Remove this Banner Ad

Milliams : Tarrant : Thompson
EVW : Durdin : Macmillan
Clarke : Dumont : Atley
Hrovat : Waite : Higgins
Thomas : Daw : Preuss

Goldstein : Ziebell : Swallow

Mountford : Gibson : McDonald : Simpkin
The side just about picks itself based on injuries, suspensions, and pre-season form. The only obvious change would come about from BBB getting up for the JLT3 and doing well, perhaps Hibberd or Wagner making a strong case in that game too, or maybe Mullett or Turner a chance. The rookies would be unlikely. There actually aren't that many options left.

For swallow wont be best 22 by mid year especially once we get a somewhat full strength 22 available

Not bad, needs more Mountford.

Mine:

Mc Donald Tarrant Williams
Thompson Durdin EVW
Clarke Ziebell Atley
Higgins Waite. Hrovat
Thomas. Daw. Brown/Preuss
Goldy. Swallow. Dumont

Mountford. Gibson Macmillan Turner

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think our only difference is Hibberd/Mountford. Yeah, i think it can go either way. I wasn't sure who should take the other bench spot, the options aren't great.

For swallow wont be best 22 by mid year especially once we get a somewhat full strength 22 available

We haven't been remotely close to best 22 for 5 years and they are dropping like flies already.

For round 1:

Suspended/Injured/Underdone:

Cunnington – Brown – Anderson – Mullett – Hansen – Jacobs – Wood – Ahern – Wright – Nielsen - Garner

Defensive group:
B: Vickers-Willis – Tarrant – Thompson
HB: McDonald – Durdin – Williams
Sweeper: Macmillan

I like that group. A lot. Competitive, pacy and composed for the most part. Sammy Wright should be worried about getting his place back because EVW and Williams have fit in beautifully, and Durdin looks set to release Hunter to the third tall role. Macmillan in as the spare parts/general who marshals and sets up the troops and provides relief by dropping into space when needed.

Wings:
Atley and Gibson

Probably the most misunderstood role in footy. Outside link up? Check. Ability to stretch opposition set ups through gut running? Check. Smarts to see the pending smack in the face through defensive transition? Check. Ability to break lines? Check. Contested ability? Check. Collectively these two bring all these things.

On Ball division:
Goldy – Ziebell – Swallow – Higgins – Dumont – Clarke - Mountford

Goldy back as a fit ruck, Ziebell, Swallow and Dumont to bring the contested grit, Higgins, Clarke and Mountford to get it done inside and out. Nice mix. Add Simpkin, Thomas and Hrovat as rotations and it looks a competitive and well balanced group.

Forwards:
HF: Simpkin – Waite – Hrovat
F: Thomas – Preuss – Daw

Preussy over McKay at this stage, Waite and Daw as marking targets is fairly imposing, especially if the mids can get the job done. Thomas, Simpkin and Rat buzzing around with Higgins, JZ and Dumont resting forward.

Emg: Turner – McKay – Hibberd

Round 1.

B: Thompson - Tarrant -Vickers-Willis
HB: Williams - Durdin - McDonald
C: MacMillan - Ziebell - Atley
HF: Simpkin - Waite - Mountford
F: Thomas - Goldstein - Brown
R: Preuss - Dumont - Higgins
I: Zurhaar - Hrovat - Clarke - Hibberd

Em: McKay - Turner - Daw
Wood - Cunnington - Garner
Jacobs - Wright - Hansen
Anderson - Ahern - Nielson
Watson - Taylor - Jilliams
Swallow - Gibson - Wagner

Gibson shouldn't be even considered, played a half against Sydney and was beyond terrible.

For round 1:

Suspended/Injured/Underdone:

Cunnington – Brown – Anderson – Mullett – Hansen – Jacobs – Wood – Ahern – Wright – Nielsen - Garner

Defensive group:
B: Vickers-Willis – Tarrant – Thompson
HB: McDonald – Durdin – Williams
Sweeper: Macmillan

I like that group. A lot. Competitive, pacy and composed for the most part. Sammy Wright should be worried about getting his place back because EVW and Williams have fit in beautifully, and Durdin looks set to release Hunter to the third tall role. Macmillan in as the spare parts/general who marshals and sets up the troops and provides relief by dropping into space when needed.

