briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I always find it amusing when supporters just assume the players will do whatever the club wants them to do and and will completely ignore their own aspirations to play regular AFL footy. The truth of the matter is most players will consider their options if they are given greater opportunities elsewhere and that's why we could/should have pursued Payne right now. We can essentially offer him a best 22 spot right now as a key defender and he wouldn't have to bide his time in the reserves anymore like he has been over the last three years.

It doesn't really matter what Brisbane wanted to do with him in this situation. If Payne requested a trade for greater immediate opportunities elsewhere then Brisbane would have acquiesced and granted his request. As for what we would have been required to give up for him, that's up for debate but I'd guess our pick 37 this year probably would have got the trade over the line. Pick 27 at best but that's probably overs for a player of his experience.
I always find it amusing when a poster reads something in to another posters post, that is totally not there, hinted or intimated at.

Then goes on a long spiel like they know what’s what.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My spin is GCS ask about Payne but he is happy with Brisbane , don't need to go further . If Payne really want to move out , he will do higgins , Dunkley and announce GCS as his destination club , Payne manager is not stupid the more money Payne get the better for him /her.
Richmond former player Higgins is a great example that if a club can't struck up a deal , he won't announce his club of destination- he is under contract like Payne .
I reckon Payne will see if Lions are prepared to play him semi-regularly or regularly in 2021, just needs a chance to develop, and if not, will very likely explore opportunities elsewhere. David Noble stated this week, when an opportunity presents need to take it. If Suns were serious, and made an offer, I reckon Payne being a QLD'er would have been very tempted to go to get regular AFL games, but maybe Lions did not want to release him. If Lions think Adams or Lester are immediate and long terms options over Payne, then can see him seeking opportunities in 2021. Same with Answerth if Birchall is consistently played. I also would like to see a couple of the other young guys (Berry, Smith, Robertson, Prior, Coleman, Fullerton or Ballenden) given a chance for at least a few games. Problem is if the so called 'regulars' are picked in the first couple of rounds for 2021, then with Lions winning it is difficult for the young guys who are in their 3rd or 4th year to get an opportunity.

I hope I am wrong, but unless Daniher 'fires', and there is further improvement in Berry, Rayner and a couple others, we will drop down the ladder slightly to around 4th to 6th, we will very likely have H & A games in 2021 in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne (which apart from round 1, which we lost to Hawkes) , we did not have to do this year. I know a lot on this board disliked it when it was said , but the reality is in 2020,our players slept in their own 'beds' for all but 4 games this year, likely not to have that luxury in 2021. IMO we will be in the mix for top 4, which still makes it an enjoyable season.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I always find it amusing when a poster reads something in to another posters post, that is totally not there, hinted or intimated at.

Then goes on a long spiel like they know what’s what.

Your quote was "Pretty sure the Lions response would have been gtfo" when asked what you thought of my comment about us pursuing Payne. My response was that it really wouldn't matter what the Lions thought in this hypothetical circumstance where Payne wanted to leave for greater immediate opportunities. The Lions would comply just like every other club in the AFL would if one of the players that regularly plays reserves footy wants to leave to explore greater opportunities elsewhere. Hugh Greenwood would be an example of this last year when he was in and out of the Crows' best 22 and decided to ask for a trade to the GC for greater opportunities. I'm sure the Crows would have preferred to keep Greenwood as a depth player but they did the right thing when Hugh asked for a trade and he became a Sun. Now he's an instant selection in our starting midfield each week and finished 4th in our B&F count this year. You could even argue Jarryd Lyons fell into this category at the end of the 2018 season when Dew told him he'd be spending most of the 2019 season in the NEAFL. He asked us to delist him so he could join your club and we granted his request, despite all the negative press we knew we would receive for doing it if he became a regular in the Lions' best 22.

Bottom line - if we had been able to convince Payne to join us this off season by promising greater best 22 opportunities then it's pretty likely we would have been able to get a deal done.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Your quote was "Pretty sure the Lions response would have been gtfo" when asked what you thought of my comment about us pursuing Payne. My response was that it really wouldn't matter what the Lions thought in this hypothetical circumstance where Payne wanted to leave for greater immediate opportunities. The Lions would comply just like every other club in the AFL would if one of the players that regularly plays reserves footy wants to leave to explore greater opportunities elsewhere. Hugh Greenwood would be an example of this last year when he was in and out of the Crows' best 22 and decided to ask for a trade to the GC for greater opportunities. I'm sure the Crows would have preferred to keep Greenwood as a depth player but they did the right thing when Hugh asked for a trade and he became a Sun. Now he's an instant selection in our starting midfield each week and finished 4th in our B&F count this year. You could even argue Jarryd Lyons fell into this category at the end of the 2018 season when Dew told him he'd be spending most of the 2019 season in the NEAFL. He asked us to delist him so he could join your club and we granted his request, despite all the negative press we knew we would receive for doing it if he became a regular in the Lions' best 22.

