Analysis Best 22 for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Raw
Extremely raw
The theory of ruckman taking time is all to do with the fact they will be up against 100+ kilo giants and a rookie or string-bean Rick will get monstered
We will kill his confidence before he establishes himself

I reckon he’s closer then most think. I watched him out mark Preuss a few times at training. I see plenty in him. Very smart with his timing. 100+kg Ruckman are basically training bags if they don’t have the craft...

I reckon he’s closer then most think. I watched him out mark Preuss a few times at training. I see plenty in him. Very smart with his timing. 100+kg Ruckman are basically training bags if they don’t have the craft...
Agreed. His VFL form was solid, and the footy dept must think the same way if we were willing to trade preuss out.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed. His VFL form was solid, and the footy dept must think the same way if we were willing to trade preuss out.

I guess that was my initial thought. They didn't seem to fight too hard to keep Preuss. (Appreciating the line that they didn't really rate him that highly.)
I suspect Xerri well get a debut in 2019. Hopefully he's working his arse off to earn it.

I guess that was my initial thought. They didn't seem to fight too hard to keep Preuss. (Appreciating the line that they didn't really rate him that highly.)
I suspect Xerri well get a debut in 2019. Hopefully he's working his arse off to earn it.

Braydon's downside is he doesn't have an AFL tank.

Tristan is still very raw and played mostly as a CHF in the VFL in 2018.

He's arguably our most valuable player now.

If only we could turn back the Preuss clock now.
It would appear that Pruess wasn't part of our plans. Majak's value wss his versatility. Pruess didn't have that. But he did have trade value.

We went 3-1 in the games Majak missed. As sad as the situation is from a human point of view, from a pure footy perspective I supect we'll be fine. We need to come up with a strategy to cover 5 mins in the ruck each qtr.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The hard decision has been made with regards to Waite. Time to move on and look to the 21 22 year olds to hopefully fill the breach.

McKay and Larkey have performed well in the VFL for the past 2 years. It's their time now.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I watched him a number of times this year.

He looked great and seems to find the goals easily.

In an absolute crisis he could step up and learn in the heat of battle but 1-2 more years and he’ll be good to go!

Xerri looks a better athlete and smarter footballer than Preuss IMHO - Preuss just looks like he will break people in half which is.a likeable trait’

Best case scenario for me is that he comes on early and keeps snapping at Goldie’s heals and either creates good pressure for spots or gives us a tradable commodity next year!

Are most people assuming Maj won’t play again?

I guess it’s entirely speculation until he or the club update on his condition.

originally thought he was gone but...... people have certainly done ludicrous things on pills
he wont be the last
Think Lazarus, hey its nearly Xmas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the way players are dropping like flys in a mortein mist with injuries pre season, I'll reserve my thoughts on the best 22-30 till about Feb. Hopefully our squad will nearly all be available.

Best 22 of players taken outside the ND:
B: Williams Daw Murphy
HB: Pittard ??? McKenzie
C: Ahern Anderson Polec
HF: Higgins ??? Hrovat
F: Turner ??? Zurhaar
Foll: Campbell Tyson Hall
Int: R. O. Murphy, Wilkinson, ???, ???

Just did this to see if I could make a 22, came pretty close.

Things to note:
-Not including Kyron Hayden since he was originally taken in the ND.
-Currently 17/45 have come onto our list outside the National Draft.
-These days we take talls almost purely through the ND (Daw on the rookie list way back in 2009, Campbell DFA and the recently retired Waite FA).
-Clearly we much prefer to develop our own talls. Though Thompson, Brown and Wood were all overagers/mature agers.
-Daw and Turner the only promoted rookies on the main list. I reckon this must be among the lowest in the league. Not that it matters as much with the rules these days.

Best 22 of players taken outside the ND:
B: Williams Daw Murphy
HB: Pittard ??? McKenzie
C: Ahern Anderson Polec
HF: Higgins ??? Hrovat
F: Turner ??? Zurhaar
Foll: Campbell Tyson Hall
Int: R. O. Murphy, Wilkinson, ???, ???

Just did this to see if I could make a 22, came pretty close.

