Analysis Best 22 for 2019?

Using his time trial result, I'd love for us to plonk him forward and say 'just blow up your defender and jump at everything.'

Not many teams have two key defenders that can play on 200cm forwards.

Especially now that numbers are even from a centre clearance.

And we have a bunch of new (and fairly new), fast, skilled delivery boys. (Rubs hands together).

Every now and then I think stuff like that and just can't wait for next season.

I don't usually do these things but I could see a "best" 22 of ...

B: Williams Tarrant EVW
HB: ....... Thompson ......
C: Polec Cunnington .......
HF: Simpkin Brown/McKay .......
F: Ziebell McKay/Brown ........
Foll: Goldstein Higgins Jacobs

That leaves 9 spots from Ahern, Anderson, Atley, Davies-Uniacke, Daw, Dumont, Garner, Hall, Hrovat, McDonald, Macmillan, Murphy, Pittard, Tyson, Turner, Walker, Wood, Zurhaar and thats before considering other players who could push into the side. Also think that Daw could rotate forward - he and McKay could swap and at times Taz could too (but under limited circumstances). Some of these players are in this group cos they are borderline some cos they are able to rotate thru a variety of positions including the ones I've left blank.

The players I've bolded are the ones I think will be playing finals if available. I know McDonald, Macmillan and Turner might seem hard to fit in but they are all better players than most here rate them. I've left one space clear and the italics are the ones I think will be in line. Its hard to go past players who've played in winning finals for us if they are available and in form. Ats, Hrovat and Pittard obviously have the most work in front of them. Ats and Pittard could be competing for similar roles. Tom Wilkinson (the Sword) could also push his way into the best side if he gets then takes his chances. Depends how good he actually is.

That is how I see our best side panning out next year.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I do not envy the selection committee one iota. Going to be tough to pick a side round 1, but this is what I think it might look like.
Near misses:
- LDU: I would have him in over Tyson but feel like Tyson will get the nod
- Pittard: Would prefer him over JMAC but won't happen (will probably be EVW who doesn't get picked)

FB Williams Mckay Macmillan
HB McDonald Daw Tarrant
C Polec Cunnington Dumont
HF Anderson Wood Ziebell
FF Simpkin Brown Atley
Foll Goldstein Jacobs Higgins
I/C EVW Ahern Tyson
Hall
Like that team, but still think thompson plays when he is fit.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 19, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
S.A Spurs, Liverpool
I think the coaching staff drop a few previously 'locked' players after one or two games early on.

This seems the actual (not theoretical) message that games are earned and everyone needs to bring it every week. That'll pay dividends all through the year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This seems the actual (not theoretical) message that games are warned and everyone needs to bring it every week. That'll pay dividends all through the year.

Here's hoping. Our biggest issue was usable depth that could've warranted dropping typically locked players, we either had too inexperienced players or nothing at all.

Now our younger pool of talent has grown enough to warrant games, our trades have ready to go experience and we have dynamic positional players to shift around.

For now the coaching staff admit the best 22 is not going to be easy to decide, and I hope that carries through each week at the selection table.

I think the coaching staff drop a few previously 'locked' players after one or two games early on.

This seems the actual (not theoretical) message that games are warned and everyone needs to bring it every week. That'll pay dividends all through the year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually think off season has typically been the time when we're more inclined to make unforced changes. Of course it is probably different bringing 25+ year olds into the team as opposed to giving the untested younger guy first shot at things...

Fascinating though. At face value Hall, Tyson, Polec, Pittard & Wilkinson have reasonable claims at taking a spot from incumbents and that is without even looking at the younger ones like LDU, Walker etc that will be expecting to push for one this year. Bring on the intra club.

Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
B Williams Tarrant McKay
HB Pittard Daw Murphy
C Polec LDU Hall
HF Ahern Wood Thomas
F Simpkin Brown Ziebell
R Goldstein Higgins Cunnington
IC Jacobs Anderson Walker EVW

Ins and outs from Brad's best 22:

Ins: McKay, Pittard,Murphy, Polec, LDU, Hall, Thomas and Walker
Outs: McDonald, Dumont, Thompson, Atley, Wright, Turner, Waite and McMillan

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
B Williams Tarrant McKay
HB Pittard Daw Murphy
C Polec LDU Hall
HF Ahern Wood Thomas
F Simpkin Brown Ziebell
R Goldstein Higgins Cunnington
IC Jacobs Anderson Walker EVW

Ins and outs from Brad's best 22:

Ins: McKay, Pittard,Murphy, Polec, LDU, Hall, Thomas and Walker
Outs: McDonald, Dumont, Thompson, Atley, Wright, Turner, Waite and Clarke

There’s more chance of Dumont winning the B&F than playing VFL next year.

Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There’s more chance of Dumont winning the B&F than playing VFL next year.
I'd like a piece of that action.We need to get our inside outside balance right. First in if any of the following are injured:

Cunnington, Ziebell, Anderson , Ahern and Jacobs.

Do you rate him ahead of any of those?

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
I'd like a piece of that action.We need to get our inside outside balance right. First in if any of the following are injured:

Cunnington, Ziebell, Anderson , Ahern and Jacobs.

Do you rate him ahead of any of those?

Jack is exclusively forward. He'd be ahead of Ahern also.

Ok, so, a team for next year with all players fit and in good form.

B - Williams Thompson Vickers-Willis

HB - JMac Tarrant Wright

C - Polec Cunnington McDonald

HF - Garner Wood Atley

F - Simpkin Brown Ziebell

R - Goldstein Higgins Jacobs

Int - Daw Anderson Dumont Ahern

Now there's some blokes in there on the basis that they are in "good form".

