Best 22 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy was a beast last year, not sure it's time to reduce the age of our young midfield now or in the near future. If he plays well this year and doesn't look like slowing down, give him that extra year.
He was very good granted but with a younger midfield evolving rapidly around him he is prime candidate to find himself on the outer sooner rather then later. Hopefully his form keeps him in but its nice having options

Budarick - Collins - Lemmens
Powell - Ballard - Markov
Ellis - Rowell - Weller
Rankine - Corbett - Swallow
Holman - King - Ainsworth
Witts - Greenwood - Miller

Farrar - Anderson - Bowes - Lukosius

Sam day and Thompsons time in the best 22 is up?

Thompson who?

Corbett is probably more consistent than Day now that he seems to be over his goal kicking yips.

Not sure where Hollands goes when we 100% fit.

Can't see Darcy getting back into this team. Too limited in what he does at his size.

Thompson who?

Corbett is probably more consistent than Day now that he seems to be over his goal kicking yips.

Not sure where Hollands goes when we 100% fit.

Can't see Darcy getting back into this team. Too limited in what he does at his size.

on the cusp you’d have Flanders Holland’s Wanting swallows spot.
can’t believe he has 3 years to go

This year you’d hope they will trade him in a 200cm ready to go mature key back so Ballard and co don’t need to play undersized on the giants ( main priority)

davis Rosa Jefferys should all be vying for a spot too by end of 2021
Exciting times

Sam day and Thompsons time in the best 22 is up?

For us to push into the top 8, we need to improve on Thompson and Day. Good servants but their time has past.

Our shopping list this year should be:

Best mature key defender available to help Collins.

Ballard becomes a 3rd tall interceptor.

Powell becomes injury cover in the reserves. The kid is great, but needs more development - both in his game and his body.

Best mature centre half forward/ruck available. Give us more flexibility up forward. Allow Corbett to be a 3rd tall roaming forward if needed.

Would love an A grade outside mid, but that’s a pipe dream I think.

For us to push into the top 8, we need to improve on Thompson and Day. Good servants but their time has past.

Our shopping list this year should be:

Best mature key defender available to help Collins.

Ballard becomes a 3rd tall interceptor.

Powell becomes injury cover in the reserves. The kid is great, but needs more development - both in his game and his body.

Best mature centre half forward/ruck available. Give us more flexibility up forward. Allow Corbett to be a 3rd tall roaming forward if needed.

Would love an A grade outside mid, but that’s a pipe dream I think.
Powell??? He is clear best 22

Powell??? He is clear best 22

I think Powell was our weakest link yesterday.

He has excellent qualities and will be a great senior player, but I think he still needs some development.

He is often trying to do too much, and not taking his first option. Trying to break tackles and not yet strong enough to do so.

In a perfect world I would have him mix his time in the seniors and reserves this season while he develops.

I think we risk burning him out mentally and physically if we don’t.

Similar to playing Ballard as a key defender when his body and development is currently better suited to a 3rd tall defender.

But we need to correct list depth to be able to do these things.

After what we have seen this year in Development and injuries. I think our best 22 for next year provided no injury is.

B. Ballard. Thompson. Lemmens
HB. Weller. Collins. Powell
C. Ellis, Fiorini, Sharp
HF. Lukosious, Day, Ainsworth
F. Rankine, King, Corbett
R. Witts, Miller, Rowell
IC. Bowes, Anderson, Sexton, Greenwood
Emg. Burgess, Flanders, Budarick, Swallow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After what we have seen this year in Development and injuries. I think our best 22 for next year provided no injury is.

C. Ellis, Fiorini, Sharp
R. Witts, Miller, Rowell
Thompson??????????

He was a great defender but I can’t see him coming back, hope I’m wrong
The last time he played a game for us was over 3 years ago!
You sometimes see those feel good injury redemption stories-Harley Bennell comes to mind, but IF(Big IF) he ever plays for us again he'll be 31+ and I suspect it will be a similar story.
Gets a game but will be so far off the pace it will be embarrassing for everyone
Just my poorly informed opinion, but no way a guy over 30 with chronic knee injuries comes back to the top flight of AFL footy nearly 4 years after his last game
Would be a miracle.
Has it actually happened before?
They might make a movie about it
He's just doing rehab on the Club's coin-which FairPlay he's entitled to because that what contracts are about
He's contracted to the end of 2023 so he may just end up in the VFL as a stable pony maybe as an injury backup
We can't go into 2022 thinking he's best 22
Anyway-to all the Red Headed Rory fans out there, bookmark this page to toss back at me when he's keeping McKay Lynch and Buddy goalless next year
Hope he makes it

