Prediction Best 22 for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I also want to see the younger guys given more responsibility, but I am wary of a sudden change in selection policy after seven years.

Not going to happen, sadly. As Kimbo and FG said, he will most likely play Swallow, Hansen, Thompson, Gibson over the younger guys regardless of performance. The only thing I understand is playing Waite. If he stays on the park, he is our best forward and awesome to watch.

I'll be really pissed if we don't priorietise the development of youth and a bottom 6 finish. No more than 3 of Thompson, Hansen, Gibson, Swallow & Waite to be picked unless injury demands it.

The Cunnington suspension :( removes the dilemma about whether Swallow plays, but only for a week (or two if we unsuccessfully challenge). My updated team looks like this:

B: M Williams - Tarrant - EVW
HB: Thompson - Durdin - McDonald
C: Gibson - Ziebell - Macmillan
HF: Higgins - Waite - Hrovat
F: Thomas - Daw - Preuss
Foll: Goldstein - Dumont - Atley
Int: Swallow - Clarke - Mountford - Simpkin
Emerg: Hansen - Hibberd - Turner

If Simpkin isn't yet ready for 100% game time then I'd play Turner, and Wagner or You don't mess with the Zurhaar (someone else came up with that but I reckon it's perfect for him) to come into the emergencies.

Very exciting with 5 debutants and 2 new to the club. 1/3 of the team!

Shouldn't get too worked up about pre-season results, but I just can't wait for this season to start to see what we can do! :)
My updated Rd 1 team based on Brown and Wright being available when I'd previously ruled them out:

B: M Williams - Tarrant - Wright
HB: Thompson - Durdin - McDonald
C: Gibson - Ziebell - Macmillan
HF: Higgins - Waite - Hrovat
F: Thomas - Brown - Turner
Foll: Goldstein - Dumont - Atley
Int: Swallow - Clarke - Daw - Simpkin
Emerg: EVW - Hibberd - Mountford

In: Brown, Wright & Turner
Out: Preuss, EVW & Mountford

Even off one Werribee practice game, Brown still offers more than Daw has shown so far this pre-season. So it then came down to which of Daw or Preuss make way. Whilst Preuss has shown some good signs, he still needs to work on his tank and Daw offers more in terms of flexibility. I'm also still hoping that with some continuity Daw will hit some form and really deserve a spot.

Seen some really good signs from EVW and he will play a fair bit of senior footy this year, but Wright being available is an automatic inclusion. Did toss up between EVW and Thompson, but whilst Thompson did look rusty on Friday and he won't ever get back to his best, he's still the better option at this point in time (noting that I haven't written off finals just yet like some).

I had underrated Turner's preseason last time around and I think he should be in the team. Went with Mountford out in the end. With Brown being a bit underdone and Daw still building form an extra small forward will come in handy. With the likes of Thomas rotating through the midfield we have enough numbers through there so was again tossing up between Swallow and Mountford. Swallow was pretty good on Friday and whilst coughed it up too much, still did more than enough to be in the team.

Not as young as previously, but still 2 debutants and 2 new to the club. I'm in favour of going in with experience if form warrants it, until such time as finals are out of reach (which could be as early as the end of round 4). But once we can't make finals the youth has to take priority.

Last edited:
That's my 22 for round one:

B: Marley Williams, Robbie Tarrant, Sam Wright
HB: Luke McDonald, Sam Durdin, Scott Thompson
C: Shaun Atley, Jack Ziebell, Jamie Macmillan
HF: Lindsay Thomas, Jarrod Waite, Shaun Higgins
F: Kayne Turner, Ben Brown, Nathan Hrovat
Foll: Todd Goldstein, Trent Dumont, Andrew Swallow
I/C: Ryan Clarke, Declan Mountford, Sam Gibson, Jy Simpkin

What I actually think will happen is Durdin and Mountford will miss out for Daw and Hansen.

NORTH MELBOURNE v West Coast, Etihad Stadium, Sunday, March 26, 1.10pm AEDT

B: Marley Williams, Scott Thompson, Sam Wright
HB: Luke McDonald, Robbie Tarrant, Sam Durdin
HF: Nathan Hrovat, Ben Brown, Shaun Higgins
F: Lindsay Thomas, Jarrad Waite, Majak Daw
I/C: Ryan Clarke, Declan Mountford, Kayne Turner, Jy Simpkin

New faces: Sam Durdin, Nathan Hrovat, Declan Mountford, Jy Simpkin, Marley Williams

Missing with injury/suspension: Jed Anderson (shoulder, 1 week), Ben Cunnington (suspension, 1 week), Taylor Garner (hip, 2 weeks), Ben Jacobs (foot, 4-6 weeks), Oscar Junker (broken tibia, 12-14 weeks), Mason Wood (hamstring, 4-6 weeks)

