B- J.Lever S.May M.Hibberd
HB- A.Brayshaw H.Petty C.Salem
C- E.Langdon C.Oliver L.Hunter
HF- K.Pickett J.Van Rooyen C.Spargo
F- K.Chandler T.McDonald B.Fritsch
FOLL- B.Grundy J.Viney C.Petrecca
I/C- M.Gawn, J.Harmes, T.Sparrow, J.Bowey
Sub- J.Jordan

Very close to my best 23. Only change I'd make is ANB playing. Maybe for Sparrow, who moves to sub.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Very close to my best 23. Only change I'd make is ANB playing. Maybe for Sparrow, who moves to sub.

I'd be amazed if Spargo, ANB and Sparrow all played the same role next year. Spargo stays for his kicking % into the F50. Sparrow I reckon has to spend more time in the middle or he makes way. ANB I'm not sure will be best 22. Big call, but I like the Chandler call. At least to start with. Our forward of centre mix is easily our weakest area on the ground. Inclusions of Chandler, JVR and hopefully return of TMac and more presence deep from Max is worth a try.

I'd be amazed if Spargo, ANB and Sparrow all played the same role next year. Spargo stays for his kicking % into the F50. Sparrow I reckon has to spend more time in the middle or he makes way. ANB I'm not sure will be best 22. Big call, but I like the Chandler call. At least to start with. Our forward of centre mix is easily our weakest area on the ground. Inclusions of Chandler, JVR and hopefully return of TMac and more presence deep from Max is worth a try.

I like the Chandler call too. I reckon he should be playing most games. But I know the coaches just adore ANB through his work rate.

Sparrow is a midfielder - he's not great anywhere else imo - but he's struggling to push his way into the centre square at the moment. Maybe if Gus plays back there'll be more opportunities for him.

I like the Chandler call too. I reckon he should be playing most games. But I know the coaches just adore ANB through his work rate.

Sparrow is a midfielder - he's not great anywhere else imo - but he's struggling to push his way into the centre square at the moment. Maybe if Gus plays back there'll be more opportunities for him.

Yeah Sparrow in the middle for Gus makes sense. At least rotating with Koz/Harmes etc

Where has Sparrow been training though - saw in interview recently that he had come to terms with forward role.
Looked like he was training with the mids to me. But there are only so many spots I guess. Unless you're name is Clayton Oliver then you're going to play some time outside of that true midfield position. I'd be guessing his mid numbers will increase next season. But with Gus looking likely to be there it only leaves so many mins to go around.

Gawn injury maybe a blessing in disguise

Gives Grundy time to get used to the new system whilst playing big mins in the Ruck
Van Rooyen, T Mac and Brown will all play

Gawn out of the side is a massive win. Stay injured all year please and watch how a real ruckman operates, he might learn something.

For me, I would go with something like this;

FB: Hibberd - May - Lever
HB: Brayshaw - Petty - Salem
CC: Hunter - Viney - Langdon
HF: Spargo - McDonald - Neal-Bullen
FF: Fritsch - van Rooyen - Pickett
RR: Gawn - Petracca - Oliver
IC: Grundy - Harmes - Sparrow - Rivers
SUB: Bowey

For me, I would go with something like this;

FB: Hibberd - May - Lever
HB: Brayshaw - Petty - Salem
CC: Hunter - Viney - Langdon
HF: Spargo - McDonald - Neal-Bullen
FF: Fritsch - van Rooyen - Pickett
RR: Gawn - Petracca - Oliver
IC: Grundy - Harmes - Sparrow - Rivers
SUB: Bowey

Rivers over Hib
Sparrow over Spargo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember neeld had Trengove and Grimes starting on the bench, and the media went berserk because they were co captains.
They were after any reason to pot us. That was the least of our worries but is symbolic of the shambles we were even if they weren't on the pine long. Was Green sub in the last rounds of 2011 while captain too?

They were after any reason to pot us. That was the least of our worries but is symbolic of the shambles we were even if they weren't on the pine long. Was Green sub in the last rounds of 2011 while captain too?
100% we weren't travelling well so why not nitpick. I don't remember green in 2011 being sub but it was possible, the second half of 2011 was basically a write off.

Okay a quick google search confirms it Green was sub.

Man I remember when Wayne Carey said we were crap circa 2013/14 because Watts and co had beards.
Not focussed enough on their footy, smh.

Crazy barely any of the media from that era just straight up said our list was s**t and all our players were VFL hacks.

Man I remember when Wayne Carey said we were crap circa 2013/14 because Watts and co had beards.
Wasn't it because of their beard growing contest where the loser had to drive an old car saying "I play for the Melbourne Demons"

It's amazing Hawthorn won as many premierships as they did with Michael Tuck's beard.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back