C. Ellis, Fiorini, Sharp
R. Witts, Miller, Rowell
What do you see Flanders role as?
I know I've had this discussion before but I still don't know.
He was recruited as a small forward but I haven't seen any evidence he can kick goals on a regular basis.
Is he an inside mid?
We have a shitload of those surely.
Do you think he will develop into a 1.5 goal a game player?I think Rankine certainly will.And maybe Jeffrey too.
Sexton is the BigFooty whipping boy but he averages a goal a game.That's gold for a team that struggles to kick 8 a game-and he's done it over 9 seasons

He was recruited as a small forward but I haven't seen any evidence he can kick goals on a regular basis.
Is he an inside mid?
Do you think he will develop into a 1.5 goal a game player?I think Rankine certainly will.And maybe Jeffrey too.
Sexton is the BigFooty whipping boy but he averages a goal a game.That's gold for a team that struggles to kick 8 a game-and he's done it over 9 seasons
I think Flanders will evolve into a high half forward style role. Similar to Paul Chapman from Geelong during their premiership era. Will go into the mids and impact but will provide another option forward. But will spend alot of time delivering it inside 50.

I think Flanders will evolve into a high half forward style role. Similar to Paul Chapman from Geelong during their premiership era. Will go into the mids and impact but will provide another option forward. But will spend alot of time delivering it inside 50.
I like the comparison.
Think he needs to have more impact in the air to develop into a Chapman style player.
Got hops so I think he's got the capacity to do it.
Haven't quite got a sense that he knows his way around goal either. Not automatic from the snaps etc..

At the moment does his best work as a low centre of gravity explosive ground ball contested player.

Is he an inside mid?
I like it when Sexton gets involved more up field too.
Is a bit more experienced and composed and I think he generally makes good decisions - when to wheel and go, when to hold it up until a runner from behind makes it into space.

Butchered a few of his kicks yesterday unfortunately. Had 10 turnovers!
In general though, when he is more involved, we play better.
Blues, Bulldogs, Giants, Power, Hawks been his games with at least 15 touches.

In those 5 games - 3 of them against top 8 teams
We are 3 wins, 2 losses with 98%

He's kicked 10 goals, 7 behinds in those 5 games.

Whether thats just a product of better play - potentially. But I think having him as a link man in the 90 - 50m out range - then sprinting inside 50 to crumb the forward contests is good for us.

Is a bit more experienced and composed and I think he generally makes good decisions - when to wheel and go, when to hold it up until a runner from behind makes it into space.

Whether thats just a product of better play - potentially. But I think having him as a link man in the 90 - 50m out range - then sprinting inside 50 to crumb the forward contests is good for us.

I agree. While his disposals from that area are poor at times, they are no worse than our usual entries… and he has the speed to play that role a bit, especially with Ellis out and Atkins a bust so far. Took some good marks and generally has good body positioning to get into space. Offers a slightly different forward set up as well, which we need to mix with until we find the balance.

I like the comparison.
Think he needs to have more impact in the air to develop into a Chapman style player.
Got hops so I think he's got the capacity to do it.
Haven't quite got a sense that he knows his way around goal either. Not automatic from the snaps etc..

At the moment does his best work as a low centre of gravity explosive ground ball contested player.
I like his endeavour but we need players who can kick goals and that's what I thought he was recruited for
Her's listed as a forward on the Suns site
We can't become another team of half back flankers
It doesn't win finals

I don't get the Sexxy hate
If you watch the game yesterday he was involved in so many of our good passages of play

I don't get the Sexxy hate
If you watch the game yesterday he was involved in so many of our good passages of play
I just wish he was more consistent in his work rate. When he is on he is bloody brilliant and great to watch. But some days he looks like he doesn't want to be there and goes for impossible goals to often. A little bit more unselfishness at times would be nice.

I like him as a high half forward as he can use the ball well going into 50 and when he wants works hard back into forward 50 and create an outnumber opportunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back