Ricky_15

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
south dragons
After this draft. I find it seriously hard to make our best 22. Which is fantastic as we finally have some players competing for certain spots.

Heres my Crack at it.

Whelan Martin Garland
Wheatley Rivers Petterd
Green Mclean Davey
Bate Miller Sylvia
Robbo Watts Wonaemirri

Rucks: P.J Jones Bruce.

Int: Jamar Mcdonald Warnock Blease

Emg: Valenti Moloney Grimes

Its bloody hard ( not that im complaining)

I would so much rather Grimes on the bench then McDonald it's not funny.

I know he's been a great player for the club etc etc but i would much rather a young player out there then him.

Yeh i agree Whelan but theres no chance we will ever drop J-Mac unless his form is terrible.

I was really looking forward to seeing valenti play some more senior footy next year. But our midfield is looking very strong and even stronger now that we have added sam blease.

with mclean bruce green jones macdonald grimes buckley morton

i dont know how much he will play

Valenti has major attiude problems, smart move by dees to keep him their, they dont want him to get to ahead of himself.

After this draft. I find it seriously hard to make our best 22. Which is fantastic as we finally have some players competing for certain spots.

Heres my Crack at it.

Whelan Martin Garland
Wheatley Rivers Petterd
Green Mclean Davey
Bate Miller Sylvia
Robbo Watts Wonaemirri

Rucks: P.J Jones Bruce.

Int: Jamar Mcdonald Warnock Blease

Emg: Valenti Moloney Grimes

Its bloody hard ( not that im complaining)

Players in bold are not best 22 in 09.

Where the hell is Cale Morton?

I'd swap Wheatley for Grimes at half back.

I like that you've included Warnock in the team, shouldn't be disregarded just because Rivers is back. He was a major part of keeping Buddy at bay against the Hawks the second time around, Garland didn't do it on his own. Plus his absolute demolition of Richo in round 22 when were beaten by like 80 odd points was supreme.

I'd like Buckley to get a gig as well but I agree it's bloody hard to fit them all in but I'll have a go anyway.

Whelan Martin Garland
Grimes Rivers Petterd
Moloney McLean Morton
Bate Miller Sylvia
Green Robbo Davey

Rucks: Jamar Jones Bruce.

Int: PJ McDonald Warnock Buckley

Emergencies: Wheatley Valenti Wonaeamirri

Whealan Martin Warnock
Garland Rivers Petterd
Morton Mcdonald Green
Miller Bate Davey
Wonaeamirri Robbo Maric

Foll - PJ Mclean Jones
int - Jamar, Sylvia, Bruce, Buckley (in just ahead of Grimes)

and for kicks, my 2010 best 22 prediction as well. new players bolded

Petterd, Martin, Warnock
Grimes, Garland, Rivers
Morton Jones Davey
Miller Bate Green
Wonaeamirri Watts Maric

Fol - PJ, Mclean, Buckley
Int - Jamar, Blease, Sylvia, Frawley

Alright this is my first crack at a 2009 best 22, so may forget a few players:

FB: Whelan Martin Warnock
HB: Garland Rivers Green
C: Morton McLean Bruce
HF: Davey Miller Bate
FF: Sylvia Robbo Wonna
FOLL: PJ Jones McDonald
I/C: Jamar Wheatley Petterd Buckley

I've probably forgotten a few so please point them out if I have.

- Juice could potentially be our FF by years end if he gets his act together. The only issue is when Robbo plays he plays as a FF and even if he isn't starting in that position he and the true FF get in each others way
- I'd like to have Bucks starting and I think he will be halfway through the year, but guys like Bruce will get the nod over him to start off

Watts does everyone think of our draft picks. should we be Bleased with them? Strauss seems quite "composed" as a player and from all reports "conducts" himself extremely well off the field. i think these players can Bail us out of trouble in years to come

Don't have time to do a whole team now but the one thing I don't agree with is Rivers at CHB.

IF he's fit and firing next year I can only see him as a third tall defender (and a bloody good one at that) but not a true CHB.

Please tell us more. Seems like a hard working type, but off-field who knows.

nothing out of the ordinary. enjoys a drink out with mates and a good time like everyone else from what ive seen... hardly call it an attitude problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watts does everyone think of our draft picks. should we be Bleased with them? Strauss seems quite "composed" as a player and from all reports "conducts" himself extremely well off the field. i think these players can Bail us out of trouble in years to come

Ha Ha, Nice.
2009 season, we will be off to a Jetta ;)

Alright this is my first crack at a 2009 best 22, so may forget a few players:

FB: Whelan Martin Warnock
HB: Garland Rivers Green
C: Morton McLean Bruce
HF: Davey Miller Bate
FF: Sylvia Robbo Wonna
FOLL: PJ Jones McDonald
I/C: Jamar Wheatley Petterd Buckley

I've probably forgotten a few so please point them out if I have.

