Analysis Best 22 for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes that RF side is a good side
Personally I am a bit Old Testament and feel we shld Punish this years underperformers
That has to be lmac turner atley
Unlikely that wright post injury will be quick enuf in the modern game
Garner unreliable, so is Jacobs tbh

Plus Zurhaar and walker actually Performed when they got a game
Play em in front of Simpkin if he can’t get more involved

I like this side a lot.

All except Majak forward. If he grows again as a defender we have a potential AA CHB there given how he finished what was a very strong season statistically, second only to McGovern as a marking defender this year. That will be at the expense of McKay, which is crap, as he has a huge ceiling atm. I agree 100% that Thompson has to begin to be phased out next year, or else McKay will be at Carlton in 2020.

It's time to go small ball in the forward line. Brown as the focal point Ziebell, Wood, Hall, Simpkin and preferably Zurhaar all at his feet (or the very unlikely event Garner gets fit again).

Like the side mainly as well. Only real change for mine is Wood out and Walker/Atley in.

We can't go small, we don't have any dangerous small forwards at this stage, some potential but no evidence yet.

Williams - Tarrant - EVW
Pittard - Daw/BMac - Murphy
Dumont - Cunnington - Polec
Hall - Daw/BMac - Wood
Anderson - Brown - Ziebell

Goldstein - Jacobs - Higgins

Tyson, Simpkin, Ahern, LDU

B: Williams, Tarrant, EVW

HB: Mcdonald, Daw, McMillan

C: Higgins, Jacobs, Polec

HF: Hall, Wood, Atley

F: Ziebell, Brown, Simpkin

Foll: Goldy, Cunnington Anderson

Int: Ahern, Dumont, Garner, Wright

Emg: Tyson, Pittard, turner, McKay

Int: Ahern, Anderson, Dumont, LDU

Depth: McDonald, Thompson, Zurhaar, Atley, Wright, Larkey, Garner, Turner, Hrovat, Durdin, Walker, Hayden, TT, Scott.

It's this outer group that interests me most. The influx of seasoned players vs some "favourite" sons will produce some contention.

McDonald needs to find a position and (judging from the outside) some focus too. Would hate it to take a move of clubs to get him super fit and driven.

Thompson plays seniors on ability and condition. It's up to others to force him out.

Wright and Hrovat could be in a spot of trouble after the music stops.

If Zurhaar and to a slightly lesser extent Garner are fit they play. You find a spot. This board as a whole probably rate Garner higher but I see Zurhaar as providing more ground coverage and more damaging with ball in hand.

As Snake_Baker has said Turner's contribution may improve with a strengthened midfield. We still need at least 1 pseudo tagger prowling our forward line preventing rebound.

Walker and Larkey have time on their side and any games on merit are a bonus. Ditto Hayden, TT, Scott. Anyone confidently predicting a Durdin rise would be doing so on little evidential basis.

There is the very real possibility that some 2+ year kids take a big step this year and cement spots too. Guys like Murphy and McKay catch the eye there.

Disturbingly Ahern and Simpkin strike me as players who might suffer from being shuffled around to accommodate depth. It seems absurd to suggest this but there was a time you would've been surprised that Bastinac wasn't going to be a 10 year mid for us too.

Daw - Tax - Williams
EVW - Thomson - McMillan

Higgo - Jacobs - Polec

Goldy - Cunners - Anderson

Hall - Wood - Simpkin
Ziebs - Brown - Turner

McDonald - Dumont - Wright - Ats

Woah. That was hard. Heaps of depth that could still fit in. Lid is off.

It's this outer group that interests me most. The influx of seasoned players vs some "favourite" sons will produce some contention.

McDonald needs to find a position and (judging from the outside) some focus too. Would hate it to take a move of clubs to get him super fit and driven.

Thompson plays seniors on ability and condition. It's up to others to force him out.

If Zurhaar and to a slightly lesser extent Garner are fit they play. You find a spot. This board as a whole probably rate Garner higher but I see Zurhaar as providing more ground coverage and more damaging with ball in hand.

As Snake_Baker has said Turner's contribution may improve with a strengthened midfield. We still need at least 1 pseudo tagger prowling our forward line preventing rebound.

Walker and Larkey have time on their side and any games on merit are a bonus. Ditto Hayden, TT, Scott. Anyone confidently predicting a Durdin rise would be doing so on little evidential basis.

There is the very real possibility that some 2+ year kids take a big step this year and cement spots too. Guys like Murphy and McKay catch the eye there.

