Best 22 - 2022

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With the news that Luko will play forward half + the early availability of J. Witts - what do people have as our best 22 for 2022?

FB: Budarick - Collins - Lemmens
HB: Powell - Ballard - Markov
C: Ellis - Miller - Weller
HF: Lukosius - Corbett - Ainsworth
FF: Rankine - King - Chol

R: Witts - Greenwood - Anderson

B: Rowell - Swallow - Bowes - Hollands?

e: Sexton, Day, Holman, Jeffrey, Sharp, Fiorini ??

Geez it's tough to pick.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With the news that Luko will play forward half + the early availability of J. Witts - what do people have as our best 22 for 2022?

Geez it's tough to pick.
You even forgot Flanders😀

I can't see Luko, King, Chol, Corbett all together in forward line. For me Holman replacing Corbett/Chol in your line-up to bring more pressure.

Last edited:

Greendogg

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Geez it's tough to pick.
Yeah bit big up forward and a bit small down back. I have been spruiking Sam Day as a KPD for about 6 years now. Let the opposition lead him to the ball and he is a great open field kick.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You even forgot Flanders😀

I can't see Luko, King, Chol, Corbett all together in forward line. For me Holman replacing Corbett/Chol in your line-up to bring more pressure.
I think Luko plays pretty high up the ground. He is essentially playing as a flanker not a key position player.
Want him getting the ball between the wing and the forward 50.
Corbett in that 40 - 90m range.
Chol and King playing deep.

Yes, seriously considered Holman.
Not sure who our 3rd tall defender is.
Day, maybe. I'm not 100% convinced with him there, think his change of direction is pretty average. Have vague memories of him playing ok in defence but can't honestly remember details.

Greendogg

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Day surely plays back now.
Like everyone I love Holman but realistically this season we shouldn't see him best 22 if we want to improve.
Never understood this line of thinking.. Holman should be one of the first picked until his body says no more.
I just wish we had a couple more of these no nonsense, do everything for the team types.
We have way too many fashionable footy players.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Never understood this line of thinking.. Holman should be one of the first picked until his body says no more.
I just wish we had a couple more of these no nonsense, do everything for the team types.
We have way too many fashionable footy players.
I love Freckle but we need to be able to smash times with scoring power, in sick of scrapping for every win. Freck has some great strengths but some clear weaknesses and they will get more exposed if we improve

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The news of Luko moving forward in 2022 confirms to me that Day will be played as a defender next year and the same can probably be said about Burgess if he manages to get in the best 22 considering we have Chol now. One of our biggest weaknesses in recent times has been the quality of our inside 50 entry kicks. So often I'd see one of our mids just hack the ball inside or kick it in a way that makes it near impossible for King to mark the ball. If Luko is playing centre half forward or even half forward flank then he'll be able to push up closer to the middle of the ground/wing and he'll be the one kicking the ball inside 50 instead of another player that would likely hack it. We know Luko has a beautiful kick and will hit most of our forwards lace out in that situation. He just needs to work on his accuracy in front of goal over this off season which will allow him to be a real weapon for us on the half forward line.

This also likely means Kingy will be asked to play as a deep tall target. Personally I'd like us to recruit a big bodied key forward like Casboult and play him at full forward while King plays in the pocket which would allow Ben to use his physical strengths like his ridiculous speed and play as more of a lead up forward instead of a contested situation where he's not as strong but that may not be as necessary next year if Luko is hitting him lace out. In my mind our key backs will be Collins and Day. Ballard, Burgess and Farrar can also be used if needed but that would only occur when Collins or Day aren't up to it. We also have the wildcards in Rory Thompson and our highest draft pick this year (hopefully Gibcus).

Tall-medium forwards: King, Chol, Lukosius, (Casboult?), Corbett, Burgess, Jeffrey
Tall-medium backs: Collins, Day, Ballard, Burgess, Thompson, Farrar, Pick 3

We should bat about seven spots deep in both areas now that Luko will be played as a forward and Chol is on the list. I also felt we played small in the forward line at times this year so adding 200cm Chol and 195cm Lukosius will go a long way to addressing that concern. Here is my current best 23 for 2022:

B: Budarick, Collins, Ballard
HB: Powell, Day, Markov
C: Ellis, Greenwood, Sharp
HF: Ainsworth, Lukosius, Sexton
FF: Rankine, King, Chol
Ruc: Witts, Anderson, Miller
INT: Rowell, Swallow, Bowes, Jeffrey
Sub: Holman

