Prediction Best 22/23 Discussion: 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

And with trade period run and 'won', the five months of banal offseason threads kicks off.

First up is our 'best' 22/23 (depending on the rumoured five-player bench).

This will obviously shift around a bit over the summer, but here's what I'd go with at this stage:

FB: Lever - May - Hibberd
HB: Brayshaw - Petty - Bowey
C: Hunter - Viney - Langdon
HF: Neal-Bullen - McDonald - Spargo
FF: Pickett - van Rooyen - Fritsch
RR: Gawn - Oliver - Petracca
IC: Grundy - Salem - Rivers - Harmes
Sub/fifth bench player: Sparrow

Depth: Turner, Jordon, Howes, Laurie, J Smith, Brown, Woewodin, Schache, Tomlinson, Melksham, Dunstan, Chandler
Projects: Jefferson, Adams, McVee, Moniz-Wakefield, D Smith, Sestan, Verrall
  • If Petty trains forward over the summer, Disco comes in to replace T-Mac
  • Hoping that at least one of Laurie/Howes can have a big preseason and replace a ANB/Spargo/Rivers type, or at least put some more pressure on their spots
  • JVR, as long as he has a good preseason, gets first crack at nailing down the full-forward spot. I don't think we can play Brown anymore with Gawn and Grundy, we'll just be far too immobile.
  • Also wouldn't mind one of Rivers/Salem playing further up the ground as a wing/HF. Think Rivers is more likely as he seems to have pretty good running power and a decent goal sense.
Anyway, with that nightmare finals series behind us, I'm actually pretty keen for 2023 and rather optimistic about our chances.

Last edited:
Seems about right but Im just about ready to give up on Rivers after another horrific finals campaign. Hoping Chandler, Laurie or Howes step up and have a big preseason and take his place in the side. Id even nearly prefer running with Joel Smith (for flexibility) over him at this point.

Hard to make a call on the round 1 best 22 without knowing if TMac ever recovers, Brown ever regains form / overcomes his niggles, if the coaches want to swing Petty forward or exactly how we want to utilise the Gawn/Grundy combo.

No idea what the forward line is going to look like, which in turn effects the back line mix.

Seems about right but Im just about ready to give up on Rivers after another horrific finals campaign. Hoping Chandler, Laurie or Howes step up and have a big preseason and take his place in the side. Id even nearly prefer running with Joel Smith (for flexibility) over him at this point.
Agree, he was dreadful again in September. I still think he could be useful further up the ground though – hope they at least give it a shot.

Agree, he was dreadful again in September. I still think he could be useful further up the ground though – hope they at least give it a shot.

Yeah I just dont see a spot in defence for a person like him who will panic and s**t himself in big moments like he has the past two years. Id be willing to give him a shot further up the ground but he needs a BIG preseason to improve his tank.

I kinda agree but I now hate Salem so I'd rather give up on him first.

View attachment 1535632
I saw this post on Facebook, obviously done before we brought in hunter and schache. I'm confident had they known we were getting in schache he'd be an automatic selection, one thing I know for sure Fritsch is definitely no where near our best 22. :$
I swear most of these media types are brainless. How hard is it to do one of these lists without missing the teams leading goal scorer?

View attachment 1535632
I saw this post on Facebook, obviously done before we brought in hunter and schache. I'm confident had they known we were getting in schache he'd be an automatic selection, one thing I know for sure Fritsch is definitely no where near our best 22. :$
He's only second in the AFL for goals kicked in the last two years, easy to forget.

Grundy, Bowey and JVR are surely instant inclusions. Chandler maybe replaces Bedford as permanent sub. Even though our F50 is hot garbage, I'm reluctant to move Petty permanently forward. He's so reliable down back. Could depend on TMacs fitness. Agree with others that Rivers isn't the answer down back. Bowey seems more composed.

Obviously people know my stance of little Ben Brown but sadly I think Goodwin will play him most of next season.

Grundy, Bowey and JVR are surely instant inclusions. Chandler maybe replaces Bedford as permanent sub. Even though our F50 is hot garbage, I'm reluctant to move Petty permanently forward. He's so reliable down back. Could depend on TMacs fitness. Agree with others that Rivers isn't the answer down back. Bowey seems more composed.
Not sure if jvr is an instant inclusion straight up round 1 considering they haven't given him a chance yet when our forward line has been dysfunctional. Hopefully a good preseason and coaches see the light.

