparingly next year. Bit like 2010 when the older blokes couldn't get a look in during the middle and second half of the year

Would love to have fit Tyler Brown somewhere too, hope he gets a crack at some point

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our midfield was the biggest disappointment this season. Didn’t live up to its very lofty reputation. Got killed in clearances and the collective two-way running effort was poor.

We need to change it up. With all due respect to Pendles, Sidey & Mayne, they’re all at tail end of their careers and won’t get better/faster next season. Time for them to move out of the mids. I’d like to see Pendles playing a Hodge-like quarterback role, Sidey moving to a HFF, and Mayne mostly playing VFL.

Replace them in the middle with a rotation of Maynard, Crisp, DeGoey and Sier. Perhaps Beams if he rediscovers desire & form but I have my doubts - and he was never a good two-way runner.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
Langdon Roughead Maynard
Crisp Dunn Howe

Grundy Treloar Beams
Phillips Pendles WHE

Elliott Moore Stephenson
De Goey Mihocek Sidebottom

Interchange
Sier Quaynor Thomas Adams

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
FB: Brayden Maynard ~ Jordan Roughhead ~ Tom Langdon
HB: Jeremy Howe ~ Matthew Scharenberg ~ Jack Crisp
C: Tom Phillips ~ Scott Pendlebury ~ Adam Treloar
HF: Steele Sidebottom ~ Brody Mihocek ~ Will Hoskin-Elloit
FF: Jaidyn Stephenson ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jamie Elliot
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Jordan De Goey ~ Taylor Adams
Int: Brayden Sier (inside mid) ~ Dayne Beams (inside/outside mid) ~ Isaac Quaynor (defence) ~ Josh Thomas (Forward)

- We can't have too many of Sidebottom/Treloar/Pendles at centre bounces, too much reliance on Grundy.

- We know Moore can play KPD to a great level, but I think we can afford to experiment him up forward and Scharenberg in a similar sweeping role at least in early season.

- Sidebottom is not remotely damaging while playing as a wingman, play him as a half forward so we can utilise his occasional creative kicking and his clangers become less punishing as well.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
B: Langdon Roughead Crisp
HB Maynard Moore Howe
C: Phillips Beams Sidebottom
HF Stephenson Cox Hoskin-Elliott
F: Mihocek DeGoey Elliott
FOLL: Grundy Treloar Pendlebury
INTER: Adams Noble Thomas Sier
EMERG: Scharenberg C.Brown Mayne Wills
INJ: Greenwood

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
B:Maynard Roughead Langdon
HB:Howe Moore Crisp
C: Phillips Pendles Hoskin-Elliot
HF:Elliot Mihocek Sidebottom
F:Stephenson Cox De Goey

F: Grundy Treloar Adams

Int: Brown Mayne Beams Sire

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was going to have an attempt at picking our best 22 for next year but I realised it is basicly the same as this years best 22, maybe with a good draft you could add another player but it's the same old

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Int: Brayden Sier (inside mid) ~ Dayne Beams (inside/outside mid) ~ Isaac Quaynor (defence) ~ Josh Thomas (Forward)

- We can't have too many of Sidebottom/Treloar/Pendles at centre bounces, too much reliance on Grundy.

- We know Moore can play KPD to a great level, but I think we can afford to experiment him up forward and Scharenberg in a similar sweeping role at least in early season.

- Sidebottom is not remotely damaging while playing as a wingman, play him as a half forward so we can utilise his occasional creative kicking and his clangers become less punishing as well.

Best one yet, would also include Maynard into the mid rotations.

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our midfield was the biggest disappointment this season. Didn’t live up to its very lofty reputation. Got killed in clearances and the collective two-way running effort was poor.

We need to change it up. With all due respect to Pendles, Sidey & Mayne, they’re all at tail end of their careers and won’t get better/faster next season. Time for them to move out of the mids. I’d like to see Pendles playing a Hodge-like quarterback role, Sidey moving to a HFF, and Mayne mostly playing VFL.

Replace them in the middle with a rotation of Maynard, Crisp, DeGoey and Sier. Perhaps Beams if he rediscovers desire & form but I have my doubts - and he was never a good two-way runner.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
agreed Most teams almost conceded to Grundy winning the hitout. which therefore we should have used better to our advantage. he was trying to hard to have these cute later taps right at his feet which are pointless. if teams want to concede we need to be onto that. therefore try different things like starting our Half Forward line closer to go and open on the square. then if the ball up is in Grundy's favour the likes of Treloar just just sprint forward into the open space and Grundy should smash it 20-30 meteres forward worst case we lose possesion ( no differen to what's happening now ) but at least it's 30 metres further away form the opp goal.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Nice team. I think ideally I’d still have Cox there as he would make Moore even more dangerous and do some ruck time. If Beams is up and running I’d have Sier as depth.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Would love to see this mix at centre bounces more often than any other in 2020:

Brodie Grundy
Scott Pendlebury
Jordan De Goey
Brayden Maynard

Perfect blend of size and strength in Grundy, class and efficiency in Pendlebury, strength and burst speed of De Goey and grunt and leg speed of Maynard.