I couldn't fit Fiorini in the team. Sexton could easily lose his spot to someone like Jeffrey or even Holman but then we're potentially bordering on a forward line that's too tall.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The news of Luko moving forward in 2022 confirms to me that Day will be played as a defender next year and the same can probably be said about Burgess if he manages to get in the best 22 considering we have Chol now. One of our biggest weaknesses in recent times has been the quality of our inside 50 entry kicks. So often I'd see one of our mids just hack the ball inside or kick it in a way that makes it near impossible for King to mark the ball. If Luko is playing centre half forward or even half forward flank then he'll be able to push up closer to the middle of the ground/wing and he'll be the one kicking the ball inside 50 instead of another player that would likely hack it. We know Luko has a beautiful kick and will hit most of our forwards lace out in that situation. He just needs to work on his accuracy in front of goal over this off season which will allow him to be a real weapon for us on the half forward line.

This also likely means Kingy will be asked to play as a deep tall target. Personally I'd like us to recruit a big bodied key forward like Casboult and play him at full forward while King plays in the pocket which would allow Ben to use his physical strengths like his ridiculous speed and play as more of a lead up forward instead of a contested situation where he's not as strong but that may not be as necessary next year if Luko is hitting him lace out. In my mind our key backs will be Collins and Day. Ballard, Burgess and Farrar can also be used if needed but that would only occur when Collins or Day aren't up to it. We also have the wildcards in Rory Thompson and our highest draft pick this year (hopefully Gibcus).

Tall-medium forwards: King, Chol, Lukosius, (Casboult?), Corbett, Burgess, Jeffrey

We should bat about seven spots deep in both areas now that Luko will be played as a forward and Chol is on the list. I also felt we played small in the forward line at times this year so adding 200cm Chol and 195cm Lukosius will go a long way to addressing that concern. Here is my current best 23 for 2022:

I couldn't fit Fiorini in the team. Sexton could easily lose his spot to someone like Jeffrey or even Holman but then we're potentially bordering on a forward line that's too tall.
Another person who forgot Flanders or does not value him. There is a decent chance that Hollands will push for the best 22 too.

If Casboult joins us, I am pretty sure he will be just emergency in case our tall stock is wiped out again. No chance he is in the best 22.

Let's see where Day plays or if he is out of best 22. Like it or not, right now he is our best contest forward. I am minority here but if he can stay healthy he complements King well. I would expect Chol to get opportunity early and start in round 1 but he is far from consistent player.

I can't wait for round 1. As usual, pre-season and injuries will decide the best 22.

Last edited:

KaySwizzle

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I value Holman as a sub. He did it early in the season and he had big impact when he came on. He can play forward, mid or even potentially as a defender. He marks, brings pressure and physicality and can sneak a goal. He’s pretty high impact if he only plays for half a game or less.

Swallow may spend more time forward too, which makes his role the Holman type role as a big bodied tackler, which also pushes Holman out.

I think Lemmens stays in the team too as our only lock-down small defender. With Budders coming back from injury, he might have to earn it back. Our defence was a tight unit. Maybe sometimes we play Day, others Budders—depending on match-ups.

Bowes and Fiorini could be fighting for the same midfield minutes and spot, as I don’t see Bowes as a defender and Fiorini is best in the guts. Based on end of season form, Fiorini gets into the team for me, but a pre-season could change things.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast

No room for Weller either....

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Another person who forgot Flanders or does not value him. There is a decent chance that Hollands will push for the best 22 too.

If Casboult joins us, I am pretty sure he will be just emergency in case our tall stock is wiped out again. No chance he is in the best 22.

Let's see where Day plays or if he is out of best 22. Like it or not, right now he is our best contest forward. I am minority here but if he can stay healthy he complements King well. I would expect Chol to get opportunity early and start in round 1 but he is far from consistent player.