Needs more Pick 13 on a forward flank

FB: Salem May Petty
HB: Hibberd Lever Brayshaw
C: Hunter Petracca Langdon
HF: ANB McDonald Pickett
FF: Gawn Brown Fritsch
R: Grundy Oliver Viney

I/C: Spargo Harmes Bowey Sparrow Tomlinson

Petty to swing forward potentially. I’ll back Tomlinson to reach his 2021 form with a full preseason over Smith holding his spot. I like either one as the sub. Schache becoming a 20-30 goal forward would be a miracle. Would be nice if he could pull a Mabior for us and kick 44. Hopefully either he or JVR break in for R1 and tear it up.

Might be a bit tall so can include one of JJ or Chandler or Laurie as needed if form permits. Good chance for a draftee to hit the ground running if we take a mid or half forward with a decent kick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope JVR gets a run ahead of Schache, I think he's ready as the second or third tall and want to see him get major game time this year. Don't want him looking elsewhere if he has to bide his time at Casey again for another year.

If the game plan remains "kick it to the pocket" i won't blame the kid ( JVR) if he wants to go back to WA . I will wait to see what we dish up before going feral on the coaches .

I hope JVR gets a run ahead of Schache, I think he's ready as the second or third tall and want to see him get major game time this year. Don't want him looking elsewhere if he has to bide his time at Casey again for another year.
JVR will play early games. They said they got Schache as the only positional cover they could. He’ll be in the two’s and JVR will be given a crack. Let’s hope he is better than Weid.

If the game plan remains "kick it to the pocket" i won't blame the kid ( JVR) if he wants to go back to WA . I will wait to see what we dish up before going feral on the coaches .
There's no doubt that he'd be annoyed with his treatment this year. He played pretty good footy in the vfl, kicked a few bags whilst consistently getting overlooked for Ben Brown. That's got to hurt. If he leaves next year I wouldn't be surprised.

Afl.com.au's Best 22.

FB: Michael Hibberd, Steven May, Harrison Petty
HB: James Harmes, Jake Lever, Christian Salem
C: Angus Brayshaw, Clayton Oliver, Ed Langdon
HF: Kysaiah Pickett, Tom McDonald, Alex Neal-Bullen
F: Bayley Fritsch, Ben Brown, Max Gawn
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Christian Petracca, Jack Viney
I/C: Jacob Van Rooyen, Lachie Hunter, Trent Rivers, Tom Sparrow

A forward line of Gawn, Ben Brown and Tom Mcdonald will give me nightmares thinking about how slow we will be trying to defend 🐌

Afl.com.au's Best 22.

A forward line of Gawn, Ben Brown and Tom Mcdonald will give me nightmares thinking about how slow we will be trying to defend 🐌
Atleast JVR is there.

Afl.com.au's Best 22.

A forward line of Gawn, Ben Brown and Tom Mcdonald will give me nightmares thinking about how slow we will be trying to defend

That's a shocking 22. Harmes on the back flank? Bowey please.

JVR in for Brown (or McDonald if his foot is still stuffed).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Afl.com.au's Best 22.

Somehow I don't think that we'll be playing Gawn, Grundy, Brown, McDonald and JVR in the same side.

Yeah, I'd have Bowey in for Rivers, and put Harmes to the bench. Maybe use Harmes more as a tagger next season. Rivers has to fight for his spot back or maybe find a new role in the side. Work on his tank and play through the midfield more maybe? Ben Brown out of the side completely and JVR to start (as long as TMac is fit). We can't play Brown, TMac, Grundy, Gawn and JVR surely. I'd start Trac in the F50 and play him a bit more down there. We need goals and with 2 gun rucks with Oliver and Viney in the guts, surely we have enough at stoppages. Brayshaw goes back. Hibberd winding down and Salem struggling a little, we need him back there. We have enough mids already who can chop the ball. Hunter gets the nod over JJ, but there is good comp between those two. Could go either way. Gawn most liekly doesn't start on the bench, but I don't mind the idea to see if he's needed down back or forward more, and to have a fresh Grundy/Gawn coming off the bench is a huge advantage. I like Chandler for Sub. Too good for VFL, need to get him into the senior team. Petty stays back for now. He's too good down there but is an option in the F50 if we're still looking bog ordinary down there.

FB Bowey May Petty
HB Salem Lever Brayshaw
C Hunter Oliver Langdon
HF Trac TMac Spargo
FF Fritta JVR Pickett
Foll Grundy Viney Sparrow
I/C Harmes ANB Gawn Hibberd
Sub Chandler

B- Hibberd May Bowey
HB- Lever Petty Salem
C- Langdon Oliver Hunter
HF- Petrecca McDonald Pickett