Notes: Ben Brown is an automatic inclusion if he can prove his fitness in a VFL practice match on Saturday. Braydon Preuss is unlucky to miss after an impressive JLT Community Series, but we've given Majak Daw the nod as support ruckman given he's more likely to have an impact in attack. North preferred a two-talls backline for much of 2016 but given the Eagles' tall forward line we've included Sam Durdin as a third key backman, the 20-year-old edging out veteran Lachlan Hansen and medium defender Ed Vickers-Willis. We also opted for youth over experience in the midfield, overlooking Sam Gibson in favour of second-year tagger Declan Mountford. - Nick Bowen

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-14/who-plays-in-round-one

Nick Bowen is obviously a member of this board. Really like his team though! :thumbsu:

NORTH MELBOURNE v West Coast, Etihad Stadium, Sunday, March 26, 1.10pm AEDT

HB: Luke McDonald, Robbie Tarrant, Sam Durdin
HF: Nathan Hrovat, Ben Brown, Shaun Higgins
F: Lindsay Thomas, Jarrad Waite, Majak Daw
I/C: Ryan Clarke, Declan Mountford, Kayne Turner, Jy Simpkin

New faces: Sam Durdin, Nathan Hrovat, Declan Mountford, Jy Simpkin, Marley Williams

Missing with injury/suspension: Jed Anderson (shoulder, 1 week), Ben Cunnington (suspension, 1 week), Taylor Garner (hip, 2 weeks), Ben Jacobs (foot, 4-6 weeks), Oscar Junker (broken tibia, 12-14 weeks), Mason Wood (hamstring, 4-6 weeks)

Notes: Ben Brown is an automatic inclusion if he can prove his fitness in a VFL practice match on Saturday. Braydon Preuss is unlucky to miss after an impressive JLT Community Series, but we've given Majak Daw the nod as support ruckman given he's more likely to have an impact in attack. North preferred a two-talls backline for much of 2016 but given the Eagles' tall forward line we've included Sam Durdin as a third key backman, the 20-year-old edging out veteran Lachlan Hansen and medium defender Ed Vickers-Willis. We also opted for youth over experience in the midfield, overlooking Sam Gibson in favour of second-year tagger Declan Mountford. - Nick Bowen

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-14/who-plays-in-round-one

Nick Bowen is obviously a member of this board. Really like his team though! :thumbsu:
Exactly my team, except for Gibson and mountford.

Worth remembering the club's attitude this preseason, that in no way are they expecting to bottom out or rebuild.

Playing 5-6 debutants against the most experienced team in the league historically isn't a great way to win a game.

With the Weagles' away record I reckon we're a big chance to win it. So if it's only 1-2 debutants (Durds, EVW, Jy?) plus Marley and the Rat I won't be too disappointed.

But if we get to round ten and still have guys like Gibbo, Spitta, Lachie and Thommo in the side and out of form when there's kids pushing for selection it will be pretty maddening.

Fox has a crack at our best 22 for round 1.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the...7/news-story/59fad4feb19fb76d6b28f00b3a10c9a4

NORTH MELBOURNE

INJURIES have forced most of the changes to North Melbourne’s best 22, but a few form rises and drops have also contributed. Mason Wood (hamstring), Jed Anderson (shoulder) and Ben Jacobs (foot) are all unavailable for Round 1 due to injury, while Ben Cunnington also has to serve a suspension for rough conduct. Enter young duo Ed Vickers-Willis and Mitch Hibberd, who both played all three JLT games and impressed throughout various stages. Sam Wright is finally fit, so he comes in, while Trent Dumont’s ability to accumulate possessions throughout the pre-season sees him cement his spot. The big dilemma surrounds the big man battle between Braydon Preuss and Majak Daw — and we’ve given the nod to soon-to-be-upgraded rookie Preuss, due to his ability to hit the scoreboard and influence more ruck contests over the summer.

B: Jamie Macmillan, Scott Thompson, Luke McDonald

HB: Ed Vickers-Willis, Robbie Tarrant, Marley Williams

C: Shaun Atley, Jack Ziebell, Trent Dumont

HF: Shaun Higgins, Jarrad Waite, Nathan Hrovat

F: Kayne Turner, Ben Brown, Lindsay Thomas

FOLL: Todd Goldstein, Andrew Swallow, Sam Gibson

I/C: Ryan Clarke, Braydon Preuss, Mitch Hibberd, Sam Wright

EMG: Jy Simpkin, Majak Daw, Taylor Garner

OTHERS: Ben Cunnington, Ben Jacobs, Jed Anderson, Mason Wood, Paul Ahern, Nick Larkey, Ben McKay, Declan Mountford, Daniel Nielson, Corey Wagner, Declan Watson, Josh Williams, Sam Durdin, Lachie Hansen, Aaron Mullett

ROOKIES: Will Fordham, Oscar Junker, Matthew Taylor, Cameron Zurhaar

That's my 22 for round one:

B: Marley Williams, Robbie Tarrant, Sam Wright
HB: Luke McDonald, Sam Durdin, Scott Thompson
HF: Lindsay Thomas, Jarrod Waite, Shaun Higgins
F: Kayne Turner, Ben Brown, Nathan Hrovat
I/C: Ryan Clarke, Declan Mountford, Sam Gibson, Jy Simpkin

What I actually think will happen is Durdin and Mountford will miss out for Daw and Hansen.

good team. plenty of run. 1st game of the year can be a bit of run fest. If Brown is fit enough to play 10% ruck, Durdin 10% ruck, then Goldy 80%. No need to play Daw. play another mid type instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm backing in Lachie to be our 22....and want him in it. I prefer this over Durdin at this stage. Although as I mentioned last week, I think Durdin is the perfect match up for the Chicken Darling.....or is that the Darling Chicken......but for round 1 I will start with Lachie until he clearly shows me he is past it.