Fwiw in that scenario, I'd have Adams starting on a back flank and Sidebottom on a forward flank. Treloar and Phillips on wings.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
My preferred mid combos would be:
Senior: Pendlebury, Beams, Sidebottom
Next Gen: De Goey, Crisp, Adams
Chop Outs: Treloar, Elliott, Thomas
One senior + 2 next gen at most centre bounces with the occasional chop out.
Adams I’d rather see forward than back rotating with Elliott or Thomas briefly.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would love to see this mix at centre bounces more often than any other in 2020:

Brodie Grundy
Scott Pendlebury
Jordan De Goey
Brayden Maynard

Perfect blend of size and strength in Grundy, class and efficiency in Pendlebury, strength and burst speed of De Goey and grunt and leg speed of Maynard.

Fwiw in that scenario, I'd have Adams starting on a back flank and Sidebottom on a forward flank. Treloar and Phillips on wings.
That's a good mix, often this year I found that we're lacking in a contested defensive mid. Richmond has Graham, West Coast has Yeo, GWS has De Boar etc.

However, we probably would want all of Langdon, Crisp, Howe down back, none of them are strong shut down players on speedy opposition small forwards.

The basis of playing Maynard mid is having a fit Greenwood down back.

4tone

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
midfield is poor, outside run is required, I hope its addressed this draft and next, no utility type half back types, all pure running machines. Crisp should be sent into the midfield, along with Phillips on the other wing helps this situation. De Goey with a tank is required. Stephenson a little higher up the ground will improve drive into the forward line. Anyway there cannot never be a best 22 with the pies its has to best 28, unfortunately there is not quality 28 on the list. I have a bad feeling about next year, not disaster feeling but a drop down the ladder. The list requires rejuvenation it just hasn't happened for some time.

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Front six:

I'd like to see Sidebottom play as more of a forward as his crumbing skills are elite. I think we need to draft Riccardi and play him at FF. I think we need to bite the bullet and move Moore back to CHF. Elliott, Stephenson and WHE the remaining starting forwards, I hope WHE can turn his form around next year.

HF: Sidebottom ~ Moore ~ Stephenson
F: Elliott ~ Riccardi ~ WHE

Middle six:

I'd like to see Crisp move onto a wing here with Treloar on the opposite wing (Treloar is better on the outside than inside) Adams in the guts, a hopefully fit and fresh Beams, DeGoey needs to spend alot more time in the middle because when he is there good things happen, and of course the best ruck in the business in Grundy.

C: Treloar ~ Beams ~ Crisp
R: Grundy ~ Adams ~ DeGoey

Back six:

Get Langdon back up and going will be a massive boost. Maynard just keeps getting better. Howe. Rough. Pendles to move to a back flank to extend his career. Between Langdon, Shaz, Howe etc. We can handle most teams 2nd tall for monster talls just move Moore back.

B: Maynard ~ Roughead ~ Langdon
HB: Howe ~ Scharenburg ~ Pendlebury

Bench:

Phillips. Sier needs to step up and own it, Need to see what Tyler can do, I give the nod to Sier for now, Mihocek for versatility and Quaynor to have a breakout year.

Int: Phillips ~ Sier ~ Mihocek ~ Quaynor

B: Maynard ~ Roughead ~ Langdon
HB: Howe ~ Scharenburg ~ Pendlebury
C: Treloar ~ Beams ~ Crisp
R: Grundy ~ Adams ~ DeGoey
HF: Sidebottom ~ Moore ~ Stephenson
F: Elliott ~ Riccardi ~ WHE

Int: Phillips ~ Sier ~ Mihocek ~ Quaynor

vicparksfinest

Senior List
Mar 31, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
FB: Howe - Roughead - Langdon
HB: Maynard - Moore - Noble
Bench: Quaynor

C: Crisp - DeGoey - Phillips
R: Grundy - Pendles - Adams
Bench: Treloar & Sier

HF: Sidey - Mihocek - Beams
FF: Stevo - Cox - Elliot
Bench: WHE

EMG: Thomas - Mayne - Murphy - C.Brown

I feel we were so one paced through the middle all season and the only way we will improve next year is with DEGOEY PLAYING MIDFIELD! just watch QB 18 & 19, he dominates the guts, and we don't need him i50 with a fit Elliot and Stevo.

Having Quaynor and Noble develop next year, Crisp can be released up the ground replacing Mayne as a defensive winger.

Beams rotating with DeGoey, another big issue we had was blokes not being able to kick 50 metres for goal, Beams playing as a half forward means chip kicks to the 50 can actually result in goals.

Honestly I'd love to see Treloar spend some time in different role EG. wing half forward (rotate with Sidey) just to mix it up because we are so predictable which is why teams always get back on top of us.

Im a big fan of Thomas because he seems to be our only good crumber so I can easily see him playing majority of games, but with a fully fit squad I couldn't fit him in.

In all there really isn't much change needed from this year or 2018, except fitness and DeGoey in the middle, it's as simple as that for me.

Back