Its a pretty good line up, i would like to see moloney in there to add some grunt and size to the team. I bolded those three names becuase there all "similar" players running half backs with good skills. I would swap moloney for Wheatley. We have plenty of hight down back but Garland is very versatile, ca play small or tall.

FB: Whelan Martin Garland (this is a lock, the 3 best options here by a street)
HB: Petterd Rivers Bell (Rivers a lock and many options for the flanks)
C: Morton McLean Green (3 high possesion quality players)
HF: Davey Bate Bruce (rotations through the midfield with Bruce and Davey)
FF: Wona Miller Sylvia (left out a tall, see below)
Foll:Jamar Dunn McDonald (just can't leave Junior out he's a gun, and need a tagger)
Int: PJ, Buckley, Moloney, Jones (all midfielder bench for superior run)

Emergencies for each position (2 defenders, 2 mids, 2 forwards) : Warnock, Bartram, Grimes, Wheatley, Maric, Newton

I've left Newton, Robbo and Watts out because they are all coming from too far back to be best 22. I hope Newton is ready to go in round 1 and then when Robbo is back to full fitness they can really pressure each other into performing.

I've also left the rest of the young blokes out because 4 of them are not nearly ready to play AFL and the one who is (Bail) I haven't seen enough of, and even then he has to get passed some handy players to get a game.

Wheatley unlucky but I consider him a winger not a backman, and I had to have Morton and Buckley ahead of him.

I'd also consider another forward (either a tall or Maric) if Sylvia breaks into the midfield. McDonald, Jones or Moloney would have to make way.

It is damn hard to pick the 5th and 6th defender, Grimes or Buckley could spend more time as a defender, we could go tall with Frawley or Warnock, Bartram is an option, and there are a host of young blokes who are defenders. I've stuck my neck out a bit going for Bell and Petterd because I think it pays to consider the 07 form of these two, but I don't want to debate this for hours because it really is a very close call.

B Matthew Whelan; Stefan Martin; Colin Garland B
HB Jared Rivers; Matthew Warnock; Brad Green HB
C Cale Morton; Brent Moloney; Simon Buckley C
HF Matthew Bate; Brad Miller; Aaron Davey HF
F Austin Wonaeamirri; Russell Robertson; Jack Watts F
R Paul Johnson, Brock McLean, Nathan Jones R
I/C Colin Sylvia; Cameron Bruce; Jack Grimes; Mark Jamar I/C

E James McDonald; Ricky Petterd; Paul Wheatley E

- Sam Blease
- James Strauss
- Jamie Bennell
- Neville Jetta
- Rohan Bail
- Shane Valenti
- Lynden Dunn
- Addam Maric
- Daniel Bell
- Clint Bartram
- James Frawley
- Michael Newton
- Kyle Cheney
- Tom McNamara
- Jake Spencer
- Trent Zomer
- John Meesen

I've also left the rest of the young blokes out because 4 of them are not nearly ready to play AFL and the one who is (Bail) I haven't seen enough of, and even then he has to get passed some handy players to get a game.

Which 4 would they be? I'm assuming the one you think is ready is Jetta because he's played some senior WAFL games this year and you can get away being a bit undersized as a forward pocket/HF. But why wouldn't Strauss play regularly next year? What makes him different to Meyers, Masten, Ebert, Palmer, Ward, Scott Selwood, Steven Browne, Bird, who all played in the first half of their first seasons?

Fair enough if you exclude Blease who's bottom aged & skinny and if you leave Watts out of a KP spot because he's unlikely to play there this year. But i think it's a bit short sighted of everyone to leave out all of our draftees, almost every side bloods draftees every season, especially the sides lower on the ladder.

I'm pretty confident that if Grimes wasn't injured & Maric didn't have school they both would've played a lot more then they did. Maybe those 2 will keep this years draftees out of the side a little, but i fully expect at least 1 or 2 of our draftees to play 10+ games.

