Best 22 - 2022

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Markov's in my first XI
Markov is coming into his prime in terms of games experience and age. He's 25 with almost 40 games to his name. In about 12 months from now we should start to see the best from Markov as he should have around 60 games under his belt and be entering his physical prime as a 26 year old. The same can be said about Mabior Chol in 12-24 months from now.

It's nice to have a few guys on our list who are on the verge of reaching their best years instead of knowing we still have years to wait.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Markov is coming into his prime in terms of games experience and age. He's 25 with almost 40 games to his name. In about 12 months from now we should start to see the best from Markov as he should have around 60 games under his belt and be entering his physical prime as a 26 year old. The same can be said about Mabior Chol in 12-24 months from now.

It's nice to have a few guys on our list who are on the verge of reaching their best years instead of knowing we still have years to wait.
We got significant number of players in or entering their best years or close to in 2022.
Lemmens (27), Collins (27), Chol (25), Markov (25), Farrar (25), Ellis (28), Ainsworth (24), Bowes (24), Fiorini (24), Holman (26), Sexton (28), Miller (26), Weller (26), Atkins (26), Macpherson (24), Burgess (26), Corbett (25).

Add Witts (29), Swallow (29), Greenwood (30), Day (29), Thompson (31) and we got a good support for upcoming talent.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We got significant number of players in or entering their best years or close to in 2022.
Lemmens (27), Collins (27), Chol (25), Markov (25), Farrar (25), Ellis (28), Ainsworth (24), Bowes (24), Fiorini (24), Holman (26), Sexton (28), Miller (26), Weller (26), Atkins (26), Macpherson (24), Burgess (26), Corbett (25).

Add Witts (29), Swallow (29), Greenwood (30), Day (29), Thompson (31) and we got a good support for upcoming talent.

Hard to believe Bowes is 24
Was meant to be the Suns gun Pendlebury like midfielder.
Had his best year as a 19yr old if im
Correct

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The age demographic certainly does suggest we're on the verge of something good.

Hard to believe Bowes is 24
Was meant to be the Suns gun Pendlebury like midfielder.
Had his best year as a 19yr old if im
Correct
He'll actually be 25 in 15 months from now. Unbelievable.

Alex Davies has also been described as a 'Scott Pendlebury clone'. Let's hope we have a bit more success with Alex.

Blue train 28

Team Captain
Sep 13, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Very keen to see Alex Davis, Elijah Holland’s next year in your 22. It’s time these young lads in there 3-4 years push out the blokes that have filled a role for the suns waiting for these kids to develop. Hopefully they can have big preseasons
DAY COLLINS BUDARICK
POWELL BALLARD. LEMMENS
ELLIS. MILLER. WELLLER
SWALLOW LUKOSIUS HOLLANDS
RANKINE. KING. CHOL
WITTS ROWELL. ANDERSON
BENCH
DAVIS , AINSWORTH , CORBETT , FIRONI.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Very keen to see Alex Davis, Elijah Holland’s next year in your 22. It’s time these young lads in there 3-4 years push out the blokes that have filled a role for the suns waiting for these kids to develop. Hopefully they can have big preseasons
DAY COLLINS BUDARICK
POWELL BALLARD. LEMMENS
ELLIS. MILLER. WELLLER
SWALLOW LUKOSIUS HOLLANDS
RANKINE. KING. CHOL
WITTS ROWELL. ANDERSON
BENCH
DAVIS , AINSWORTH , CORBETT , FIRONI.
I feel like you jumped the gun on Davies and Hollands. They played 1 game combined and it will be only their 2nd season.

Your forward line does not create enough pressure for me, would struggle to keep ball in.

Last edited:

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I hope you mean doesn't?
Chol Rankine Lukosius are at best unknown quantities in terms of forward pressure putting it mildly
It's why Holman is still a walkup start
I fixed that. Thanks. It would be ball in and ball straight out.

Yes, Holman would be one of the first players on the board for me too.

Blue train 28

Team Captain
Sep 13, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I feel like you jumped the gun on Davies and Hollands. They played 1 game combined and it will be only their 2nd season.

Your forward line does create enough pressure for me, would struggle to keep ball in.
I like Davis last game of the year against the swans just needs to improve his decision making over the summer but I have no doubt he will break in the 22

Holland’s will be like a new recruit this year , watched him before he done his acl in his draft year super player.
I had Ainsworth in on the bench for pressure with Rankine.
swallow is a leader and tackle machine and could play a similar role to keep that ball inside 50
Flanders/ Holman emergency options

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I like Davis last game of the year against the swans just needs to improve his decision making over the summer but I have no doubt he will break in the 22

Holland’s will be like a new recruit this year , watched him before he done his acl in his draft year super player.
I had Ainsworth in on the bench for pressure with Rankine.
swallow is a leader and tackle machine and could play a similar role to keep that ball inside 50
Flanders/ Holman emergency options
I agree with all you wrote except I can's see Swallow as a pressure forward. It's just I don't expect Davies and Hollands to become regular players in 2022. 1-2 years later, yes.

Flanders and Holman are in the best 22 for me. I still expect Greenwood to start in the middle. A decent ruck should make a difference. Some difficult choices as we do have a depth. Time to start winning more. Whoever has the best pre-season starts.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
All players fit and available, this is my attempt at it, and it's not been easy.....and I've put a VFL team below it and anyone of 4-5 could be in the AFL side.