Disturbingly Ahern and Simpkin strike me as players who might suffer from being shuffled around to accommodate depth. It seems absurd to suggest this but there was a time you would've been surprised that Bastinac wasn't going to be a 10 year mid for us too.
Interesting call on Garner/Zurhaar. I think Zurhaar is more dangerous around goals but his field kicking is outstripped by Garner's (whose is pretty sloppy to begin with).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the side mainly as well. Only real change for mine is Wood out and Walker/Atley in.

We can't go small, we don't have any dangerous small forwards at this stage, some potential but no evidence yet.

We might have them - it's hard to tell given they've been playing midfield or covering our spread issues. With our ins this off season though we're going to find out pretty quickly.

The absolute best thing about this off season is that we've put massive depth into the middle of the ground. There's nowhere to hide now because this will mean that players like say Higgins can play forward more or a guy like Luke Mc or Jmac have direct competition as well as no easy out by playing them upfield because those positions don't really exist either. It is going to be extremely competitive in there. I suspect some of the whipping boys might look a hell of a lot better in this new setup and some of the stalwarts are going to look decidedly less so when they can't be shuffled around the worst performers like they have previously.

Last edited:
Williams, Thompson, Daw
Wright, Tarrant, EVW
Dumont, Higgins, Polec
Atley, Wood, Ziebell
Simpkin, Brown, Zurhaar

Goldy, Cunnington, Anderson

Int: McMillan, Jacobs, Tyson, Ahern

In all likelihood McDonald and Turner will be in the side, but I've excluded them for now. A run in the twos for LMac is long overdue. LDU, Walker, Murphy and McKay all chances to step up. I'd like to see Pittard and Hall show some good VFL form before being considered.

We have a bit of depth now and I'm feeling good about next year

Here is an interesting proposition.

You have one position available left in your best 22.

Who do you pick?

Anderson or Ahern?

Anderson at this stage. Ahern will be competing with quite a few directly for a role. Anderson is currently fitter and would provide as a 3rd string mid / rotating HF with his physicality.

I think Ahern is more natural, cleaner footballer but as part of the 2019 unit Anderson is currently a slightly better fit.

Williams, Thompson, Daw
Wright, Tarrant, EVW
Dumont, Higgins, Polec
Atley, Wood, Ziebell
Simpkin, Brown, Zurhaar

Goldy, Cunnington, Anderson

Int: McMillan, Jacobs, Tyson, Ahern

In all likelihood McDonald and Turner will be in the side, but I've excluded them for now. A run in the twos for LMac is long overdue. LDU, Walker, Murphy and McKay all chances to step up. I'd like to see Pittard and Hall show some good VFL form before being considered.

We have a bit of depth now and I'm feeling good about next year

Hall and Pittard will be given first crack due to being traded for. Thats how it goes.

My 22:

Pittard Tarrant Williams
Daw Thompson EVW
Dumont Cunners Polec
Ziebell ?????? Atley
Simpkin Brown Garner

Goldstein Higgins Jacobs

Anderson, McDonald, Ahern, LDU/Hall

AFL-level depth: Macmillan, Wright, Zurhaar, Tyson, Walker

The ???? could be one of Wood/Larkey/McKay.

Hall and Pittard will be given first crack due to being traded for. Thats how it goes.

My 22:

Pittard Tarrant Williams
Daw Thompson EVW
Dumont Cunners Polec
Ziebell ?????? Atley
Simpkin Brown Garner

Goldstein Higgins Jacobs

Anderson, McDonald, Ahern, LDU/Hall

AFL-level depth: Macmillan, Wright, Zurhaar, Tyson, Walker

The ???? could be one of Wood/Larkey/McKay.

Hall will. Pittard will need to fight for it IMO over the pre season.

Here is an interesting proposition.

You have one position available left in your best 22.

Who do you pick?

Anderson or Ahern?

I'm on the Anderson as a 70% forward next year bandwagon.

When he first came into the side he wasn't fit, wasn't confident.

I think he might be the player to add that pace and tackling intensity around the half forward line potentially.

I wouldn't mind if he replaced Turner.

I'm on the Anderson as a 70% forward next year bandwagon.

When he first came into the side he wasn't fit, wasn't confident.

I think he might be the player to add that pace and tackling intensity around the half forward line potentially.

I wouldn't mind if he replaced Turner.

Maybe. He's not the steadiest shot on goal (yeah, I know neither is Turner but that doesn't change what we should be aiming for) and he provides significant pressure and hustle around the ball with his speed. Might be wasted down forward although if he's squeezed out and that was the swap I'd do it happily. Still think he might be better in the midfield primarily and others rest forward more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back