Sorry Headless stole your format. I think Strauss will play most of the year. You dont draft 6 players and play none of them. He is a bigger sized midfielder and I expect him to play the role Chris Johnson did this year. With his foot skills he could be used to set play up. Maric will also play a lot more footy this year and I expect him to push Aussie out. Look for Grimes to put pressure on Jones this year. if Rivers is fit one of Martin or Warnock will miss out. Martin however may be second Ruck by the end of next year. I would love Frawley to make the step up but I have doubts sadly. I rearly hope I am wrong

Of the new boys I expect​
  • Jetta may play a couple of games due to his attack at the contest​
  • Blease may be similar to Morton this year but will not be suprised if he only plays a few games. He is doing year 12 as well so may be held back but with his pace and foot skills he could be a chance. Could be similar to a Dale Thomas in his first year on a Wing or Half Forward​
  • Bail appears ready to step straight in as well.​
  • Bennell wont play much. Very slight​

B Matthew Whelan; Colin Garland; James StraussB
HB Jared Rivers; Matthew Warnock; Cameron Bruce HB
C Cale Morton; Brent Moloney; Brad Green C
HF Matthew Bate; Brad Miller;Aaron Davey HF
F Colin Sylvia; Russell Robertson; Jack Watts F
R Paul Johnson, Brock McLean, Jack Grimes R
I/C Addam Maric; Simon Buckley; Nathan Jones; Mark Jamar I/C

E James McDonald; Stefan Martin; Paul Wheatley E

-Aussie
-Ricky Petterd
- Sam Blease
- Jamie Bennell
- Neville Jetta
- Rohan Bail
- Shane Valenti
- Lynden Dunn
- Daniel Bell
- Clint Bartram
- James Frawley
- Michael Newton
- Kyle Cheney
- Tom McNamara
- Jake Spencer
- Trent Zomer

Meesen (He will be on the bench in Casey's 2's)​

Very difficult to do as we don't really have any 'standouts' as of yet, everyone just seems to be on the same level.
I'd be interested to see an opposition supporter take this on.
Anyway here's mine for 2009:

B Matthew Whelan, James Frawley, Stefan Martin
HB Jared Rivers, Colin Garland, Simon Buckley
C Cale Morton, Brock Mclean, Cameron Bruce
HF Aaron Davey, Matthew Bate, Brad Green
F Russell Robertson, Brad Miller, Colin Sylvia

R Mark Jamar, Lynden Dunn, Brent Moloney
Int Paul Johnson, James Mcdonald, Ricky Petterd, James Strauss/ Jack Grimes(Depending on whether we want inside our outside)

Emg Nathan Jones, Austin Wonaeamirri, Matthew Warnock

However, I think it's worth doing one for our 26 and under players seeing as those over 26 won't be around for our next premiership attempt.
26 and under:

B James Frawley, Stefan Martin, Jack Grimes
HB Jared Rivers, Colin Garland, James Strauss
C Cale Morton, Brock Mclean, Sam Blease
HF Aaron Davey, Matthew Bate, Colin Sylvia
F Brad Miller, Jack Watts, Addam Maric

R Mark Jamar, Lynden Dunn, Brent Moloney
Int Paul Johnson, Nathan Jones, Ricky Petterd, Simon Buckley

Emg Tom Mcnamara, Austin Wonaeamirri, Matthew Warnock

On the back of another massive preseason, I'm starting the 'Unleash the Meese' bandwagon. Feel free to join anytime, but be warned, seats are limited and joining after he is let loose is not allowed.

I've styled my best 22 Bailey style, ie: there will be some older players who won't get a gig because they interfere with the direction of the club.

B. Bartram Frawley Garland
HB Green Rivers Petterd
W Morton McLean Davey
HF Bate Miller Maric
FF Bruce Robbo Wonaeamirri
R P Johnson Sylvia Buckley
INT Grimes, Moloney, Meesen, Jones

Not included and will find it hard to earn selection ala Yze/White: Whelan, J McDonald, Warnock, Jamar

On the cusp and could be easily inserted into the side: Martin, Dunn, Wheatley, Newton, Watts

Will not see next year: Bell, Spencer, Valenti (Shame, but unless injuries curse us again...)

The rest will either stay in the 2's developing or push for selection.

Which 4 would they be? I'm assuming the one you think is ready is Jetta because he's played some senior WAFL games this year and you can get away being a bit undersized as a forward pocket/HF. But why wouldn't Strauss play regularly next year? What makes him different to Meyers, Masten, Ebert, Palmer, Ward, Scott Selwood, Steven Browne, Bird, who all played in the first half of their first seasons?
Strauss was the one I had in contention. Didn't have Jetta in because of the strength of players he will be competing with. If more than a couple of them are playing then either they are going very well or it is a sign that we have injuries and players out of form so we are blooding youngsters.

I want to see them all play, but I think with less players injured at the start of preseason and no old players to put on the back burner (Neitz, Holland, Carroll, White, Yze being 5 players who rarely played last year) that competition will be much fiercer next year, which will be a reason for some improvement.

It's common to have a first year player do something, but I think to label them best 22 right now is rediculous, even for the number 1 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back