I can't wait for round 1. As usual, pre-season and injuries will decide the best 22.
I think Flanders has shown glimpses, but is far from a consistent player himself.
A good contest player, good at scooping up loose balls.
Hasn't had a chance / not shown chops as an out and out midfielder and not much scoreboard impact despite a fair bit of time forward.
He'll get games and will continue to flourish - I think he is a little stuck without a position at the moment.
Would be getting games on pure potential -

NOBBYS

All Australian
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
22 Team

B Lemmens Collins Ballard

Hb Powell Day Weller

C Ellis Anderson Sharp

HF Ainsworth Lukosius Greenwood

F Corbett King Rankine

R Witts Rowell Miller

IC Swallow Bowes Holman Chol

Hollands Budarick Sexton Flanders Farrer Fiorini Jeffrey Burgess

Observations
We at least appear to have reasonable good depth barring injuries.
Day down back to play on the big slower forwards (offers little as a key forward after so many injuries)
Gives Collins and Ballard to play similar roles to May and Lever ,more attacking.
Powell and Weller give us lots of run and carry from defence.
Lukosius is a risk at CHF because of light frame , but its time for him to take on more responsibility.
Placed Greenwood alongside to give him that physical help.(can still spend time in the middle)
Think its time for all our young players to take up responsibility and leadership ,they are our future.
One area that needs improving is pressure from all our forward, must happen for us to make a significant
rise up the ladder.
Enjoy our beautiful weather and STAY HEALTHY

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
22 Team

B Lemmens Collins Ballard

Hb Powell Day Weller

C Ellis Anderson Sharp

HF Ainsworth Lukosius Greenwood

F Corbett King Rankine

R Witts Rowell Miller

IC Swallow Bowes Holman Chol

Hollands Budarick Sexton Flanders Farrer Fiorini Jeffrey Burgess

Observations
We at least appear to have reasonable good depth barring injuries.
Day down back to play on the big slower forwards (offers little as a key forward after so many injuries)
Gives Collins and Ballard to play similar roles to May and Lever ,more attacking.
Powell and Weller give us lots of run and carry from defence.
Lukosius is a risk at CHF because of light frame , but its time for him to take on more responsibility.
Placed Greenwood alongside to give him that physical help.(can still spend time in the middle)
Think its time for all our young players to take up responsibility and leadership ,they are our future.
One area that needs improving is pressure from all our forward, must happen for us to make a significant
rise up the ladder.
Enjoy our beautiful weather and STAY HEALTHY

Probably an oversight, nut no Markov in your 30.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
FB farrer Collins Ballard
HB Weller Day Powell
C Ellis Miller Sharp
HF Rankine Lukosius hollands
FF Jeffery King Holman

R Witts Anderson Greenwood

IC Bowes Fiorini Rowell corbett

next in line Swallow Sexton Chol Flanders burderick burgess Ainsworth
Macpherson
As many deficits as Swallow has - I can't see them leaving him out.
He is the captain and finished 3rd in the BNF this best year.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
I think some here have to temper expectations with Lukosius as a CHF or HFF. With an actual player being accountable for him he's going to have to earn his kicks and given he's neither strong in the air or great below his knees it's going to be a lot harder to get a kick than when he isn't running loose across half back.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ballard ~ Collins ~ Lemmens
Bowes ~ Day ~ Powell
Weller ~ Greenwood ~ Ellis
Witts ~ Anderson ~ Miller
Rankine ~ Lukosius ~ Flanders
Sexton ~ King ~ Chol
Swallow ~ Ainsworth ~ Rowell
Hollands

Budarick, Corbett, Sharp, Fiorini, Jeffery, Holman, Burgess, Farrer, Markov

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As many deficits as Swallow has - I can't see them leaving him out.
He is the captain and finished 3rd in the BNF this best year.

I thought as much too.

But can’t have all Fiorini swallow Rowell Greenwood in the same side

Fiorini pretty much carried the midfield second half of this year with Touk so I went with him

Was out of Greenwood n swallow.
Thought Greenwood tackles more and gets more clearances

KingCoasters

Senior List
Jun 22, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
HF Ainsworth Lukosius Chol
FF Rankine King Flanders
Others Sexton Holman Corbett Holands Jeffrey

If Rankine and Luko can live up to their potential, my god this team might actually kick some goals next year

KingCoasters

Senior List
Jun 22, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Dew mentioned about the kicks into the F50 and locking it in.
So needs atleast Holman or Dmac as tackling machines even if they ain’t hitting the scoreboard.
Flanders could become the 10 tackle machine if he chooses

100% Holman needs a spot on the team somewhere, brings so much intensity. But Dmac is a liability with ball in hand and if you’re the smallest bloke on the field, you at least need to know how to use the footy.

Back