AFL:

FB: Farrar Collins Ballard
HB: Markov Day Powell
C: Ellis Greenwood Sharp
HF: Sexton Chol Lukosius
FF: Rankine King Holman
R: Witts Miller Anderson
IC: Rowell Swallow Flanders Bowes

VFL:

FB: Lemmens Graham McLennan
HB: Budarick Thompson Uwland
C: Atkins Hollands Weller
HF: MacPherson Corbett Rosas
FF: Jeffrey Burgess Ainsworth
R: Moyle Fiorini Davies
IC: Brock Conroy Nicholls Murtagh Pick 3.

The pre-season should tell us a lot more.....

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
All players fit and available, this is my attempt at it, and it's not been easy.....and I've put a VFL team below it and anyone of 4-5 could be in the AFL side.

AFL:

FB: Farrar Collins Ballard
HB: Markov Day Powell
C: Ellis Greenwood Sharp
HF: Sexton Chol Lukosius
FF: Rankine King Holman
R: Witts Miller Anderson
IC: Rowell Swallow Flanders Bowes

VFL:

FB: Lemmens Graham McLennan
HB: Budarick Thompson Uwland
C: Atkins Hollands Weller
HF: MacPherson Corbett Rosas
FF: Jeffrey Burgess Ainsworth
R: Moyle Fiorini Davies
IC: Brock Conroy Nicholls Murtagh Pick 3.

The pre-season should tell us a lot more.....
I don't see Lemmens, Weller and Ainsworth missing out.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That's a distinct possibility.....maybe Fiorini too...possible pre-season injuries could decide it. And if we pick up Casboult in the Rookie Draft, that may have an effect as well.
Yes, a difficult choice. Good to have competitions for spots. Agree, injuries and pre-season will decide. I can't see Casboult playing AFL unless we are hit with injuries. Not sure we will play Collins, Ballard, Day together in defence in most games.

The Gotham Penguin

Give me fish - and The Batman!
Sep 26, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The key for me is Rory Thompson

He stays fit - Collins and Ballard are suddenly playing on players of similar size.

The importance of this cannot be underestimated - Chol to support Wittsy and push forward, Day to stay forward to protect King.

All this frees up Markov to attack, and the mids suddenly have 3 tall targets to aim for - bring the ball to ground and let the smalls do their thing.

I'd love us to work on JT's head - cut out the stupid stuff, and there is a genuine mid sized forward option - as he showed with the Tiges.

His and Holmans grunt makes us tougher as well.

We just need a couple of things to go tight this year, and the finals are a real chance.

Thompson is the key.

Been a while between posts for me - bloody covid crap in Melbourne - just could not be arsed.

On the plus side - the people I now work for have seats at the MCG and Marvel, so I'm going to hopefully be able to see all the Vic Suns games.

$239 for a max of 4 games is ridiculous - I know I get to see another 7 non-suns games, but even then, the prices are above walk-up tickets.

I cannot fathom why there isn't a $100 membership package for the mooted 4 games?

Anyway - stay fit Rory!

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
The key for me is Rory Thompson

He stays fit - Collins and Ballard are suddenly playing on players of similar size.

The importance of this cannot be underestimated - Chol to support Wittsy and push forward, Day to stay forward to protect King.

All this frees up Markov to attack, and the mids suddenly have 3 tall targets to aim for - bring the ball to ground and let the smalls do their thing.

I'd love us to work on JT's head - cut out the stupid stuff, and there is a genuine mid sized forward option - as he showed with the Tiges.

His and Holmans grunt makes us tougher as well.

We just need a couple of things to go tight this year, and the finals are a real chance.

Thompson is the key.

Been a while between posts for me - bloody covid crap in Melbourne - just could not be arsed.

On the plus side - the people I now work for have seats at the MCG and Marvel, so I'm going to hopefully be able to see all the Vic Suns games.

$239 for a max of 4 games is ridiculous - I know I get to see another 7 non-suns games, but even then, the prices are above walk-up tickets.

I cannot fathom why there isn't a $100 membership package for the mooted 4 games?

Anyway - stay fit Rory!

So much to like about this post. A fit Thompson would be a huge help, but we can’t realistically expect him to play a full season. Injuries to Collins &/or Ballard will still be hard to cover. However Ballard & Graham are getting stronger year by year & whatever we get from Thompson will be a bonus. As for the Victorian SUNS membership, I couldn’t agree more Batman.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

eighties

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Is it possible to play a forward line with extra marking ability.. something like:

Corbett - Chol - Luko
rankine - King - Holman / Secco

Assuming Day is playing CHB here

or does that make us to slow / not enough pressure?

I really like the idea of keeping Corbett in the team as he has huge workrate and if he is up the ground a bit he provides such a good marking option which is an area where we always lack.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
B C.Budarick S.Collins W.Powell
HB J.Bowes C.Ballard O.Markov
C L.Weller N.Anderson J.Sharp
HF B.Ainsworth M.Chol J.Corbett
F A.Sexton B.King I.Rankine
FOLL: J.Witts M.Rowell T.Miller
INTER: B.Ellis, D.Swallow, B.Fiorini, J.Farrar
Sub: S.Flanders

Southern Sun

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Powell Collins lemmens
Markov day/Thompson ballard
Ellis swallow bowes
Ainsworth chol luko
Rankine King sexton
Witts miller Rowell
Fiorini weller hollands Anderson

Budarick/farrar pressing for a spot in the back 6
Sharp and hopefully atkins is fitter for wing back up
Corbett and Jeffery putting pressure on the fwds
Flanders probably stiff but pushing into the mid/fwd as soon as there's an injury.
Burgess our Mr fix it.

Thesharks

Debutant
Dec 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Is Rankine ever going to play higher up the ground do you think? Like a Jack Martin type?

Back