I'm backing in Lachie to be our 22....and want him in it. I prefer this over Durdin at this stage. Although as I mentioned last week, I think Durdin is the perfect match up for the Chicken Darling.....or is that the Darling Chicken......but for round 1 I will start with Lachie until he clearly shows me he is past it.
Durdin has had a 10x better pre-season. Pick on form, not age.

Durdin has had a 10x better pre-season. Pick on form, not age.
Thats just preseason and I am going with experience where I can in a round 1 match to give the best chance of winning. Some people here floating too many first gamers in a round 1 clash IMO. Which I agree with hat MrJoel said.

I dont have an issue if Durdin gets a game ahead of him, but just stating my preference is Lachie at least for round 1 anyway.

Thats just preseason and I am going with experience where I can in a round 1 match to give the best chance of winning. Some people here floating too many first gamers in a round 1 clash IMO. Which I agree with hat MrJoel said.

I dont have an issue if Durdin gets a game ahead of him, but just stating my preference is Lachie at least for round 1 anyway.
He is underdone, and was so bad in his one pre-season game. Needs to build form in the VFL and earn a spot... if he can.

This is SEN's Inside Football best 22. Injured players are included unless theyre been ruled out for the season, like Sam Day.

NORTH MELBOURNE

HB: Jamie MacMillan, Robbie Tarrant, Luke McDonald,

C: Sam Gibson, Ben Cunnington, Shaun Atley

HF: Shaun Higgins, Jarrad Waite, Mason Wood

F: Lindsay Thomas, Ben Brown, Kayne Turner

Foll: Todd Goldstein, Jack Ziebell, Andrew Swallow

Int: Nathan Hrovat, Ben Jacobs, Aaron Mullett, Taylor Garner

Emg: Brayden Preuss, Ryan Clarke, Mitch Hibberd

This is SEN's Inside Football best 22. Injured players are included unless theyre been ruled out for the season, like Sam Day.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Dumont not even an emergency let alone best 22??!! Seriously, SEN......

RJvyr7T.gif

NORTH MELBOURNE

Picked by the work experience kid?

He is underdone, and was so bad in his one pre-season game. Needs to build form in the VFL and earn a spot... if he can.
Yeah i just don't see Hansen being the answer for rnd 1 going on one average pre season game.
I'd go with Durdin and EVW who have both had a better preperation.
Win or lose we have to start putting faith into these players and the only way to do that is rewarding them with a spot in the 22.

Last edited:
Fox has a crack at our best 22 for round 1.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the...7/news-story/59fad4feb19fb76d6b28f00b3a10c9a4

NORTH MELBOURNE

INJURIES have forced most of the changes to North Melbourne’s best 22, but a few form rises and drops have also contributed. Mason Wood (hamstring), Jed Anderson (shoulder) and Ben Jacobs (foot) are all unavailable for Round 1 due to injury, while Ben Cunnington also has to serve a suspension for rough conduct. Enter young duo Ed Vickers-Willis and Mitch Hibberd, who both played all three JLT games and impressed throughout various stages. Sam Wright is finally fit, so he comes in, while Trent Dumont’s ability to accumulate possessions throughout the pre-season sees him cement his spot. The big dilemma surrounds the big man battle between Braydon Preuss and Majak Daw — and we’ve given the nod to soon-to-be-upgraded rookie Preuss, due to his ability to hit the scoreboard and influence more ruck contests over the summer.

B: Jamie Macmillan, Scott Thompson, Luke McDonald

HB: Ed Vickers-Willis, Robbie Tarrant, Marley Williams

C: Shaun Atley, Jack Ziebell, Trent Dumont

HF: Shaun Higgins, Jarrad Waite, Nathan Hrovat

F: Kayne Turner, Ben Brown, Lindsay Thomas

FOLL: Todd Goldstein, Andrew Swallow, Sam Gibson

I/C: Ryan Clarke, Braydon Preuss, Mitch Hibberd, Sam Wright

EMG: Jy Simpkin, Majak Daw, Taylor Garner

OTHERS: Ben Cunnington, Ben Jacobs, Jed Anderson, Mason Wood, Paul Ahern, Nick Larkey, Ben McKay, Declan Mountford, Daniel Nielson, Corey Wagner, Declan Watson, Josh Williams, Sam Durdin, Lachie Hansen, Aaron Mullett

ROOKIES: Will Fordham, Oscar Junker, Matthew Taylor, Cameron Zurhaar

Too small in defence against WC. Swap EVW FOR Durdin. Preuss won't play imo, can't run out a preseason game with an extended bench let alone a proper game. Swap Preuss for Maj & Hibberd for Mountford.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back