Wings:
Atley and Gibson

Probably the most misunderstood role in footy. Outside link up? Check. Ability to stretch opposition set ups through gut running? Check. Smarts to see the pending smack in the face through defensive transition? Check. Ability to break lines? Check. Contested ability? Check. Collectively these two bring all these things.

On Ball division:
Goldy – Ziebell – Swallow – Higgins – Dumont – Clarke - Mountford

Goldy back as a fit ruck, Ziebell, Swallow and Dumont to bring the contested grit, Higgins, Clarke and Mountford to get it done inside and out. Nice mix. Add Simpkin, Thomas and Hrovat as rotations and it looks a competitive and well balanced group.

Forwards:
HF: Simpkin – Waite – Hrovat
F: Thomas – Preuss – Daw

Preussy over McKay at this stage, Waite and Daw as marking targets is fairly imposing, especially if the mids can get the job done. Thomas, Simpkin and Rat buzzing around with Higgins, JZ and Dumont resting forward.

Emg: Turner – McKay – Hibberd
Nicely done. That's pretty much my round 1 team as well, although I suspect that Turner will play ahead of Simpkin or Mountford and Brown will play, even if he doesn't get up for the third JLT game.

Only a minor thing, but I genuinely think we can include Dumont in the group that can do it inside and out. He's so much more than just a contested 'bull.'

Nicely done. That's pretty much my round 1 team as well, although I suspect that Turner will play ahead of Simpkin or Mountford and Brown will play, even if he doesn't get up for the third JLT game.

Only a minor thing, but I genuinely think we can include Dumont in the group that can do it inside and out. He's so much more than just a contested 'bull.'

Playing Brown without a JLT game would be a big mistake in my opinion.

The guy has hurt his knee in every year at the club. Let's get him 100% and develop Preuss, give Mckay a taste, and give Maj and extended run at it to see what he can do.

Playing Brown without a JLT game would be a big mistake in my opinion.

The guy has hurt his knee in every year at the club. Let's get him 100% and develop Preuss, give Mckay a taste, and give Maj and extended run at it to see what he can do.
I agree, but I can see him playing off limited preparation regardless. IIRC he's struggled in every pre-season since he's been here but has played early on since he has been established in the side.

Playing Brown would be a mistake due to limited prep and i also don't believe he would work well with Preuss (who i would like to see in the side) due to both being relatively slow. Daw on the other hand provides a point of difference with his athleticism and should be afforded opportunity. The Longest stretch of consecutive games he's ever been given is 5... 5! give the lad time and if after half a dozen he doesn't show anything then fine move on to the next. Majak has not been gifted a stretch of games for a period of time like so many players before him and currently in the side. i.e. Gibson a perennial undeperformer gets a game week upon week when he really isn't deserving of it but Scott sticks with him and keeps faith. Daw deserves this same treatment.

Playing Brown would be a mistake due to limited prep and i also don't believe he would work well with Preuss (who i would like to see in the side) due to both being relatively slow. Daw on the other hand provides a point of difference with his athleticism and should be afforded opportunity. The Longest stretch of consecutive games he's ever been given is 5... 5! give the lad time and if after half a dozen he doesn't show anything then fine move on to the next. Majak has not been gifted a stretch of games for a period of time like so many players before him and currently in the side. i.e. Gibson a perennial undeperformer gets a game week upon week when he really isn't deserving of it but Scott sticks with him and keeps faith. Daw deserves this same treatment.

You were doing well until you classified Gibson as a perennial underperformer. He's the opposite of that, provides exactly what is asked of him 19 weeks out of every 20 IMHO.

You were doing well until you classified Gibson as a perennial underperformer. He's the opposite of that, provides exactly what is asked of him 19 weeks out of every 20 IMHO.
fair enough, each to their own and thats your opinion but i feel that with the direction the team is moving in (youth) , someone like Mountford might be a better option this year to persist with as he is beginning his career and has definite upside whereas Gibson, whilst being a serviceable contributor, has reached his peak and is now on the way down. I'd also prefer to see a youngster such as mountford make skill errors due to him being able to rectify them at a young age whereas it helps no one when Gibson does it because theres not much time for him to learn from his errors and at age 30, simple kicking errors cannot be fixed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fair enough, each to their own and thats your opinion but i feel that with the direction the team is moving in (youth) , someone like Mountford might be a better option this year to persist with as he is beginning his career and has definite upside whereas Gibson, whilst being a serviceable contributor, has reached his peak and is now on the way down. I'd also prefer to see a youngster such as mountford make skill errors due to him being able to rectify them at a young age whereas it helps no one when Gibson does it because theres not much time for him to learn from his errors and at age 30, simple kicking errors cannot be fixed.