Bottom line - if we had been able to convince Payne to join us this off season by promising greater best 22 opportunities then it's pretty likely we would have been able to get a deal done.
Payne didn’t hypothetically request a trade.

Didn’t bother reading beyond that.

I’m sure multiple clubs asked Payne’s manager if he might be available. Nothing happened, so nothing to see here.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Payne didn’t hypothetically request a trade.

Didn’t bother reading beyond that.

I’m sure multiple clubs asked Payne’s manager if he might be available. Nothing happened, so nothing to see here.
Nothing happened this year. Next year will likely be a different story if he's still stuck in the reserves.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Not sure Fagan would extend Lester for 2 years to play as a field coach in reserves. He did have his best season to my surprise.
Lester is in our best 30, and provides valuable depth. There’s a lot of Lions posters who have Payne going past him.

Also, Gardiner’s body is getting to that point where the wear and tear of playing KPD from a young age is starting impact his ability to stay on the field. He is a warrior in that regards though.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Magnificent! The Thompson ship may have sailed and probably need to fit Buderick and Sexy in there but it's a good looking Grand Final team..

tenor (20).gif

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Correct..never give up but with Rory, and as much as I love what he does on the field, we just can't seem to get him there consistently. From a possible 215games over 10 seasons, he's managed less than half, at 103.
He's about to turn 30, and as good as Dr Rigby has been in turning our Medical Dept around, there's no guarantee he won't be out for 6-8 weeks from an injury received just getting out of bed......

Early days, he was up there with the best, but he hasn't played a game since Rd 19, 2018.....over 2 years ago.

If he can get thru Preseason without incurring a paper cut, then he will be the first picked in the backline, and I will be over the moon if he can run out with the boys Rd1......but I have my doubts....

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
2021 best 22

Buderick Collins Lukosius
Powell Ballard Bowes
Ellis Rowell Atkins
Ainsworth Day Anderson
Rankine King Sexton

Witts Greenwood Miller

Swallow Weller Markov Flanders/Graham (match up permitting)

2021 reserves

Mclennan Graham Harbrow
Jeffries Hombsch Burgess
Sharp Fiorini Farrar
Corbett Conroy Lemmens
Rosas Murtagh Ace

Smith Brodie Macpherson

Holman Davies Murdoch Towey Fyfe Nicholls

2024 best 22

Buderick Collins Powell
Bowes Ballard Jeffries
Ellis Rowell Anderson
Ainsworth Lukosius Hollands
Flanders King Rankine

Witts Davies Miller

Weller ? ? ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
2021 best 22

Buderick Collins Lukosius
Powell Ballard Bowes
Ellis Rowell Atkins
Ainsworth Day Anderson
Rankine King Sexton

Witts Greenwood Miller

Swallow Weller Markov Flanders/Graham (match up permitting)
I would have the same team except the last spot I would replace Flanders with Corbett. Corbett did a really good job linking up on the ouside. Alternatively, Markov is out.

When Hollands is ready to go Corbett/Flanders would make a space for him.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
2024 best 22

Buderick Collins Powell
Bowes Ballard Jeffries
Ellis Rowell Anderson
Flanders King Rankine

Witts Davies Miller

Weller ? ? ?
I think Jeffrey will end up forward. B Ellis out in 4 years. I have Graham, Sharp and Rosas in but that's just me being an optimist. Trades and picks most probably replacing some players.

Budarick Collins Powell
Bowes Ballard Graham
Sharp Rowell Anderson
Flanders King Rankine
Witts Davies Miller

Weller, Rosas, Jeffrey, pick 2021

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think Jeffrey will end up forward. B Ellis out in 4 years. I have Graham, Sharp and Rosas in but that's just me being an optimist. Trades and picks most probably replacing some players.

Budarick Collins Powell
Bowes Ballard Graham
Sharp Rowell Anderson
Flanders King Rankine
Witts Davies Miller

Weller, Rosas, Jeffrey, pick 2021
Fair enough. Can definitely see Jeffries up forward.
Ellis will be in the last year of his contract. Be 31 at the start of the season. Can see him playing at that age.
Would be great if Sharp has won a spot.

Rosas - I think is a bonus if he makes it, not counting on it.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For those interested I looked at the list average age in March 2021. The whole list became 6 months older. My best 22 is 2 months younger compared to last year due to no 30y+ players. Games average is similar to last year. My best 22 is 69 games.

Last year in some games SUNS line-up was younger than 24 years. It will probably not happen in 2021.

My best 22 (without Harbrow and Thompson) is 24y 2m. For comparison in March 2020 it was 24y 4m (included Harbrow, Thompson, Hanley).

Total list 49 players average age is 23y 8m. In March 2020 52 players (including Ace) it was 23y 2m.

