Best 22 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Here is my dip at the 22. Pretty happy with the look. Some decent depth there with Lemmens, Fiorini and Brodie waiting in the wings. Still probably a key forward and key defender light.

Powell - Collins - Budarick
Markov - Ballard - Lukosius
Atkins - Greenwood - Ellis
Ainsworth - Day - Corbett
Sexton - King - Rankine

Witts - Swallow - Rowell

Miller - Bowes - Weller - Anderson​

For me, Day goes back to provide a big body and experience and Luko forward as a running CHF and Corbett doing the contested stuff. Graham on the bench and no Swallow

Markov - Day -Ballard
Ainsworth - Lukosius- Corbett
Sexton - King - Rankine

Witts - Anderson - Rowell

Miller - Bowes - Weller - Graham

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
For me, Day goes back to provide a big body and experience and Luko forward as a running CHF and Corbett doing the contested stuff. Graham on the bench and no Swallow

Markov - Day -Ballard
Sexton - King - Rankine

4 key defenders?

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal

Markov - Day -Ballard
Sexton - King - Rankine

Would love to see Day go back to the defense but I don't think the club want to go there.

I would start the season with Swallow, but if he has some down weeks early may look to other options, but he is the captain of the club, so I doubt he will be dropped.

If you wanted to get Graham involved you can move Corbett out and move Graham back and run with a smaller forward line.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't understand why so many fans here are skeptical about our defense.

My opinion is that our defense performed well despite easily the youngest and least experience in the competition. In a lot of games we were 1-2 quarters under pump and our defense kept us in it. Just watch the first quarter against Tigers or the 3rd quarter against Fremantle. I believe SUNS allowed most I50 in competition. Despite that our defense stood up to pressure and played zone well.

Check out the age and games at the start and end of the season. Crazy. Even now only one player played > 50 games. There is a huge potential for growth there as bodies mature and experience comes. Only up from now on.

Collins - 26, 27 -> 40
Luko - 20, 21 -> 38
Budarick - 19, 0 ->15
Powell - 21, 20 -> 35
Bowes - 22, 42 -> 59
Ballard - 21, 32 -> 48
Graham - 20, 3 ->10

KPD
Collins is a rock there despite it was his first full season and played only 27 games when season started. He did tire late.

Ballard was still growing and according to reports is actually now 197cm. You got to be careful with putting on weight while still developing. He is easily a KPD. A couple more pre-seasons in the gym and he will be hard to beat. Already watch him to out-body Eagles Kennedy and Darling in round 2. Yes, he still makes mistakes.

Graham is only 20 year old kid. He showed improvement and again like Ballard he is our KPD in 2 years.

Not sure why people want to move Day back. He will continue to be a side-kick to King next year. If one of them gets injured, I suspect Luko to move forward. Luko is ultimately forward and as he gets stronger he will move there as a high forward/wing.

Rebounding defenders
For me Powell could be our rebounding defender if SUNS want him to be. He has a great kick and reads the game well and has a decent speed. The other one would be be Markov if he makes it or Budarick who is smart and has a great speed too. I am a bit suspect about Budarick's kick.

And then there is Towey and Farrar :)

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Fish's best 22

B: Connor Budarick, Sam Collins, Jack Lukosius
HB: Oleg Markov, Charlie Ballard, Jack Bowes
C: Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Rory Atkins
HF: Ben Ainsworth, Sam Day, David Swallow
F: Izak Rankine, Ben King, Alex Sexton

Foll: Jarrod Witts, Matt Rowell, Lachie Weller

I/C: Wil Powell, Noah Anderson, Touk Miller, Sam Flanders

EMERG: Jarrod Harbrow, Brayden Fiorini, Darcy Macpherson, Nick Holman

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I don't understand why so many fans here are skeptical about our defense.

My opinion is that our defense performed well despite easily the youngest and least experience in the competition. In a lot of games we were 1-2 quarters under pump and our defense kept us in it. Just watch the first quarter against Tigers or the 3rd quarter against Fremantle. I believe SUNS allowed most I50 in competition. Despite that our defense stood up to pressure and played zone well.

Check out the age and games at the start and end of the season. Crazy. Even now only one player played > 50 games. There is a huge potential for growth there as bodies mature and experience comes. Only up from now on.

Collins - 26, 27 -> 40
Luko - 20, 21 -> 38
Budarick - 19, 0 ->15
Powell - 21, 20 -> 35
Bowes - 22, 42 -> 59
Ballard - 21, 32 -> 48
Graham - 20, 3 ->10

KPD
Collins is a rock there despite it was his first full season and played only 27 games when season started. He did tire late.

Ballard was still growing and according to reports is actually now 197cm. You got to be careful with putting on weight while still developing. He is easily a KPD. A couple more pre-seasons in the gym and he will be hard to beat. Already watch him to out-body Eagles Kennedy and Darling in round 2. Yes, he still makes mistakes.

Graham is only 20 year old kid. He showed improvement and again like Ballard he is our KPD in 2 years.

Not sure why people want to move Day back. He will continue to be a side-kick to King next year. If one of them gets injured, I suspect Luko to move forward. Luko is ultimately forward and as he gets stronger he will move there as a high forward/wing.

Rebounding defenders
For me Powell could be our rebounding defender if SUNS want him to be. He has a great kick and reads the game well and has a decent speed. The other one would be be Markov if he makes it or Budarick who is smart and has a great speed too. I am a bit suspect about Budarick's kick.