That's fine but a new direction for this year or a more youth orientated focus doesn't = perennial underachiever. There's no need to slag his performances just to prove a point for the future.

Given our serious personnel issues, it's at least heartening that the 2 guys we traded in for next to nothing are consensus picks in our best side. I'm beginning to genuinely believe that we can be a better team than last year if we can get our best side on the park (though that's a big if at this point).

The Cunnington suspension :( removes the dilemma about whether Swallow plays, but only for a week (or two if we unsuccessfully challenge). My updated team looks like this:

B: M Williams - Tarrant - EVW
HB: Thompson - Durdin - McDonald
C: Gibson - Ziebell - Macmillan
HF: Higgins - Waite - Hrovat
F: Thomas - Daw - Preuss
Foll: Goldstein - Dumont - Atley
Int: Swallow - Clarke - Mountford - Simpkin
Emerg: Hansen - Hibberd - Turner

If Simpkin isn't yet ready for 100% game time then I'd play Turner, and Wagner or You don't mess with the Zurhaar (someone else came up with that but I reckon it's perfect for him) to come into the emergencies.

Very exciting with 5 debutants and 2 new to the club. 1/3 of the team!

Shouldn't get too worked up about pre-season results, but I just can't wait for this season to start to see what we can do! :)

This is what I'd like to see as our Round 1 team if Brad is serious about change - 5 new debutants is a lot even for Brad.

Back 6 : a lot of teams have new guys Williams EVW and Durdin, no Wright, no Hansen
but we are playing WC
Darling Petrie and Kennedy - kicked 1,000 goals between em plus LeCras he goes all rite
and in the middle they have priddis gaff and Shuey plus Jetta

We really don't want Durdin to get smashed Week 1

Back 6 : a lot of teams have new guys Williams EVW and Durdin, no Wright, no Hansen
but we are playing WC
Darling Petrie and Kennedy - kicked 1,000 goals between em plus LeCras he goes all rite
and in the middle they have priddis gaff and Shuey plus Jetta

We really don't want Durdin to get smashed Week 1
That will certainly be the interesting area of the ground come week 1 and it should be a good test for our young back line. I'm thinking something like:

Tarrant - Kennedy
Thompson - Darling
Durdin - resting ruckman (Petrie/Vardy)
EVW - Hill
Williams - LeCras
McDonald - Cripps

Oh FFS the anti-Gibson brigade is out in full force again. For the 109th time, you're all going to be disappointed when he gets selected in the round 1 side. I would put my house on it: if he's not injured, he'll play.
Yep, no way the AFL's current Ironman has his streak broken in Round 1 coming off a career best year with a 3rd in the B&F. He'll be ready to go.

Yep, no way the AFL's current Ironman has his streak broken in Round 1 coming off a career best year with a 3rd in the B&F. He'll be ready to go.

LOL... Ironman. Ironflog who kicks like Tin-man after a 7 week session in a crack den.

The team has gone past him, anyone who would prefer to see this fraud make mistakes over Hibberd or Mountford just doesn't get it.

Are we overrating Simpkin based on three quarters of a JLT Series game?

Kid showed he has the goods, not disputing that at all, but is that enough to give him a Round 1 berth against a side challenging for top four?

Then again, we've always been gun-shy when it comes to giving games to our kids, whereas the likes of Collingwood and Hawthorn aren't afraid to wheel out youngsters in big matches.

:)North top five with whatever team we put up

That will certainly be the interesting area of the ground come week 1 and it should be a good test for our young back line. I'm thinking something like:

Tarrant - Kennedy
Thompson - Darling
Durdin - resting ruckman (Petrie/Vardy)
EVW - Hill
Williams - LeCras
McDonald - Cripps

Yep, I like those matchups, but I'd swap Williams to Hill to match speed and EVW to spoil Lecca

Remove this Banner Ad

Back