My best 43 average age is 24y 2m. In March 2020 it was 23y 10m.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
B C.Budarick S.Collins B.Ellis
HB O.Markov C.Ballard J.Lukosius
C L.Weller H.Greenwood J.Bowes
HF B.Ainsworth S.Day D.Macpherson
F I.Rankine B.King A.Sexton
FOLL: J.Witts N.Anderson M.Rowell
INTER: T.Miller, D.Swallow, J.Jeffery, W.Powell

GOLD COAST SUNS
B: Jack Bowes --- Sam Collins --- Jack Lukosius

HB: Oleg Markov --- Charlie Ballard --- Connor Budarick

C: Brandon Ellis --- Hugh Greenwood --- Rory Atkins

HF: Ben Ainsworth --- Sam Day --- David Swallow

F: Izak Rankine --- Ben King --- Alex Sexton

R: Jarrod Witts --- Matt Rowell --- Lachie Weller

Int: Wil Powell --- Noah Anderson --- Touk Miller --- Sam Flanders

Who’s missing from last season?

Jarrod Harbrow, Darcy MacPherson, Nick Holman, Pearce Hanley (retired)

- NICK SMART

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
GOLD COAST SUNS
B: Jack Bowes --- Sam Collins --- Jack Lukosius

HB: Oleg Markov --- Charlie Ballard --- Connor Budarick

C: Brandon Ellis --- Hugh Greenwood --- Rory Atkins

HF: Ben Ainsworth --- Sam Day --- David Swallow

F: Izak Rankine --- Ben King --- Alex Sexton

R: Jarrod Witts --- Matt Rowell --- Lachie Weller

Int: Wil Powell --- Noah Anderson --- Touk Miller --- Sam Flanders

Who’s missing from last season?

Jarrod Harbrow, Darcy MacPherson, Nick Holman, Pearce Hanley (retired)

- NICK SMART

That is pretty bang on I would have thought. Maybe Corbett in for Flanders would be the only change I would make.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That is pretty bang on I would have thought. Maybe Corbett in for Flanders would be the only change I would make.
I'd say its a pretty set top 20 or so.
Bowes, Collins, Ballard, Lukosius, Buderick, Ellis, Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Swallow, Greenwood, Rankine, King, Day, Ainsworth, Weller, Witts, Powell..Atkins and Sexton I'll include but seem not quite as solid to me.

Guys on the fringe could all play a bit this year

Markov, Flanders, Corbett, Graham, Brodie, Fiorini, Macpherson, Holman, Lemmens, Townsend, Sharp

Think there will be very few games from outside this group of 30.

Draftables

Rookie
Nov 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Have a new series going on our website in preparation of the 2021 season. Running through all the club's lists and best 22s and Gold Coast has just dropped. Always feel like a supporters' judgement is one of the best going around so give us a follow, check it out and let us know your thoughts!

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Have a new series going on our website in preparation of the 2021 season. Running through all the club's lists and best 22s and Gold Coast has just dropped. Always feel like a supporters' judgement is one of the best going around so give us a follow, check it out and let us know your thoughts!

Vast majority of SUNS fans believe that Harbrow will not be in the best 22. Flanders/Corbett are usual replacements.

I read the assessment and I can't really disagree with anything. Well done.

Contrary to last year when SUNS often fielded line-ups below 24 years old, in 2021 SUNS did get older (43 best players average age is 24 years and 2 months) and significant number of young players got more games under belt and some will be approaching or reached 50 games mark (Bowes, Powell, Lukosius, Ainsworth, Ballard, King). We should see improvement. How big is the question.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
B: Connor Budarick , Sam Collins, Jack Lukosius
HB: Oleg Markov, Charlie Ballard, Wil Powell
C: Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Rory Atkins
HF: Izak Rankine, Sam Day, Josh Corbett
F: Alex Sexton, Ben King, Ben Ainsworth
R: Jarrod Witts, Touk Miller, Matt Rowell

I/C: Lachie Weller, David Swallow, Noah Anderson, Jack Bowes

Bench guys just there as they will split time between a couple positions.

Greendogg

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
B: Connor Budarick , Sam Collins, Jack Lukosius
HB: Oleg Markov, Charlie Ballard, Wil Powell
C: Brandon Ellis, Hugh Greenwood, Rory Atkins
HF: Izak Rankine, Sam Day, Josh Corbett
F: Alex Sexton, Ben King, Ben Ainsworth
R: Jarrod Witts, Touk Miller, Matt Rowell

I/C: Lachie Weller, David Swallow, Noah Anderson, Jack Bowes

Bench guys just there as they will split time between a couple positions.
I think this might be the right combination, great mix of size and speed, inside and outside lock down and rebound as well as role players versus go to guys. I would be disappointed if there isn't some noticible natural improvement from quite a few guys such as Rankine, luko, Anderson and hopefully Corbett and if this is the case I'm thinking Finals is within our grasp at long last.
That bench is quality and we have half dozen good players to come as depth.
I think this is the year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back