Things to note:
-Not including Kyron Hayden since he was originally taken in the ND.
-Currently 17/45 have come onto our list outside the National Draft.
-These days we take talls almost purely through the ND (Daw on the rookie list way back in 2009, Campbell DFA and the recently retired Waite FA).
-Clearly we much prefer to develop our own talls. Though Thompson, Brown and Wood were all overagers/mature agers.
-Daw and Turner the only promoted rookies on the main list. I reckon this must be among the lowest in the league. Not that it matters as much with the rules these days.

Good effort. They’d probably beat Carlton

Now I'm curious what our list balance looks like if we were only allowed to use players from the ND:
B: Wright Tarrant Thompson
HB: EVW McKay Macmillan
C: McDonald Cunnington Dumont
HF: Garner Ziebell Simpkin
F: Wood Brown Atley
Foll: Goldstein, Jacobs, LDU
Int: Walker, Thomas, Scott, Xerri
Emer: Larkey, Hayden, Watson, Durdin, Taylor, Crocker

B: EVW Tarrant M.Williams
HB: Wright McKay Macmillan
C: Higgins Jacobs Polec
HF: Garner Ziebell Simpkin
F: Wood Brown Atley
Foll: Goldstein, Cunners, Tyson
Int: Hall, Dumont, Anderson, Ahern
Emer: Thompson, LDU, Turner, LMac, Wilkinson, Durdin, Pittard

I think this is a really solid Round 1 side :)

Last edited:
Really shows how bad of a spot Carlton are in when one of their two good players is coming off a year where they were just as effective as Mason Wood.

Luckily for Carlton every single young player with potential has had linear improvement year to year before eventually becoming a superstar.

Really shows how bad of a spot Carlton are in when one of their two good players is coming off a year where they were just as effective as Mason Wood.

Luckily for Carlton every single young player with potential has had linear improvement year to year before eventually becoming a superstar.
And professional arse kissers like Terry Wallace think they are capable of space travel.

B: Williams – Tarrant – Vickers-Willis
HB: Macmillan – Thompson – McDonald
C: Polec – Higgins – Hall
HF: Simpkin – Wood - Atley
F: Ziebell – Brown – Zurhaar
R: Goldstein – Cunnington – Jacobs
Int: Tyson – Anderson – Dumont – Ahern

That’s probably the best collective midfield I have seen at North. If Anderson, Ahern and Simpkin are all fighting fit and show a decent level of improvement then watch out.

Squeezed out:
Turner – Wright – Hrovat

Next cab/s off the rank:
Pittard - McKay – Walker – Davies-Uniacke

EVW and Zurhaar are two that I reckon will come on like a bomb this year and be best 22, replacing Wright and Turner respectively. The latter two made find it difficult to make their way back in with more pressure coming from the likes of Pittard and Walker.

McKay will be given opportunity and may be very hard to dislodge. Either way it is highly likely that this will be Thompson’s last year, so McKay will need to be blooded at some point.

Davies-Uniacke will be first mid to come in for any mid/flanker injuries.

B: Williams – Tarrant – Vickers-Willis
HB: Macmillan – Thompson – McDonald
C: Polec – Higgins – Hall
HF: Simpkin – Wood - Atley
F: Ziebell – Brown – Zurhaar
R: Goldstein – Cunnington – Jacobs
Int: Tyson – Anderson – Dumont – Ahern

That’s probably the best collective midfield I have seen at North. If Anderson, Ahern and Simpkin are all fighting fit and show a decent level of improvement then watch out.

Squeezed out:
Turner – Wright – Hrovat

Next cab/s off the rank:
Pittard - McKay – Walker – Davies-Uniacke

EVW and Zurhaar are two that I reckon will come on like a bomb this year and be best 22, replacing Wright and Turner respectively. The latter two made find it difficult to make their way back in with more pressure coming from the likes of Pittard and Walker.

McKay will be given opportunity and may be very hard to dislodge. Either way it is highly likely that this will be Thompson’s last year, so McKay will need to be blooded at some point.

Davies-Uniacke will be first mid to come in for any mid/flanker injuries.
Good job BT. Only quibble I have is Dumont on the bench for Hall - I think Froggy has a better all-round game. At the end of the day, however, 22 is 22.

I think EVW, fitness permitting, is a reasonably safe bet. Zurhaar less so, but your optimism isn't without foundation and I certainly share the hope he can force his way in, and retain a spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back