Luke McDonald is in on a wing because his best footy played there is really really good. If he produces crap, Pittard and/or Hall are in there in a flash.

I'm giving Sammy Wright the benefit that the full preseason will get his fitness back to top grade. Sammy has the balance, cool head and quality disposal good sides have out of defence. Tommy Murphy is in there very quickly if Sam gets hurt or Tom's form demands it.

On the half forward line, if Taylor Garner is fit, he is a best 18 player. Tackles like a demon, takes big grabs, kicks goals and sets other. In the unlikely event he gets injured, Will Walker has that spot spoken for. I can see Walker playing Rd1 as it is. He's going to be very very good.

Mason Wood simply has to deliver. He has to play like the first Sydney game more often and he simply cannot do his disappearing act. Larkey looms, Majak can go there to bring McKay back. Wood has make or break ahead of him.

Full forward picks itself but Jy is resting in that pocket, he will go through the middle a lot. Sugar needs more goals to go with his pressure, although Brad loves him. The Rat might be working hard with Boomer and he needs to.

Onballers there pick themselves. Goldy I reckon will have his best year since the AA. Higgins is an absolute jet. If Jacobs stays fit, he makes us such a more well rounded unit.

The bench is interesting. Majak is now our Mr Fixit. I'd like to see him play forward more, especially given he can't line up as floating back anymore.

Anderson and Dumont are both best 18 players who are on the bench for space. I reckon both can go up another notch too. Tyson comes straight in if there is an injury. Ahern rounds out the bench. LDU could be there too. He will play lots of footy this year, but for now, Ahern goes in ahead of him.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

HB - JMac Tarrant Wright

HF - Garner Wood Atley

Luke McDonald is in on a wing because his best footy played there is really really good. If he produces crap, Pittard and/or Hall are in there in a flash.

I'm giving Sammy Wright the benefit that the full preseason will get his fitness back to top grade. Sammy has the balance, cool head and quality disposal good sides have out of defence. Tommy Murphy is in there very quickly if Sam gets hurt or Tom's form demands it.

On the half forward line, if Taylor Garner is fit, he is a best 18 player. Tackles like a demon, takes big grabs, kicks goals and sets other. In the unlikely event he gets injured, Will Walker has that spot spoken for. I can see Walker playing Rd1 as it is. He's going to be very very good.

Mason Wood simply has to deliver. He has to play like the first Sydney game more often and he simply cannot do his disappearing act. Larkey looms, Majak can go there to bring McKay back. Wood has make or break ahead of him.

Full forward picks itself but Jy is resting in that pocket, he will go through the middle a lot. Sugar needs more goals to go with his pressure, although Brad loves him. The Rat might be working hard with Boomer and he needs to.

Onballers there pick themselves. Goldy I reckon will have his best year since the AA. Higgins is an absolute jet. If Jacobs stays fit, he makes us such a more well rounded unit.

The bench is interesting. Majak is now our Mr Fixit. I'd like to see him play forward more, especially given he can't line up as floating back anymore.

Anderson and Dumont are both best 18 players who are on the bench for space. I reckon both can go up another notch too. Tyson comes straight in if there is an injury. Ahern rounds out the bench. LDU could be there too. He will play lots of footy this year, but for now, Ahern goes in ahead of him.
I don't see Aaron Hall not in there if fit. Perhaps Pittard too. We have been after these two for a few years and I think Bradley will want to play with his shiny new toys if they are good to go.

Its gonna be a competitive preseason.

I don't see Aaron Hall not in there if fit. Perhaps Pittard too. We have been after these two for a few years and I think Bradley will want to play with his shiny new toys if they are good to go.

Yeah, me too, but I had put TG in though.

Hall could start on that wing but he was in the twos for the second worst side in the comp last year, where I've seen Luke McDonald play really top line footy in a North jumper.

There's every chance Hall is recruit of the comp for the year.

If I re-do this team the week of Rd1 when we have seen some pre season form and know who is fit, I reckon Hall is most likely in there.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

We've recruited these blokes for pretty specific roles. I reckon they'd have to stink up the trial games pretty badly not to be in the team Rd1.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If we go in with 2 changes to the regular 22 after recruiting for specific needs this off season, then we are ****ed.

I'd expect all of Hall, Polec & Pittard as instant 22, which means a minimum of 3 regulars gone.

Personally I'd go harder.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

HB - JMac Tarrant Wright

HF - Garner Wood Atley

That's pretty close to the mark IMO mate.

...........with the exception that B-Mac is IN!

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool

HB - JMac Tarrant Wright
HF - Garner Wood Atley

I guess your political progressiveness has to find a balance somewhere SRF. :p That's a really conservative set of selections there.

What's the opposite of 'The Whipping Boys Club?" "The Favourites Club?"

If we go in with 2 changes to the regular 22 after recruiting for specific needs this off season, then we are ******.

I'd expect all of Hall, Polec & Pittard as instant 22, which means a minimum of 3 regulars gone. Personally I'd go harder.

I'm with you on this guys. I think the new traded recruits will be 'front of mind' for the selectors, and perhaps 'front of queue.' Interesting to see that Tyson isn't being mentioned. Is that because he hasn't done a club interview yet? ;)

I want to see some genuine pressure on the likes of Jmac, Sammy, LMac and Atley in particular. If not, we're not serious. I don't think Garner is an automatic in; I'd like to think he too has to earn his way back in. Can't agree with Luke on a wing ahead of Dumont.

Back