And then there is Towey and Farrar :)
Buddas is a good kick he just needs to adjust his decision making under pressure, that's his problem. He gets rushed to easily

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I look at the overall make up of the squad.. if Collins was so go down in the pre season..
Who plays FB and looks like our average age of the whole backline would be 21 at best.
Burgess , hombsch is not that young, can also go mid season draft ,draft one send Thompson to LTI if Collins go down and he still not up .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I look at the overall make up of the squad.. if Collins was so go down in the pre season..
Who plays FB and looks like our average age of the whole backline would be 21 at best.
I think you know the answer. Based on last last year our KPD would be Ballard + Graham. Question is do you believe the replacement would do the job? I expect not :)

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
neither are half the player Collins or Thomson is though are they.
Best 22 and depth different , nobody knew Balta until injuries and retirement of Richmond players cause them to expose him at one stage .As jirik13 said he expect not , then you won't test out Balta type of players in AFL.;) Callum Wilkins a rookie st Kilda pick now best 22 , marshall a rookie draft ruck men come good . Collins delisted by Fremantle and played a good season with werribee .

Last edited:

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Graham has to be next in line as KPD. He is raw, but is progressing nicely. I am not sure Burgess or Hombsch are up to it, but they’re all we’ve got left at this stage

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Graham has to be next in line as KPD. He is raw, but is progressing nicely. I am not sure Burgess or Hombsch are up to it, but they’re all we’ve got left at this stage
We probably should have recruited Jack Payne from Brisbane. That would fill a hole in our list with a guy that looks up to it, is unlikely to leave Queensland and is still young (21). The Lions probably wouldn't have asked for much in return either.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We probably should have recruited Jack Payne from Brisbane. That would fill a hole in our list with a guy that looks up to it, is unlikely to leave Queensland and is still young (21). The Lions probably wouldn't have asked for much in return either.
briztoon what do you think about this statement?
I reckon Payne is highly valued.
Showed his strengths when he played end of the year.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
briztoon what do you think about this statement?
I reckon Payne is highly valued.
Showed his strengths when he played end of the year.
Pretty sure the Lions response would have been gtfo.

Payne is highly regarded and is expected to best 22 within 12 to 24 months.

Just because we don’t play our youngsters straight away anymore, doesn’t mean they aren’t rated or wanted.

Payne is regarded in a very different light to Witherden.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

Just because we don’t play our youngsters straight away anymore, doesn’t mean they aren’t rated or wanted.

But if he’s not getting a game we should go after him if we will give him game time

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Who do you expect Payne to jump ahead? It looks to me like Andrews/Gardiner are pretty settled, still young KPD combo and it seems to me that Fagan does not like to play 3 tall defenders.

If Lions have no injuries and Payne does not play regularly in 2021 I am sure plenty of teams will try to lure him with a decent salary and opportunity to play.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Who do you expect Payne to jump ahead? It looks to me like Andrews/Gardiner are pretty settled, still young KPD combo and it seems to me that Fagan does not like to play 3 tall defenders.

It Lions have no injuries and Payne does not play regularly in 2021 I am sure plenty of teams will try to lure him with a decent salary and opportunity to play.
Gardiner to third tall role. Payne FB. Lester to the reserves as our backline on field coach.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I always find it amusing when supporters just assume the players will do whatever the club wants them to do and and will completely ignore their own aspirations to play regular AFL footy. The truth of the matter is most players will consider their options if they are given greater opportunities elsewhere and that's why we could/should have pursued Payne right now. We can essentially offer him a best 22 spot right now as a key defender and he wouldn't have to bide his time in the reserves anymore like he has been over the last three years.

It doesn't really matter what Brisbane wanted to do with him in this situation. If Payne requested a trade for greater immediate opportunities elsewhere then Brisbane would have acquiesced and granted his request. As for what we would have been required to give up for him, that's up for debate but I'd guess our pick 37 this year probably would have got the trade over the line. Pick 27 at best but that's probably overs for a player of his experience.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I always find it amusing when supporters just assume the players will do whatever the club wants them to do and and will completely ignore their own aspirations to play regular AFL footy. The truth of the matter is most players will consider their options if they are given greater opportunities elsewhere and that's why we could/should have pursued Payne right now. We can essentially offer him a best 22 spot right now as a key defender and he wouldn't have to bide his time in the reserves anymore like he has been over the last three years.

It doesn't really matter what Brisbane wanted to do with him in this situation. If Payne requested a trade for greater immediate opportunities elsewhere then Brisbane would have acquiesced and granted his request. As for what we would have been required to give up for him, that's up for debate but I'd guess our pick 37 this year probably would have got the trade over the line. Pick 27 at best but that's probably overs for a player of his experience.

I think there are a number of teams that could do with a big key defender.
Gold Coast, Sydney, port Adelaide, hawthorn, Essendon ones that I could think of that would love to get their hands on Payne.
If the Lions want him and there are a number of clubs enquiring, I think they’d ask a decent price. Whether that ultimately is granted, we’ll never know.
Pick 27 is overs, 37 about right from my perspective but not sure how the Lions would see it. If he requested a trade I think they’d ask for a pick in that higher range.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
My spin is GCS ask about Payne but he is happy with Brisbane , don't need to go further . If Payne really want to move out , he will do higgins , Dunkley and announce GCS as his destination club , Payne manager is not stupid the more money Payne get the better for him /her.
Richmond former player Higgins is a great example that if a club can't struck up a deal , he won't announce his club of destination- he is under contract like Payne .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back