Analysis Best 22 for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we had a multitude of quality smalls then I would agree, but in reality we've got a mid sizer who will be elite if he kicks straight in Ziebell, a tweener who has all the potential in the world but can't get his body right and is inconsistent in Wood and then mediocre pressure smalls like Turner and Hrovat. As we saw in the second half of the year, Brown can struggle without KPP support. The opposition will just double/triple team him and we don't have the smalls to take advantage of the contest that's created.

Brown's always been at his best playing with another KPF. If we don't think Larkey is ready, then Roughead could be the best available player so we can get the best out of Brown.
Brown, Wood, Ziebell, Hall, Atley, Simpkin, Garner, Zurhaar is enough forward power to compliment our midfield. The amount of ball going inside fifty just needs quality players being the recipients.
I think we’ll be fine.

Maj will be forward, McKay back. 2 ruckman needed next year and it is too hard having one playing defence. Maj will need to up his ruck time.

I prefer no Thompson and have EVW as the 3rd tall but not gonna happen.

Higgo will play more HF while we need someone like Polec off HB.

Random thoughts for October 1

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

2nd tall forward (CHF) is an interesting one for us. If we happen to be heading into finals next year, we may need one of Xerri, Larkey or McKay to be ready. Plan B :drunk: would be to have Ziebell, Wood and another marking medium (LDU, maybe Zurharr) doing the job with Daw and Goldy getting in there on the transition..... Could still be a weakness in the list.

IMO, CHF will be a rotating flexible role in our side next year.

Daw, Brown, Ziebell, and a smaller line up at times utilising Wood/Garner.

Brown is actually the player on our list that is best suited to the role, and he could take over that spot when Larkey matures, which I expect is still 12 months away.

I’d rather they try to coax Waitey out of retirement than get Roughhead

I've got alot of time for Roughhead as a player. I don't think he'd hurt us at all - in fact he'd be great - but I'd much rather W80 back even if he only played 7 H&A games and finals...

IMO, CHF will be a rotating flexible role in our side next year.

Daw, Brown, Ziebell, and a smaller line up at times utilising Wood/Garner.

Brown is actually the player on our list that is best suited to the role, and he could take over that spot when Larkey matures, which I expect is still 12 months away.

Back when Dish was still playing and the triple towers was a thing I thought that a few times. More because I wasn't sold on Brown as a dominant forward tho, he has certainly become that. But he is mobile, he is unselfish and brings other players into the game a bit like Duck did. It wouldn't hurt especially if teams decide to target him as a forward the way the Swans did in Sydney this year.

Back when Dish was still playing and the triple towers was a thing I thought that a few times. More because I wasn't sold on Brown as a dominant forward tho, he has certainly become that. But he is mobile, he is unselfish and brings other players into the game a bit like Duck did. It wouldn't hurt especially if teams decide to target him as a forward the way the Swans did in Sydney this year.

Browns tank is top shelf for a player of his type, and it's pretty hard to screen him on the wings.

B: Daw McKay Williams
HB: Macmillan Tarrant EVW
C: Gaff Cunnington Polec
HF: Ziebell Wood Hall
F: Simpkin Brown Atley
Foll: Goldstein Higgins Jacobs
Int: Dumont, Anderson, Newman, Ahern
Side still lacks players who have or can kick 30+ goals a season. Should let Gaff and Dumont spend more time on ball and Higgins more time up forward IMO.

Quick ball movement - often through the guts - will be the key to ensuring Browny cant get tripled teamed. BBB would have been extremely frustrated with that slow down the line 'ball movement' we were playing in the second half of this year - just rubbish football.

With these better/faster mids who can use the pill I expect us to completely change the way we move the ball - it should be a lot faster, more overlap and run with more precision by foot - and this will suit BBB, Wood, JZ and at times Daw when he is down there. The 6-6-6 rule will help us a lot given we should have mid field dominance most of the time.

I also expect us to have a lot of different 'looks' inside forward 50 this year - one thing is for sure though - it will be great to be a forward at North next year with the type of fast quality delivery they can be expecting.

Side still lacks players who have or can kick 30+ goals a season. Should let Gaff and Dumont spend more time on ball and Higgins more time up forward IMO.
Ziebell and wood capable of 30+
Brown 50+
Atley 15+
I’m pretty happy with that
Polec, Higgins, Cunnington and Gaff hitting brown on the tit will be beautiful :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ziebell and wood capable of 30+
Brown 50+
Atley 15+
I’m pretty happy with that
Polec, Higgins, Cunnington and Gaff hitting brown on the tit will be beautiful :D
We basically had those numbers last year and came 9th. Need an improvement.

We basically had those numbers last year and came 9th. Need an improvement.
Yeah kick straighter, avoid playing a waterpolo game, get full season out of our ragged, improvement from players like lmac and we will see improvement :p (gaff+polec)

With Gaff, Polec and Hall coming across and Waite the only best 22 no longer with us it’s seriously hard to do a best 22.

I know we say that most years but next year is just ridiculous.

Safe to say that the Simpkin midfield development stuff will be put on hold and he’ll forward 100%. McDonald will surely be backline 100%.

I can’t find a spot for LDU, Walker, Turner (assuming Garner is fit).

With Dumont and Anderson coming on and Jacobs fit it’s a bloody long and deep midfield.

With Gaff, Polec and Hall coming across and Waite the only best 22 no longer with us it’s seriously hard to do a best 22.

I know we say that most years but next year is just ridiculous.

Safe to say that the Simpkin midfield development stuff will be put on hold and he’ll forward 100%. McDonald will surely be backline 100%.

I can’t find a spot for LDU, Walker, Turner (assuming Garner is fit).

With Dumont and Anderson coming on and Jacobs fit it’s a bloody long and deep midfield.
Feeling better about finishing 9th now?

Feeling better about finishing 9th now?

As a matter of fact I am. I am happy to admit that we have improved our list in an arguably better manner than bottoming out (which I didn’t think was realistically possible).

Anderson and Jacobs are the 2 biggest reasons for that outside of the the additions of Polec and Gaff.

Bolstering the midfield to the extent we have in such a short period is some very impressive work.

It's almost impossible to even consider a best 22 atm. We don't even know whet up to a quarter of the list is going to look like.

I will say though that the way it's looking, there could be a number of established AFL footballers playing a lot of 2s next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back